Author Topic: The Zika Virus  (Read 269 times)

Offline kaos2900

The Zika Virus
« on: January 19, 2016, 06:45:33 AM »
I wasn't sure where to put this topic but I figured it fit best here considering where the discussion could go. Is anyone else freaking out about the Zika Virus? It's a mosquito carried virus which causes severe birth defects, specifically affecting the development of the head and brain. There is no cure and no vaccine to prevent it. At one point Brazil told women to stop getting pregnant but now that the CDC has advised people to not travel to tropical locations if pregnant, Brazil is trying to downplay the severity of this due to the upcoming Olympics. It's already been found in Texas. My wife is pregnant but far enough along and in a cold climate that we're not worried about this, but this seems like the type of thing could turn into a very big issue very quickly. I'm not sure if once someone is infected and then gets pregnant that the potential for birth defects are still there. If I didn't have another child on the way I'd probably take my normal view of an issue like this that it's mother nature trying to keep the human population in check, and now you have another country telling women to not get pregnant for the next 6 months to a year.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/01/19/jamaica-advises-women-to-delay-pregnancy-due-to-zika-virus.html

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Zika Virus
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 07:56:35 AM »
I'd probably take my normal view of an issue like this that it's mother nature trying to keep the human population in check

This is how I tend to think about things like this. And I personally don't think it is in conflict with my faith. Even the infertility issues that MANY people have....heck, my sister in law can't even get pregnant.

It's easier said by me I guess since I've been blessed to have three healthy kids....but I look at how prevalent infertility is today and I can't help but think that it is the natural worlds way of trying to control the population. It's a tough thing because I don't think anyone should be denied being a parent if that's what they really want but at the same time I see it as if you can't have kids naturally....you can't have kids. At this point in history there are plenty of kids who need a family. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 08:23:32 AM »
I'd probably take my normal view of an issue like this that it's mother nature trying to keep the human population in check

This is how I tend to think about things like this. And I personally don't think it is in conflict with my faith. Even the infertility issues that MANY people have....heck, my sister in law can't even get pregnant.

It's easier said by me I guess since I've been blessed to have three healthy kids....but I look at how prevalent infertility is today and I can't help but think that it is the natural worlds way of trying to control the population. It's a tough thing because I don't think anyone should be denied being a parent if that's what they really want but at the same time I see it as if you can't have kids naturally....you can't have kids. At this point in history there are plenty of kids who need a family.

Not to derail the thread (I don't think I am, since both of you mentioned this topic) but this is a classic example of the concept of "right to opportunity".   We DO have the right to try, we do have the right to follow through if we are successful, but we do NOT have a right to an OUTCOME.   That's the fundamental difference between the political ideologies as they are today.  Everything else is just details, tactics, and semantics.   

But the fundamental question is:  do you believe you have the right to pursue your desired opportunity, with all the pitfalls, perils, and advantages that are present in the world as it stands, or do you believe you have the right to the desire OUTCOME, regardless of the pitfalls, perils, and advantages that are present in the world?

In my not-so-feeble mind, it's really that simple. 

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 11:00:37 AM »
Without the opportunity for a desired outcome, no one would risk the pitfalls and possible perils with anything.

The pursuit of happiness.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 07:45:15 AM »
This seems to be going from bad to worse. Now it's all but confirmed to be an STD. My biggest question is if a woman infected will have the negative affects once they get pregnant or does it only affect women who are already pregnant when they get infected. If it's the former this could become a world changing disease. I'm grateful that my wife is pregnant in the winter.