Author Topic: Sons of Anarchy  (Read 3158 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Sons of Anarchy
« on: January 12, 2016, 08:45:51 AM »
I know there are fans here, but I didn't see a dedicated thread.

I know I'm late to the party, but my wife and I just started watching this on Netflix.  Holy crap, what an engrossing story.

We got through the first season, and we are now 4 episodes into season 2.  Really enjoying this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sons of Anarchy
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 09:12:32 AM »
I tried to watch it once since I heard it was so good. But about halfway into the first episode I just thought that everyone was no super uncool and that whole biker-culture so lame that I couldn't invest in anything that was going on.

I'll give it another chance eventually though. Maybe I wasn't in the mood that day.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 10:07:57 AM »
I loved it until the last season and more specifically the ending. That's all I'll say since you're just now watching it but even with that, I thought it was a really great ride (LOLZ). Totally fucked up characters, really screwed up world view, everyone is unlikable at a certain point, and yet that is what makes it so charming (LOOKATMEGO) and titillating. Good show. Completely and totally hyped up way beyond any rational thought, but good.

My favorite will always be the first few seasons, those are actually really great and have some likable characters and the writing was still pretty great.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 11:21:10 AM »
Fantastic post, for various reasons  :lol

Yeah, so far so good.  I wouldn't expect every episode of a series that lasted 7 years to be golden, but the characters are dynamite so far, as is the "honor among thieves" (kind of).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:36:55 AM »
Yea I enjoyed the show alot and while there's some questionable acting here and there I was pretty hooked on the story and characters after the first season. I won't mention when or what but I did actually get unusually emotional on a couple of events and even some form of liquid developed in my eyes which is a rare thing for me while watching films/movies.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 09:34:21 AM »
Watched it all, one of my favourite series but the quality dropped after season 3, which was my favourite by far
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 09:56:49 AM »
Watched another four episodes last night.  I am digging this SAMCRO vs. white supremacists storyling, while Clay is clashing with Jax.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 08:28:38 AM »
The show was good for a while, but then kind of went to shit, IMO.  Overall, not a bad show, but not one I'd ever really recommend.

Offline Slipknot

• Fuck it all, fuck this world!!!
  • I AM THE GREAT BIG MOUTH!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 12:44:33 AM »
Fuck
PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE FUCKING AIR AND JUMP DA FUCK UP MOTHERFUCKER!!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 08:36:29 AM »
Fuck
Thank you for you input.

Finished up season 2, and now about 4 or 5 episodes into Season 3. Still pretty crazy.

Pleasantly suprised to see Stephen King show up in a minor role.  He was sufficiently creepy.  :biggrin:

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
Also thought it was interesting that his character was called "Bachman" which was the name of the pseudonym he used when writing novels like THE RUNNING MAN. I think "Richard Bachman," in turn, was meant as a "tribute" of sorts to "Richard Stark," the name that Donald Westlake used while writing things like the PARKER series. If you like SoA, you MIGHT like this series, even though it's NOT about bikers.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 04:47:31 PM »
I totally forgot King was in a (really fitting) role. He was great.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 10:51:47 AM »
I think "Richard Bachman," in turn, was meant as a "tribute" of sorts to "Richard Stark," the name that Donald Westlake used while writing things like the PARKER series.
That is, in fact, where "Richard" came from in that pseudonym.

"Bachman" came from Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 08:26:01 AM »
OK, so we are on season 5.  Jax is now the President.

Last night we watched episode 5 (they framed a city councilman by knocking him out and having pics made of him with a tranny hooker). 

OMG that was one of the best episodes I have ever seen of any TV show ever.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 09:01:24 AM »
For me Sons never was never quite able to match the heights of season 2 later on, at least as far as entire seasons go, but there are definitely still some gems in there. Venus Van Damme was always great though :lol

Did you watch Justified Hef?
Photobucket sucks.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 09:56:28 AM »
Did you watch Justified Hef?
Nope.  It's on my list.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 11:52:31 AM »
Finished with season 6.  Holy shit, what a shocking final episode there.

I have no idea how this stuff gets resolved in the last season.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 08:58:49 AM »
Only 3 episodes left.

