Author Topic: Gas Station Question  (Read 10388 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Gas Station Question
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2016, 08:23:49 AM »
 :rollin @ these past two pages.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2016, 08:47:13 AM »
i'm with Chino.

That is called a toaster oven.

It has two settings, one for an oven, and one for toasting.  I've had many in my life, they are great for toasting something you don't want set upright (like a traditional toaster).  Such as toasting bread with butter on it, or making grilled cheese.

Granted, it is more oven than toaster, but technically is still a toaster as it has a toaster setting.

Well, that is my view on it at least.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2016, 08:52:56 AM »
What this thread needs is a poll!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2016, 09:10:58 AM »
toast·er
ˈtōstər
noun
noun: toaster; plural noun: toasters
1. an electrical device for making toast.
2. a DJ who accompanies reggae with improvised rhythmic speech.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2016, 09:17:13 AM »
Crap. Then my electric start stove is a toaster!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2016, 09:47:57 AM »
Serious question, why is leaving a toaster plugged in a bad idea, but leaving the microwave, stove, refrigerator, televisions, clocks, fish tanks, washing machine, dryer, guitar amplifiers, computers, video game consoles, cellphone chargers, and lamps plugged in not a bad idea?

On one hand, you right boo. If you really want to go the extra paranoid mile, you should unplug everything to be safe. But that's a little too nuts. (Most) Toasters are still these near medieval devices that use fucking springs to keep the tray from falling and subsequently activating the coils that heat up to toast the bread. Most often, sure, those springs are probably fine; but after a while and having a toaster for a certain amount of time (and there's a lot of people out there that have toasters from when they were these fancy high tech devices and are 20+ years old, even if they're rich and fancy otherwise, it's weird), it isn't a stretch to say that those springs are probably wearing thin and all it takes is a slight depression of those springs to activate the heating coils (or any number of others situations that don't require adults to activate it). Then all it takes is paper being close to it, a wooden cabinet overhead, toast being left in it, etc. and you've got yourself a much higher probability of a nice fire.

Most of the other things you mentioned require explicit negligence and/or a pretty big requirement of adult interaction for turning it on (although a dryer is another one that is a more-common-than-others fire hazard...actually I'd bet it's the most common out of anything discussed in here).

As for the other extremely important topic of toaster names...I'm with Chino on the first pic, it's a toaster oven. At least in the picture he posted, I've only seen those types called toaster ovens. Otherwise, it's just a 'toaster' in regards to the pop-up toaster. But a toaster oven, mmm, now that is a different beast altogether, my dear watson.

I fucking love these discussions. DTF - Only discussion the real hard hitting, world-affecting topics.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2016, 09:51:06 AM »
Yeah, it's a toaster oven.

It's not a toaster.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2016, 09:52:03 AM »
I never put much thought into leaving the power cable for my toaster (not toaster oven, I haven't pulled that out from the basement in years).  I leave mine plugged in and use it maybe every other weekend on average.  I don't see it as a threat because you need to not just push down on the toast, but also push a button to start it. 

I am more worried about the candle I keep close to my firework on my desk  :lol and even then I still light the candle every night  :biggrin:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2016, 09:56:50 AM »
Serious question, why is leaving a toaster plugged in a bad idea, but leaving the microwave, stove, refrigerator, televisions, clocks, fish tanks, washing machine, dryer, guitar amplifiers, computers, video game consoles, cellphone chargers, and lamps plugged in not a bad idea?

On one hand, you right boo. If you really want to go the extra paranoid mile, you should unplug everything to be safe. But that's a little too nuts. (Most) Toasters are still these near medieval devices that use fucking springs to keep the tray from falling and subsequently activating the coils that heat up to toast the bread. Most often, sure, those springs are probably fine; but after a while and having a toaster for a certain amount of time (and there's a lot of people out there that have toasters from when they were these fancy high tech devices and are 20+ years old, even if they're rich and fancy otherwise, it's weird), it isn't a stretch to say that those springs are probably wearing thin and all it takes is a slight depression of those springs to activate the heating coils (or any number of others situations that don't require adults to activate it). Then all it takes is paper being close to it, a wooden cabinet overhead, toast being left in it, etc. and you've got yourself a much higher probability of a nice fire.

Fair enough. You know what would alleviate some of that risk? If people stopped buying outdated POPUP TOASTERS and instead purchased a modern day, high tech toaster 'oven'.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2016, 10:00:35 AM »
I never put much thought into leaving the power cable for my toaster (not toaster oven, I haven't pulled that out from the basement in years).  I leave mine plugged in and use it maybe every other weekend on average.  I don't see it as a threat because you need to not just push down on the toast, but also push a button to start it. 

I am more worried about the candle I keep close to my firework on my desk  :lol and even then I still light the candle every night  :biggrin:

Not on mine and tons upon tons of others I've seen...you just push the lever holding up the trays, which is held up by springs, down and it automatically starts heating. No buttons or anything else except for that very easily moved lever.

