Poll

Choose your winner!

Flyffy
Voltsters
homework
Pain of Naught
Elitist
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. UNNECESSARY EPILOGUE  (Read 79472 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Since all rounds are open, I assume there's no harm in sending a normal length song for round 10?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

I forgot about the potential of that epic last round.

There's an album on the list that I had ruled out sending something from because every track is like 15 mins. Guess I might be able to send it after all.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
If I have no chance of reaching the Finals, I'm probably going to send a 19-minutes-long song. I mean, I know it will be over the length limit but I had to endure Sacul's awful tastes during the whole roulette, so he should be able to deal with it. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
I hope that that sneak-peek list isn't ranked from high to low  :lol
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I think it might be, I wouldn't be too surprised if Hey Now was in last place judging by Sacul's tastes and common sense.

If I have no chance of reaching the Finals, I'm probably going to send a 19-minutes-long song. I mean, I know it will be over the length limit but I had to endure Sacul's awful tastes during the whole roulette, so he should be able to deal with it. :lol
That was actually my plan in your roulette if I have no more chance to promote to the next round, I have a very nice 19 minute-ish track that you might like  :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't forget the last round before the elimination is going to be female fronted. I won't accept anything not female fronted for that round.

Still, if it's male fronted, you can submit it for Round 5 though, points reduction and all.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Yea I'm well informed, the plan would only persue if I completely failed the first 4 rounds, but I doubt I will be completely irrellevant to the competition at that point now.

I really suck at female fronted, in past roulettes I got away with it pretty nicely with some electronic stuff, but that doesn't cut it this time around  :lol luckily I already have my string/woodwinds/brass song ready, so I have plenty of time to think it through.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Evermind, this isn't your roulette thread   :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
If you sent me a 19 mins song, I'd just reject it and ask for resubmission :P

Songs are ordered by how added them, don't look too much into it  :loser:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

No, see, you've got to accept it. Otherwise I'll send you some shitty song, and that 19 minutes one is quite great in my opinion.

Offline 425

I don't know who sent Arc of Space, but I love them for it.

Hi.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I don't know who sent Arc of Space, but I love them for it.

Hi.

in my heart I reach you

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

No, see, you've got to accept it. Otherwise I'll send you some shitty song, and that 19 minutes one is quite great in my opinion.
Maybe I could accept it and discount you like 1 or 2 points - in a out of 5 rating system, that's a lot :P

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - RELISTENING PT 1 RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #923 on: March 07, 2016, 07:35:07 PM »
So yeah, relisten results of the first five rounds. Most of these are pretty short because I don't have much to say besides what I've already stated in their former writeup - all of these just grew on me a bit.

Round 1

(Evermind) Pain of Salvation - Iter Impius
Yeah, I think I can get into this band through this album if it's half as good as this track.
Previous score: 4
New score: +4

(Shadow Ninja 2.0) Celldweller - Gift for you
Yeah, this track has a fantastic atmosphere and production.
Previous score: +4
New score: 4.5

(425) Coldplay - Midnight
Took me some time to get used to the song's minimalism, but it has a pretty great atmosphere.

(sneakyblueberry) Horse the Band - Cloudwalker
Ok, maybe because I've been listening to Converge this made a bit more of sense now?
Previous score: 3
New score: +3

Round 2

(Train of Naught) Koan Sound - Sly Fox
For some reason I'm digging this more now than before. It's still pretty repetitive, but the groove makes up for it.
Previous score: +3.5
New score: 4

(FlyingBISKIT) The Dear Hunter - At the End of the Earth
Yeah, this is pretty great. The atmosphere is excellent and the outro quite good.

(425) Bon Iver - Skinny Love
Maybe because I'm a bit sensible as of late this made click. It's a pretty emotional piece that I wonder why I didn't see that before - although it may sound like a happy song, it's definitely not a joyful one with that out of tune guitar and the desperate chorus. Sounds like a depressed person's attempt to lift itself up. I can picture this guy there on the cold basement playing it. Damn.
Previous score: +3
New score: +3.5

(Parama) The Angelic Process - Dying in A-Minor
I have no clue why I added this album to the list months ago, but I'm so glad I did. I've already listened to this record like 5 times, and it's amazing. This particular song is a nice breath of fresh air (well, kinda) in such a cathartic, crushing album. Those feels, and the atmosphere, damn. Oh, and I think the title track might be even better than Dying in A-Minor, but both are amazing.
Previous score: 4.5
New score: +4.5

(splent) Yellow Magic Orchestra - Behind the Mask
This is a bit better than I recalled it to be.
Previous score: +3
New scores: 3.5

Round 3

(splent) OutKast - B.O.B.
This song is pretty badass and varied. I should have payed it a bit more of attention back then.

