Author Topic: Mastodon - Crack the skye  (Read 25342 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Mastodon - Crack the skye
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2014, 11:30:44 AM »
NO.FUCKING.SOUTH EAST DATES.

What the fuck. I'd at least expect some, seeing that Mastodon are from the god damned South East.

3rd time in a row I have a 0% chance to see Kvelertak because they've never breached Florida, but fuck they can sure go to Minneapolis every time now that I've moved down south.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2014, 11:32:38 AM »
This might not be the right thread (but since when do I care...), but can someone rec me a few Kvelertak songs? I've heard a lot about them, but never actually heard 'em before.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »
Inb4 I say

"ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL OF THE SONGS"

but check out

Mjod
Offernatt
Liktorn
Ordsmedar Av Rang
Utrydd Dei Svake
Bruane Brenn
Evig Vandrar
Underto

a little bit of each album right there.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2014, 11:42:18 AM »
Utrydd Dei Svake

LieLow sent me that one in my roulette, it's pretty damn kickass.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2014, 11:45:16 AM »
I honest to god think it's the best ending to an album ever.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:54:15 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »
:tup

Offline NotePad

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
With metal (and most music) the whole labeling sub-genres of other genre's, and sub-genres of those sub-genres is gradually becoming obsolete. With bands like Mastodon, Deftones, A Perfect Circle and many others becoming more popular, people are finding it more and more difficult to put labels on bands. So I expect it to just stop. Whatever happened to a bands just being a Metal band? There are no new metal bands that are just or mainly considered a Metal band.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2014, 01:51:03 PM »
That's because there are very few bands who play just straight-up metal. There still are some, though. Accept comes to mind, I've only ever heard them described as "metal" or "heavy metal". And I don't think genre classification will ever go away. It does get a bit ridiculous at times, but it is still often useful and relevant.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
I'm very interested in how the upcoming album is going to sound musically. Apparently they're almost done making it, so it'll probably be out in a few months. From what I've read of what the band's said so far, it looks like it's going to be like Remission meets The Hunter.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »
Labeling sub-genres isn't necessarily a bad thing though. It makes it easier for people to find music they like. If all metal music was labeled "metal", it would be really hard to find what you are looking for. Sub-genres is good in that sense, it gives you something to go on.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2014, 04:34:31 PM »
That's because there are very few bands who play just straight-up metal. There still are some, though. Accept comes to mind, I've only ever heard them described as "metal" or "heavy metal". And I don't think genre classification will ever go away. It does get a bit ridiculous at times, but it is still often useful and relevant.

I cannot stand the whole black metal 'elite' thing they've got going on, where anything other than black metal is not true and/or kvlt.  That shit is ridiculous and does my head in.  I posted a BTBAM video to my fb one day and a couple of guys went ape shit about it not being 'true' metal and being hipster gay fag progressive core blah blah.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »
Ever been to Metal Archives? The mods there have some sort of personal beef with BTBAM not being "metal". I think I lurked there for about a day before deciding all the "has to be the most brutal thing ever to be metal" mentality wasn't for me. :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2014, 05:07:24 PM »
Yeah!  That place and, like, Encyclopedia Metallum or whatever.  Their seriousness about it all is fucking hilarious. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2014, 05:12:44 PM »
Back when Decibel Magazine still had a forum, it could get really bad. A bunch of cranky 40+ year olds who shat on every musical opinion you shared, even if you went back a few pages and they liked the band you tried talking about as well.

Pretty much everything was dubbed "Entombedcore" because I guess every modern metal band is trying to copy Entombed (even if one I like a lot does worship at the altar of Entombed, I don't see why that's a bad thing)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2014, 05:33:33 PM »
I find a lot of modern metal bands "mediocore ".

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »
I will admit, I lolled. (lol'd? lold?)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »
Agreed. ;)

Also, mediocore is going into my personal lexicon.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2014, 09:38:21 PM »
They're not sludge metal -- that comes from my hometown of New Orleans in the form of Crowbar, DOWN, EyeHateGod, etc.  Think slow tuned down Sabbathy metal mixed with some Melvins.  :blackfloyd:

Mastodon has a more prog sound to it than sludge.

Sadly, I've found I like Mastodon less with each passing album....   :(  I love "Remission" and "Leviathan" and find both to be stellar classics, but I've liked each album in succession since those less and less.  Finally got to see them live for the first time when they toured as part of Mayhem last year and they were just ... boring.  Granted, they were an odd fit for the Mayhem lineup but I was really excited to see them and then .... pfffft.  :sadpanda: They were just underwhelming, unengaged with the crowd, dull.  I was extremely disappointed.  I'd go give them another try if they come close again, but that show last summer really was a major letdown.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2014, 10:01:01 PM »
Sadly, I've found I like Mastodon less with each passing album....   :(  I love "Remission" and "Leviathan" and find both to be stellar classics, but I've liked each album in succession since those less and less.
I totally agree. I think Leviathan is an incredible album and would probably be in my top 20. What I've heard from Remission was pretty good.  But the rest just doesn't do anything for me.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2014, 10:49:40 PM »
Holy fuck! Back to back posts from cats who've got the same (extremely uncommon on DTF) Mastodon opinion as me. Much love, Tommy and Ricky :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline NotePad

« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2014, 01:43:00 AM »
I'm not too familar with Mastodon other then the Crack The Sky album (feels like i said that already....) But I really enjoy this album. It's great. I'm a big Deftones fan and apparently their lead guitarist is a huge Mastodon fan and there is some influence in their last couple albums. Personally, I'd rather Mastodon not influence Deftones because that means the music will be less like White Pony, which is the direction i'd like Deftones to go more in (more spacey and trip-hop-ish, less blatant heaviness). But I'm not here to talk about Deftones (although i tend to).

