Poll

Choose your winner!

Flyffy
Voltsters
homework
Pain of Naught
Elitist
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. UNNECESSARY EPILOGUE  (Read 79478 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Dang, the newcomer knows his shit. When LordCost sent me Rishloo I was sure you'd like it too, though I heard that song and I think you'll like Landmines even more.

I'm fine with a +3.5, the ending always leaves me wanting more as well.

Also yea I knew mike sent Native Construct, eexpected the song 'Mute' though  :lol

I'll send R2 today.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

Once is an album by Nightwish. There's no title track on it.

Also, Iter Impius isn't a closer.

What does "+4" mean? Not quite 4,5 but not 4 either? If I get, say, +4 three times, will my score be +++12? :lol

Yeah, the song I sent was Higher Than Hope. I'm reasonably happy with that result.
Also, i remember the last final against Evermind, where I literally decided between The Canyon Behind Her and Iter Impius, then went with the former. I also remember you saying you didn't like Iter Impius that much. Anyway, it's quite curious that Evermind nows sends that song in the first round of your next roulette :lol

Also, I'm trying to decide if i should send that Orchestral Dubstep song i've been itching to send in a roulette or if it's too cheesy for you.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Ugh, I expected just a little more.
I'll send soon!
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
what if the new guys were really just Lucas, and that was his vendetta against us all along.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
So, Sacul, I've read the OP and honestly I still kinda don't get it. :lol

You wrote:

Scoring out of 5, and in case I need half a point, a plus (+) will be added.

But seeing how both +4 and 4.5 scores exist and they're clearly different scores, what you wrote in the OP is confusing - because, well, if you add half a point to 4 you'll get 4.5, not some kind of plus.

I can only assume +4 equals 4.25. Therefore, if I get +4 two times, my score will add up to 8.5?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Yea I think the + is a .25 point as well.

Sent some Glitch-Hop  :metal :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

There were certain artists that I had noted to myself specifically because I was almost certain they'd be gone in the first few rounds. I was right on Jeff Buckley and Damien Rice.

(Elite) Jeff Buckley - So Real
Well this is not what I expected. For some reason I thought this guy made more straightforward folk music or something lol. This song is a bit weird, atonal at times, and pretty dark imo. Yet it doesn't appeal me that much. The guitar work and the drumming reminds me a bit of Slint and the vocal melodies to Mr Bungle, for some reason. In general these are some strange melodies. So none of the quotes you chose were yours, sorry - maybe we have different definitions of intimate music? This felt a bit creepy lol. But anyways, I'll end up checking this album. +3/5
Some of his tracks are basically just unaccompanied folk, only on an electric guitar. Otherwise, his guitar playing feels folk-informed a lot of the time, to put it vaguely. So Real is IMO the worst song on the album. He wrote it at the last minute because he decided one song he had intended to put on the album was too personal and painful, and pulled it, and he felt he needed something else to complete the album. It's stil great, but almost every other track looms over it.

On Damien Rice: when you said we can't send live material, I wrote off sending him there and then. I've listened to his music semi-constantly since he first appeared, and almost never touched his studio albums. His live performances tear strips off of them, and there's plenty of good ones out there.

(Fluffy Lothario) The Stooges - Fun House
What the hell :lol

Dunno what's going on here, but this is a hella lot of fun - dat sax is awesome. And the singer, the mighty punk godfather Iggy Pop, bro, he's insane. I dig this one quite a lot, yet my complaint is that on the second half he does some weird noises/screams that turn me off a bit. But otherwise, this is excellent. Don't have much to say really, just that I quite enjoyed it. 4/5
His vocals in the second half of the track are definitely the most extreme on the album, but it's still the best song on there, so I went with that.

The entire album is awesome though, and doubly mindblowing when you consider it came out in 1970. Punk didn't even exist for another six years. I've actually had trouble getting into the classic punk albums since I started looking into the albums that get dubbed proto-punk, as proto-punk is infinitely more interesting, and often rocks harder anyway.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
So, Sacul, I've read the OP and honestly I still kinda don't get it. :lol

You wrote:

Scoring out of 5, and in case I need half a point, a plus (+) will be added.

But seeing how both +4 and 4.5 scores exist and they're clearly different scores, what you wrote in the OP is confusing - because, well, if you add half a point to 4 you'll get 4.5, not some kind of plus.

