Author Topic: 2016 Academy Awards Thread  (Read 7866 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: 2016 Academy Awards Thread
« Reply #105 on: February 29, 2016, 05:49:28 AM »
For the record, Tori Amos is definitely better musically in my opinion. But Lady Gaga is innovative in her own way. I've checked out quite a bit of her stuff, and not all of it sounds the same. It's far from generic. Don't go by the radio hits. After hearing the album she did with Tony Bennett, something tells me she'll eventually wind up singing music like that, and I'm looking forward to it. She has a beautiful voice when she wants to.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2016, 05:52:32 AM »
I think she tries too hard to "be" different, like me a hipster but without the fedora :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: February 29, 2016, 05:55:36 AM »
She definitely uses publicity stunts and acting weird to boost her music.

If she had the same music and was just "Stefani Germanotta " and wore normal clothes etc..

Do you think she would have been as hugely successful ?

I mean - props for being able to play the game. Some people can do it.

Every single idea that I thought was clever to promote my music has failed miserably so kudos.

And she's not even 30 yet which really sticks in the craw :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: February 29, 2016, 06:04:13 AM »
Well I don't mind the weirdness, as long as it's not hurting anyone. That doesn't take away from her talents. Listen to the CD she did with Tony Bennett. She has a vocal gift. 

By the way, if KISS didn't put the makeup on, do you think they would have been noticed or just lumped in with a bunch of other 70s bands that sounded like them?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: February 29, 2016, 06:07:42 AM »
I'm not against having an image. Just when it's the entire focus of your "act".

But I dislike KISS even more than Gaga so...  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: February 29, 2016, 06:12:05 AM »
I'm not against having an image. Just when it's the entire focus of your "act".

But I dislike KISS even more than Gaga so...  :lol

I used to be a huge Kiss fan, then one day I woke up and it just sounded boring to me. I can't stand Gene Simmons, and I don't know why. My friend once described them as actors with instruments, and I guess after a while I just started to see them in that same light. There are still some songs that I love to hear but I don't own any of their CDs anymore.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2016, 10:02:04 AM »
Ok....between that horrible Super Bowl performance....then TANKING that David Bowie tribute....and now this horrible abomination of blatant pandering.  Can we be done with this person now?
I would just like to say that she did a good job at the Super Bowl.  I mean, obviously opinions, but that was pretty good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: February 29, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »
Really happy to see Spotlight win. It was my favorite movie of the year. I was really pulling for Mark Ruffalo, too, but I haven't seen Bridge of Spies, so I won't complain yet about him not winning best supporting actor.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: February 29, 2016, 01:23:08 PM »
Mark Rylance's performance in Bridge of Spies isn't the typical big crying scene or break-down type role. It's a very subdued and subtle performance, and it was definetely good. I have no problem with him winning it, although I was sort of rooting for Hardy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: February 29, 2016, 07:43:33 PM »
DiCaprio finally winning an Oscar last night should have been a special thing, like when Pacino finally won his in the early 90s, but it had that "we have to finally give him one" feel to it. The fact that he babbled on about climate change for the majority of his speech didn't help either. 

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: February 29, 2016, 08:43:45 PM »
Big fan of the 88th Academy Awards

Chris Rock was an excellent host. I loved every piece of his monologue.

I loved that Spotlight received the award for original screenplay and Big Short for the adapted screenplay.

Mad Max receiving 6 awards was great, Aussies really do have great acceptance speeches.

I have not seen Bridge of Spies so I can't really comment on Mark Rylance who won Best Supporting Actor, but being a big fan of Spotlight I really felt Mark Ruffalo really deserved that one, and the names so similar when the winner was read out I really felt for him.

I wanted Rachel McAdams to win Best Supporting Actress for Spotlight and I haven't seen The Danish Girl so again can't comment on the winner.

Best Actress and Best Actor were well deserved for both Brie and Leo, both had exceptional speeches.

As for song, they were both good performances, but the one song missing that was missing from the nominations was Lava which was on the short film shown before Inside Out.

Director was tight, but The Revenant was well deserved, I won't even bother trying to spell his name correctly.

