Author Topic: Steve Howe - Turbulence Appreciation Thread  (Read 565 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Steve Howe - Turbulence Appreciation Thread
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:04:31 PM »
Fantastic record that deserves its own thread.

If you have never heard this album, do so immediately.  It's 10 songs of instrumental awesomeness. :hat

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
Re: Steve Howe - Turbulence Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 01:51:18 AM »
Agreed. I still remember when I sampled it in a music store (ages ago!) and I was blown out after a few notes of the first track...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 08:22:54 PM »
It's definitely great.

Only one other fan here?? ???

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:16:28 PM »
Used to listen to this one Sunday morning a month for eons back when it first came out.  A couple tracks would have been more than decent replacements for what was on 'Big Generator', as well as  'Union', and.....

Really, really good stuff on it.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 08:11:20 PM »
It's definitely great.

Only one other fan here?? ???

My favorite part is that Bruford plays on it.

I like most of Howe's solo material that I've heard. I just listened to Portraits of Dylan last week. (Have to be in the mood for that one.)  Howe CD's always have  recognizable bits that Howe contributed to one of his bands. It's kind of neat that they kind of resemble touchstones.

I really dig a lot of Howe's CDs. The Homebrew series is pretty cool. Quantum Guitar, Not Necessarily Acoustic, Natural Timbre, Pulling Strings, Skyline, The Grand Scheme Of Things.....

I'd love to find a live album of his one of these days.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 07:02:58 AM »
I admittedly do not know a lot of his solo stuff outside of Turbulence, except I actually owned a physical copy of The Grand Scheme of Things when it came out.  Some of the instrumental tracks were pretty bad ass.  When he sings though, those songs get chucked immediately.  :lol

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »
The Grand Scheme of Things is also pretty good. He DOES sing on some of the tracks, but the vocal recordings are MUCH better than the ones on Beginnings.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 08:06:04 PM »
I admittedly do not know a lot of his solo stuff outside of Turbulence, except I actually owned a physical copy of The Grand Scheme of Things when it came out.  Some of the instrumental tracks were pretty bad ass.  When he sings though, those songs get chucked immediately.  :lol
Never really been a fan of his singing either. Fortunately, he keeps it to a minimum.