Poll

Choose your winner!

Flyffy
Voltsters
homework
Pain of Naught
Elitist
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. UNNECESSARY EPILOGUE  (Read 79524 times)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
EP rules added to the post after results. Please take your time, for this is your very last chance to win this, my finalists.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
EP rules added to the post after results. Please take your time, for this is your very last chance to win this, my finalists.
Sent. :rollin

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
This time I won't check anything until I have them all, so you're free to resubmit in case you regret something or your EP doesn't follow the rules :P

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
One of my artists clocks in at 15:36, but I didn't think that would bother you. Let me know if it does.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
2.5 out of 5 :lol

Yes, I did take a 'risk' there, although there was basically no way I would not make the Finals (unless I scored like a 0.5 and the rest score a 4 or higher). The song is indeed fucked up, and it didn't pay off well (it's called Pears of Lunch by the way). I'm gathering tracks for the EP Round now and will send them when ready.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

I did think I had a chance of making the finals when sending that song, but no way I thought it was possible after the re-listening adjustments. I think you'll really like this album though, it's very Mars Volta-y (this song probably has the least Mars Volta resemblance out of all of them).

So, a couple of questions here. In the final round, does everyone start with a clean slate? Or do you count upwards from our current scores. This is a pretty big deal because if fluffly is already +3 points ahead I have to take some risks and stuff. Also, will you post the scoring system before the deadline to send the EP's? I might want to wait for that to be sure, I have already thought about the EP for a bit, but not very seriously because I didn't think I'd make the finals.
Just thought of this too: How do you handle 2 minute interlude tracks/tracks to connect other songs? I have one or two of those in mind but I don't know if you can score them properly compared to actual songs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:09:32 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Wow, nice that I made it to the finals! Is it possible to send files via the forum? Or should I upload them somewhere or something?

By the way the composer of the track I sent is Yann Tiersen (instead of Amelie :p), I probably like this song too much because I have played it way too often on piano :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
(sneakyblueberry) JOANNA NEWSOM - Emily
This is both beautiful and a weird piece - the instrumentation is gorgeous, yet the structure is kind of all over the place. Probably due to the melodies, but had a tough time telling whether there were several movements and reprises, or if it jumped from idea to idea. After several listens, I feel it's the former. Still, it's all over the place. Also, I kind of got used to her voice, but it's a bit annoying when it gets harsh, for it sounds like she had flu or something. Still, a pretty enjoyable track. +3.5/5

Well, what can I say... that Frank Ocean song was excellent! But besides that, you've had more misses than hits - maybe our tastes aren't really that compatible. At least I can promise you to check lots of classic albums I have pensing ;) Thanks for playing!

ahaha, that's a score better than I thought you'd give it!  glad you enjoyed it somewhat, although your criticism on the structure isn't warranted imo. 

the song sounds through composed at first, but it follows a set structure, that sort of shrinks. if you gave each section a letter it'd be: (A-B-C)-(D)-(A-B-C)-(A-B)-(D).

thanks for having me in your roulette! even tho it was super frustrating @ times :lol :tup

Offline Fluffy Lothario

(Fluffy Lothario) Fire! Orchestra - Enter, Part One
Your song was one of the two "fucked-up" tracks, and unlike the other, this one is amazing. Like I said on that write-up, I've become more interested in experimental music. But not everything is gold - some artists I respect for their endeavours more than actually liking their music. This is a case were both intersect in a curious, even if weird way.

So, to the song - it's fucking weird. Vocals are creepy, the sax player is fucking insane, and the rest of the musicians are excellent. I really like the flow this track has, how they all get along making this. A remarkable moment is the female vocal performance on the second half - pure lunacy. Although it's one of the longest tracks on the round, it really didn't feel like it. I don't have much to say, other than this was full of great moments. Btw, our secret player submitted something from this band's first album in round one - I told him "nothing generic" and he looked straight into his avant-garde folder :lol So yeah, I can definitely see how "along with the Swans, these guys are about the most awesome band on the planet at the moment." 4.5/5

I dunno how many roulettes you've played, but man, you were on fire on this one - from the beginning you got a good grasp of what I liked and sent according to it, with some little interesting experiments here and there.I think you deserve your #1 spot, and on any other roulette you'd have already been given the crown - but that ain't how we do things here. Welcome to the finals.

And for the first time, I top a round.  :lol

I'm curious as to what else Mr Mystery Player sent if he has Fire! Orchestra on hand.

I could write pages about F! O, they are mindblowing. They're one of those acts like The Mars Volta or the Swans that are just wiping their asses with the rulebook. Oh, and yeah, their singers are nuts. The last 1/4 of their first album, Exit!, is unlistenable even to me, as the singer goes a bit too mental (and there's not enough going on musically). On Enter, it's more moderate insanity spread out across the entire album.