(Shadow Ninja 2.0) múm - We Have A Map Of The Piano
This is just wonderful. Those, eh... dunno what instruments are those that appear on the second half, but now I really liked them.
Previous score: +4
New score: 4.5

(sneakyblueberry) Frank Ocean - Pyramids
Yeah this song is better than any lame alt R&B like Drake or whatever.

Round 4

(sneakyblueberry) Kayo Dot - Zlida Caosgi
Well, I like the most, eh... epic moments here? It still feels like it goes nowhere tho.
Previous score: +2.5
New score: 3

(Bolsters) Lorde - Glory And Gore
Somehow, I like this one a bit more on this relisten. The chorus is excellent.

(Evermind) The Gentle Storm - New Horizons
Myabe if it had a little bit less cheese, I'd have loved it, but it's still excellent.

Sadly no round 5 songs were worthy of bonus point on relistens - yeah it still sucks. Updated standings!

Standings
33 - Fluffy Lothario xxxxx
33 - Elite xxxxx
+32 - Bolsters xxxx
+30.5 - Shadow Ninja 2.0 xxxxx
30.5 - home xxxxx
+30 - Parama xxxxx
+30 - Train of Naught xxxxx
+30 - Evermind xxxxx
(30 - Symphony)
30 - Biskit xxxxx
+29 - senecadawg2 xxxxx
28 - 425 xxxxx
28 - splent xxxxx
+27.5 - Tyrias xxxxx
26.5 - Sneakyblueberry xxxxx
24.5 - mikemangioy xxxxx

Although the top 3 is pretty much going to the finals at this point, Shadow Ninja and home are at risk if they fuck up and either ToN, Evermind, or Parama come up with something great. To the rest, the roulette is not over yet!  :smiley:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
is the +4.5 the highest score of the roulette thus far, i don't remember anything else getting one of those yet  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Only your song and Bird of Sorrow :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oh, bird of sorrow, fair enough

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
(Evermind) Pain of Salvation - Iter Impius
Yeah, I think I can get into this band through this album if it's half as good as this track.

It isn't. :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I beg to differ, BE is excellent
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

It's decent, but Iter Impius is so much better than everything else on the album (except maybe Imago and Martius / Nauticus II) it's not even a contest for me.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I was very disappointed with BE.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

It's decent, but Iter Impius is so much better than everything else on the album (except maybe Imago and Martius / Nauticus II) it's not even a contest for me.

Iter Impius is by far the best track indeed, but there's many other excellent songs on the album. I can see why one wouldn't like the album though and it's not my favourite Pain of Salvation record either, but to write off the album as a whole.. Yes, it's does have its shitty moments (especially in the endlessly dragging snoozefest of Dea Pecuniae), but the good moments are so good. The live version of the album is actually even better than the studio version (if you pay no attention to the weird video choreography). I'll have to relisten it myself, it's been a long time.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I was very disappointed with BE.

Well, I know I sent you Iter Impius, but you probably should've tried Remedy Lane or TPE pt. 1 first.

Yes, it's does have its shitty moments (especially in the endlessly dragging snoozefest of Dea Pecuniae)

Yeah, that one is pretty bad. This song is probably the main reason I don't love this album.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Didn't expect a bonus point for Sly Fox  :lol but nice. The race for the finals is starting to get really tight now.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
The race for the finals is starting to get really tight now.
And I hoped this relisten would break some ties  :lol

Hopefully the next relisten and Round 9 results will do so - expect the latter in ~10-12 hours from this post. If I were you, I'd be like this:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
you already told us everything was awful, I just want to be home by the time yout post results so I don't get snubbed sending the song I want to :lol

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together

Hopefully the next relisten and Round 9 results will do so - expect the latter in ~10-12 hours from this post. If I were you, I'd be like this:

Nah more like

Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach

That's exactly how I am. Already debating whether I should get you banned or leave DTF if you hate my song.

