Poll

Choose your winner!

Flyffy
Voltsters
homework
Pain of Naught
Elitist
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. UNNECESSARY EPILOGUE  (Read 79564 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Regretting my submissions already.
This is me every round in this roulette.

By the way, Train of Naught you can still send something Karnivool since We Are didn't score very high I think. (If you don't wait too long...  :hat )

I don't know, I have too much shit I want to send to stuff into just 5 free non-list rounds, I'll probably give him a short list after the roulette is over with some shit that didn't make the cutting line.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I'm going to send some unknown and obscure songs in the next few rounds now that I don't have to follow the list. There's only one artist I sent before in the roulettes, and it was only in one roulette and from a different album too.

Sent some piano driven ambient with electronics for R6.

Also I was in that record store today and checked out the price for A Sort of Homecoming and it was around $40. Beautiful work of art or not, I'm not spending that much on Anathema. :P
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
A few notes as a bystander:

The Epic is a really special album and was my favorite album of 2015 by quite the margin. If you're not that into Jazz, don't let the 3 hour run time fool you, because I'd say it's a pretty good introduction to Jazz, since you get many of the different styles of Jazz covered on one album. Whereas if you check out someone like Miles Davis (who is also amazing), you might need to dip your toes in more albums to get the full flavor.

Self vs Self is a decent Pendulum tune but not one of their best. I wouldn't say The Fountain with SW is one of their best either, but they're a really great band that you can have a lot of fun with, and I'd put Hold Your Colour in my top50 albums without hesitating. Immersion was really great too.

Nightswimming is a nice little REM tune, but they have done better IMO. What's weird is that I don't really love any of their albums (they're a bit hit or miss), but some of their hits are so good that it compensates for the weaker ones, in other words a greatest hits/best of might be enough. The Great Beyond is IMO their best, but if we're talking ballads, then Daysleeper is IMO superior to Nightswimming.

The National is an amazing band. Took me a while to get into the vocals, mainly because most indie bands have a singer with a more feminine voice, whereas The National goes for that barritone, and not only does it make them unique, but it does grow on you. I'd say if we're talking just indie rock, there's probably not a better band right now, because their last 4 albums have all been amazing. Might take some time, but definitely give them some more chances. Boxer is usually considered the fan favorite album, but personally I hold High Violet the highest. England, Conversation 16 and Bloodbuzz Ohio are 3 of their best songs IMO.

/just some notes in case you decide on checking out more :)

Offline Tyrias

Complete agreed on the The National comment, i think high violet would be more up your alley, Sacul. It was the album that got me into the National. For me his voice didn't need any getting used to it at all, but I love deep voices in general.

Why didn’t I send something from High Violet then? Well, I needed another list song and that was my best option. Shame on you for not having their best album on your list  :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Self vs Self is a decent Pendulum tune but not one of their best. I wouldn't say The Fountain with SW is one of their best either, but they're a really great band that you can have a lot of fun with, and I'd put Hold Your Colour in my top50 albums without hesitating. Immersion was really great too.
You make some great points. I agree that Self vs. Self isn't their best (though it's one of my favorites for sure), add to that The Fountain probably is one of my least favorites on the album. I'm just always kinda hesitant when sending an artist I've sent before, I don't want to send the same song over and over, and I guess SvS is a better fit for someone like me who is really into the metal side of Pendulum.

I was deciding between this song, Watercolour, Witchcraft and Crush. Witchcraft I've been sending in a couple of other roulettes (some a succes, some a huge failure), but I decided against sending it yet another time. I'm pretty positive Sacul would enjoy these songs more now.

As for Hold Your Colour, let's agree to disagree  :D Tarantula is my party anthem, but that aside, I don't really find the album all that interesting.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i was sent a song from The National in my roulette too and the only thing I remember about it is the singer's voice, which i liked

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I was deciding between this song, Watercolour, Witchcraft and Crush. Witchcraft I've been sending in a couple of other roulettes (some a succes, some a huge failure), but I decided against sending it yet another time. I'm pretty positive Sacul would enjoy these songs more now.

Hahaha I remember how you sent Witchcraft in Chad's roulette qualifiers with disastrous results. :rollin

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I had no idea what I had gotten myself into  :lol never again, I wonder what score I would have gotten if it was a regular round. Honestly the write-up wasn't as bad as I expected it to be though.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I had no idea what I had gotten myself into  :lol never again, I wonder what score I would have gotten if it was a regular round. Honestly the write-up wasn't as bad as I expected it to be though.

Probably 1 because he used the ranking system instead of rating.

But anyway, I guess he was trying to be nice. I always do that when I'm about to eliminate someone.

Speaking of that, your song in my roulette was quite nice. :neverusethis:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
As for Hold Your Colour, let's agree to disagree  :D Tarantula is my party anthem, but that aside, I don't really find the album all that interesting.