Best Picture winner Spotlight, well deserved, it was my pick although granted I had only seen 4 pf the Best Picture nominees.

If I have one criticism of the awards it is the presenters. I realize the dialogue is written for them, but it is painful dialogue 95% of the time, why not get them up their and just say we are here to present blah blah and here are the nominees, and then the winner is..... they will still be the presenter and still get their dress or suit seen and they will still receive their  goodie bag valued at 200k!
But when you see a winner up at the podium who has worked hard on their movie, been nominated, won the award, finally get up to the podium to say their thanks, and they are given about 42 seconds, even harder when there are two winners, usually the second winner barely gets to speak, even if they get the names of those they want to thank running along the bottom of the screen it is not the same. If the presenters time was limited then the actual winners could have an extra fifteen seconds each. if they need it and if there are multiple winners, extended time where applicable.

Will be good if Chris Rock is signed up to host again next year.  :smiley:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #116 on: February 29, 2016, 10:35:33 PM »
The fact that he babbled on about climate change for the majority of his speech didn't help either.
I thought it was a very humble and smart move to dedicate it to an important matter rather than just thanking all of his millionaire friends and family.

How curious, I hated 90% of what he said, and that 10% I enjoyed had nothing to do with racial issues  :P

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 29, 2016, 11:30:49 PM »
Real brief:  Chris Rock was pretty good initially ('what amazes me is that Will Smith made twenty million for 'Wild Wild West' was a classic.
But after the third or fourth bit, well, the horse is dead, we get it Chris, please move on .....but not to something tasteless like the Asian accountants' skit.

Lady Gaga has to be a slight talent to continually work with Tony Bennett.  I don't listen to her music, but her National Anthem was on par with Whitney Houston's.  Her performance Sunday was powerful.  I didn't know she was a rape victim until today.  So, that's handling that whole situation quite well.

I knew absolutely nothing of 'Spotlight' when the wife rented it.  Thought it was an old B&W flick.  Totally brilliant.  Deserved screenplay and film.  (Sad to see my former archdiocese on the ending 'list').

Finally:  the memorium.  The perfect ending.  'I have been, and always shall be, your friend.'   Thank you, Leonard.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2016, 06:42:43 AM »
The fact that he babbled on about climate change for the majority of his speech didn't help either.
I thought it was a very humble and smart move to dedicate it to an important matter rather than just thanking all of his millionaire friends and family.

How curious, I hated 90% of what he said, and that 10% I enjoyed had nothing to do with racial issues  :P

You are 1000% correct. Rock was horrible and unfunny. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get Jim Carrey to host.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2016, 07:41:33 AM »
I can't help but think that Jim Carrey would be an awful host.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2016, 08:20:49 AM »
Maybe in his prime he would have been a great choice, but he's been stepping out of the limelight and apart from Dumb and Dumber To, you really haven't heard much about him lately. He seems to prefer it that way, and hosting the academy awards would be opposite.

My money would still be on Kevin Spacey. He is always good on screen, he oozes the class and sofistication you sort of relate to the Oscars, and he can sing, dance, do celebrity impressions. He's a good mixture of serious and funny when he wants to be. I think he would do a great job, but lately they seem to go for more pure entertainers rather than big movie personalities, which is a bit of a shame. Another guy I think would do a good job would be The Rock. Unlike Spacey, he isn't a class actor, but he has the charisma and likability that I think he could pull it off.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2016, 08:21:36 AM »
Spacey would be awesome.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2016, 12:07:16 PM »
I haven't ever gotten why everyone likes the Rock so much. I don't think I really like any of his movies. Yeah, he's a bit likeable, but not that likeable. So on him hosting for me.

Spacey though is a great choice. And it feels like if they went with him they wouldn't feel the need to have to be funny all the time.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2016, 12:42:32 PM »
I can't help but think that Jim Carrey would be an awful host.

Yes

and

Spacey would be awesome.

Yes

I still enjoy when Billy Crystal does it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2016, 02:27:31 PM »
Yes, Crystal is fantastic.

