Author Topic: RIP David Bowie  (Read 11274 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2016, 05:20:41 PM »
I listened to some of it on the way home from work a bit ago, while it was snowing, and it was pretty damn great. :coolio

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2016, 05:30:07 PM »
Listened to Blackstar today and the title track is like a much better version of what Radiohead attempted on Kid A.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2016, 09:41:09 AM »
The music video to Blackstar is trippy as all hell. I haven't checked out Lazarus yet

Offline masterthes

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2016, 04:26:48 AM »
So, in a dick move, I heard last night from a friend who's a KJ, that Bowie's reps are pulling all his songs from professional karaoke shows. Like, for what reason?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2016, 08:23:26 PM »
Lawyers are weird about stuff like that sometimes, and now Bowie isn't alive to tell them to stop. 

Anyway, I am starting to think that Blackstar is one of his best songs ever, and yeah, that video is awesome.  Very haunting and beautiful, at the same time.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2016, 09:01:37 PM »
Anyway, I am starting to think that Blackstar is one of his best songs ever, and yeah, that video is awesome.  Very haunting and beautiful, at the same time.

Agreed and, for me, Lazarus is even better.

Dollar Days and I Can't Get Everything Away are pretty great too. And for fans of Low like you, Kev, there's the harmonica from "A New Career in a New Town" in the latter.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:23:50 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2016, 02:36:21 AM »
Been listening to some of his nineties albums lately and they are actually quite good. Very experimental, daring, very well structured. Such a loss.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2016, 06:58:35 AM »
I need to check out more of the 90s stuff. I only know a few songs from that decade by him.

Back to the new album, Girl Loves Me sorta snuck up on me last night on the way home from work.  Such a bizarre little song, but lots of fun.  :hat

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2016, 09:03:06 AM »
I liked Blackstar. But at work we've had Bowie on repeat and I gotta say. Still not a fan of his music or his voice.

Not saying he *can't* sing or write good songs.

They just do anything for me. Like at all. :(

Offline Mladen

« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »
Revisiting his discography over the last two weeks or so. I'm starting to gain a strong appreciation for Lodger, a very underrated album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2016, 11:36:43 AM »
Lodger is on my list of ones I need to revisit more, along with Hunky Dory.  It's hard revisiting too many at once, and for me, the albums I have really hammered over the last two weeks are the new one (since buying it last weekend), Ziggy Stardust, Low and Heroes.  And of course assorted songs from other albums. 

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2016, 03:40:51 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, a friend gave me a copy of Blackstar as a late Christmas present. It's the first Bowie album I have listened.

I have to listen to it a bit more, but I like it so far. The title track reminds me of The Mars Volta (particularly "El Ciervo Vulnerado"), and "Dollar Days" is a nice ballad.

Also, I found it strange that the packaging came with a "Parental Advisory" sticker; I didn't think David swore in his songs. Reading through the lyrics, I picture a man not taking himself seriously and having fun while writing, which amazes me (considering his situation while recording the album).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2016, 08:07:13 PM »
Yep, despite the weirdness of it, it definitely sounds like an album Bowie had fun making.  What a record to go to your grave having just made.  :coolio :hat

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2016, 09:31:57 PM »
Yep, despite the weirdness of it, it definitely sounds like an album Bowie had fun making.  What a record to go to your grave having just made.  :coolio :hat

Of the earlier tracks I know from him (which are not many, I must admit), I remember I really liked "Little Wonder" on first listen - it also sounded like a man having fun in the studio.

Would you say it's a mood on most albums? I'm asking because I'm not really familiar with his work.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2016, 02:41:46 AM »
Lodger is on my list of ones I need to revisit more, along with Hunky Dory.  It's hard revisiting too many at once, and for me, the albums I have really hammered over the last two weeks are the new one (since buying it last weekend), Ziggy Stardust, Low and Heroes.  And of course assorted songs from other albums.

'Look back in anger' from Lodger: that drumwork! are you kidding me??! I'm telling you that band was no slouch.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2016, 04:24:19 PM »
"Girl Loves Me" gives me a major Peter Gabriel vibe. Just the way it's sung.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »
The song Blackstar reminds me of Kid A.

Except good.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2016, 04:37:51 PM »
Me too.

Except I love both.  :P

Offline Mladen

« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2016, 02:39:28 AM »
Yep, the song Blackstar is almost as great as Kid A.  ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2016, 05:22:34 PM »

Of the earlier tracks I know from him (which are not many, I must admit), I remember I really liked "Little Wonder" on first listen - it also sounded like a man having fun in the studio.

Would you say it's a mood on most albums? I'm asking because I'm not really familiar with his work.

There is still quite a bit of Bowie material I am unfamiliar with (so many albums, so little time!), but he always did a great job of moving from sound to sound, style to style, as far as I can tell. 

And it's so weird to be talking about him in the past tense now.  :(

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2016, 06:17:31 PM »
Slowly making my way through his discography. I own about half right now, all from random points in his career.

I'm sad to find that I can't get into the "Heroes" album all that much.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2016, 11:11:46 PM »
There is still quite a bit of Bowie material I am unfamiliar with (so many albums, so little time!), but he always did a great job of moving from sound to sound, style to style, as far as I can tell. 

And it's so weird to be talking about him in the past tense now.  :(

Yeah, I knew of that aspect of his work. Maybe I'll delve into it later this year, after I save some money.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2016, 09:16:45 PM »
Many months later, Blackstar is still freaking great.  :hat

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2016, 11:17:40 PM »
The soundtrack/original cast recording for his musical, Lazarus, was just released. I think any Bowie fan would appreciate it. And Michael C. Hall (Dexter) sounds surprisingly like Bowie.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2016, 08:57:28 AM »
Good point. A few weeks back, I saw the performance Hall did of Lazarus last winter, and it was really good. 

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2016, 09:49:03 PM »
I had lost interest for Bowie for such a long time. His passing took me by surprise and I was very much sadden by it. I knew he was not Touring anymore and thought he was a bit retired.

I became a very big fan of him around 83-84-85 and bought a lot of records. I was singing and playing his songs on guitar and saw him in concert in 83. He was already a legend and the concert had something unique I had not experienced yet. I will miss him for sure.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2016, 05:37:02 AM »
The soundtrack/original cast recording for his musical, Lazarus, was just released. I think any Bowie fan would appreciate it. And Michael C. Hall (Dexter) sounds surprisingly like Bowie.

Are those four new songs on the second disc done by the cast, or are they just straight-up Bowie studio recordings? Because if it's the latter, I'd love to pick that up.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2016, 08:08:15 AM »

Are those four new songs on the second disc done by the cast, or are they just straight-up Bowie studio recordings? Because if it's the latter, I'd love to pick that up.

The bonus disc is "Lazarus" from Blackstar and then the three other songs recorded by Bowie and the Blackstar backing band during those sessions. (Note that there are also cast versions on disc 1.) They're easily just as good as the record, especially "Killing a Little Time."

I think the cast versions are awful, but it's mostly because I just don't care about the play whatsoever, and have no interest in someone who isn't Bowie singing his songs. I like that they used the Outside tour arrangement of "The Man Who Sold the World," though.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »
Yeah, that's why I didn't buy it. No interest in the cast singing, but I'd love to have those final three Bowie songs and just sort of "attach" them as tracks 8, 9, & 10 to the Blackstar record.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »
So yeah, I've been randomly checking out Bowie songs on YT I am unfamiliar with and then buying the ones I like from iTunes, and this one is a major winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSA37Qe9Xm4 (I'm Deranged)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2016, 06:10:13 PM »
So yeah, I've been randomly checking out Bowie songs on YT I am unfamiliar with and then buying the ones I like from iTunes, and this one is a major winner:

Definitely a highlight! I'm quite partial to Outside. Another kicker from that one is "The Voyeur of Utter Destruction (As Beauty)," particularly the 50th birthday performance.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2016, 08:05:37 PM »
Kev,  saw that tour with NIN.  I loved it. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2016, 01:37:37 PM »
Outside seems to be the go-to later-day-Bowie album for many people. Not counting Blackstar and The Next day, both of which kind of immediately achieved cult status. There's plenty of good stuff on Outside.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2016, 02:06:47 PM »
I really enjoy Heathen as well. I think his later work is great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2016, 06:07:59 PM »
Any recommendations on songs from later albums are more than welcome. :coolio

Definitely a highlight! I'm quite partial to Outside. Another kicker from that one is "The Voyeur of Utter Destruction (As Beauty)," particularly the 50th birthday performance.

Good recommendation!  I checked it out, liked it, and bought it from iTunes. :hat

Kev,  saw that tour with NIN.  I loved it.

Very nice!