They have a new album scheduled for the end of April, by the way.

If you like that kind of sax playing (which is basically just free jazz sax), you should check out Coltrane's later albums (like Ascension and Meditations), Pharoah Sanders (Karma, Black Unity, and he appeared on Jazz Composers Orchestra, as well as those Coltrane albums), Albert Ayler (Spirits) and Eric Dolphy (Out to Lunch).

This is that sax player, Mat Gustafsson, with a different band called The Thing, plus a guest sax player from another free jazz band from the '80s I've never heard of, but are apparently great. I didn't like what I checked out of The Thing's studio stuff, but this gig is like tapping the fucking source, pure absolute fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQYrQ3XvHU

My taste is fairly weird, so I don't play in tons of roulettes because the stuff I would send ain't gonna appeal to a lot of people. Just recently is the first time I've done any in years.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Well my life is ruined. Thanks Lucas. I don't know if I'll ever be able to talk to u again.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Sent! Along with a wall of text.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
So, a couple of questions here. In the final round, does everyone start with a clean slate? Or do you count upwards from our current scores. This is a pretty big deal because if fluffly is already +3 points ahead I have to take some risks and stuff. Also, will you post the scoring system before the deadline to send the EP's? I might want to wait for that to be sure, I have already thought about the EP for a bit, but not very seriously because I didn't think I'd make the finals.
Just thought of this too: How do you handle 2 minute interlude tracks/tracks to connect other songs? I have one or two of those in mind but I don't know if you can score them properly compared to actual songs.
I'm still constructing the scoring system in a way that allows everyone to win but still counting the little advantage you had with the position in the top 5. Yes, I'll post it this weekend. Well, I'll individually rank the songs, and an interlude will receive a good score if it really works as such - if not, probably a low score.

Wow, nice that I made it to the finals! Is it possible to send files via the forum? Or should I upload them somewhere or something?

By the way the composer of the track I sent is Yann Tiersen (instead of Amelie :p ), I probably like this song too much because I have played it way too often on piano :azn:
Via PM should be fine. I exactly know that feeling, some pieces are way more moving when played by yourself.

the song sounds through composed at first, but it follows a set structure, that sort of shrinks. if you gave each section a letter it'd be: (A-B-C)-(D)-(A-B-C)-(A-B)-(D).
That makes sense, but I struggled to tell them apart so it all kind of blurred, but it's still pretty nice :P

If you like that kind of sax playing (which is basically just free jazz sax), you should check out Coltrane's later albums (like Ascension and Meditations), Pharoah Sanders (Karma, Black Unity, and he appeared on Jazz Composers Orchestra, as well as those Coltrane albums), Albert Ayler (Spirits) and Eric Dolphy (Out to Lunch).

This is that sax player, Mat Gustafsson, with a different band called The Thing, plus a guest sax player from another free jazz band from the '80s I've never heard of, but are apparently great. I didn't like what I checked out of The Thing's studio stuff, but this gig is like tapping the fucking source, pure absolute fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQYrQ3XvHU
Noting all of this  :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Sounds good  :tup I doubt I will actually win this, but I'm pretty much 100% sure that there's nothing I can add or cut out to make it better, so I'm satisfied with the one I just sent, no short intro tracks in the end.

If my calculations are correct, there's a good 60% chance of Dutch victory, bring it on home boys!  :metal

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Btw, if somebody wanted to send a few tracks you didn't end up using in the roulette, now's the time to do so :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
when I get home I'm sending you oceansize and songs that have growls during soft parts

Offline Tyrias

Btw, if somebody wanted to send a few tracks you didn't end up using in the roulette, now's the time to do so :P

Did you check out those other songs I sent you with the round 10 submission?

Offline 425

(425) Spock's Beard - The Light (Live)
I quite like Neal Morse's work with Flying Colors and Transatlantic yet never felt compelled to check this band. So... it sounds like prog by the numbers, imitating 70s prog at times, but with a bit of a modern approach I guess? Nothing wrong per se with that, but I feel it's been done to death and no longer appeals to me. Like Fluffy said, I feel when listening to this song I have already heard everything I need to listen about his work. A bit of a shame, being such a prolific artist.

I figured this would be your reaction. I feel like you could summarize a lot of division between prog fans just by asking whether you're more of a fan of Neal Morse or Steven Wilson. Neal doesn't change styles much, staying mostly instead in one moderately accessible style that emphasizes positivity and epic-ness, writing consistently strong music in that style, while Steven switches up styles all the time and sometimes gets into some pretty weird and dark stuff. I'm more of a Neal fan than a Steven fan, in that I like just strong melodic music and don't mind if an artist sits in a pretty similar and well-trodden stylistic space, so long as they maintain a really high level of quality in that space. And obviously you're more of a Steven fan, probably because you like experimentation and doing different things and you get bored if an artist sits in familiar stylistic territory.

