Poll

As the thread title states, what do you want based on The Astonishing?

Video game
18 (19.8%)
Movie
17 (18.7%)
Broadway musical/play
33 (36.3%)
Novel
13 (14.3%)
Other
10 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: What do you want (game/movie/etc.) based on The Astonishing?  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Shadow2222

What do you want (game/movie/etc.) based on The Astonishing?
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
Now that JP has confirmed that there are already projects in the works based on the story/characters/world of the new album (see quote from Billboard article below), what do you want personally?

Quote from:  John Petrucci
“Other things could come out of it because the story is very rich as far as the characters and plot, so a video game, novel or anything else might happen; a movie or even a musical,” says Petrucci. “A bunch of those things I mentioned are in the works, and as they get closer we’ll reveal the schedule of [release].”
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6851509/dream-theater-moment-of-betrayal-song-premiere-the-astonishing-album
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Enigmachine

Re: What do you want (game/movie/etc.) based on The Astonishing?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 03:46:52 PM »
I think a musical would make the most sense.

Offline CoT67

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 03:47:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's going to be a musical. He hinted a lot at that sort of stuff in his Rolling Stone review.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:52:02 PM »
I would love a novelization, depending on how the deluxe set handles the 'screenplay lyric sheet'. I dunno how a video game would play out. Seems a little too cheesy for a full on movie.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 04:06:02 PM »
Novel. Play, only if they film it because I wouldn't go to broadway just to see it.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 04:17:12 PM »
Other: Joe Sandalo bootleg of The Astonishing!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline CoT67

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 04:29:27 PM »
Other: Joe Sandalo bootleg of The Astonishing!

This would be glorious
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »
I just want the album based on The Astonishing, thanks. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 05:52:24 PM »
A musical definitely makes the most sense.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 08:12:41 PM »
Let's hit up CD Project Red to develop an Astonishing DLC for The Witcher 3. I'd be down to fight NOMAC Griffins.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 09:14:49 PM »
I'm not really a fan of musicals, but I gotta recognize it as probably the most reasonable option. I'd still rather see a movie being born from it though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 09:17:40 PM »
Given all the artwork that has been done, I am guessing a video game and/or graphic novel is/are in the works.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 09:37:23 PM »
Given all the artwork that has been done, I am guessing a video game and/or graphic novel is/are in the works.

A graphic novel would be one of the most feasible options, so logistically that makes sense.

A musical also seems very possible and fitting, not something I'd be personally interested in though.

A video game would take a while to do well, and at the level we're looking at, probably not the best medium to retell a story.

I'm still waiting on the card game.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 09:40:35 PM »
Blob, what do you think the odds are of an animated short film, ala Heavy Metal, but CG?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 09:43:21 PM »
I'm still waiting on the card game.

You just activated my trap card.... Lord Nafaryus
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 09:47:40 PM »
That picture would be even more scary/appropriate if it was you in the picture.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 10:25:28 PM »
Blob, what do you think the odds are of an animated short film, ala Heavy Metal, but CG?

Standalone animation to cover the entire story of The Astonishing would cost a crapload, so I'd say pretty low odds. I think any video efforts along those lines would go into the live show production.

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 10:47:06 PM »
I didn't think about a graphic novel. I'm down for that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 11:24:20 PM »
A couple of things made me think in that direction.  (1) From ITPOE, we know that JP has at least some knowledge of obscure manga. (2) Nightwish did a comics series for The Unforgiving.  So in terms of the story of The Astonishing being told in other media besides the album, a short comics series or graphic novel seemed likely to me.

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 07:54:30 AM »
A couple of things made me think in that direction.  (1) From ITPOE, we know that JP has at least some knowledge of obscure manga. (2) Nightwish did a comics series for The Unforgiving.  So in terms of the story of The Astonishing being told in other media besides the album, a short comics series or graphic novel seemed likely to me.

JP may or may not also be influenced by Periphery's Juggernaut. Last I heard they were taking that story into graphic novel form.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 07:59:57 AM »
I want a mobile app with micro transactions.

Offline YtseJohn

• Whahibrido Pickingant goes to 11
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 08:08:40 AM »
NO

I want a mobile app with micro transactions.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
What TA related release do I want?  A making of DVD!!  Hopefully a project this size, they recorded it.  When's the last making of DVD they did...Systematic Chaos?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »
Nightwish did a comics series for The Unforgiving.

That was Within Temptation, not Nightwish.

