Author Topic: RIP David Bowie  (Read 11278 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 06:57:49 AM »
Wow, RIP David.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2016, 07:02:10 AM »
 :sadpanda:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 07:12:13 AM »
Never really listened to Bowies albums besides his classic songs but i'm well aware of his influence on pop music and how loved he was for tons of artists and fans around the world.

Listening on Blackstar right now.

RIP Bowie
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 07:40:12 AM »
Haven't really discovered much of his music yet except for a handful of songs, but I like what I've heard. I'm going to check out The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust.

Rest in Peace, David. :heart

Offline TL

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 07:41:02 AM »
This one really hits hard. I was literally listening to a big Bowie playlist last night while working on some things.

Loss of a legend.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2016, 07:45:52 AM »
So sad. Such a legend!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2016, 08:04:44 AM »
Very sad. A giant.
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2016, 08:11:20 AM »
Very sad news. R.I.P.

RESPECT

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2016, 08:32:51 AM »
 :(
- Ronzoni -

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2016, 08:59:05 AM »
I was listening to Blackstar yesterday, thinking how awesome is that such an old man could craft an excellent albums like it. And then this. Fuck.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2016, 09:59:58 AM »
Just ordered Blackstar... have a couple of his earlier records and meant to get this. It was an obvious choice today...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »
Just went through Blackstar.

The hype is real, this album as a strange vibe to it... I'm not able to describe it per se, but it does feel as the culmination of a world-changing musical career. A nice balance between his older styles and a more modern/experimental edge, it's truly a worthy goodbye album.

The news hit me harder than I thought! I wasn't born yet when John Lennon was killed, but I guess people felt a little bit like this, like the world just lost a positive force.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2016, 10:05:29 AM »
I hadn't heard a whole lot of his material but I did really like a handful of his songs... but it was still a shock to hear, especially since I've been hearing news of Blackstar just releasing. He was a supremely talented being, both in music and otherwise; fantastic actor to boot and seemed like a genuinely nice person with an awesome personality.

I'm sad to see him go.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2016, 10:36:02 AM »
Was never really a fan but there is no denying the talent that he had.

R.I.P
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2016, 12:10:04 PM »
Couldnt believe when my mom told me she heard this on the radio, had to see for myselft in the internet to see if it really was truth and, yep, it was. Fucking sad, was just listening to Blackstar a day before, thinking how great it was  :'(

RIP David Bowie, will forever be remembered as one of the greatest songwriters to ever live.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:31:02 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2016, 12:39:13 PM »
He left us with, imo, his best, most refined album and artistic statement. As he would, and only he could. :hefdaddy  :millahhhh

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2016, 12:43:18 PM »
Not a fan at all (I simply never got a chance or the interest to actively follow his music) but he's one of those huge music personalities that you can't be indifferent to. And I hate that horrible, bastard disease that is cancer that strikes famous and unknown people alike, my uncle died of that and I'm sure many around here have a relative or an acquintance that succumbed to that disease.

Respect for a man that left his undeniable mark on rock music and, to put it on a lighter note, since I never really followed his music my memories of him are all mostly about his junk flaunted in front of a teenager Jennifer Connelly in Labyrinth  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2016, 12:44:48 PM »
In the Queen world, there's certainly a lot of heart felt emotions.  David and Annie Lennox's 'Under Pressure' was one of the best performances at Freddie's Tribute.  As for the 'artist' in Bowie, I had to watch 'Ashes To Ashes'.  Loved that video for some reason.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2016, 12:48:42 PM »
I've always been a casual fan, but by pure coincidence I was getting into him quite a lot lately. 'Let's Dance' was definitely my jam last week, I loved the new singles and record, and as a matter of fact, I was just playing his track 'Fame' with my band yesterday night.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2016, 01:03:16 PM »
I'm listening to one of his collections right now. He really did make some unique and brilliant music.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2016, 01:53:15 PM »
David Bowie is one of those artists that while I am not into his music, I have immense respect for.

Definitely very sad indeed and I sympathize with all of his fans.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2016, 02:29:24 PM »
Just went through Blackstar.

The hype is real, this album as a strange vibe to it... I'm not able to describe it per se, but it does feel as the culmination of a world-changing musical career. A nice balance between his older styles and a more modern/experimental edge, it's truly a worthy goodbye album.

The news hit me harder than I thought! I wasn't born yet when John Lennon was killed, but I guess people felt a little bit like this, like the world just lost a positive force.

Just listening through now.  I hear a massive Scott Walker influence, the title track sounds a lot like Cossacks Are.  But Bowie was very open about how much he admired Scott, covering Nite Flights in the 90s

Offline TL

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2016, 02:40:14 PM »
It's so surreal that he's gone.