Funny enough Tarantula is probably my least favorite on the album by far. :P title-track, Still Grey, Another Planet, Girl in the Fire & Plasticworld is where it's at IMO. :P

Overall I think their discography is really great though. Apart from HYC being my favorite, it really is a toss up between Immersion and In Silico after that. They're both great in different ways.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach

Probably 1 because he used the ranking system instead of rating.

But anyway, I guess he was trying to be nice. I always do that when I'm about to eliminate someone.

Speaking of that, your song in my roulette was quite nice. :neverusethis:
:'(

Funny enough Tarantula is probably my least favorite on the album by far. :P title-track, Still Grey, Another Planet, Girl in the Fire & Plasticworld is where it's at IMO. :P

Overall I think their discography is really great though. Apart from HYC being my favorite, it really is a toss up between Immersion and In Silico after that. They're both great in different ways.
I really like Girl in the Fire too. But In Silico has more standouts for me, I actually thought of The Tempest/Propane Nightmares/Showdown but because of this system where we have to send 5 songs from his list I decided to go with Immersion.

Sorry for the spam Sacul, it's not often that I can talk about Pendulum on a prog-forum.

Offline 425

Props to 425 for actually sending Heaven and Hell. I considered that song for almost every round and each time thought "nah, Sacul won't like it". I know nothing.
Yeah, I wouldn't have picked that personally.

Hey, I didn't expect it to do well either! I just needed one more list entry and don't have many more albums that are on the list, so I decided to give it a shot. Just happy it worked out... this is like the one DTF roulette where something like Heaven and Hell is more of a three-pointer than a slam dunk :lol

And now suddenly there's a world of options open to me... I'm no longer limited by the list...

And I have no idea what to send! :lol
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i apparently sent something off the list anyways, i swear it wasn't on the list before but whatevs i like all 5 of the list songs i did send anyways  :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
I am regretting my submission, but maybe I'll be surprised and Sacul will like it.

You can't  :metal to it so I probably failed
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

I think it works the other way. The only song you can :metal to got me 3+.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus

Well in that case I should get at least a 4.5+ :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i think all 5 of my remaining tracks are  :metal tracks

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach

My most :metal track got a 3+ and my most  :chill track got a 3, so it's gotta be a balance or something. I think Sacul has a scoring schedule where it says "if too :metal, deduct points"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well Pain of Salvation got 4 even though it gets pretty :metal towards the end.

I really want to see how will I score with my recent song. I've got a feeling it can be 4.5+, but it can be 3 too. I dunno.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Sent Converge
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I hope you sent Concubine and Fault & Fracture :2metal:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
wow, i totally missed that pain of salvation had already been sent, though i wasn't really planning to send them anyways  :lol

Offline Tyrias

COONNCUBIIIIIINNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
sent grunge

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
sent some traditional djent
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
sent some traditional djent

"Traditional djent" is definitely an oxymoron.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Well I sent Tuvan throat singing

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well I sent Tuvan throat singing
5/5 would listen again

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Epic is a really special album and was my favorite album of 2015 by quite the margin. If you're not that into Jazz, don't let the 3 hour run time fool you, because I'd say it's a pretty good introduction to Jazz, since you get many of the different styles of Jazz covered on one album. Whereas if you check out someone like Miles Davis (who is also amazing), you might need to dip your toes in more albums to get the full flavor.
Good to know! A friend of mine is in total love with the album, so it will make him happy when I check it  :smiley:

The National is an amazing band. Took me a while to get into the vocals, mainly because most indie bands have a singer with a more feminine voice, whereas The National goes for that barritone, and not only does it make them unique, but it does grow on you. I'd say if we're talking just indie rock, there's probably not a better band right now, because their last 4 albums have all been amazing. Might take some time, but definitely give them some more chances. Boxer is usually considered the fan favorite album, but personally I hold High Violet the highest. England, Conversation 16 and Bloodbuzz Ohio are 3 of their best songs IMO.
Boxer is on the list, so despite Fake Empire not having scored well, I'm gonna end up checking the album anyways :tup

I think Sacul has a scoring schedule where it says "if too :metal , deduct points"
I love :metal , but really bores me when it gets generic in any shape  :P

2 people haven't sent yet...  :police:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
the crowd gathers in anticipation for the ritual shaming of the roulette contestants

the tension in the air is so thick, you could cut it with a EVERYONE SURVIVED RRROOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRR

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Regarding The National, Seneca sent me "Slow Show" from Boxer in my first roulette. Really, really good song.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
So what is it, 15 minutes until the public shaming begins?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
More like now :P

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Let the stoning begin.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

I've checked out The National about three or four times now, and every time I do, I remember nothing six months later. They never even leave enough impression on me that I can remember what they sounded like for me to be able to tell you how much I liked them or didn't like them. Which kind of speaks for itself, IMO.

And the band name has to have something to do with it too. It's possibly the worst band name ever. I can't think of another band name that's so empty of personality and void of resonance.