Author Topic: OK gifs in profile pictures  (Read 430 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
OK gifs in profile pictures
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:39:19 AM »
I'm trying to upload a gif as my profile picture but whenever I do it's always still. Does that not work anymore?
My daughter's portrait was replaced for this.

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
    • BlobVanDam's 3D Portfolio
Re: OK gifs in profile pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:42:55 AM »
As far as I know it hasn't changed. How big is the file? I think the file size limit on avatars is fairly small, like 20kb or something.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:08:26 AM »
As far as I know it hasn't changed. How big is the file? I think the file size limit on avatars is fairly small, like 20kb or something.

That may be it. I just saved and tried uploading it, and the gif wasn't moving, so maybe the file size was too big. I know complex gifs tend to be pretty big.
My daughter's portrait was replaced for this.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream..
    • Strange DT Vids
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 05:38:58 PM »
You can PM TheGreatPretender.. He's the only one I know having a gif as a profile pic..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
Google Play goo.gl/AjKEWm iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3p2WSYL5tQ (Lyric video)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 03:54:25 AM »
I've also tried to put a gif as profile picture and it didn't work. It wasn't big.

Offline Bolsters

• Aphelion
  • DTF.org Member
  • I exist where access was denied
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 03:59:31 AM »
I've used gif avatars before, most recently for my second roulette, which was only a few months ago.

If you haven't tried it already, resize the gif to the dimensions allowed on the forum first instead of letting the forum do it automatically when you upload (no larger than 110x110).

Edit: Mine was 133KB aswell, so whatever the filesize limit is, it's higher than what Blob said.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 03:47:02 AM »
If you haven't tried it already, resize the gif to the dimensions allowed on the forum first instead of letting the forum do it automatically when you upload (no larger than 110x110).

I think this is the key. Pretty certain if the forum software resizes gifs it loses the animation properties.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 06:54:06 PM »

I think this is the key. Pretty certain if the forum software resizes gifs it loses the animation properties.
If you resize it yourself it also loses the animation properties.

Offline krands85

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 07:01:43 PM »

Yay! Had this avatar since I joined and now that I've resized it to 110x110, it's finally animated  ;D :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww