Author Topic: Kotowboy & Prog Snob Present : The Coffee Thread.  (Read 8812 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Kotowboy & Prog Snob Present : The Coffee Thread.
« on: January 23, 2016, 02:47:44 PM »
:caffeine:

Post here all your sweet sweet coffee preferences, preparation tips and more !!

I love lattes the most but I prefer to make cappuccino at work because our machine can never make the same latte twice.

Cappuccino is easy and tastes better too :)

At home I use grounds in a cafetiere ( french press ) and heat up my mil in a sealed plastic jug in the microwave and then shake it up for foamy milk.

It HAS to be brown sugar. White sugar just doesn't taste as good.

Fave coffee outlet : Costa

Despite working for Starbucks - I find their house blend coffee to be really nasty. Unless its origins espresso I won't drink it.

:)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Kotowboy & Prog Snob Present : The Coffee Thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 03:29:16 PM »
That's really weird. Earlier today, I was thinking of starting a coffee/caffeine thread.  I was reading these articles and was going to post them.  I'm glad you started this.

https://authoritynutrition.com/coffee-worlds-biggest-source-of-antioxidants/

https://authoritynutrition.com/8-ways-to-make-your-coffee-super-healthy/

https://authoritynutrition.com/top-13-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coffee/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
 :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 04:11:36 PM »
I have about 3 or 4 a day.

A couple of big lattes and maybe a mug or two of white filter coffee at work :)

Today I also had a pot of Earl Grey :) also delicious.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 04:23:35 PM »
I just had a pot of coffee. Later on, I'll break out my Hobbit Teas of The Shire.  :blob: 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 04:43:25 PM »
I dunno where you are but it's 23:43 in the UK. Too late for coffee :)

I may have a ginger & lemon & honey tea though  :laugh:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 04:55:13 PM »
Durring the week I have a 16 ounce coffee and then out of work, 12 ounces.  The weekend we brewed a pot of coffee.  I love hot, piping hot coffee.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 05:17:04 PM »
In Starbucks we had :

• Short
• Tall
• Grande
• Venti

I hear that in the US - they have another size above Venti ? Called Trenti ? ( el oh el )

EDIT : https://benitatheda.com/2015/07/12/from-short-to-trenta-the-starbucks-size/

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 05:18:14 PM »
I believe those are the sizes here.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 06:07:25 PM »
In Starbucks we had :

• Short
• Tall
• Grande
• Venti

I hear that in the US - they have another size above Venti ? Called Trenti ? ( el oh el )

EDIT : https://benitatheda.com/2015/07/12/from-short-to-trenta-the-starbucks-size/

Yes, trenta (Italian for 30).

I'm in NYC. It was about 6 here when I made the coffee. It was probably a bit late for that, but it's the weekend. Fuggit.   :lol

Durring the week I have a 16 ounce coffee and then out of work, 12 ounces.  The weekend we brewed a pot of coffee.  I love hot, piping hot coffee.

I like my coffee that way as well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 06:33:38 PM »
I have a coffee problem. I start my morning with home brewed either Breakfast, House or Pikes Peak Blend from Starbucks. I fill my 36 oz mug that usually gets me to around 9ish. Then, if I'm at my office I will drink another three or four typical cup fulls out of the office single serve machine. That carries me over til lunch. Then after lunch around 1ish I'll fire another cup down then again at 3.

When I get home I usually have a single serve mug just before dinner (around 5:30ish).....do the dad thing with the kiddos...homework, reading...baths and so on. Get the crew to bed around 8-8:30 then have another single serve mug prior to starting my homework for the night.

I typically fall asleep somewhere around 11-11:30.....get up....rinse, repeat.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 07:13:59 PM »
Holy crap, that's a lot. Check out the articles I posted above. Drinking lots of coffee doesn't always amount to bad health.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 04:27:23 AM »
I love coffee. Preferably black and as strong I can get it. I have a percolator which is just big enough for two small cups of coffee, but I usually just make one cup for myself because I don't drink/need a lot of coffee. I like to keep it at one or two small cups per day.

Regarding cappuccino: can someone Italian explain why the Italians have the 'tradition' of not drinking cappuccino after about 11:30 am? I know about it but I don't really get what the reason for that is.

Ginger, lemon & honey tea is the best!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 06:01:50 AM »
^ We had a box at work. I loved all the teas at Starbucks ( Hibiscus is the best ) - so I tried them all and that one was amazing.

Sometimes I have it with a slice of real lemon in. I use real honey as it is. Maybe I could also sprinkle in some real grated ginger :P

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 06:13:19 AM »
I love coffee.  Although I would not ever get coffee from starbucks.  There are hundreds of places in my town that blow the sphincter out of starbucks' corporate asscheeks.

Got a little espresso machine for xmas, with a portafilter and a steam wand, so have been mastering my flat whites over the holidays.  Not huge on milk tho so usually just have a long black, hot and strong af. mmmmm. 

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 06:20:49 AM »
I love espresso (especially long Julius Meinl), others usually can be hit or miss for me. Also, I make myself black turkish coffee with little sugar.
Right now, I'm trying to break a habit because sometimes I get bellyache after coffee :sad: and I don't like it with milk that much even though it's easier to my stomach.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 06:22:18 AM »
Sunday morning coffee in bone China .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 06:25:31 AM »
I love coffee.  Although I would not ever get coffee from starbucks.  There are hundreds of places in my town that blow the sphincter out of starbucks' corporate asscheeks.

