Author Topic: Guitar Recommendations  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Guitar Recommendations
« on: January 24, 2016, 01:45:01 AM »
With my forthcoming tax return, I'm looking to add another guitar to the collection. Trying to find something that I can use for a variety of styles (metal, classic rock, blues) without breaking the bank ($600-$800). 6 string fixed bridge for simplicity as I've got a 7 string Floyd rose currently. Prefer the strat style shape as opposed to the Les Paul single cutaway, but I'm open to all suggestions.

I'll also be heading to a few guitar shops in the next few days, so anything to help me narrow down my search is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:06:56 AM by Fiery Winds »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Guitar Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 05:42:49 AM »
Have a look here: https://godinguitars.com/godinproductlistingp.html

Though I obviously have no idea about their availability where you live. I own two Godins (an LG HB and a Radiator Mirrortop, both discontinued I guess, since I couldn't find them on their website) and both are amazing guitars, quality and sound-wise and they play wonderfully.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 04:24:51 PM »
I've heard good things about Godin, and I'm sure there are some places locally that stock them.  :tup

I had been looking at Carvin but I don't feel right blowing my entire refund. Their burled maple top with nightburst is just :drool:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »

Offline DragonGuitar

• Student of Shred
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 08:31:47 PM »
^The Chapman's are nice, I played some on their recent West Coast tour, but you will probably have to drive a ways if you want to try one. Also be aware that the bridge on the Ghostfret is not a Hipshot as advertised, its a ice hardtail that PRS uses a lot. It's just a communication error within the company, I'm sure they will resolve it once they all get back and settled from NAMM.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 12:24:18 PM »
Played with the Schecter C-1 yesterday and really enjoyed it.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research/Hellraiser-C-1-Electric-Guitar-Black-Cherry-1274115040506.gc

Also considering the Godin Core GT P90, but can't find any local to check out.

My only concern with the Schecter is I may not get as good of a clean sound due to the active EMG's.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 12:57:20 PM »
Hey there - big Schecter fan here.  I've got two of their guitars (both Diamond series, one 6 and one 7 string, both with stop-bar tail piece) and you get a lot of guitar for your dollar with them.  My 6-string Schecter

That said, you are absolutely correct about the clean tones from those EMG's - not ideal for that kind of thing.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »
Picked up the Schecter Hellraiser C-1 and I'm loving it. Played great at the store but the one I received new in box was setup beautifully and plays like butter. Coupled with the Fender Deluxe I snagged on craigslist, I'm getting a great sound wherever I set the knobs and pickups. I'm especially impressed with the single coil toggle, sounds great.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 11:47:28 PM »
Another big Schecter fan here, obviously haha. I have the blackjack sls model with the sustainiac bridge pickup. It still brings a smile to my face every time I pick it up

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 07:59:56 AM »
I have never played a Schecter guitar in my life. Lately I've been looking at Suhr Guitars and they look amazing. It's a shame their Custom Shop models are around $4000 and up though :lol

I'm pretty sure I want my next guitar to be something special, so a Custom Shop model from a high end brand would be something to look for, but I don't have the money for that kind of thing right now.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey