Author Topic: Gas Station Question  (Read 10372 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Gas Station Question
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2016, 05:00:23 PM »
This thread reminds me, it also baffles me when people leave their cars running to go run inside a convenience store to get stuff. I always hope someone jacks their car just on principle and so I can get to see some doofy "HUH?!" face when they come out and realize their car isn't there.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »
One time I accidentally left my car running and unlocked through an entire movie back in high school. Luckily it was there when I left.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2016, 05:14:16 PM »
Bosk 20 years from now:  Hey, remember that thread way back when that dude was confused about toasters and tried to convince us that he really believed a toaster oven was a toaster?
Hef 20 years from now:  What are you talking about?  Nobody in their right mind would think that.  A toaster oven is an oven.
Bosk:  Yeah, I know.  But the dude was seriously confused.  Remember him?  The dude that thought Avatar was a good movie?
Hef:  ...  OH!  Wasn't that the dude that fell off the balcony or something?  I remember him now.
Bosk:  Anyhow, I'm going to go make a sammich.
Hef:  ...  Cold?  Or...toasted?
Both:  :rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2016, 05:18:15 PM »
Bosk 20 years from now:  Hey, remember that thread way back when that dude was confused about toasters and tried to convince us that he really believed a toaster oven was a toaster?
Hef 20 years from now:  What are you talking about?  Nobody in their right mind would think that.  A toaster oven is an oven.
Bosk:  Yeah, I know.  But the dude was seriously confused.  Remember him?  The dude that thought Avatar was a good movie?
Hef:  ...  OH!  Wasn't that the dude that fell off the balcony or something?  I remember him now.

Baked is the way you want that sandwich!!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2016, 08:06:42 PM »
Then I'm confused as fuck right now. We've had those all my life and they have always been referred to as a toaster. There are popup toasters, and then there are rack toasters. There's a toast setting on it. What am I missing? 

Chino I've been calling that a toaster all my life too. A convection oven I thought was a regular oven that circulated air for faster cooking.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »
This thread reminds me, it also baffles me when people leave their cars running to go run inside a convenience store to get stuff. I always hope someone jacks their car just on principle and so I can get to see some doofy "HUH?!" face when they come out and realize their car isn't there.
One time I accidentally left my car running and unlocked through an entire movie back in high school. Luckily it was there when I left.  :lol
You guys make it sound like every random passerby is a car thief at heart. "Wow, I've never broken any laws before, but this running car is just too good to pass up. I'd be stupid not to steel it." The truth is a very, very small percentage of the population is into auto theft, and even those guys aren't necessarily looking to take any car they can get their hands on.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »
You're absolutely right, but the fear when I walked out to my car still having been on and open for over two hours was real as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2016, 09:31:47 PM »

Heh, I've been saying this same thing for years.  It boggles the mind. There is simply no logical reason to leave a car running and risk your car getting stolen.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2016, 09:53:51 PM »

Heh, I've been saying this same thing for years.  It boggles the mind. There is simply no logical reason to leave a car running and risk your car getting stolen.
Wanna bet? When I was driving an Audi last year, there was an issue with the chip in the steering column. The dealer told me at some random point between now and six months it would just fail to start and cost two grand to have repaired. (Ironically the chip in question was actually to prevent theft  :lol ) I left the car running at the grocery store all the time with the doors locked. If it actually had been stolen the insurance money would have been greater than the value of the car less the repair. Of course there's never a fucking car thief around when you want one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2016, 10:40:32 PM »
I'd put money on the fact that about 80% of the people in my area are car thieves.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2016, 01:19:53 AM »
One should never ever attempt to make toast in a running car while pumping gas. Just a very bad idea.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2016, 08:04:58 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2016, 08:15:31 AM »
You guys make it sound like every random passerby is a car thief at heart. "Wow, I've never broken any laws before, but this running car is just too good to pass up. I'd be stupid not to steel it." The truth is a very, very small percentage of the population is into auto theft, and even those guys aren't necessarily looking to take any car they can get their hands on.

While you are right and the odds are so ridiculously low, it still just doesn't feel right for me to leave my car like that.  But to each his own.  My x's parents would sleep with their front door unlocked, I could never.  They questioned me one time for parking the car in their driveway and locking it.  It's just a natural habit, but it makes me feel better.  Just a state of mind to know I am just slightly more safe I guess.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2016, 08:30:55 AM »
Driving a manual car puts my mind at ease about theft. The number of people who are going to attempt to steal it is significantly reduced. I usually won't leave it running if the car will be out of my sight.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2016, 08:35:05 AM »
Friend of mine had his car jacked in Bridgeport.   Door pulled open, and (what he thought was) a gun stuck into his side, and told to "get out".  The guy didn't know how to drive a stick.  He lurched the car about 50 feet down the road, stalled it out, got out and ran like hell.   My friend got in his car and went back to work (I don't know if he ever called the police or not). 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2016, 09:19:24 AM »
Friend of mine had his car jacked in Bridgeport.   Door pulled open, and (what he thought was) a gun stuck into his side, and told to "get out".  The guy didn't know how to drive a stick.  He lurched the car about 50 feet down the road, stalled it out, got out and ran like hell.   My friend got in his car and went back to work (I don't know if he ever called the police or not).