Offline senecadawg2

Elite is right about BE--really good album.

Not as good as Remedy Lane, though, in my opinion.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Celestial Soonlixir

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

While you wait for results, I'll leave this here  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i had the best song in the best round, i win the roulette by defualt :neverusethis:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 9 RESULTS HERE!!!!
« Reply #942 on: March 08, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »
You know, I decided to have 15 players to up the chances of finding good stuff, and to have somehow consistent rounds with just a few duds - seems like that proportion has gone the other way around this time. Honoestly, at this point of the game, I didn't expect this. But, in the end, my tastes make little sense to you although they're pretty clear to me, so it's not much of your fault :P

(mikemangioy) Mestís - Gentle Giant
Eh... no. Kind of generic whale-core :P At least the bass sounds gud. 2.5/5

(Parama) The Hirsch Effekt - Bezoar
I think that even after like 5-6 listens, this track still makes very little sense to me structurally. I wouldn't mind if every part was awesome on its own. Sadly, this isn't really the case - I feel the good parts are sporadic, while there's an abundance of heavy sections that seem done for the sake of heaviness. And for some reason some melodic parts remind of Haken circa Visions. And I like Converge because of the excellent songwriting - those guys don't make heavy, furious songs for the sake of it, but to express and fuel their anger and frustration. Kind of the same with Nine Inch Nails. Although I have to be in the mood to enjoy the mentioned, I feel like an emotional catharsis when I listen to them. Plus they have better songwriting. 2.5/5

(Evermind) Seventh Wonder - Unbreakable
This is like a crossover of power metal, prog, and anime intro (or outro?) music - a fucking cheesefest :lol

Honestly, this sounds generic as fuck, and falls into several of the tropes I dislike about the aforementioned genres - even a guitar solo lol. No, I don't connect with this kind of music at all. Basically that. Oh, and the singer is pretty great. 2.5/5

(Shadow Ninja 2.0) Vulture Industries - The Tower
I can definitely see why you love this thing, but I honestly don't connect with it. Don't have much to say, for that sums up it perfect. +2.5/5

(senecadawg2) Max Richter - She Remembers
Soundtracks are a very tricky thing to me, for I feel I rarely enjoy them out of their context without having listened to them in such context in the first place. I can only imagine this piece belong to a very dark, sad scene of this series. It's a nice little song, but... just that. Nothing makes it stand out nor I connect with it - it feels incomplete without context. At this point I wonder if you're even trying, mate - I know you have better stuff that would suit my tastes :P 3/5

(sneakyblueberry) Jeff Buckley - Vancouver
For a moment I thought you would try to redeem Buckley with another song from Grace :P So... even after several listens I can't recall a single thing from this song besides his great vocal performance. Odd thing, but I guess it's because I didn't really connect with it. 3/5

(Bolsters) - Pilgrim
This is quite a mixed tune, for on one had there's a nice atmosphere and good vocals and melodies - on the other that weird, eh... trumpet melody that keeps appearing for like half of the song. I don't really like it. Other than that, it was nice I guess - maybe I'd have like other songs from the album more, as you said :P 3/5

(425) Bruce Dickinson - Arc of Space
I can be quite picky with my ballads - while I normally prefer female-fronted beautiful stuff (like iamthemorning and Marketa Irglová <3), that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a ballad with male vocals. And... I don't really connect with this track. And the worst is I'm not exactly sure why - the song is there, and I'm here, but there's basically no link between both as it would happen with tunes I liked more. 3/5

(splent) G. F. Handel - Solomon: Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
This is one of those things about classical music that make it such a mixed genre for me - lots of compositions sound the same, or very similar, like they could be written by the same guy. While enjoyable, I didn't find anything really outstanding about this piece. If it makes you feel better, here is my absolute favorite classical piece: Beethoven - Sonata 14 "Moonlight" Movement 1. There's a world of difference between listening to a recorded interpretation and playing it, for it's a very moving piece - when I learned it, it could made me tear up. Really an astonishing composition. 3/5

(Elite) Look to Windward - Vad Åskan Sade
What kind of music this even is? :lol

To be honest I feel quite mixed about this song, for it goes many, many places in less than 7 mins, meaning it's quite hard to digest in just a few listens. I don't mind this approach as long as each place is interesting and doesn't appear abruptly. But I'm afraid that this song goes to places I quite like as well as others that just underwhelm me. It indeed has some interesting "textures" going on. But overall it's just all over the place and doesn't feel cohesive at all, like without a clear direction. Maybe it will grow on me on relistens, but I can't score it higher than this now. +3/5

(Fluffy Lothario) Fat Freddy’s Drop - Blackbird
So this is some kind of nice mix of reggae with soul. I dunno what to say about it other than I just liked it. Nothing mindblowing, but quite enjoyable - I dig the good vibes here and the short solos. 3.5/5

(Train of Naught) Apocalyptica - Path
A very interesting combination of strings and metal, and it works quite well. I'm not convinced on the guitar sound production - sounds quite weak and doesn't have the best sound to it. The ocassional synths are a nice touch. Overall, it kind of repeats the same theme and makes it fell like it goes nowhere - and the end is too abrupt. So, very good idea, kinda could-be-better execution. 3.5/5

(Tyrias) Caravan Palace - Suzy
For reasons I can't explain, I have a bit of a soft spot for cabaret and swing music, and electro swing is definitely something I want to dig deeper in the future. Although it may not be the most varied song in the round, it does its job very very well - good thing I have one of their albums in the list. 4/5

(BIZKIT) The Aristocrats - Bad Asteroid
This is the kind of stuff that reminds me of LTE - pretty groovy instrumental music that's closer to Jazz Fusion, and shows the great chemistry between the musicians. Overall, although Guthrie kind of dominates the piece, the other guys made some tasty work. Pretty interesting. 4/5

(home) London Grammar - Hey Now
So earlier today I did one listen of this round, and throughout the day I had this song stuck in my head - and that's normally a good sign. At first her voice felt a bit weird since it's a bit unusual to find singers that sing (duh) in a low register most of the time. But I got used to it, and quite like it now for how unique it is. Gorgeous atmosphere, definitely. My only complaint, and with like most of this round's songs, is how short it feels - in my opinion, this track could have been developed a bit more. Other than that, this is excellent. +4/5
Standings
36.5 - Fluffy Lothario xxxxx
+36 - Elite xxxxx
+35 - Bolsters xxxx
+34.5 - home xxxxx
34 - Biskit xxxxx
+33.5 - Train of Naught xxxxx
33.5 - Shadow Ninja 2.0 xxxxx
(33.5 - Symphony)
+32.5 - Parama xxxxx
+32.5 - Evermind xxxxx
+32.5 - senecadawg2 xxxxx
+31.5 - Tyrias xxxxx
31 - 425 xxxxx
31 - splent xxxxx
29.5 - Sneakyblueberry xxxxx
27 - mikemangioy xxxxx
OHBOY, finally the tie in the lead has been broken, and Fluffy claims his crown, but he shall wait until after finals to see if he shall be crowned as the master of my roulette. In the meantime home solidifies his position in the top 5 at #4 with the biskit at the edge of it, with ToN just behind his very feet - a relisten and the round 10 results will determine who will get the precious ticket to THE INSANE EP ROUND IN WHICH YOU WILL ALL SUFFER WITH BAD SCORES. Unless a miracle (and a tragedy) occurs, the rest are unlikely to get a chance, but who knows - this last round is your last shot for 10 of you folks, so make it worth it.

So...

ROUND 10 ROUND 10 ROUND 10 ROUND 10 ROUND 10 ROUND 10

I have decided to wrap this part of the roulette up with a bang: the absolute time limit here is 18:30 mins, and not a single second more unless it's of silence or subtle fadeout. Of course you dont have to send something so long - I'll be equally happy if you submit an awesome 5-min track or a fantastic 17-min epic. You have 48 hours to send from now. Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:06:16 PM by Sacul »

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 9 RESULTS HERE!!!!
« Reply #943 on: March 08, 2016, 09:55:38 PM »
At this point I wonder if you're even trying, mate - I know you have better stuff that would suit my tastes

You don't know shit

ETA: Go Bizkit  :heart
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 9 RESULTS HERE!!!!
« Reply #944 on: March 08, 2016, 10:01:33 PM »
 :'(