Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518155 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3325 on: April 28, 2016, 05:06:18 PM »
I was at the Cinct show last night. Great show. I really hope they have another US tour. That album took a while to grow on me. I'd love another chance to see it.
I was there as well. While the album worked out really well for me in my first few listens, hearing the whole thing live really gave me a new appreciation for it. To me, it sounds huge live and I love that. I'm hoping for another tour as well here in the States, because I would see it again without a doubt.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3326 on: April 28, 2016, 06:28:57 PM »
DT "performance" videos generally blow, but I am sure the Our New World one will be along those lines (in style and quality :lol).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3327 on: April 28, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »
It'll probably be the same as The Looking Glass with some minor animations included. It would be great if they could get a couple of actors to play Faythe and Gabriel in the video.

The song itself completely reminds me of Six Degrees (About to Crash & Reprise). It has a good upbeat feel to it.

That's why I love the song so much. Totally has an ATC vibe about it.

But I'd steer well away from anything involving Faythe/Gabriel in the video, and just keep it really simple.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Mladen

« Reply #3328 on: April 29, 2016, 04:15:25 AM »
I wish they did something along the lines of On the backs of angels, a video that features the band on stage.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3329 on: April 29, 2016, 04:20:25 AM »
I'd forgotten that OTBOA even had them playing on stage. All I remember is JLB's face on the side of a building. :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3330 on: April 29, 2016, 05:35:01 AM »
It'll probably be the same as The Looking Glass with some minor animations included. It would be great if they could get a couple of actors to play Faythe and Gabriel in the video.

The song itself completely reminds me of Six Degrees (About to Crash & Reprise). It has a good upbeat feel to it.

That's why I love the song so much. Totally has an ATC vibe about it.

But I'd steer well away from anything involving Faythe/Gabriel in the video, and just keep it really simple.

I don't see them doing that. It would just be nice for them to have a conceptual video again. And I don't mean some hot chick dropping a looking glass on the floor.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3331 on: April 29, 2016, 05:38:34 AM »
I thought the Looking Glass video was quite classy, aside from the overly literal interpretation of the song title the director did to come up with a girl holding a looking glass. :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3332 on: April 29, 2016, 05:47:52 AM »
I thought the Looking Glass video was quite classy, aside from the overly literal interpretation of the song title the director did to come up with a girl holding a looking glass. :lol

:lol  Exactly.

It wasn't too bad, though. Hell, I shouldn't complain because they actually made a video. Though a looking glass is actually a mirror, so he did improvise a little bit.  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3333 on: April 29, 2016, 09:04:51 AM »
It's such an epic song, I love it.

In terms of video, I wish they did something fun for a change. For example, recreate classic music videos, like Slash standing on the cliff during the November Rain solo, but this time JP with a top hat. Stuff like that would be so awesome.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3334 on: April 29, 2016, 12:45:22 PM »
It's such an epic song, I love it.

In terms of video, I wish they did something fun for a change. For example, recreate classic music videos, like Slash standing on the cliff during the November Rain solo, but this time JP with a top hat. Stuff like that would be so awesome.

Or Jordan with his wizard hat.  :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3335 on: April 30, 2016, 02:34:09 AM »
Seeing as The Astonishing is maybe Dream Theater's least technical album overall and focuses way more on the actual songs than the shredding etc...

I'd *love* to read an interview with Mangini about his playing on the album to see if he talks about playing for the music this time around..

...or whether he bangs on about playing 19/5 again  :biggrin:

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3336 on: April 30, 2016, 03:06:41 AM »
I remember him making a huge post on FB where he talked about one snare roll in like three paragraphs. I really doubt playing for music is the case with him ever.  :lol Music is just numbers to him.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3337 on: April 30, 2016, 05:12:11 AM »
Seeing as The Astonishing is maybe Dream Theater's least technical album overall and focuses way more on the actual songs than the shredding etc...

I'd *love* to read an interview with Mangini about his playing on the album to see if he talks about playing for the music this time around..

...or whether he bangs on about playing 19/5 again  :biggrin:

I remember him making a huge post on FB where he talked about one snare roll in like three paragraphs. I really doubt playing for music is the case with him ever.  :lol Music is just numbers to him.

Because knowledge and application of advanced music theory has never been used to complement the music. Never.

:facepalm:

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3338 on: April 30, 2016, 06:29:01 AM »
Well in Mangini's case it amounts to a whole lot of boring drumming imo.  :biggrin:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3339 on: April 30, 2016, 08:52:35 AM »

He plays to the music all the time. The counts come afterwards.

His post about the snare roll is in The Astonishing where he is playing two snare rolls with different hands at the same time. How that part does not sound musical to you, as Mangini tries to simulate a marching band effect, I will not understand.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3340 on: April 30, 2016, 11:29:04 AM »
Because on the actual song it sounds like a Bog Standard snare drum roll.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3341 on: April 30, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »

Because knowledge and application of advanced music theory has never been used to complement the music. Never.

:facepalm:

It's fine in a band like DT which is all about the technique. But playing to music should be from the heart first and foremost in my opinion.

I'm not saying Mangini doesn't do that but he almost exclusively talks about what he's doing numbers wise.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3342 on: April 30, 2016, 11:44:16 AM »
I'm not saying Mangini doesn't do that but he almost exclusively talks about what he's doing numbers wise.

Well...