I don't know, that's just a thought I had about prog fans and why I'm totally not surprised that you aren't crazy about Neal Morse.

Also, this song is all over the place, going from theme to theme. I normally wouldn't mid that approach if each section had enough time to develop a bit, and was awesome on its own. This just feels like it constantly jumps from idea to idea with no clear direction. For 16 minutes. I guess I deserve this :P +3/5

Yeah, and see, this is exactly how I felt about this song the first four or five times I listened to it. Eventually it just clicked and it all fell into place for me. So I might suggest giving it another try down the road, especially if you find yourself singing "I. AM. THE CATFISH MAN."

I feel you were probably the most affected by my roulette restrictions, but you still decided to play and sent me great music like Midnight (never imagined myself liking Coldplay :lol ), Heaven and Hell, and the Bon Iver song, even if it took ages to click. I hope you play in my v3 for a second chance!

Honestly, just the fact that you listed Midnight right after "great music" makes it worth it for me. Glad you liked a few things, enjoyed playing this! We'll see about v3 in 2025 when that happens... depends on if I have enough music by then.  :P
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
when I get home I'm sending you oceansize and songs that have growls during soft parts

Don't :lol

I have Oceansize on my EP
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
okay, pm me which song then  :P
maybe I'll just send more growls over quiet parts instead

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'll get to these songs after the finals so send oceansize if you want, Parama  :tup

Offline Fluffy Lothario

I had planned to send this song in the EP round, assuming I got to it, but once I was constructing a playlist, I realised you can't really get poppy jazzy Swedish rap to gel with other songs. However, it's maybe the coolest song ever written, so go nuts.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwfDNzTYks

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
^ This is cool! Hot damn.

How long do you think you'll take for this round Lucas? I'm hyped as fuck.

If that MOVITS! song is any indication of the quality of Fluffy's music(, shame on me for not checking out more of the songs sent in this roulette than I have,) I'll gladly accept the second place.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
You'll have to do with third place at least then.
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Third place? No way in hell man, Slipknot in an EP is bound to go smoothly :neverusethis:

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, I'll start listening once I get all the EPs, which are due tomorrow. Then, because of the epic length of them all, it should normally take me around a week, but I'm travelling to Bs As this Monday evening because of SW's gig next day, and coming back the other, and also getting back home for Easter and... I'd say no more than two weeks.

Don't worry, I'll post tidbits and other crap to keep this thread alive :P

Offline Fluffy Lothario

^ This is cool! Hot damn.

If that MOVITS! song is any indication of the quality of Fluffy's music(, shame on me for not checking out more of the songs sent in this roulette than I have,) I'll gladly accept the second place.
Yeah, Movits! are quite snazzy. I should have sent the damn song in the regular rounds. Or, you know, come to think of it, maybe it would have worked between the second and third tracks on the EP...

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well you still have time to modify your EP if you want :P

Offline Fluffy Lothario

See, I didn’t think that because I added quite a poppy song at the last minute, Movits! might not be totally out of place.

I want to say yes, but now I’ve already gotten feedback on it, is that fair?

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I haven't listened to the song so no feedback from me, and I ain't letting ToN's opinion bias me (sorry  :-[ ), so if you want, you can include it.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

People do send songs to multiple roulettes and all...

I'll add it, but if anyone has an objection, feel free to kick and scream and Sacul can go back to the unamended EP.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Totally fair dude, go with it.

I personally won't change a thing because my EP is very confined to a theme sorta, there's nothing I can replace/add and not take away from the overall value. Maybe it would score better because individual songs will probably weigh more than flow and stuff, but I'm going to keep this one as it is.

So it's only home until you have them all I assume?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I'm not going to change anything in my EP because if I do it once, I'll keep doing it. :lol I just have to stick to my guns and hope for the best.

Offline home

I'll send my EP later today, I want to listen to it once to see if it flows okay. I can't figure out how to send files though, there isn't an attach file button right? Could I perhaps send a youtube playlist?

I'll add it, but if anyone has an objection, feel free to kick and scream and Sacul can go back to the unamended EP.
That's completely fine :azn:

Lucas - Sacul, wow things are making sense  :omg:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I mixed my songs into one .flac file with audacity (thanks Evermind  :P) and then uploaded it using MEGA.nz. You can use this to upload the separate songs too though.

If you've uploaded it just right click it to view the link. From there you can copy the link + code and send it to Sacul. If this is all too vague I guess a Spotify or Youtube playlist works too.

Offline home

I mixed my songs into one .flac file with audacity (thanks Evermind  :P) and then uploaded it using MEGA.nz. You can use this to upload the separate songs too though.

If you've uploaded it just right click it to view the link. From there you can copy the link + code and send it to Sacul. If this is all too vague I guess a Spotify or Youtube playlist works too.
Thanks that should work! :azn: