Author Topic: Roommate Drama!  (Read 6546 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Roommate Drama!
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:02:19 AM »
Not sure why I'm posting this here really, but I just felt the need to share an interesting story. I'm currently a Junior in college, and will be in my final year of undergrad in the fall, and finish in the Spring. I'm excited, because I can't wait to look desperate searching for jobs with my extremely convenient Psychology degree! In all seriousness though, I'll be going straight to grad school, hopefully, and further my education. Anyway, that's not what this is about, but moreso the living situation. Every year I've lived in a different place, and I've enjoyed doing that.

Freshman year: I lived in the dorms with one of my best friends, Matthew. It was fun, but at the same time, it felt very constricting, just a small dorm, and sharing a bathroom wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Sophomore year: I lived in one of many little townhouses with 3 friends. Matthew again, and my other great friends, John and Carson. It was fun because it was off campus and it felt like a house really. It was the hangout spot for all our other friends, and while that was awesome, it got pretty bad because the place turned into a wreck. There were usually no less than 6 people there at a time in a small house. Considering I'm the only one of all my friends that has any knowledge of cooking and cleaning, it got really old, real fast. It looked awful, as people left food on the counters and tables (even pizza on the couches), and tracked dirt and leaves in. It was an interesting experience, but I wanted something a little more tame the following year.

Junior year (this year): I live in an apartment with Matthew, again, and another friend I never lived with before, Caleb. Well I'll have you know this guy is a straight up pain in the ass to live with. We are good friends, but I realized quickly he's not good roommate material. Matthew always keeps to himself really and plays Xbox in his free time, and he cleans after himself so I've never had issues with him. Caleb, on the other hand, gets really moody, and it gets quite annoying. He's one of those people that when you suggest something, he always swats it away and finds something to get mad about. Not to mention he's very messy and brings nothing productive to the table. Still, I'm the only one that even cooks, so I feel like a fuckin' maid/babysitter half the time.

Well, I'm in the 2nd half of my junior year, and I'm thinking, shit, I don't want to do this anymore. I should really start thinking what's best for me, and not cater to what other people need, as I usually tend to do. So I mentioned to him back in November that I may not be living here in the fall, hence I won't be renewing the lease. I never gave him a definite answer, but I hinted and strongly implied that I'm exploring other options. I've met a lot of people in my fall semester (in my psychology classes expecially), and I think some of these people would be great roommates. One of these people is my great friend, Ashly. Ashly and I have been amazing friends since we met, and we are constantly hanging out. We both love to cook, and we are very clean. Beyond that, we have pretty much the same tastes in music, movies, and whatnot. Basically, we click extremely well.

So I've talked to her and I honestly think she would make an awesome roommate. She says the same about me. Considering I like to try new things every year, and going into my last year, I think getting a place with her could be a fun experience. I have a feeling I'll really enjoy it much more than my other living situations. So we are definitely set on living together in the fall, and we are probably going to go ahead and sign a lease for a 2 bedroom place in the next few weeks.

So the fun part is telling my roommates. The issue here is I feel bad for leaving my friend Matthew because I've lived with him every year and he's been a good roommate. However, he's not even sure if he will be at the university in the fall, so I guess he's either considering transferring or maybe just working, as he doesn't really have anything sorted out. So he's not renewing the lease to this place until way down the road. I can't really wait months to hear his decision, so I told him of my plans to move with Ashly and he is completely cool with that, as expected. Now, my other roommate, Caleb, well.. it's different with him. He kept telling me that he hopes I renew my lease because he has no other friends to live with. So he's trying to guilt trip me. I told him of the plans and now he has ignored me for 3 days :lol He keeps telling all my friends how "low" my move was, and how horrible of a friend I am.

Well, in my defense, I let him know back in November that I probably won't be staying, so it's not like I'm suddenly jumping ship. Also, I have NO obligations to be his roommate, especially when he is a selfish dick much of the time. He keeps telling everyone I'm stupid for "Going to live with my girlfriend" in the fall, which is completely false. I wouldn't sign a lease with a new girlfriend, as I could only imagine the endless negative outcomes of that.  And honestly, it's his own fault for not making friends in college. He was even in a fraternity so I don't understand why he can't find ONE person to live with.

So really, one roommate is cool, the other is pissed and is acting childish. What do y'all think? Am I doing the right thing? I've been nothing but nice to him, and I told him in the nicest way possible what my plan in the fall is. Also, has anyone had prior experience of living with someone of opposite sex? I'm curious, so share stories if you'd like. Hell, share any funny roommate stories if you want, this thread can be for that too.

tl;dr: I'm leaving my roommates to live with a new friend of opposite sex next semester, one is mad, the other is cool.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Roommate Drama!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:06:33 AM »
Only you can decide if "you're doing the right thing".   Honesty and straightforwardness are your friends here.  If Matthew is not a given for the fall, you are free to make sure you have the living arrangements that work for you.   As long as you don't string along Caleb, how he reacts is his problem, not yours, and if he is that much of a child, well, you don't really ever have to see him again.  You just need to be able to look yourself in the mirror. 

