Author Topic: Cloverfield v. 10 Cloverfield Lane  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
Cloverfield v. 10 Cloverfield Lane
« on: January 16, 2016, 05:34:07 PM »
Well I just heard about and saw the trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane and I've read some discussions on it. What are your thoughts on it? How connected do you think it will be? Did you see it coming?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Cloverfield v. 10 Cloverfield Lane
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »
Looks mighty interesting! Nice cast. Good trailer too. Intense but doesn't show much of anything in terms of reveals (seemingly so at least).

I'll be watching it. I really enjoyed the first and this might just be a spiritual successor to it but I think I'd prefer that than a phoned in sequel.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 07:04:05 PM »
Thinks it look interesting and I enjoyed Cloverfield so i'm down for this.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 07:46:41 PM »
Cloverfield's ingenious marketing campaign made me so hyped the see the film when it was first coming out, but it just turned out to be a decent, but not amazing monster flick. I really couldn't care any less about the main characters, as they all just seemed so generic and two-dimensional, like they were an after-thought while the main focus was put towards the monster and the mysterious tone and secrecy, which is where it really shined for me.

10 Cloverfield Lane seems more like an anthology film, a different genre than the first and telling a different story set in the same universe. I feel it could really work as a psychological thriller if that's where they're going with this. I'm all for it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 01:23:09 AM »
Because I had heard nothing about this movie and because of the tone of the trailer (and that it wasn't found footage), I thought it was a joke. Like an april's fools. Through the entire trailer I was unsure whether I should take it seriously or not.

I liked Cloverfield well enough, and am interested, but not very excited, to see this one.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 07:04:36 AM »
I was really disappointed and bored by the first one. At least this one won't be FPV the entire time. Though I have to say, outside of John Goodman being a main character, this new trailer doesn't really excited. Like Cloverfield's trailer, this gives us practically no information.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 07:47:47 AM »
Like Cloverfield's trailer, this gives us practically no information.

Which is one thing I liked about it. I won't watch any more trailers, this first one gave me what I needed.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »
Totally agree.   I hate when trailers tell you too much.   This just piqued my curiosity.  It got me to go to the Wiki page, which has a bit more info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Cloverfield_Lane

I think the trailer was extremely effective.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 05:22:05 PM »
I've been following the reddit discussion on it and there are a lot of coincidences, we may have a new ARG on our hands:
Swamp Pop
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 08:40:31 AM »
I'm looking forward to it.  I enjoyed Cloverfield, so this might be fun.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 03:53:45 PM »
I really enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane, actually I thought it was more interesting than Cloverfield even though I enjoyed that too. Anyway just saw that it's a triology and the next movie called God Particle is set to be released February 2 next year.  Apparently it's set in space this time, i'm down for that!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 01:02:48 AM »
Yeah I dug this quite a bit. I know a lot of people were torn on the ending but I loved it. The rest of the film was interesting enough but if they're going to make a Cloverfield film, I'd prefer them to go ham with it.  :lol Don't get me wrong, I don't want yet another action packed, explosion galore, Bay-esque alien flick. But 10CL was a bit too restrained and out of the realm of the Cloverfield universe for my liking most of the time. They're really good at making their films all foggy and excel in the social media aspects and fooling peeps but I'm a bit over that side of it now. If the next one goes total alien and still has that great thriller/mystery/ever-so-slight-horror vibe that these films did, I'll be more than happy.

But they don't need to prove that they can fool the public or make it seems all mysterious anymore. I'm hoping that since they've announced that this is apart of the universe and that 10CL ended with a huge cliffhanger, they'll have this one just knee deep in alien lore and craziness.

What I'm interested in is how/if the aliens in 10CL have any connection to the first one because they sure don't seem like they do in any way. But if this next one ties them together that'd be pretty great. I'd also not be opposed to these films being standalone and them just having another random alien species but have it in the same "universe". Hrrrm...

RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 03:28:21 AM »
I actually think I enjoyed 10CL because it was so diffrent from the first movie and what I expected.

I don't know if you've seen but there's some theories out there about the connection of the movies, I find this to be the most interesting i've seen:

https://youtu.be/GDWJa2RqUGo

Had no idea about the length they went with the viral marketing of the movie.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »
Yeah they've gone ham on viral marketing for both of these movies, which is why I'd like that to be toned down a bit for the next one. I wouldn't necessarily dislike it, but it certainly feels like it may take away from some aspects of the film to make that "fourth wall" aspect happen. That may be reaching but...I think a more restrained and classic approach to the next one may benefit it.

But I agree, I definitely liked that it was so different from the original, just different in a way that didn't completely mesh with my tastes. Though that was utterly rectified by the end of the film. There's just something bittersweet about being so completely hyped about what happens in a film and then it abruptly ends.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 08:31:22 PM »
New Cloverfield movie on Netflix now.

Online faizoff

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 08:34:32 PM »
I soooo want to watch it now but am so tired. Bravo Netflix.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 01:58:58 AM »
Wow that came out of nowhere, will definitely watch it tonight.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 03:25:51 AM »
Just watched it.  Sadly it's not very good,  totally different tangent to the previous movies (which I suppose is the 'cloverfield' theme) - reminds me very much of Event Horizon.   Watchable, but a bit meh...

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 06:39:28 AM »
Just watched it.  Sadly it's not very good,  totally different tangent to the previous movies (which I suppose is the 'cloverfield' theme) - reminds me very much of Event Horizon.   Watchable, but a bit meh...

Noooooooooo........I’ll still give it a watch but this doesn’t bode well. Although I liked Event Horizon.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »
I was thinking that it was a very quick release considering the time and effort that went into the others... There was little viral marketing for this in comparison to the others as well; no conspiracy shenanigans, no great mystery surrounding it. Then the quick and odd release on Netflix "right after the game!" was very odd as well (though brilliant marketing considering the timing). That said, I'll check it out but I'm not expecting much simply given the surrounding events that lead to the release. I know Netflix is gaining huge popularity among well written, shot, and directed movies in their own releases but this is one I'd rather (and would fit better) in a movie theater with a big release. That points to them probably knowing that this isn't the best work of the series. Now that the reviews are starting to crop up (which, granted, I'm giving less and less credence to these days when it comes to any facet of entertainment), that looks to sadly be the case.

RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »
It was pretty good but nothing groudbreaking and imo the least interesting and exciting of all the movies. However definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed the series. There's some visual nuggets/connections in the movie that I saw in 10 Cloverfield Lane but i'm sure there's tons of it, would be fun to hear what you noticed.

Just read that a fourth movie called Overlord is already in post production.  :tup

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »
Pretty neat actually. Definitely knew that they didn't have a gem on their hands though with how this thing was marketed only in the few days before it released (and in actuality, not at all).  :lol Again, not a bad thing, but it's telling for sure. It absolutely felt like a side story, which was clearly intended, so that's all cool.

I'm really hoping they do take some time and a bit more effort in the writing department for the next one but like Boom said, it looks like they're gearing up for it already. As long as they don't just go on milking it and actually expand what little yet cool universe they've created, I'm down for whatever they're willing to try.

Reviews were obviously making this out to be a flop but also seemed very much like they were looking at this movie the wrong way. It's not "the next Cloverfield". It was a "Cloverfield side story". Viewing it like that, it's nice. Standalone, not bad. Comparing it to the others...a bit meh.

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 10:42:06 PM »
Yeah, that wasn’t all that bad. Certainly wasn’t the most original storyline but it was compelling enough. I’ve definitely wasted more time on way worse movies.  I doubt I’ll ever watch this one again but I have zero buyers remorse about it.

Also....did the landing pod make it past the monster at the end or did he gobble it up?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 01:29:11 AM »
Yeah, that wasn’t all that bad. Certainly wasn’t the most original storyline but it was compelling enough. I’ve definitely wasted more time on way worse movies.  I doubt I’ll ever watch this one again but I have zero buyers remorse about it.

Also....did the landing pod make it past the monster at the end or did he gobble it up?
At the end or beginning can't remember of 10 Cloverfield Lane, in the distance you see something falling from the sky and hitting the ocean. Some presumed that was a satellite but that's most likely the landing shuttle.
As you say though the monster appears so some suggest it's a diffrent dimension.

Edit: It's from the first movie

Here's a cool video with lots of nuggets:
Spoilers
https://youtu.be/mqRl4kxkd0A
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:47:51 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 02:08:58 AM »
I made this thread????    mind = fucking blown  :lol

Currently, I love both the first and 10CL equally the same. There is a strange aura surrounding the first movie that has no competition but 10CL is such a bloody great film that I love a heck of a lot.

(don't know what to say for the Cloverfield Paradox though..)
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 01:56:41 PM »
It was decent enough, but also a very flawed film and missed opportunity. The first two films are much better than this in my opinion, but I didn't have a bad time with it (despite fully agreeing with the critics with this one, unlike the other recent major Netflix film that was Bright, which I did really enjoy against my expectations). That said, I look forward to the next one and hope they maintain this way of releasing films once in a while. I loved the stealth drop and made me instantly watch it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 03:46:26 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/netflix-paid-paramount-more-50-million-cloverfield-paradox-1082305

The deal, broached over the holidays and finalized in January, is worth north of $50 million, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter, with Paramount retaining rights for China and home entertainment.

It makes the movie instantly profitable for the studio, which avoids a (likely) misfire and costly marketing campaign. And Netflix got what it was looking for, regardless of withering reviews (18 percent on Rotten Tomatoes at press time)
That explain things pretty clearly.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 11:21:25 AM »
Yeah that explains everything.  :lol

Rotten Tomatoes is horrible. I mean, I don't listen to hardly any movie reviews from anyone anymore (actually that goes for almost any form of media), but 18%? It wasn't a great film by any means, and in some ways it was mediocre. But it was entertaining and didn't have any glaring, horrific issues. Obviously it was shoehorned into the Cloverfield universe, but that's about the worst offending issue in my eyes. It at least had some kind of thought put into the story, which is more than I can say for the vast majority of blockbuster films that have gotten a lot more popularity and better ratings.

It looks to me like the ship was quite far behind the monster. I'd think they'd try to make that pretty apparent if that were the case. I think they made it just fine, at least the landing. What happens after...eh. His verbage is telling too, considering there's apparently more monsters now, either ones of that size or just other smaller creatures.

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
One thing I thought of.....the Maintenance Ring could not be manually jettisoned because the airlocks weren't sealed, right? So they step out and seal the airlocks then ol' boy sacrifices himself and is shot off into space.

What a retarded design flaw? That basically means in any instance someone would have to sacrifice themselves in order to jettison the maintenance ring in ANY emergency situation.

Maybe there was a different reason as to why it had to be a manual deal....but they didn't make it clear.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »
I'm gonna guess that the part of the ship that was exploded to smithereens had the controls to detach it. But yeah, I can't remember if they specifically mentioned anything about any other method or why that had to be done.

RIP DTP.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 05:42:07 PM »
Both are garbage.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2018, 01:01:06 PM »
This is pretty cool:

https://sv.reddit.com/r/MovieDetails/comments/a5uwbh/the_cloverfield_paradox_cloverfield_2008_if_you/

The Cloverfield Paradox - Cloverfield (2008). If you play both films at the same time, the precise moment the Particle accelerator fires in Paradox it causes the monster to appear in Cloverfield linking the two universes