Author Topic: The Shannara Chronicles  (Read 1866 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The Shannara Chronicles
« on: January 14, 2016, 05:33:15 AM »
Anyone watching this?  I read the original trilogy about 25 years ago, but lost touch with the - holy shit! - 31 subsequent books that Terry Brooks wrote in this franchise.  I'm incredibly impressed with the production so far, given it's only being shown on MTV.  I guess with Jon Favreau as a backer, there is at least some depth to the funding pockets.  Good acting, excellent effects and cinematography... 3 episodes in, and this has the makings of a great fantasy series.  Hope it lasts.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The Shannara Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 05:41:29 AM »
I was thinking about watching it, but I'm waiting for some good reviews from people who are fantasy fans and fans of the book series. With it being shown on MTV, I'm a bit hesitant to jump right in. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend though just to see what it's like.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 05:51:46 AM »
I've never heard of this show or the book series. It's on the list.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 05:56:39 AM »
I've never heard of this show or the book series. It's on the list.

Highly, HIGHLY, influenced by LOTR.

Go for it John, I was really impressed.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 05:58:47 AM »
I will take your word for it. The posters for it are all over the subway stations so it's hard to forget to watch it.   :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 07:17:29 AM »
I never read the books; for some reason they escaped me, even when I was reading tons of this kind of stuff.

I'll give it a shot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 07:26:59 AM »
Same here.  Knew of the books back in the 80's or so, but never read them.  I didn't realize the show had started airing, but my daughter's been watching and she says it's good.  Okay, not that she's a reliable critic, but I'll check it out, and if it's good, it can at least be one more show that we watch together.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »
Looks like only 10 episodes have been ordered.  I'm hoping it has a good following, as they've clearly put a lot of coin into the production.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 08:04:06 AM »
Wow, I didn't know this was going on.  Like you, I read the original trilogy and then lost track. 

Yeah, it HEAVILY borrows from LOTR.  I remember as a pre-teen and teen not minding so much.  Not sure how it will sit now, but I am interested in watching.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 11:22:46 PM »
Four episodes in, and it's getting kinda good, and also upping the teen love triangle drama angst bullshit factor, so at this point, the jury's still out.  I saw it called "Shannara, 90210" elsewhere, and if they push the triangle stupidity any more, I might have to drop out, despite the fact that I think both of the female leads are ridiculously hot.  Eretria, the rover chick, is the little girl from Pan's Labyrinth.  I had to look her up.  She has grown up very nicely.

How many times are the Elf princes going to see magic actually used, with their own eyes, sometimes even saving their lives, before they stop saying that there's no such thing?  Morons.

The demons are pretty cool.  Nice special effects, especially for an MTv production.  I'm not sure what I expected, but I wasn't expecting it to be this good.  But since it's MTv, I guess the teen love triangle angst bullshit makes sense, too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 07:01:12 AM »
Yeah, it's just the one Elf Prince that's a total douche-waffle.  I don't mind the love-triangle at the moment, but yeah, I can see it getting over the top and annoying.  Can't remember if that was there in the book.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 07:19:30 AM »
All the generic teenager crap is annoying me a little too. But I can see potential in the story, so I intend to keep watching it.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 09:11:01 AM »
I saw it called "Shannara, 90210" elsewhere, and if they push the triangle stupidity any more,
Yea that was the reason I ignored looking more into the show, didn't feel like something for me. Tried the first episode of The 100 and I got the same vibe as with this. Teens, angst and drama combined with sci-fi dosen't interest me but maybe i'm a bit to harsh though?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »
FYI, the 100 will surprise you. I started it expecting it to not be very good, and the first few episodes were nothing special, but it actually turns out to be a pretty great show, and season 2 is even better.

Uh.

I don't know anything about this Shannara thing. Ninja out. :shadowninja:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 07:59:17 AM »
Not only does it borrow from Tolkien, but I've already seen two actors from Tolkien-related movies. John Rhys Davies plays an elf...that's irony for you.   :lol  Jed Brophy is also in this. He played Nori in The Hobbit Trilogy and also played random characters in the LOTR Trilogy. He played a nazgul, Sharku (the orc that Aragorn is fighting just before he goes off the cliff), and a couple of different orcs in the other movies as well.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 09:54:26 AM »
Also, Manu Bennett plays Alannon the Druid.  He was Azog the Goblin in The Hobbitt movies.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 10:34:43 AM »
Also, Manu Bennett plays Alannon the Druid.  He was Azog the Goblin in The Hobbitt movies.

Yes, I forgot about him.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 03:58:08 PM »
Started the first episode.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'd suspect from "MTV does LotR". Something like a cross between Hunger Games, GoT, and Teen Wolf. Ugh......

:lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 07:25:35 AM »
Yeah, it's not blowing my doors off. It's not as good as LOTR or Game of Thrones but it's still worth watching.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 01:41:18 PM »
First episode bored me.  Probably will not continue.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."