Poll

Choose your winner!

Flyffy
Voltsters
homework
Pain of Naught
Elitist
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. UNNECESSARY EPILOGUE  (Read 79528 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 5 LISTENING!!!
« Reply #525 on: February 10, 2016, 11:16:14 AM »
I do care :P

And they're necessary, otherwise you'd have jazz along with dadrock and classical music mixed with modern pop on your local record store - it just makes searching a lot easier.

Well apparently that's actually what happens in some Russian record stores.

The last weekend I've been in one looking for the new DT and saw they've got Anathema - A Sort of Homecoming in Metal section.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #526 on: February 10, 2016, 11:20:25 AM »
I hope you bought that little piece of art  ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: February 10, 2016, 11:22:35 AM »
I hope you bought that little piece of art  ;D

I thought of getting it but it was kinda too expensive at the moment. This Friday 12th is a payday though, so I might go for it, especially since I actually wasn't able to get new DT, they said it was out of stock and advised me to come back this weekend.

Anyway, I want the results.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #528 on: February 10, 2016, 11:28:29 AM »

And they're necessary, otherwise you'd have jazz along with dadrock and classical music mixed with modern pop on your local record store - it just makes searching a lot easier.

The last weekend I've been in one looking for the new DT and saw they've got Anathema - A Sort of Homecoming in Metal section.
Here in Holland, Deep Purple is 'Heavy Metal', and I found my Machine Head - Burn My Eyes copy over at 'Pop-Rock'
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: February 10, 2016, 11:37:49 AM »

Here in Holland, Deep Purple is 'Heavy Metal', and I found my Machine Head - Burn My Eyes copy over at 'Pop-Rock'

I actually do remember seeing something like that in Concerto in Amsterdam when I was there last year. I think my friend found David Gilmour's On An Island in Pop. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #530 on: February 10, 2016, 11:41:21 AM »
Yep, Concerto, that's the one  :rollin :rollin
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: February 10, 2016, 12:05:48 PM »
I found a copy of Mike Oldfield's greatest hits under "international rock" but none of his albums on the New Age Section :angry:

Expect results in, say 6-7 hours from this post. I've got shit to do before :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: February 10, 2016, 12:11:06 PM »
6-7 hours? I'm going to sleep now then, and I will already be awake at that time. Working days suck. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #533 on: February 10, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »
:bolsterssoon:

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #534 on: February 10, 2016, 03:38:58 PM »

In some German music stores, or the music section of department stores, hip-hop and soul and R&B all get lumped together under the extremely politically correct genre of Black Music.

Jazz still gets its own section.

Expect results in, say 6-7 hours from this post. I've got shit to do before :P
In 6 or 7 hours, it’ll be Thursday afternoon here.  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: February 10, 2016, 05:12:54 PM »
So you're living in Japan, I guess :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #536 on: February 10, 2016, 05:13:35 PM »
i guessed australia but looking at his profile it's actually new zealand which is basically bootleg australia anyways  :P

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #537 on: February 10, 2016, 05:59:33 PM »
From New Zealand, living in Japan.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #538 on: February 10, 2016, 06:48:10 PM »
6-7 hours is almost up  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: February 10, 2016, 06:48:47 PM »
"almost" is the new "soon".

EDIT: While I'm finishing writeups, some albums added to the list:

• Agnes Obel - Aventine
  • Anna von Hauswolff - The Miraculous (added so I don't forget to check it - band/artist is banned)
  • London Grammar - If You Wait
  • Mahavishnu Orchestra -  Birds of Fire
  • Mahavishnu Orchestra -  The Inner Mounting Flame
  • Ott - Blumenkraft
  • Snarky Puppy - Family Dinner - Volume 1 (added so I don't forget to check it - band/artist is banned)
  • Sonny Sharrock - Black Woman
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:24:51 PM by Sacul »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: February 10, 2016, 09:31:09 PM »
So I'm awake and already at work even, and it's an hour and a half away from my home. You suck at the deadlines. :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 5 RESULTS
« Reply #541 on: February 10, 2016, 09:59:01 PM »
So I'm awake and already at work even, and it's an hour and a half away from my home. You suck at the deadlines. :lol
Oh come on, I've delivered each round in less than a week, and with 15 players, I think that's pretty cool - a couple of hours won't hurt  :loser:

So I was right - this round was pretty weak overall. While nothing was as low as in the previous round, nothing surpassed the +4 now. So...