Probably ! As I said before - their house espresso is awful. It just tastes burnt or the milk is over steamed. As far as coffee chains go - Costa is far superior.

Cafe Nero and Coffee#1 are all better than Starbucks too. No idea why its so popular...

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 06:54:20 AM »
Just finished a home latte with Kahlua.

I only buy Guatemalan beans from a local roaster. He puts what I would characterize as a Medium Roast on his Guatemalan beans. I like them best because of their low acidity and an overall nutty/earthy flavor. It's a pretty popular item with him so he's required to roast a batch of Guatemalan every week...thus, I always have fresh coffee. I usually buy 3 lbs every two weeks. About once per month (when he's making Italian Roast) he'll throw a few lbs of Guatemalan in for me and an other long time customer. We use those to blend with standard Guatemalan for making Espresso.

I have an older model of this machine along with the auto milk frother.

Also, just for a regular pot of "Americano" coffee, I just bought this inexpensive Mr. Coffee machine. I love it, it's perfect for our needs.

So, yeah, I'm happy to join the coffee snobs!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 06:55:52 AM »
I'd love a proper coffee machine to save using a cafetiere every day. :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 06:56:38 AM »

I have an older model of this machine

Fun Fact - The "Mr Fusion" on the Back To The Future II Delorean was a Krups Coffee Grinder :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 06:58:15 AM »
It's funny, KB...but I only use my "french press" in the summer time. I like to make one up and take it out on the back patio while I read the paper and throw the ball for Sagan.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 07:23:18 AM »
We use a french press for coffee infused beers.  Cold pressed though.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 07:33:58 AM »
Oh, and I'll also agree with KB that only raw sugar should ever touch coffee. I usually drink mine black, though. I only use whole milk or half and half for my lattes.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »
I echo the raw sugar sentiment, although I rarely have sugar in my coffee, unless I'm drinking instant :lol

If I want a sweet coffee I'll get it with caramel syrup or something.  Caramel flat white is nice.  Or a mocha.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2016, 08:38:12 AM »
I love coffee. Preferably black and as strong I can get it. I have a percolator which is just big enough for two small cups of coffee, but I usually just make one cup for myself because I don't drink/need a lot of coffee. I like to keep it at one or two small cups per day.

Regarding cappuccino: can someone Italian explain why the Italians have the 'tradition' of not drinking cappuccino after about 11:30 am? I know about it but I don't really get what the reason for that is.

It is something that has been passed done through the generations. Basically it's because drinking a hot beverage after a meal attracts blood to the stomach, making digestion easier. Drinking coffee or tea is ideal but adding milk of any form would slow the digestive process down, so they usually don't drink milk based coffee drinks later in the day after they have their bigger meals.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2016, 08:51:14 AM »
I can drink tea without milk or sugar but not coffee.

Drinking coffee black has the same effect on me as drinking alcohol. My cheeks screw up and I gag involuntarily. I just cannot drink it.

I tried a new coffee recently and it was really awful. Amaretto syrup Flat White. Really horrible. But i'd paid for it so I finished it anyway.

At least I know not to have it again :P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 09:01:37 AM »
How is the flat white at Starbucks? I haven't tried that one yet.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2016, 09:16:05 AM »

It is something that has been passed done through the generations. Basically it's because drinking a hot beverage after a meal attracts blood to the stomach, making digestion easier. Drinking coffee or tea is ideal but adding milk of any form would slow the digestive process down, so they usually don't drink milk based coffee drinks later in the day after they have their bigger meals.

And it's become a tradition because of that reason then? Because they're really 'strict' about it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2016, 09:32:49 AM »

Haven't had one for about a year but it was not bad. Better than the latte.

I was really good at the patterns too.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 09:34:44 AM »

And it's become a tradition because of that reason then? Because they're really 'strict' about it.

Yes. Pretty much. You CAN order it but you probably wouldn't be met with smiles for it.   :lol

Haven't had one for about a year but it was not bad. Better than the latte.

I was really good at the patterns too.

Better than the latte?  Hmmm...sounds promising.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 09:35:30 AM »
I didn't start drinking coffee until about 4 years ago. It helps me get through the day. Although I still am like do you want any coffee with your cream and sugar lol
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 09:43:45 AM »
I didn't start drinking coffee until about 4 years ago. It helps me get through the day. Although I still am like do you want any coffee with your cream and sugar lol

I can be like that sometimes if my sweet tooth is calling. I'm picky about drinking black coffee because most places make it poorly. I trust mine and maybe a few others. What winds up happening is I'll just tell them light and sweet.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2016, 09:45:46 AM »

Better than the latte?  Hmmm...sounds promising.

Maybe it's because you don't heat the milk as much for a flat white . I'm thinking they over steam the milk for the latte.

Starbucks machines are automatic. They stop when they're programmed to. You can do "extra hot" or stop it when you want but if you steam the milk - it usually stops itself.

I'm guessing it's a bit too much. Costa lattes are the nicest ones i've had.

EDIT : top tip - if you ever go to starbucks for a latte - always get the Origins Espresso - whatever it is. It *always* tastes nicer than the house blend

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 10:04:03 AM »
I'll try the flat white tomorrow. I don't think there are any Costa shops here in the US.