Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518120 times)

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #245 on: January 29, 2016, 04:03:47 AM »
Dream Theater upload a lot of the astonishing song in their official youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/dreamtheater/videos

Offline V_R11

« Reply #246 on: January 29, 2016, 04:04:56 AM »
I really want The Astonishing: The Musical
Seasons change and so can I

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2016, 04:08:58 AM »

I have a feeling that their decision to stage a full "The Astonishing"-only tour is a testing of the waters. Now that I had listened to it a lot of times, I find myself thinking that one does not write a musical this elaborate without planning to bring this on stage as a full-scale production at some point.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2016, 04:10:56 AM »
The opening four notes of Ravenskill reminds me of the Tetris theme. Can't stop thinking about it whenever it starts.

What have you done...!

:neverusethis:

Now I'm scared of my next listen :-[

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2016, 04:11:05 AM »
Actually, they uploaded the entire thing.

Offline GJE

« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2016, 04:20:02 AM »
I am deeply impressed, a great dvd.
And am only at number 12.
Can't wait for the live DVD.

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #251 on: January 29, 2016, 04:20:22 AM »
More songs need James' maniacal laughing.

I love that so much. It's cheesy but awesome.

And am I the only one who maniacally laughs along with it? :lol

No hahahahahaha me too!
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #252 on: January 29, 2016, 04:22:00 AM »
I'm about to go into my lunch break, chain store nearby here I come!  :tup stoked to see that the vast majority of the comments are very positive!!!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #253 on: January 29, 2016, 04:28:32 AM »
Only heard the first disc so far but I am absolutely loving what I am hearing. Being brought up with Meat Loaf and The Musical Version of The War of the Worlds, these sorts of things have always been right up my street. I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy the second disc and then delving into the story a little bit more. I can't really fault what they've done though and as with others I have to say that James sounds amazing on it.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #254 on: January 29, 2016, 04:34:47 AM »
Listening to the album for the 4th time now, there's something I really like about A Better Life, it's not groundbreaking or original but its nice.
Plus, the last minute reminds me of Operation Mindcrime  :metal
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline thosava

« Reply #255 on: January 29, 2016, 04:44:49 AM »
The album was in the mailbox when i got home!  :o :o :o
I'm gonna hit play in a couple of minutes. I have never been this excited for a CD before. :corn

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #256 on: January 29, 2016, 04:48:06 AM »
Well, I should have known that sleep would be impossible. Woke up at 2 AM and downloaded the digital version of the album, and man... Wow, just wow. I mean, it might be corny to say, but I truly am astonished. It's definitely everything I was hoping for, but at the same time, so much better than I could have imagined. Part of the reason I got into DT was their awesome super fast playing, but the other part was that they can just take you on these amazing musical journeys, and this album is really so much about the latter. What a trip.

I just wish there was footage of him recording that.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #257 on: January 29, 2016, 04:49:30 AM »

I just wish there was footage of him recording that.

If this isn't the second video on the Astonishing page, I'm going to be really disappointed now.

Or maybe if you click the NOMAC eyes, it just plays audio of JLB maniacally laughing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #258 on: January 29, 2016, 04:52:44 AM »
And what's so special about the STILL unlocked places tab, why is it so important when we've heard the album, know the characters, know the story?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #259 on: January 29, 2016, 04:54:46 AM »
And what's so special about the STILL unlocked places tab, why is it so important when we've heard the album, know the characters, know the story?
Well, considering that RR hasn't sent people their digital downloads yet, I'm guessing all that stuff will probably be unlocked and sent out by some guy who's probably still sleeping, lol. JP also said they were planning to have the track list link to actual explanations of scenes for people who didn't quite get what's happening in the story, so there should be more to that as well.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: January 29, 2016, 04:55:17 AM »

Don't know, but I don't see any reason for it not to be revealed now. Maybe later today?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #261 on: January 29, 2016, 04:56:19 AM »
Tonight before I sleep, I would listen with the intent of focusing on John Myung. Many are complaining that he underplayed in the record, but off the top of my head, I can remembers distinct moments like the intro of A Life Left Behind, the groovy section of A New Beginning, the outro of Moment of Betrayal, the "rap" and the fast section of the Path That Divides, and the heavy section of My Last Farewell. Usually my trick here is to listen at a low volume because that is when I hear him more.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:02:33 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #262 on: January 29, 2016, 04:57:07 AM »

Don't know, but I don't see any reason for it not to be revealed now. Maybe later today?

Hope so Blob, I hope so  >:(   :'(
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #263 on: January 29, 2016, 05:01:36 AM »
Anybody here loved the slow polyrhythms by Mangini in The Walking Shadow? See, that staple of his drum solos CAN be musical.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:06:48 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: January 29, 2016, 05:03:25 AM »
I was just walking back to work after my lunch break, listening to A Life Left Behind on Spotify - it's one of the standout tracks for me so far. I'm a sucker for catchy choruses. And that "video gamey" intro is nice too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #265 on: January 29, 2016, 05:05:08 AM »
I've only listened to the first disc so far.