(Though I will say, depending what kind of person you are, living with a girl in college could be fraught with peril, IF you guys haven't been fully honest with each other and yourselves.  If either of you is harboring something that you're not willing to admit, to the other or yourself, it WILL come out during your time together.  If you're carrying a torch for her, and she brings back a guy and you can hear them frollicking through the wall - or vice versa - you have to consider how that's going to play). 

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 10:08:14 AM »
Right. Good point. I personally feel I'm free to do what's best for me, so I really don't have much of a problem with it.

And yeah, that's the only issue, but I feel like we've been completely honest. If it turns into something more, then whatever, but it's a risk I'm willing to take, really.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:26:57 AM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
Caleb has plenty of time to make other arrangements.  I assume he lived somewhere else before living with you, so I'm sure he can handle it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 12:04:59 PM »
Caleb sounds like an immature leech, fuck 'im; Matthew sounds mature and knows what's good for 'im, he'll be aiight. Sounds like it's all good to me! I've lived with a couple roomates while I was in college and realized very quickly that like you, I am way too good of a roomate and people are pigs and mudpeople wearing human costumes. I haven't lived with anyone since. You do what's best for you and like Stradler said, as long as you do it right, the other people's reactions and situations are their own to deal with. This might force the whiny one to grow up just a smidgen and bring into view what Matthew really wants to do so it sounds like it's a good situation for all even if one of them made a poopy in his pants and wants someone to clean it for him.

P.S. Don't fuck her. Don't you do it! And if you do, strategically plan it for whenever you're about to move out.  :tup

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 12:52:42 PM »
Yeah, she sounds dangerously fuckable :lol

But I echo what everyone else has said, fuck Caleb. You're not doing anything wrong, he's just being a baby.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
So, fuck Caleb but don't fuck Ashly? Man, times have changed since I was a youngster.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 02:09:08 PM »
 :rollin
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 02:30:48 PM »
So, fuck Caleb but don't fuck Ashly? Man, times have changed since I was a youngster.
It is indeed a new day.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 03:39:09 PM »
 :lol

I won't be fucking either of them. At least that's the plan. Ashly and I have an awesome friendship and we already discussed that furthering that could result in negative consequences when it comes to residing together, so at least we are both aware. I don't ever feel this real intense attraction when I'm around her though, she just feels like a best friend.

BUT...we'll see. :P

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 03:54:33 PM »
So does that mean Caleb and Ashly will be fucking?

Anyway, don't worry about Caleb.  After my sophomore year my one roommate and I decide we couldn't do another year with our other roommate, he wasn't happy at all and it ended our friendship, but someone like that isn't worth being friends with anyway and it doesn't even sound like you think highly of Caleb anyway.  If he is in a frat and still can't find a place to live, it sounds like he is the issue.  (the roommate we didnt want to live with ended up joining a frat and living there)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »
That's how it always starts.

"Yeah, it's for the best that we remain friends. I'm glad we both understand"

..."Do you have a condom!?"

Or in certain special cases:

"Do you like pegging!?"

RIP DTP.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 07:12:27 PM »
I think, reading your story, you are in the right.  You have expressed, clearly I believe, that you have the intentions of moving out since what November?  Not Caleb's fault he can't plan for the "what now?" bit, that's on him.  Now living with the opposite sex in college.  That should be interesting and I hope you guys have some good memories and nothing goes wrong and all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 07:09:11 AM »

I won't be fucking either of them. At least that's the plan. Ashly and I have an awesome friendship and we already discussed that furthering that could result in negative consequences when it comes to residing together, so at least we are both aware. I don't ever feel this real intense attraction when I'm around her though, she just feels like a best friend.

Wait till you see her prancing to the shower in a tank top and a pair of boyshorts, or coming in from class drenched through because she forgot her umbrella and coat in that downpour, then check back with me.   

It's an odd thing, and perhaps inappropriate, but in college I lived on a coed floor (so my next door roommates on both sides were girls) and basically at one time or another over the course of a semester, even if it was a passing moment, about 90% of the women on that floor got at least a "hmmm... might be worth a tumble" consideration. 

Be strong, my friend, and stay thirsty. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 08:20:52 AM »
Yeah, totally inappropriate, dude.  :lol

And Bizkit, Stadler raised an important point earlier. Are you going to be bothered if you hear her getting her brains screwed quite thoroughly out through through your bedroom walls? While the tanktop and boyshorts paint a fine picture, that's where things really do turn troublesome.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 08:28:33 AM »
That's how it always starts.

"Yeah, it's for the best that we remain friends. I'm glad we both understand"

..."Do you have a condom!?"

Or in certain special cases:

"Do you like pegging!?"

Yep.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
Guys, guys, I got this. ::)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »
But does your PENIS got this?

Two totally different things. Consult with him. You might be cool with this, Biz. He might not be. *shakes finger*

RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 12:59:59 PM »
*something about a pooper*

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 04:14:21 PM »
Hef knows what I'm talking about.