The past few years I've been in the habit of just putting the whole toaster up because of space; but even before my niece came around and I was dating my then-girlfriend who has two kids, I was already getting into the habit of putting it up because boys of 3 and 5 are anarchist pyromaniacs and want nothing more than to poop on the world before setting it on fire whilst eating a burnt poptart.

Fair enough. You know what would alleviate some of that risk? If people stopped buying outdated POPUP TOASTERS and instead purchased a modern day, high tech toaster 'oven'.

Absolutely!

Plus...there's nothing like the satisfaction of seeing it pop up. Who cares if it might start a fire? It pops up. It's like "HELLLOOOOO DOLL, I'M READY!"

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
A toaster oven is hardly more high tech, it's just in a safer box. :lol

You know what is outdated though? Referring to a toaster as a popup toaster. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2016, 10:03:39 AM »
Yeah, it's a toaster oven.

It's not a toaster.

But a square is also a rectangle, and is still a square as well.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2016, 10:05:11 AM »

But we are at least in agreement that a toaster oven (the thing I pictured on the last page) is a toaster?

My toaster is high tech as fuck. It stays on the temperature I command it to, and it has a timer on it. I can broil and not broil on command, and it even has a light in it!! Unlike those popup toasters, I can toast a leftover piece of pizza and not have to worry about molten cheese dripping on heating elements because it comes with a high tech tray that catches that gooey gold.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »

But we are at least in agreement that a toaster oven (the thing I pictured on the last page) is a toaster?

No. What would make you think that? :lol A toaster oven is an oven, as it's name implies. It's a type of oven. The main difference between a toaster oven and an oven is the size. It is not a toaster. It is an oven that can be used to replace a toaster. And as you have explained, it can cook other things that are not to be toasted, as an oven does.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:17:50 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2016, 10:09:13 AM »
No one calls that a toaster.  Except you.

No one calls a toaster a popup toaster.  Except you.

If you own it, you can call it whatever you want, but even people in Australia have this one right.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2016, 10:10:14 AM »
 :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2016, 10:13:05 AM »
If you own it, you can call it whatever you want, but even people in Australia have this one right.

If Australia can get it right, you've got no excuse.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2016, 10:13:27 AM »
Although this does tempt me to cram a TV dinner into a traditional "popup" toaster and see what happens.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »
Toaster oven - it is BOTH a toaster AND an oven.  I don't understand why one cannot except the fact that it is still a toaster?  You don't bake the toast you put in it, you toast it by turning on the toast setting and them boom, the toast is toast... just like a toaster.  It even has the coils in it, just like a toaster.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2016, 10:23:26 AM »
Because as the name implies, it's an oven.  That makes toast.  And other things.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2016, 10:24:29 AM »
I think it's clear what we have to do. We must settle this the only way DTF knows how. New thread, poll. Is a toaster oven a toaster? Yes. No.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
I think it's clear what we have to do. We must settle this the only way DTF knows how. New thread, poll. Is a toaster oven a toaster? Yes. No.

Yes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2016, 10:27:21 AM »
Brian, you will lose in a landslide. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »
Because as the name implies, it's an oven.  That makes toast.  And other things.

The name also implies it's a toaster and even comes first in the name toaster oven (not that it matters)

My printer can scan and print, is it not also a scanner?  If I called it a scanner, that would still be correct.  It also prints and can also be called a printer. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2016, 10:28:39 AM »

The name also implies it's a toaster and even comes first in the name toaster oven (not that it matters)

My printer can scan and print, is it not also a scanner?  If I called it a scanner, that would still be correct.  It also prints and can also be called a printer. 

YOUR PRINTER IS AN ABOMINATION OF NATURE!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2016, 10:31:09 AM »

YOUR PRINTER IS AN ABOMINATION OF NATURE!

This we can agree upon, it's a piece of shit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2016, 10:33:03 AM »

Who are you?  Ben f'ing Franklin???  What ink do you use for dipping your nib into? 

:)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »

Who are you?  Ben f'ing Franklin???  What ink do you use for dipping your nib into? 

:)

:lol I'm old school like that

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2016, 10:36:13 AM »
For fucks sake, a toaster oven is a toaster, but you call it a toaster oven because it also serves as an oven. A toaster is only a toaster.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2016, 10:41:10 AM »

I won the last landslide that tried to bury me.

Avatar is #1 of all time in both the domestic and global box office. Will Star Wars VII top that?
Yes                     59 (89.4%)
No                      4 (6.1%)
Only domestically 3 (4.5%

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2016, 10:43:08 AM »

Or its name implies that it's a toaster, primarily, and can cook other things.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2016, 10:43:24 AM »

I won the last landslide that tried to bury me.

What do you mean you won? It was a poll about two movies, that you started. The question had nothing to do with you personally or burying you. Grow up.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2016, 10:45:05 AM »

What is this?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2016, 10:45:48 AM »
A clock radio, toaster oven?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2016, 10:46:27 AM »
The answer to that would have nothing to do with a toaster oven.

Unless you have a toaster oven clock radio, the unholiest of all appliances.