I don't like it.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2016, 05:06:33 AM »
On my 4th listen, also up to a Life Left Behind.
Intro reminds me of Yes.
And oddly enough, the rest of song makes me want to hear Devin Townsend do an Epicloud style version of it!  :lol
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2016, 05:07:02 AM »
I was just walking back to work after my lunch break, listening to A Life Left Behind on Spotify - it's one of the standout tracks for me so far. I'm a sucker for catchy choruses. And that "video gamey" intro is nice too.

Definitely a standout track. The last "I'm waking up" part is pure bliss.  :hefdaddy

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2016, 05:08:19 AM »
I love that piano intro to Ravenskill!
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2016, 05:10:15 AM »

When it goes heavy it gets even better. Definitely my favourite track so far.  :metal

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #270 on: January 29, 2016, 05:13:13 AM »

When it goes heavy it gets even better. Definitely my favourite track so far.  :metal

Hello fellow Devhead?!!  :tup  :metal
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: January 29, 2016, 05:19:02 AM »

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #272 on: January 29, 2016, 05:20:05 AM »
Don't like Chosen at all, makes me feel a bit sick   :angry:

But A Tempting Offer, Woah. Polytonal piano intro by the sound of it, back to the prog again!
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #273 on: January 29, 2016, 05:27:23 AM »
There is so many highlights from this album! Im really starting to love it.

My favs, of the top of my head:
A new begining solo - deffinietly the best moment in the album imo
Nefarius! love the theatricality
The choir and instrumental in TGOM remain amazing for me
Intros to Heavens cove and A life left behind

Over all loving it the more I listen to it. And im satisfied to see there are plenty of awesome JP solos, I kinda fearded there wouldnt be enough.

So far the only thing im dissapointed in is the ending. Not that its not good, it fits, but I really wanted it to end with an epic guitar solo ala Razors edge or IT.

Offline James.v6

« Reply #274 on: January 29, 2016, 05:36:08 AM »
Totally fall in love with TA. Lot of strong moments.
First 10 songs of Act 1..really killed me. Labrie have one of The most awesome vocal moments of his career. All of the JP solos are very soulful.
Songs like A Better Life, A Savior in The Square and Lord Nafaryus oh god a missed songs like that. Evil moments like in A Tempting Offer ufff.
Really Astonishing.

Offline lightbug

« Reply #275 on: January 29, 2016, 05:41:50 AM »
in "The walking shadow", at 2:03, that is faythe theme  :o , what a nice detail , before... well you know  ;)

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #276 on: January 29, 2016, 05:45:25 AM »
I'm liking it more every time I listen to it. This is surely the band having a LOT of fun.

Must mention separately that Our New World is one of the coolest tracks they've EVER put out. I'm anxious just thinking about seeing it live!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #277 on: January 29, 2016, 05:53:45 AM »

I have a feeling that their decision to stage a full "The Astonishing"-only tour is a testing of the waters. Now that I had listened to it a lot of times, I find myself thinking that one does not write a musical this elaborate without planning to bring this on stage as a full-scale production at some point.
I mean to honor the fact that they go by the name Dream Theater, I feel that would be their true destiny.  :P
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #278 on: January 29, 2016, 05:57:41 AM »

I mean to honor the fact that they go by the name Dream Theater, I feel that would be their true destiny.  :P

They started it with the last album. The last album is constructed like a concert set, with a theatrical opening, the sequence of the songs arranged to pace like a concert, and ending with some sort of end credits music.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #279 on: January 29, 2016, 05:59:19 AM »
Hey all. I'm a long time lurker on DTF, but feel compelled to post something for once.

I totally love this album - so many great moments!

Some thoughts:

• JLB!!! - Fantastic job. He really gets to shine on this album.
  • JP - Some really tasty solos. Though they seem to sit a little further back in the mix than usual??
  • The production is really great. Lots of breathing room for all the different elements.
  • It's definitely best appreciated when listening from start to finish. It's not the type of album you dip in and out of.
  • The story wasn't totally clear to me for the first couple of listens. I'll need to get the lyrics to see who's talking when.
  • I think this album is going to work really well in the live setting. This was a bit of a concern when I bought the concert ticket up front, but I can totally see how it will translate to the stage.

So far the only thing im dissapointed in is the ending. Not that its not good, it fits, but I really wanted it to end with an epic guitar solo ala Razors edge or IT.

I'd agree with this, though it's only a minor nitpick. "Astonishing" (the final track) is excellent, but they could have milked it out for another couple of minutes and I would have been totally fine with that.

I'm going to have this playing constantly from now until the 18th Feb in the London Palladium. Cannot wait!!