(splent) Fleetwood Mac - You Make Loving Fun
Seems like you're pretty fond of this album... sorry :lol . This music is nice, but not my cuppa tea, really. Good thing I didn't pay attention to lyrics too :P 3/5

(Shadow Ninja 2.0) Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Red Right Hand
I realize the focus of this song is on the textures and the atmosphere, not much on the songwriting. And... I'm not blown away by those sounds nor by Nick's voice. This song is just ok. Nothing remarkable. 3/5

(home) R.E.M. - Nightswimming
This is a nice little ballad. But just that. It feel quite one-dimensional overall, despite the appearance of other lovely instruments here and there. And I don't really like the piano sound, feels like a cheap synth imo - I prefer real pianos by a long shot. Nothing too special here. 3/5

(Train of Naught) Pendulum - Self vs. Self
So this is like Drum & Bass metal or something? It's a pretty interesting combination, this of guitars and heavy electronics - in fact, I've been looking for music like that for quite some time, and besides NIN, my fav album is Antihero by Zardonic (check the song Vigilante and you'll have a blast). Sadly, this song feels pretty generic on its melodies, and one-dimensional on its songwriting. Being honest with you, I prefer the track with Steven Wilson. +3/5

(Tyrias) The National - Fake Empire
This song starts a bit unimpressive, and, honestly, I'm not a fan of this guy's voice. But it slowly grows and grows, getting a bit better each minute. I really like those happy trumpets. And it ends before it could get any better, wtf. +3/5

(senecadawg2) Asia - Wildest Dreams
Seems like these guys were HUGE back in the day, and added them to the list just out of curiosity. Well, I'm not disappointed, but that's because I didn't have any expectations. Better that way, because this track does very little to me. As in most cases, it's not because there are things that I dislike, but rather the lack of remarkable stuff. This is just ok. +3/5

(sneakyblueberry) The Cardigans - Marvel Hill
I've got to admit the beginning of this song is a bit unusual, and weird. Good that female vocals appear soon. The atmosphere of this song is a bit strange, and I don't know if that thing on the left channel is a guitar or a distorted synth. My favorite part is around the third minute, with those nice mellotrons (at least they sound like mellotrons) on the background. While it's a nice tune, it didn't resonate much with me. +3/5

(mikemangioy) CAPAREZZA - ARGENTI VIVE
I'll give you that this song has a pretty creative combination of styles - metal almost djent, electronic music and Italian rap. Yet that alone doesn't save it, because after a few listen the novelty fades away, and I'm with a song that, despite its premise, isn't really original on its melodies, and in that sense, it's kind of generic. Nice track anyways, Mr Spaghetti. +3/5

(Fluffy Lothario) Ryan Adams - Easy Plateau
This sounds like it was written like 40 years ago, but with modern production. It's a pretty relaxing song, and I like the atmosphere. Nothing bad about sounding retro, honestly - sometimes I prefer it that way :lol Overall the instrumentation is pretty good, but I feel the vocal melodies are a bit unmemorable. Overall, a nice song. Nothing bad, but nothing too special imo. 3.5/5

(Bolsters) Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell
The intro of this, specially the guitars, reminds me heavily of Boston, a band I somehow like quite a bit. Well, their debut at least :lol
Whe I first saw the cover, expected a fucking epic metal tune or something in that vein, until I saw the release date lol. Overall this is a pretty nice, fun song - these guys were having lots of fun while recording it. For some reason I should have like this more tho - maybe it's too long? 3.5/5

(Elite) Thank You Scientist - My Famed Disappearing Act
Parama won't like that you sent this before him :lol A pretty interesting combination of prog metal with trumpets. I quite liked it. Dunno what else to say, honestly. +3.5/5

(425) Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Well I certainly see why people think this album is the shit - Dio and Sabbath is definitely a killer combination. And honestly, this track rocks. I kinda wished the guitars were more upfront in the mix, but I know that's more of a modern thing. Still, a pretty badass tune. 4/5

(Evermind) Roger Waters - It's a Miracle (Live)
Good thing that lyrics don't affect my perception of music most of the time, because the lyrics are quite hypocrite here, coming from Roger Water$, but whatever :lol
The instrumentation is really nice and atmospheric, and makes me realize how much he has contributed to the Pink Floyd sound I love. And that may not be Gilmour, but the guitar solo is excellent. My only complain is that it feels a bit too long. 4/5

(FlyingBIZKIT) Kamasi Washington - The Rhythm Changes
My problem with jazz is how meandering it all feels. I know most jazz is basically jamming, but I wished it was more... focused? That it had a clear direction. I normally don't mind songs that go many places (hell, some of my favorites like Where is Now? and most of BTBAM's Colors is like that), but it feels justified to me only if each part is amazing on its own.

So, to this song. As you said, it doesn't feel quite meandering, as you said. It feels like there are some ideas that are played several times throughout the track, and that gives it cohesion and structure. The solos are really nice, and I enjoy the inclusion of female vocals. I'm sure this 3-hour-long album lives up to its name. 4/5

(Parama) Saor - Farewell
Black metal is, along with shoegaze, one of those genres I can't stand on its "purest" form, only when it's combined with other kinds of music. And while this song isn't really blackgaze, it's a pretty interesting tune. I love the atmosphere here, and kinda wished it had better production, so I could listen better to the folk instrumentation. The flute along with the clean vocals is just beautiful. Nice violin breakdown on the middle. Surprising how, despite its length, it doesn't feel like dragging. I enjoyed it more than expected. +4/5