Mastodon has seemed like they are on the verge on being gigantic, like Metallica big (maybe). And maybe they are really big. But a while ago when i first started hearing about them it seemed like they were the REAL metal band finally on the verge of huge commercial success. But that doesn't seemed to have happened. But I guess i don't listen to radio and all that mainstream music talk. I could be wrong. But this seems like the situation, and they just never had their Black album. At least not yet. But of course, they are still VERY popular. Just not, you know...But I could be wrong. Please correct me if im wrong. And explain to me the situation.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2014, 06:59:02 AM »
Holy fuck! Back to back posts from cats who've got the same (extremely uncommon on DTF) Mastodon opinion as me. Much love, Tommy and Ricky :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart
:lol :tup :tup :tup

Mastodon has seemed like they are on the verge on being gigantic, like Metallica big (maybe). And maybe they are really big. But a while ago when i first started hearing about them it seemed like they were the REAL metal band finally on the verge of huge commercial success. But that doesn't seemed to have happened. But I guess i don't listen to radio and all that mainstream music talk. I could be wrong. But this seems like the situation, and they just never had their Black album. At least not yet. But of course, they are still VERY popular. Just not, you know...But I could be wrong. Please correct me if im wrong. And explain to me the situation.

They are certainly getting the love from critics more with each album but they're still not on the verge of Metallica huge by any stretch.  They're big enough to headline small theaters but I think the arena headlining is still not on the horizon unless they do create their own Black Album of sorts in the future.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2014, 01:25:14 PM »
I think they SHOULD create their own Black album ;) Something more easy to digest by the general public, making their careers skyrocket!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
Or they should make whatever the heck they want, without regard for whether people like it.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2014, 01:54:59 PM »
I think they SHOULD create their own Black album ;) Something more easy to digest by the general public, making their careers skyrocket!
I'd rather see them not go commercial. If they wanna go that direction, then whatever, but from the sounds of it, they're supposedly going Remission/The Hunter on this next album, and that sounds incredibly radular.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »
I'm a fan of all of their work. Fans trip me out wanting a band to create the same album over and over. Metal can be very stagnant and sound very samey to me if it doesn't change it up and branch out the way Mastodon has over its career. I would get bored with them if every album was same as Leviathan. Although the album is awesome and brutal there's just not enough there for me to enjoy listening to that style over and over beyond a few albums.. there has to be more depth for me long term. IMO Mastodon has thus far brilliantly moved their sound around.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »

If they can make a acessible album without dumbing down their music...
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »
Personally, I love Leviathan and Crack The Skye. Haven't heard most of the others, so I can't comment on that.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »
I call The Hunter their Black Album except, well, good. ;)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2014, 08:43:08 PM »
I call The Hunter their Black Album except, well, good. ;)

^ This.

Also, been listening to Remission a lot more lately. It's grown tremendously on me since I first heard it back in October. Definitely one of their bests, along with Leviathan and Crack the Skye.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2014, 09:27:16 PM »
I agree, bands need to evolve, otherwise they're Motley Crue.

I'v been getting into Isis. They still play together thought, most of them, as Palms with Chino Moreno, they're even gonna do another album. They probably felt like they couldn't bring the music they make with Isis any further, so they decided to create a new "band", without tarnishing the Isis name. Just my theory, of course.

But it's a theory that makes you think. How can a band like Mastodon do something new and exciting but still sound like the same band? I'm sure they can do it. Metallica did it with the Black album, and of course continued to do it with they're next albums. Obviously some think it was too drastic ;p I love their older thrash, but imagine they didn't change like they did. They would be Megadeth. Death Magnetic was IMHO great because it felt new and not stale because they returned to a style they did earlier but stopped, coming back to it from a new and mature angel. (i know, comments like these create shitstorms, if you have any comments meet me in the Metallica thread ;)

On a slight related note though, i remember Metallica say Korn was the future of metal once upon a time. They were wrong of course. But from what I keep hearing in different place and from metal fans and musicians talking about influences, part of me feels that Mastodon may be the future of metal. I'm not exactly sure what I mean....but i think they're a very important band right now and influencing a lot of new and their fellow contemporary bands.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2014, 09:31:34 PM »
I love Mastodon, but honestly I feel like their importance in the metal scene is a bit overstated.

As far as your other point, why should they have to be confined to what people consider "their sound"? If a band wants to change their name or whatever to release different music, I'm cool with that, but I also don't mind a band releasing drastically different sounding albums under the same name. Devy does it, Ulver does it, other bands do it.

Obviously, it's up to the band themselves, but as for me, I have no problem with it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2014, 10:49:55 AM »
Agreed. ;)

Also, mediocore is going into my personal lexicon.

:hug:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2019, 07:53:44 AM »
Back in the summer of 2008 when we finished recording our 5th full length album Crack the Skye, we felt like we had created something very special. That is why, to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of one of our proudest moments, we decided to take it out on tour and play it start to finish along with some other golden oldies of course. Can’t wait to see all of you on tour so we can celebrate Crack the Skye’s birthday together!!

We’ve also made some brand new Crack The Skye merch. You can check it out at http://mastodonrocks.com/cracktheskye.

Lastly, we’re rolling out a series of never before seen videos from the making of Crack The Skye. Check out episode on their FB page!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2019, 11:15:20 AM »
I had no idea you were a member of Mastodon, Ministro.  :metal