Offline Alohakid87

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 11:22:42 AM »
I think a novel would be perfect. Keep in mind that Rush's Clockwork Angels was released into a novel by a fantastic author named Kevin J. Anderson with Neil Peart. And we all know how much DT and Rush are alike....(PLEASE READ THIS JOHN PETRUCCI AND GET A HOLD OF KEVIN J. ANDERSON) 

Online ErHaO

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 11:23:49 AM »
I would prefer a broadway show, as that likely means more music (as in: alternate renditions and different vocalists/instrumentalists doing DT). I like the broadway recording of Green Day's American Idiot, for example. Especially the use of vocal harmonies.

Indeed, Nightwish did a film for/with Imaginarium.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 05:30:22 PM »

Same thing, isn't it? :neverusethis:

(I only know The Heart of Everything by Within Temptation, and it's actually pretty awesome, so j/k)

Didn't know they'd done comics though.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 05:02:06 PM »
A special studio acoustic EP of TA songs.  They've never done one of those before either!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline camzmac

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2016, 12:06:30 PM »
Purely from a cost/benefit perspective, I'd want a novel or graphic novel first. The other media require plenty of cash to get going, hence the risk is bigger, so the likelihood of it happening any time soon is much smaller. In contrast, a novel wouldn't take much to get completed in comparison to the other media in the poll.

I'd honestly prefer a non-graphic novel, not only because it would be most feasible first option, but because I feel it would complement the music and the band. Think about it - a novel plays out in your mind, a kind of dream theater if you will, and is one of the best mediums for telling a pure story. We will already have the album, a medium that realizes emotion through music. Sure, the lyrics will tell a story, but I'd imagine for most of us, we're primarily listening to the music first and lyrics second. A novel would reverse this by putting the story first.

It would be pretty cool to have the music echoing in my mind while reading the novel, and once done the novel, appreciating the album, in particular how the story drives the music, in a more meaningful way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »
Purely from a cost/benefit perspective, I'd want a novel or graphic novel first. The other media require plenty of cash to get going, hence the risk is bigger, so the likelihood of it happening any time soon is much smaller. In contrast, a novel wouldn't take much to get completed in comparison to the other media in the poll.

I'd honestly prefer a non-graphic novel, not only because it would be most feasible first option, but because I feel it would complement the music and the band. Think about it - a novel plays out in your mind, a kind of dream theater if you will, and is one of the best mediums for telling a pure story. We will already have the album, a medium that realizes emotion through music. Sure, the lyrics will tell a story, but I'd imagine for most of us, we're primarily listening to the music first and lyrics second. A novel would reverse this by putting the story first.

It would be pretty cool to have the music echoing in my mind while reading the novel, and once done the novel, appreciating the album, in particular how the story drives the music, in a more meaningful way.

That's what Kevin J. Anderson did with Terra Incognita. Getting the group Roswell Six to create music with the books.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 11:42:51 AM »
I wanted to bump this now that the album is out to see if hearing the album changed anyone's mind.

Also, because JP confirmed that a novel is in the works in the Reddit AMA today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/438pam/ama_hey_i_am_john_petrucci_from_dream_theater_ask/czgjisu?context=3

Quote from: John Petrucci
[In regards to the NOMACS] They are part of the reason for the breakdown in this future world as they are the only source of music to be heard. They are an artificial intelligence of sorts who automate a soulless cacophony. On the album the story is focused more on the human characters and their struggles, however the NOMAC story will be explored further in future novelization.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Carlos_7x

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 11:46:43 AM »
I'm planning on develop a fan game, I'm not sure if RPG or Adventure.

Time will tell.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 12:04:07 PM »
Well, naturally I'd love to see this as a novel. But I'll be happy with anything they did with it. It would actually be cool to play this in some sort of video game.

Offline DragonGuitar

• Student of Shred
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 01:58:52 AM »
A Novel / Graphic Novel would be great, and easy to produce. A video game I think would be good, and you could hear the music in the background... but, IDK about the actual gameplay. A movie seems like it would be too cheesy, but hey, I could be wrong. I also think a musical would be a great option, and it would be awesome if they recorded an official DVD of it. Another option I think would be feasible would be a board game or card game- seems like it wouldn't be too hard to make, they already have art needed for character cards and stuff, the map could maybe be the board or something, I don't know, but it seems like it would be easy to do and well worth it.

Whatever they come out with I will get.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2016, 02:00:30 AM »
Musical. The way it is written, it's pretty much ready to be staged.