1. It's a more interesting way to explain things than "it just felt right".

2. It is possible, like erwin said, that MM plays from feel then breaks it down afterwards to see why it works.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3343 on: April 30, 2016, 11:52:25 AM »
I've always thought of that 'if you're extremely technical in your playing/thinking you can't be emotional with music' phrase as bullshit.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:51:08 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3344 on: April 30, 2016, 12:31:54 PM »
I've always thought of that as 'if you're extremely technical in your playing/thinking you can't be emotional with music' as bullshit.

Agreed. The only people who speak nonsense like that are narrow-minded and most likely unable to do it themselves so they harness a naive notion that if they can't do it, nobody can.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3345 on: April 30, 2016, 07:57:50 PM »
I've always thought of that 'if you're extremely technical in your playing/thinking you can't be emotional with music' phrase as bullshit.

Exactly

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3346 on: May 03, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »
Assuming we're engaging in a general discussion about the matter, and not necessarily only talking about DT: I think the issue is often not that the technical player can't play with emotions at all, but rather he/she *prioritizes* the technical aspect over other considerations (such as whether it jives well with the rest of the music, creates a consistent whole). For example, I have known many a guitar player who was under the belief that a good, interesting guitar solo is created once one employs concepts such as modes (e.g. play in mixolydian) and sweeping etc.
It's a tempting mistake to make. Technicality can always be improved by applying yourself more, spending more time on the instrument. On the other hand, "flows well" and "integrates well into song" are concepts that are much harder to pin down and, frankly, require taste and experience.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3347 on: May 03, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »
Assuming we're engaging in a general discussion about the matter, and not necessarily only talking about DT: I think the issue is often not that the technical player can't play with emotions at all, but rather he/she *prioritizes* the technical aspect over other considerations (such as whether it jives well with the rest of the music, creates a consistent whole). For example, I have known many a guitar player who was under the belief that a good, interesting guitar solo is created once one employs concepts such as modes (e.g. play in mixolydian) and sweeping etc.
It's a tempting mistake to make. Technicality can always be improved by applying yourself more, spending more time on the instrument. On the other hand, "flows well" and "integrates well into song" are concepts that are much harder to pin down and, frankly, require taste and experience.
I will just add that, it is something that is still so subjective that it is hard to pin down even if one is regarded as having a ton of "taste" and "experience."  As you rightly point it, it is very fuzzy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3348 on: May 03, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »
I will just add that, it is something that is still so subjective that it is hard to pin down even if one is regarded as having a ton of "taste" and "experience."  As you rightly point it, it is very fuzzy.

In which case, I would say that MM is not prioritizing technicality over other aspects in his playing because his playing style is always about integrating with what the others are doing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3349 on: May 04, 2016, 12:36:09 AM »
Hahaha...actually their backing tracks messed up at the Denver show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3350 on: May 05, 2016, 12:12:34 AM »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3351 on: May 05, 2016, 12:23:19 AM »
I gotta admit that I laughed at the line: (Talking about the scream in Last Farewell): "Sounds like he went out for the morning paper and stepped on a slug"

But yeah, that was kind of stupid.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3352 on: May 05, 2016, 12:28:48 AM »
"we hated the album, here's us hating the album for a while"
not really disturbing or weird, just kinda dumb and pointless, occasionally a bit funny

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3353 on: May 05, 2016, 06:01:09 AM »
I can't tell if that "review" was meant to be funny or serious, which makes it very uncomfortable to read, haha.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3354 on: May 05, 2016, 07:45:13 AM »
Hahaha...actually their backing tracks messed up at the Denver show.

What part? I was there and didn't notice it.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3355 on: May 05, 2016, 08:51:48 AM »
The dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks site has been updated to include lyrics to all songs.

An interesting bit of trivia: in "The Walking Shadow", the lines 'Don't hold your breath, the night's still young...' are now credited to Daryus. I know most of us had already realised that the Arhys credit was likely a typo, so this confirms it, I guess.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3356 on: May 05, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »
I just spun this today for the first time in about 3 weeks.  I didn't want to burn it out so I put it down after about 3 or 4 spins when it first came out, but this is the first time circling back and I am definitely enjoying it.   :hat

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #3357 on: May 05, 2016, 12:24:37 PM »
Is it me, or this review is really disturbing and weird?

https://www.portlandmercury.com/music/2016/05/04/18007976/a-commentary-on-dream-theaters-magnum-opus

That may be the most pointless review ever written.  Ned needs to dial it back a little.  No one can be that much of an insufferable di** in real life. 
Nevermind, pretty sure Ned is.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3358 on: May 05, 2016, 12:53:16 PM »
Is it me, or this review is really disturbing and weird?

https://www.portlandmercury.com/music/2016/05/04/18007976/a-commentary-on-dream-theaters-magnum-opus

That may be the most pointless review ever written.  Ned needs to dial it back a little.  No one can be that much of an insufferable di** in real life. 
Nevermind, pretty sure Ned is.

It seems like he (Ned) tried to use the review / commentary as a platform for comedy and they all come off sounding really annoying in the process. They make it kind of obvious that it was made for the purpose of ridiculing the album. It's hard to tell who it's actually written for though, maybe people who hate the album? Then again, the humour sucks so I'm still not sure.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3359 on: May 05, 2016, 12:56:37 PM »
I actually found the interview funny even though I love the album. You people need to take a  :chill