Author Topic: 2016 Academy Awards Thread  (Read 7870 times)

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 Academy Awards Thread
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2016, 03:29:46 AM »
Finally got around to seeing The Revenant and I do believe Leo will win the Oscar. His performance was great.  :hefdaddy
Not sure about Best Film for it, still seeing some of the other nominees in the next week including Room, Spotlight and
The Big Short (I did love the book from Michael Lewis so if they stick close to the book I am sure it will be great.)

I must say in the last year there have not been too many great films (in my opinion). I am glad Inside Out got a nod for Best Animated Film,
I would not have been upset it it had been up for Best Picture either, it was a great movie.. as usual from Pixar.  :corn

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2016, 05:27:55 PM »
The awards are only a few days away! I finally got a chance to watch Brooklyn, and thus i've now seen every film nominated in the Best Picture category. Here's how I rank each movie:

8. Bridge of Spies - The weakest of the 8 nominated, but it's not a bad thing. Spielberg's latest film is a moving tribute to American values at their finest, and an examination of the idea that even though we might be separated by political differences or by national borders, we're still all human beings. Tom Hanks shines on the screen, per usual.

7. The Big Short - It's a very good film, but I'm still puzzled as to why this is a Best Picture frontrunner. Its full of fantastic acting performances, especially by Christian Bale, but the arrogance of the screenplay and some of the directing choices pulled attention from the story being told. At times, it feels as alive and vital, attempt to remind viewers of the mass chaos of the financial crisis of 2008.

6. The Martian - Like Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian is a entertaining crowd pleaser with a lot of meat on it's bones. It's charming and odes to the wonders of science. Matt Damon is just fun to watch, as he MacGyver's his way into surviving on Mars. This is Ridley Scott's best film in many, many years. I mean really, many years.

5. The Revenant - This movie seems like it will be the one to win Best Picture, and while I can see it because it has all the momentum of Alejandro González Iñárritu and Leonardo di Caprio wining big in their respective categories in other film and critics awards, it's not the best out of the eight in my opinion. The most impressive thing about the movie was the cinematography. The camera movement rivals what Iñárritu and his partner Emmanuel Lubezki did in Birdman. Leo's performance is captivating, but I loved Tom Hardy's performance even more. The storytelling construction wasn't my cup of tea, as well as the pacing, but what those elements lacked was shadowed by how incredible the film looked.

4. Brooklyn - One of the best Romantic Dramas that I can think of from the past several years. The movie stars Saoirse Ronan (I still don't know how to pronounce her first name) as a immigrant from Ireland in the 1950s as she tries to establish a new life for herself. The movie perfectly blends the period piece, immigration tale, and romance aspects of the story to speak to the audiences of learning to be yourself and choosing the life your want to lead. The movie has my pick to win Best Adapted Screenplay.

3. Spotlight - This newspaper drama about the 2000 Catholic Church sex scandal investigation under the Boston Globe grows in sheer power over the course of its running time. Beginning with a few small snippets of information, the Boston Globe's  team that consist of Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, and Liev Schrieber zeroes in on massive, systemic problems within the Catholic Church, meant to cover up the crimes of pedophile priests. It's a beautifully written film about how hard it can be to take on deeply entrenched systems. It's picking up steam to win the Best Picture category, even though it might have to wrestle The Revenant for it.

2. Room - This is can be a tough watch for some people. The first half of the film takes place primarily in a suffocating shed, where a woman and her son, the result of a sexual violence, live in captivity. Brie Larson is incredible in this movie, and I hope she wins the Best Actress category. I also with that Jacob Trembly, the young boy, would've received recognition as well. What's amazing is how life-affirming this story ends up being, and how wise it is about the perils of both being a parent and of being a child. Another film that I think will be overlooked for the Best Picture spot.