Standings
20.5 - Fluffy Lothario xxxxx
+20 - Elite xxxx
+20 - Parama xxxxx
+19.5 - Shadow Ninja 2.0 xxxx
+19.5 - Biskit xxxx
+19 - Bolsters xxxx
(19 - Symphony)
+18.5 - Tyrias xxxxx
+18.5 - Evermind xxxxx
18.5 - splent xxxx
+18 - home xxx
+18 - 425 xxxxx
18 - Train of Naught xxx
+17.5 - senecadawg2 xxx
16.5 - Sneakyblueberry xxxx
+15 - mikemangioy xxx

(x= one song sent from the list)
Despite his first dud, Fluffy still keeps the lead, but should keep an eye on Elite, who is pretty close and with a few good rounds, could steal that precious spot. In the meantime, with 3 ties there are, eh, 8 players in the top 5, so any of them can reach finals! To the rest of you... good luck :lol

Some of you have already completed the obligatory 5 list songs, and are now free to send whatever you want, from the list or not. While it isn't banned, of course. And that reminds me...

PLEASE READ THIS!!!

I've decided to change one of the roulette's rules, and that is that any album with a rating of 3.5/5 on the list or on Sputnik, makes the artist/band BANNED. Before it was a minimum of 3/5, but I realize it makes no sense so I'm putting the standard a bit higher now. This makes some groups like My Bloody Valentine or Boards of Canada eligible for submission, but not from the albums that are rated ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:24:17 PM by Sacul »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 5 RESULTS
« Reply #542 on: February 10, 2016, 10:03:01 PM »
(Bolsters) Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell
For some reason I should have like this more tho
I agree. :laugh:

I'll send something later tonight.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I hope it's not another roulette championship entry :neverusethis:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Props to 425 for actually sending Heaven and Hell. I considered that song for almost every round and each time thought "nah, Sacul won't like it". I know nothing.

But hey, I'm fine with getting 4/5 as long as the others keep screwing up.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I hope it's not another roulette championship entry :neverusethis:
There's no chance of anything else on my list turning up in there.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
sent

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
tbh i wasn't planning to send TYS to you anyways so irdc
i scored highest of the round anyways so i can't complain
and i do agree that i wish that song (and album) had better production, it's a little too weak for me to really get into it but the music is so gorgeous that i enjoy it a lot anyways

now to start sending stuff not on ye olde list

edit: I sent. east of the wall. yeah, i'm getting serious now. 1+/5
edit2: i just looked on the list again and since when is The Apologist on the list. ok. good. you get a 6th song from the list.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:49:03 PM by Parama »

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Props to 425 for actually sending Heaven and Hell. I considered that song for almost every round and each time thought "nah, Sacul won't like it". I know nothing.
Yeah, I wouldn't have picked that personally.

Not to mention Red Right Hand being second to last.

Despite his first dud, Fluffy still keeps the lead
If 3.5/5 is a dud, I can live with it.  :lol

Also,
(Fluffy Lothario) Ryan Adams AND THE CARDINALS - Easy Plateau
When this band formed, Adams wanted to drop his name altogether and for the band to just be The Cardinals. His record label wouldn't let him.

Oh, and lastly, like I said earlier in the thread,
After those first 5 rounds, the deluge.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Sent some nu- :metal

I doubt I'll make it to the finals so I really really just want to get on with my own songs instead of the list  >:(

How much shit have you been adding to the list since the last round? I'm suddenly finding like 3 amazing albums on here that I was going to send anyway  :-X could've stopped me from sending Blue Öyster Cult.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:50:12 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I like the restrictions of this list.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tyrias

You're obviously wrong about Matt Berningers voice because it's amazing, but I'm glad to have the list restriction behind me. I probably would have sent something from another album by The National if it weren't for your list.

Now, let's get crazy. At this point I don't even care anymore if I'll win or not, I'll just send something I love and hope you love it as well.

For this one, I'll send you a pretty epic song that's kind of classical music, if you added electronic elements, a huge choir, some voice samples and a guitar. Try not to listen to what the guy is saying if you think esoteric stuff is bullshit, and focus on the music (or just accept the cheesy narration for being kind of fitting with the song :P). Despite me not being esoteric at all, this is my favourite song I discovered last year.

Also, the song is slightly longer than 10 minutes (10:07 to be exact), hope that's not a problem :P.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I had a song rejected because it crossed the 10-minute mark, so I wouldn't count on it :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Tyrias

Length limit: 10 mins, and up 30 extra seconds, but no more unless specified.

Well, that's what it says in the OP, so I guess it should be fine :P.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Mine was 10:49
Squ

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Well fuck.

At least I'm still in it. I know what artist I am sending. Just need to pick the song.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Well I tried to send something freaking different this time.  :lol
I'll think what to send and will do that :soon:
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
I wouldn't have given night swimming a much higher score either tbh, it's (hopefully) the weakest of the list songs.
Sent some sort of progressive glam rock with flamenco guitar.

By the way, Train of Naught you can still send something Karnivool since We Are didn't score very high I think. (If you don't wait too long...  :hat )
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Regretting my submissions already.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Don't remember you sent more than one song  :P