Jax's son Abel just spilled the beans on the big secret Gemma's been keeping this season.  Can't wait to see that situation resolve itself.

Calvin6s

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 06:23:55 PM »
I started SoA late and finished up just in time to watch the last season on first airing.

I actually watched the pilot, but I went in with the wrong mind set.  FX was the station of my favorite comedy (at the time) It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.  So when I heard they were going to have a show with Peggy Bundy, I went in ready for the laughs.  Just couldn't recover from the preconception before it made it to the 1/3 mark.

But when I gave it a second try on Netflix a half decade later (and knowing more of what it was going to be), I liked it immediately.  It wasn't as much of a hook as Breaking Bad, but in that ballpark.

Calvin6s

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 06:25:21 PM »
Now that the  :tup has been established.

Tell me this doesn't happen to you when watching the first time:

Jax:  Tara.  I'm not gonna let that happen.

<That's totally ... exactly what is going to happen ... again>

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 08:30:37 AM »
Yeah.

We finished last night.  Crushing.

That was a really, really good show.  Sorry that it ended the way it did, but I understand.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
I know nothing about this show other than that my niece, who is married to a biker and who hangs with a pretty decent biker crowd, continually complains that when people find out she is part of a biker crowd, they immediately assume they're like the people they see on SOA and then she has to educate them that the bad stereotype that the show seems to perpetuate, is nonsense, as far as most biker communities are concerned.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 10:35:56 AM »
The show doesn't perpetuate any stereotypes of motorcycle clubs in general.  It does, however, do a very good job of telling a story about a one-percenter outlaw MC that is modeled on the Hell's Angels.

If people are stupid, then people are stupid.  All she should have to tell them is that the show is about an outlaw club, but most clubs aren't outlaw clubs.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 11:49:09 AM »
Yeah, basically people think she's part of a hard gang or something.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 11:56:28 AM »
Yeah, basically people think she's part of a hard gang or something.
That sucks. 

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 05:40:55 AM »

After hearing all the hype for years, I finally decided to catch this show on Netflix.  There were definitely some impactful moments, but overall,
I think the show was very overrated. It got to be monotonous and repetitious after a while. I didn't think there was enough diversity among the characters,
either. EVERYONE was crooked. The club members, the law, everyone. With everyone being dirty, it made betrayals less shocking. For me, anyway.

Season 3 in particular was excruciating to watch. It was centered around Jax finding his son, and of course, it took the whole fucking season to find him. (yawn)

It was funny to read Sir's post about his sister complaining about being stereotyped. Here in Florida, which is a hot bed for bikers, many of them actually enjoy being stereotyped,
and play up the image big time, but don't actually have the balls to live the life. It's a bit amusing.

One thing that surprised me was discovering Katey Sagal is actually a decent singer. I liked her version of "Greensleeves" that was used for the show.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 10:53:05 AM »
Mayans M.C. Season 1 Official Trailer

Pretty excited for this.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 02:55:13 PM »
Well, I sure hope it's better than The Bastard Executioner, but I'm curious as to whether or not this is going to have an interesting plot or not.

Sons is interesting looking back on it, it's been a few years since I've watched. I remember rolling my eyes at some of the super corny sexual stuff and how every episode especially in later seasons seemed to be the same stupid gang deal stuff followed by an absurd number of bodies dropping. Season 3 was indeed painful to watch, but I thought seasons 4 and 5 were the best, and the last 2 seasons were two of the worst.

The soundtrack was always good though. Their choice of Leonard Cohen (Come Healing) and the song for the finale (Come Join The Murder) are two personal highlights.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 01:49:34 PM »
I like it so far, feels very similar too SoA in alot of ways. It's hard too not miss the characters in SoA though because I feel no real connection too anyone but then again it's only 3 ep in. I know that I also struggled a bit to get hooked in the first season of Sons so we'll see.

I really dig the theme song, much better than the Sons theme funny enough.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 09:45:46 PM »
Finally digging deep into SoA, at about episode 11 or sth now, just right after they killed Opie's wife. Great frikkin show, just great.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2020, 01:22:26 PM »
Time for a rewatch of SoA. Just finished Lost and was planning on doing Fringe but felt for revisiting this show first.