RIP DTP.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 06:02:53 AM »
I know this all too well.. Well, the situation of friends being assholes and expecting me to put them ahead of any other plans.
Honestly I don't think there's anything left to do on your part, you already seem to be certain of this, it's just that your friend has to fucking move on and try to find someone to live with. Face da facts
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 07:17:30 AM »
Guys, guys, I got this. ::)

I have a running joke with my wife: as soon as someone on TV or in a movie, or in our lives says "I got this", it is a CLEAR indication that while they THINK they have "this", they have exactly nothing, and it is simply the harbinger of doom.   

All I know is, I told my girlfriend when I moved into that dorm that "I got this" and... let's just say, I "got" it, all right. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 07:55:41 AM »
I don't ever feel this real intense attraction when I'm around her though, she just feels like a best friend.

This is key and, in my experience, proof that the two of you will be bumping uglies, sooner or later.

And that's not a bad thing. Don't let all these people tell you it is. So what if the two of you start dating or just casually fucking? Worst case scenario is that it goes to shit real fast and you have to find a new living situation after the first semester. I think you could handle that (can't be that hard to find someone to sublet, right?). Best case scenario is that this is is just the first of many years that you live with Ashly, your best friend and now-lover. And somewhere in between, more likely than the other two, is that sexual tension develops and neither of you do anything about it because neither one of you wants to screw up the living situation and then go your separate ways in a respectful way at the end of the year.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 08:44:33 AM »
I don't ever feel this real intense attraction when I'm around her though, she just feels like a best friend.

This is key and, in my experience, proof that the two of you will be bumping uglies, sooner or later.

And that's not a bad thing. Don't let all these people tell you it is. So what if the two of you start dating or just casually fucking? Worst case scenario is that it goes to shit real fast and you have to find a new living situation after the first semester. I think you could handle that (can't be that hard to find someone to sublet, right?). Best case scenario is that this is is just the first of many years that you live with Ashly, your best friend and now-lover. And somewhere in between, more likely than the other two, is that sexual tension develops and neither of you do anything about it because neither one of you wants to screw up the living situation and then go your separate ways in a respectful way at the end of the year.

Jeez, why'd you have to go and be all adult and mature and shit. :)

I'm kidding, of course, but you're probably right. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 08:53:03 AM »
I feel like if he doesn't at least dip a toe in and feel the water, he'll have missed a massive opportunity.

Then again, maybe he shouldn't lead with the toe.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »

Wait until a few months in when she's comfortable enough to hang around in less and less clothing because you're "just roomies" and "he doesn't see me that way".  You do realize that your dork will end up doing all the thinking for you in this type of situation, right?  :lol

Or, this:
as soon as someone on TV or in a movie, or in our lives says "I got this", it is a CLEAR indication that while they THINK they have "this", they have exactly nothing, and it is simply the harbinger of doom.

I feel like if he doesn't at least dip a toe in and feel the water, he'll have missed a massive opportunity.

Kinky.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 02:28:35 PM »

Kinky.

I saw that in a movie once. 

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 08:14:59 PM »

lol. kids are so cute these days. you've already basically admitted you both thought about being in a relationship with each other. that attraction will definitely increase while living with her and if it's mutual, good luck not fucking her, and don't even try to justify it any other way. you're a kid anyway, just let it happen. don't fucking do something stupid like "I don't want to ruin our friendship" that's bullshit, live your life dude.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 09:41:12 PM »
This is true. Life is lived, whatever happens, happens.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 10:59:04 PM »
So Caleb and I talked about it and we are cool, as far as I know. He said he's already got stuff planned for the fall so I'm glad he's doing that. I'd hate to have a sludgy atmosphere the rest of the semester with bad attitudes.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2016, 12:07:22 PM »
This thread is making me hungry for a bacong bizkit. If cheezinator showed up, I'd already be on my way to McDonald's.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2016, 07:37:58 PM »
So Caleb and I talked about it and we are cool, as far as I know. He said he's already got stuff planned for the fall so I'm glad he's doing that. I'd hate to have a sludgy atmosphere the rest of the semester with bad attitudes.

That's great you talked it out.  Definitely better than an awkward remainder of your semester.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2016, 10:12:39 PM »
Good luck nailing your friend.

[Vader]Search your feelings, you KNOW it to be true![/vader]

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 07:31:19 AM »
Good luck nailing your friend.

[Vader]Search your feelings, you KNOW it to be true![/vader]

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2016, 07:40:42 AM »
Update: This Ashly girl who is going to be my roommate is now my girlfriend too. Wow who saw that coming?

Anyway, I feel good and confident about still wanting to move in together. We already hang around each other about all the time and it feels as if we already live together. We're both excited and can't wait for all the cool opportunities. I finally asked her out just a few weeks ago and honestly it was long overdue. Everyone says we make a very nice pair and I believe we do too. I think building this whole thing on an initial friendship really strengthened our foundation for a relationship so I'm just ready to move in, which will probably be first week of August. Just thought I would let you guys know :lol