I ordered Chinese the other night from a place that is always super punctual. This time around, the food was about 45 minutes late. The delivery guy finally gets to my house (we are on a friendly basis through past deliveries) and he was like "Dude, I'm so sorry this took forever. Some guy just tried to steal my car with $2k in it. I had to put down your food and I chased him. He must not have seen me running after him because I caught up to him at a red light and beat the piss out of him. I had to have your food remade because it got cold sitting out on the sidewalk".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2016, 09:24:21 AM »
That's an awesome dedicated chinese delivery man! 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2016, 09:30:50 AM »
:clap: That guy is an everyday hero.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2016, 10:14:57 AM »
He was trolling for tips.   :)   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2016, 10:33:43 AM »
And beating ass.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2016, 03:59:56 PM »
WHY IS THE TOASTER THREAD CALLED GAS STATION QUESTION.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2016, 04:05:35 PM »
okay now that I got done reading it...

no I never left my car running. The first time I was in a car that was left running while pumping gas, Nick did it and it was Nick's car. He says he was a gas station attendant for a long time and nothing bad ever happened doing that. I still shut my car off.

And that is not "a toaster".

It's "a toaster oven".

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2016, 04:56:30 PM »
Homegrown Jersey, they get pissed if u pump ur own gas, Pass the Mason/Dixon they get pissed if you don't. Act like a crazy dude,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they do not care  ethier way I carry a .45 toaster oven. it is pretty accurate. Take my Dodge Charger fine but do not fu with my toaster oven.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2016, 05:01:01 PM »
Homegrown Jersey, they get pissed if u pump ur own gas, Pass the Mason/Dixon they get pissed if you don't. Act like a crazy dude,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they do not care  ethier way I carry a .45 toaster oven. it is pretty accurate. Take my Dodge Charger fine but do not fu with my toaster oven.

yeah I was hauling ass awhile back trying to make good time down to Jersey to meet axeman and nick for a show and I pulled into a gas station and got out and just started pumping my gas and some guy walked up to me and I was like "um, hi?" and he just stared and I said "oh.. this is Jersey, right? the gas thing." and he just nodded so I said "well I'm almost done now let me just finish quick and I'll be out of here" and before he could say anything I finished up, hung up the pump, got back into my Jeep, and left. I'm from NY, I don't have time to be futzing and putzing around with all that crap.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2016, 05:05:44 PM »

yeah I was hauling ass awhile back trying to make good time down to Jersey to meet axeman and nick for a show and I pulled into a gas station and got out and just started pumping my gas and some guy walked up to me and I was like "um, hi?" and he just stared and I said "oh.. this is Jersey, right? the gas thing." and he just nodded so I said "well I'm almost done now let me just finish quick and I'll be out of here" and before he could say anything I finished up, hung up the pump, got back into my Jeep, and left. I'm from NY, I don't have time to be futzing and putzing around with all that crap.

LOL Jen, love it. if they give u shit next time borrow my .45 toaster oven ::)

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2016, 06:06:22 PM »

LOL Jen, love it. if they give u shit next time borrow my .45 toaster oven ::)

I have no experience with said toaster ovens and to be honest am not comfortable around them unless someone in a corresponding uniform is handling it. But since you are The Trooper I guess you got that under control. :hat

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »
lol. trooper comes from the band, other than that, a job thing

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2016, 06:29:01 PM »

Jobs that require having a gun generally strike me as being military, law enforcement, or security. Not sure I can think of others where one would have a .45 for job purposes, but then I'm not too familiar with stuff like that.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2016, 06:32:46 PM »

Jobs that require having a gun generally strike me as being military, law enforcement, or security. Not sure I can think of others where one would have a .45 for job purposes, but then I'm not too familiar with stuff like that.
bingo

But I do have a toaster oven that does mean rye toast

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »

While you are right and the odds are so ridiculously low, it still just doesn't feel right for me to leave my car like that.  But to each his own.  My x's parents would sleep with their front door unlocked, I could never.  They questioned me one time for parking the car in their driveway and locking it.  It's just a natural habit, but it makes me feel better.  Just a state of mind to know I am just slightly more safe I guess.
Leaving the car running is absolutely debatable. Locking the car isn't at all, IMO. It's just asking for trouble. I quit locking my car years ago. If somebody wants to rummage through it I'd just as soon they not have to brake a window to get in. The trick is just to not leave anything valuable in the car in the first place.
E.F. Benson

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2016, 06:54:23 PM »
You know what's way more likely to happen at a gas station than blow up your car by pumping gas while it's running? Getting robbed at gunpoint. I had that experience when I worked at a HessMart in 1990 or 91. That pretty much sucked. But still, I will keep turning mine off.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2016, 07:20:42 PM »
First, if u are not in ur car and go in a store etc, or even pumping gas, Turn off car and lock it. even if u are standing next to said car while pumping ur gas. Second, unless u have a million dollars in ur car, or have experience in taking down a said criminal. LET it go. it is just a car.

DO NOT get me wrong protect you. but do not put you in danger.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2016, 06:50:57 AM »

And as a Jersey native, I have the opposite problem.  When I leave the state sometimes I sit at the pump wondering where the attendant is until I wake up and remember I'm not in Jersey anymore.  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2016, 06:57:39 AM »
I can't stand having other people pump my gas. I feel like I have to tip.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2016, 07:00:08 AM »
I can't stand having other people pump my gas. I feel like I have to tip.

I've only ever tipped an attendant when the weather was ridiculous and I felt bad for the guy working in such a snow storm.