I think I always just assumed that he'd be the one to hit the lights at the end of the universe.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2016, 02:49:17 PM »
Is Blackstar his new album?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2016, 02:58:40 PM »
Yes, it is.  One of my teenage sons has already listened to it, and has been asking me what I'm waiting for!  He says it's really good.
- Ronzoni -

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2016, 04:31:07 PM »
Oh it is. It's dark and solemn, but also quite experimental. It's a potential AOTY imo.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2016, 04:36:12 PM »
David Bowie is one of those artists that while I am not into his music, I have immense respect for.

Definitely very sad indeed and I sympathize with all of his fans.

Ditto.............my main memory is the joy that Labyrinth brought my little sister.  She was reeling off entire scenes from the movie last night on the way home from Nightwish when we heard the news.

I would struggle to name more than a handful of his songs off the top of my head but he would be one of those artists where (when reminded) I would know a lot more than come to mind immediately.  Even so , I admire his achievements and can't question his influence.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2016, 05:28:50 PM »
I once heard a bootleg of Bowie, Ronson and Wakeman playing during the Hunky Dory era - before Ziggy, where he still really hadn't ascended to full stardom.  I think it was basically just them playing in front of a handful of poeple, acoustic. The recording was so otherwordly, so poetic, so strange. 

When I saw the news, I couldn't believe it, but could believe that this is how he would have wanted to leave us - a bit of drama and a fond adieu. I had my Bowie phase a few years ago, but the affection will always be there.   Hunky Dory Bowie will always be my favourite, although I loved his latter albums, his tin machine noise (and Reeves Gabrels!), and Ziggy of course. But Hunky Dory is just a freak out, and also, it always reminds me of the beach, and (for different but similar reasons) also the life aqautic with steve Zissou.

Rip DB.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »
I don't listen to Bowie that much, but I do love Low (terrific record) and songs from many other albums.  Definite legend; he will be missed.

R.I.P.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2016, 11:18:02 PM »
Ashes to ashes...funk to funky...
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2016, 02:35:24 AM »
Goblin king, Goblin king...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2016, 09:09:33 AM »
You know, with the passing of several rock "greats" in the past couple years (Dio, Lemmy...) you see a sort of pattern:  they pass, and in the first couple days you hear how great they were as human beings (even if they weren't), you hear how influential they were, etcetera... but at the end of the day, the average soccer mom has no idea who Ian Kilmister was, and hasn't heard even a snippet of Rainbow's "Stargazer" or "The Last In Line". 

I realize Bowie was bigger than that, but I didn't realize HOW "bigger" until these last few days.  He made the nightly news.  Stern spent almost a whole show talking about him, in the most reverent of terms.  I'm a respectful fan (meaning, I respect him far more than I actually "like" his music, though I have "The Singles Collection" set and it rules, HARD), but I'm suitably impressed by how he has transcended just "rock music".     

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2016, 09:22:43 AM »
I cannot think of anyone who has managed to create such art (and such an artistic statement) out of their own death.

I got Blackstar this morning.  Only three tracks in (hooray, short commute!), it really is strange, beautiful, alien and familiar all at once.  King Crimson fans should check it out...not for riffs, but for the unsettling electronic-tinged avant-jazz feel.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline GedGeddNGeddy

• The truth is still out there
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2016, 09:33:31 AM »
Rest in peace to a legendary and revered artist. I've loved Bowie since I was a kid. Unbelievable.
"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubix cube, man, talkin' 'bout all blue-red, man, talkin' 'bout dang ol' get one side done, dang ol' messed up the other side."
- Boomhauer

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2016, 09:48:27 AM »
You know, with the passing of several rock "greats" in the past couple years (Dio, Lemmy...) you see a sort of pattern:  they pass, and in the first couple days you hear how great they were as human beings (even if they weren't), you hear how influential they were, etcetera... but at the end of the day, the average soccer mom has no idea who Ian Kilmister was, and hasn't heard even a snippet of Rainbow's "Stargazer" or "The Last In Line". 

I realize Bowie was bigger than that, but I didn't realize HOW "bigger" until these last few days.  He made the nightly news.  Stern spent almost a whole show talking about him, in the most reverent of terms.  I'm a respectful fan (meaning, I respect him far more than I actually "like" his music, though I have "The Singles Collection" set and it rules, HARD), but I'm suitably impressed by how he has transcended just "rock music".   

Speaking of that, and also a bit of the perspective of someone not from Europe and USA, I don't think there were loads of news in Russia about the deaths of a lot of rock and metal stars, for example Lemmy (as great and influential as he was) got only a few short videos in the mass media here. David Bowie, however, made the news on almost all the central channels and he appeared on the newspapers front pages and every reporter I saw and read was praising his work immensely.

He was huge indeed.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.