1. Mad Max: Fury Road - Honestly, I haven't seen a better film all year. When a movie sticks with people for a better part of the year (It was a May release), you know it's a great film. There's a lot of narrative heft in this action driven movie. George Miller gave us storylines that we couldn't help but get invested in, ones that involved much more than the black and white simplicities of life and death.  We learn the about the characters through the action and the circumstances that they are put in. The thematic overtones of saving sex slaves from a controlling alpha male, to free independent women I think is valid in today's society (Google whats going on Kesha for details). It gives the movie much more heart without trying to hitting your head and shoving them into your face with "Theming! Theming! Theming!" The world building in the production design is absolutely stellar. The music just absolutely compliments the film. The acting is great, and absolutely is aesthetically pleasing to this weird, crazy world George Miller created in 1979. The directing and editing is great! I can't think of more pristine action sequences in the past 5 years than the ones in Mad Max: Fury Road, especially the chase with the dirt biker gang. Mad Max: Fury Road is not only absolutely deserving of all the critical acclaim and awards it's been getting this year, but it's the best film of the year. I

Even though I hope Mad Max wins Best Picture, it will be overlooked because of it's genre, since Oscars tend to lean on more prestige-y movies. Science Fiction is not always accessible for all audiences especially when presented in such an intense format. In the 88 years of the Academy's existence, The Lord of the Rings is the only Fantasy movie to ever win the category.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »
I wonder how hard it must've been to tell the white girl scouts they had to stay home.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2016, 09:13:21 PM »
Someone tell me why......this woman is even famous???
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2016, 09:17:17 PM »
Someone tell me why......this woman is even famous???

Lady Gaga? Because she's awesome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »
Ok....between that horrible Super Bowl performance....then TANKING that David Bowie tribute....and now this horrible abomination of blatant pandering.  Can we be done with this person now?

Outside of "Born This Way" (which I thought was OK) I've never heard anything from her.   But some people here insisted that she was talented.   And in the last three performances I've seen from her, she has completely and utterly failed on every possible level of convincing me of that.  She's utterly freakin TERRIBLE. 

Why is this woman famous??

Offline Adami

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »
Ok....between that horrible Super Bowl performance....then TANKING that David Bowie tribute....and now this horrible abomination of blatant pandering.  Can we be done with this person now?

Outside of "Born This Way" (which I thought was OK) I've never heard anything from her.   But some people here insisted that she was talented.   And in the last three performances I've seen from her, she has completely and utterly failed on every possible level of convincing me of that.  She's utterly freakin TERRIBLE. 

This wasn't a great song, and the other two weren't great either. But she makes good albums (I admit I didn't hear the last one. but her first album is incredible and one of my favorites) and she's a hell of an entertainer. I'd say her good stuff outweighs her bad stuff. Sorry you dislike her so strongly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2016, 09:23:29 PM »
Lady Gaga makes great music. That's why she's famous.

It doesn't hurt that she's pretty bizarre, too.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2016, 09:26:20 PM »
This just really upset me because she was so awful in the David Bowie tribute, and I was hoping for something really touching and endearing considering the subject matter.   

....but this took something very sensitive, and just made it feel like pandering.   Like everyone on that stage was being violated in a whole new way.    I seriously feel like I need a shower after watching that. 

I told my wife that the next time she accuses Tori Amos of "overdoing it" on her piano, I'm going to show her THIS performance by Lada Gaga.    My wife completely agreed.   She made Tori Amos look like Steven Hawking tonight. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2016, 09:28:37 PM »
For those of us not watching, what did Lady Gaga do and what was the subject matter? 

Offline Adami

« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2016, 09:31:57 PM »
For those of us not watching, what did Lady Gaga do and what was the subject matter?

She did a song about survivors of sexual assault. Apparently some people really hated it. I didn't have a big problem with it. Not her best, but it wasn't insultingly bad as people seem to say. My opinion I guess.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2016, 09:35:42 PM »
She was robbed. One of the worst James Bond songs ever won the award  :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2016, 09:35:53 PM »
Ah. I'm sure it will be talked about a lot in the days to come by many.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2016, 09:39:24 PM »
Maybe it was just me.  But "exploitation" was the word I was looking for.    The entire thing felt like an exploitation of every victim of sexual abuse. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2016, 09:52:09 PM »
Lady Gaga makes great music. That's why she's famous.

It doesn't hurt that she's pretty bizarre, too.

Agreed. She doesn't always make songs that I like but I respect that she does things that set her apart from the crowd.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2016, 09:56:42 PM »
It's about time!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2016, 10:02:22 PM »
Really happy for Leo.  The first time I ever saw him was in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.    He was *SO* good that I thought they had gone out and found an actor that had Down Syndrome.    That's how good he was even as a pre-teen.    He totally deserved this.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2016, 10:04:03 PM »
Well earned Spotlight!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2016, 10:07:41 PM »
I've been wanting to see Spotlight since I first saw the previews.   Can't wait to finally see it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2016, 10:09:31 PM »
I think I'll watch Steve Jobs first, since I downloaded it last week, then Spotlight.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2016, 10:14:29 PM »
I simply don't understand how anyone can not appreciate Lady Gaga.

I mean...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXS1cpSwwbQ

FFS
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2016, 10:14:59 PM »
Really happy for Leo.  The first time I ever saw him was in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.    He was *SO* good that I thought they had gone out and found an actor that had Down Syndrome.    That's how good he was even as a pre-teen.    He totally deserved this.

Yeah....I haven't seen "the revenent" yet but he absolutely deserved to finally get an oscar. I sure hope he's not a hypocrite who preaches about the earth like he does but then has a carbon footprint the size of Jupiter. Seems like he's passionate about it and he definitely has the $$ to be able to practice what he preaches.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2016, 10:16:06 PM »
I knew Leo was gonna win. Imagine the shitstorm that would've ensued, especially on social media, If he didn't.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2016, 10:30:10 PM »
I was following the results on wikipedia. At some point, it had Matt Damon listed as the winner. I was quite amazed. Later I saw it had Leo listed. I quite enjoy his films, and his performances, but in many ways I always feel like I am always watching Leo on the screen. That can work with some actors, especially pre-method acting. Watch Cary Grant, and you are fully aware you are watching Cary Grant, but you don't care, because he is always awesome as Cary Grant as whatever character he is playing.

Also, cheers to Ennio Morrcione for the win. I know he won an honorary award or whatever it was, but nice to see him up there with an actual win as well. Watch his acceptance speech for the honorary win, and you can see how truly touched and honored he was.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2016, 11:06:50 PM »
So some thoughts on this year's Academy Awards

- This was the most balanced, spread out that I've ever seen the Academy Awards. Typically the formula is that the movie that wins Best Directing or has has the most handful of awards, it typically will win Best Picture. Spotlight won after receiving one other Oscar. Mad Max received the most, and The Revenant only won three out it's 12 nominations.

- On my money, Mad Max: Fury Road was the best overall film of the year. I knew, however, the chances of it winning were slim because the Academy does not recognize Fantasy and Sci-Fi films, whether they were exceptional or not. The Dark Knight was the best film of 2008, but wasn't even nominated. Its lack of nomination did lead for the Best Picture category to be extended up to ten nominations. The ONLY Fantasy or Science Fiction movie to ever win Best Picture in the Academy's 88 years of existence was The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King in 2003. Mad Max: Fury Road at least took home the most Academy Awards, winning 7 out of it's 10 nominations! In a perfect world, George Miller would have won Best Director and Mad Max would have taken home the big award. Mad Max: Fury Road will always be remembered though as a great piece of progressive storytelling and feminist action masterpiece.

- Chris Rock was a fantastic host, but the whole diversity issue being brought up was over bearing. His opening monologue that touched on the topic was PERFECT AND BRILLIANT AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEFT AT THAT.

- I'm not sure if the Academy voters have gotten their ears checked, because that Sam Smith song that won is one of the worst James Bond songs ever, and should have never been considered. Lady Gaga's incredible song for The Hunting Ground was robbed.

- Sylvester Stallone's reprisal of Rocky Balboa in Creed was one of the most moving performances of the year. Mark Rylance was fantastic in Bridge of Spies, but Sly has the better performance.

- Inside Out solidified Pixar as one of the most dominating movie studios of all time.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2016, 12:09:25 AM »
Agreed. Mad Max and Dark Knight should have won Best Picture, but the Academy doesn't care for these kind of movies when it comes to this category.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2016, 12:22:29 AM »
I just realized that Abe Vigoda wasn't included in the In Memoriam segment. Odd....

He's really still alive. I knew it!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2016, 03:15:45 AM »
Really happy that my homegirl Alicia Vikander won :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2016, 03:48:14 AM »
This just really upset me because she was so awful in the David Bowie tribute, and I was hoping for something really touching and endearing considering the subject matter.   

....but this took something very sensitive, and just made it feel like pandering.   Like everyone on that stage was being violated in a whole new way.    I seriously feel like I need a shower after watching that. 