TBH, I thought Ellen DeGeneres did a great job.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2016, 05:46:39 PM »
Yes, Crystal is fantastic.

TBH, I thought Ellen DeGeneres did a great job.

Yes! She's hysterical. I saw one of her stand-ups and it was great. I saw the one when the girl in the audience was in tears thanking Ellen for making it possible for women to come out and be proud about it. Ellen went up to her and hugged her. It was such a humbling moment.

It's not easy to find good awards show hosts. You need that specific personality. If it wasn't for the fact that every other word out of his mouth is fuck, I would love to see Lewis Black do it. He's my favorite comedian that's around right now, and probably in my Top 5 all-time after Jackie Gleason and George Carlin.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2016, 05:47:56 PM »
Spacey would be great, as would Bryan Cranston. 

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2016, 05:49:23 PM »
Chris Rock was fuckin awesome. His delivery was impeccable. His opening monolouge was the best in a long time....probably since Hugh Jackman's opening musical number in 2009. One of my favorite lines was "It's not always about racism. It's not always about sexism. The reason why Men get asked more questions is because we are all wearing the SAME THING!" :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2016, 06:34:57 PM »
So now Rock is a racist with Asians?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2016, 06:57:41 PM »
So now Rock is a racist with Asians?

Huh? I admit the little skit/joke thing was really bad, but it wasn't racist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Calvin6s

« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2016, 07:10:49 PM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/asian-jokes-at-oscars-2016_us_56d492e7e4b0871f60ec3c6b

Just saw the headline.  I didn't watch the Oscars.  I felt it my ethic responsibility to boycott the Oscars (like I've done every year since my birth)

Offline Adami

« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2016, 07:24:45 PM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/asian-jokes-at-oscars-2016_us_56d492e7e4b0871f60ec3c6b

Just saw the headline.  I didn't watch the Oscars.  I felt it my ethic responsibility to boycott the Oscars (like I've done every year since my birth)

Eh, he was making a really poor joke about child labor, but meant to shame Hollywood and America in general.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2016, 07:30:02 PM »
I don't really see anything racist about it. Calling it racist makes it sound deplorable.

Calvin6s

« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2016, 07:53:24 PM »
Well, we are talking about the Huffington Post.  It isn't as if it is a real journalist website.  I have it under the folder:  Entertainment.

Offline Adami

« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2016, 07:59:19 PM »
Well, we are talking about the Huffington Post.  It isn't as if it is a real journalist website.  I have it under the folder:  Entertainment.

Alright.

Anyway, if the Oscars wanted to go R rated, Deadpool (in character) would be a great host. A more realistic option, however, is Micheal Keaton. Dude has a really likable personality, has been in both of the past two years best pictures and seems pretty entertaining. He also seems like an out of the box idea.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »

Aren't they all just that...entertainment?   ;)

Anyway, if the Oscars wanted to go R rated, Deadpool (in character) would be a great host. A more realistic option, however, is Micheal Keaton. Dude has a really likable personality, has been in both of the past two years best pictures and seems pretty entertaining. He also seems like an out of the box idea.

True, true. I always liked him. I've always thought he was an underrated actor.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2016, 09:07:25 PM »
Michael Keaton would be great, but since he has been in the last two picture winners, I am guessing he has his pick of movies and will have no time.

Kevin Spacey is one of the best actors of all time, but lately he can't stop dropping F bombs every time he is interviewed, if he could curb that he would be an excellent host.

Would love to see Billy Crystal host again, even Whoppi Goldberg again.

Offline Adami

« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2016, 09:09:55 PM »
Sean Gunn.

Yup. Try to imagine it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2016, 09:50:35 PM »
I'm not a big Whoopi fan. I actually don't even find her the slightest bit funny.

Kevin Spacey would be great hosting it. He has the wit, the class, and the commanding presence.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2016, 10:24:22 PM »
I saw some people suggesting Louis C.K. after seeing the bit he did for this year's ceremony. I love the guy and think he would do a great job, but at the same time, I think if you left him up there that long, he would venture into some territory that "the masses" wouldn't be very comfortable with.