I told my wife that the next time she accuses Tori Amos of "overdoing it" on her piano, I'm going to show her THIS performance by Lada Gaga.    My wife completely agreed.   She made Tori Amos look like Steven Hawking tonight.

Tori Amos > > > > > > > > > Lady Gaga.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy I fucking hate her. All her music is *GENERIC AS FUCK*. Could have been written by anyone - and her whole persona is just publicity stunts because her bland as shit music

alone wouldn't cut it.

Every single song on " From The Choirgirl Hotel " alone pisses on any song Lady CACA has ever done. . . .

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: February 29, 2016, 04:42:02 AM »
Mostly happy about tonight. I wanted Leo to win, and like Zantera I think it's fun that local girl Alicia Vikander won. Also glad Iñárritu won for his brilliant directing, and that Revenant took home the cinematography win, which it really deserved.

While I really like Mad Max, and it's high on my personal top 10 of the year, I don't really think it fits the academy awards and think it stole some of the wins from more deserving movies.

She was robbed. One of the worst James Bond songs ever won the award  :facepalm:

I think Writings On the Wall is great, it's the one I wanted to win.

Ok....between that horrible Super Bowl performance....

What was wrong with the super bowl performance? I thought it was just fine.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #100 on: February 29, 2016, 04:58:09 AM »
This was the first time I stayed up and watched it all (It ends around 6 AM here, so only really doable if there's no work or school the day after, last few years I've watched maybe half of it). I came for Alicia Vikander and stayed for the heavy awards.

Chris Rock did a solid job hosting, but the whole #oscarsowhite thing became very heavy handed after a while. I liked his opening monologue where he adressed it, and that's really all we needed. But then it kept on coming, and every time he took the mic, we got another race-joke. But compared to most hosts in recent memory, he was probably one of the better. I didn't care for Seth McFarlane that much, and let's not even talk about Ellen with her selfies or Franco/Hathaway. I do think it would be more nice if they got hosts who were actually respectable actors as well. Someone like Kevin Spacey would do a good job hosting I think.

Happy to see Mad Max get so many awards, and really happy to see Ex Machina get some recognition. Was really happy with Vikander and Larson winning, both were my picks, but Rylance was a bit ofa a disappointment IMO. Heard he's good, and I haven't watched the film, so I guess I can't really comment, but it would have been nice to see either Stallone or Hardy get that one. Regarding Leo, this was the year. I don't think Leo is as great as many others do, he's good most of the times, but to win the oscar you really gotta be the best that year, and he has never been THE best in any given year, he has just been very consistent. This year the competition didn't feel as strong, and while I liked him in Revenant, it felt a bit like when Scorsese won for The Departed. Redmayne won last year for an even better role than he did this year, Cranston was great in a film that didn't have much hype going for it, going into the oscars, and Matt Damon was good, but not oscar-good. The only tough opponent this year was Fassbender for his great portrayal as Steve Jobs, but it really did feel like a 70/30 split or so.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: February 29, 2016, 05:35:53 AM »
Had to check that The Revenant DOP wasn't the one from Interstellar and SPECTRE. Both those films are really bland looking. At least in the colour palette.

I really hope that Christopher Nolan goes back to using Wally Pfister.

...EDIT just checked the wiki page for Dunkirk and Hoyte Von Hoytema is listed as DP. :(
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:42:21 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: February 29, 2016, 05:37:58 AM »

Every single song on " From The Choirgirl Hotel " alone pisses on any song Lady CACA has ever done. . . .

Well it's hard to argue with such sophomoric rationale using 1st grader comebacks.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: February 29, 2016, 05:42:40 AM »

Well it's hard to argue with such sophomoric rationale using 1st grader comebacks.  :lol

IKR !!!!!! :hifive:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: February 29, 2016, 05:47:54 AM »
Chris Rock did a solid job hosting, but the whole #oscarsowhite thing became very heavy handed after a while. I liked his opening monologue where he adressed it, and that's really all we needed. But then it kept on coming, and every time he took the mic, we got another race-joke.

Not only that but they kept throwing past-Oscar winners and other performers that were black up as presenters in that attempt at a "Hey we've honored black people in the past too! Look!" The president of the Academy was the worst as far as the pandering went. The whole thing was just clearly just damage control over a non-issue.