I can only assume +4 equals 4.25. Therefore, if I get +4 two times, my score will add up to 8.5?
Well it wouldn't be controversial if he explained everything.

Also, I forgot to mention when sending my song - if you have a sound system with a subwoofer, I recommend listening to my song on that at least once so you know what's going on in the low end. Or some speakers that can pump out a decent amount of bass, at least. I think the bass enhances my song a great deal and headphones won't do it justice.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
I am glad you liked the song I sent! The next one is a bit more a gamble (it's not from your list btw). Sacul, have you ever listened to other Albums from Rishloo? You only have their newest album on your list but I would say both Feathergun and Eidolon are better albums.

When LordCost sent me Rishloo I was sure you'd like it too, though I heard that song and I think you'll like Landmines even more.
Landmines is a great song too  :azn: I was actually hesitating between sending that one and Just A Ride.

what if the new guys were really just Lucas, and that was his vendetta against us all along.
:justjen
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
So Real is IMO the worst song on the album.

:lol that's hilarious.

He wrote it at the last minute because he decided one song he had intended to put on the album was too personal and painful, and pulled it, and he felt he needed something else to complete the album.

I did not know that though.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
 Off to a good start… :-).

I'll send round two later today. I'm trying to decide between two songs on the same album.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Wish Upon A Blackstar is better than End of an Empire, same as with Compass and whatever other albums Assemblage 23 has.

Will send soon.

sent
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:52:25 AM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Fluffy Lothario

He wrote it at the last minute because he decided one song he had intended to put on the album was too personal and painful, and pulled it, and he felt he needed something else to complete the album.
He wrote it to replace Forget Her, which is now included as Track 11 / a bonus track of sorts in modern pressings of the album anyway.

I did not know that though.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Yes, and yes. I realise it wasn't too clear on the OP, so I've fixed it  :tup .

On Damien Rice: when you said we can't send live material, I wrote off sending him there and then. I've listened to his music semi-constantly since he first appeared, and almost never touched his studio albums. His live performances tear strips off of them, and there's plenty of good ones out there.
Oh, I'm aware some artists are way better live than in studio, so let me reconsider the rule about sending live material for a few days  :smiley:

The entire album is awesome though, and doubly mindblowing when you consider it came out in 1970. Punk didn't even exist for another six years. I've actually had trouble getting into the classic punk albums since I started looking into the albums that get dubbed proto-punk, as proto-punk is infinitely more interesting, and often rocks harder anyway.
Sounds excellent! Will explore a bit of this proto-punk thing after the roulette is over, seems up my alley :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
So, another question: is Nightwish now banned or I can send something from Imaginaerum, as this album is on your list too?

Oh, and also, sending shortly. You have that album on the list I know of, but the thing is, it has seven tracks, two of them are intros under 2 minutes long, three of them are 5 minutes long and the best two tracks are 11:48 and 10:32. :lol Just need to decide if I should pick another album or send a 5 minutes long song.

Yes, and yes. I realise it wasn't too clear on the OP, so I've fixed it  :tup .

Cool, thank you for clearing that up. Not that I've got a + myself anyway.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
So, another question: is Nightwish now banned or I can send something from Imaginaerum, as this album is on your list too?

Oh, and also, sending shortly. You have that album on the list I know of, but the thing is, it has seven tracks, two of them are intros under 2 minutes long, three of them are 5 minutes long and the best two tracks are 11:48 and 10:32. :lol Just need to decide if I should pick another album or send a 5 minutes long song.
I knew I forgot a rule about that :lol Updated the second post with that info.

Well, if the 10:32 song has like 2 seconds of silence or the like, then you can send it. But make sure it's worth it :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

I knew I forgot a rule about that :lol Updated the second post with that info.

Well, if the 10:32 song has like 2 seconds of silence or the like, then you can send it. But make sure it's worth it :P

Got it.

Settled on the 4:30 one. Ten minutes of samples might be too much. Sent!

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Regarding roulette bans:
Every artist/band sent on the roulette whose song has received a 3.5 or more, is banned.

Is this for both your first and current Roulette? Just noticed that I should send a new song if it's also for your first roulette :p
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Regarding roulette bans:
Every artist/band sent on the roulette whose song has received a 3.5 or more, is banned.

Is this for both your first and current Roulette? Just noticed that I should send a new song if it's also for your first roulette :p

I don't think it applies for his first. I was able to send Pain of Salvation again, and they got 3.5 last time.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
What Ev said. Most of the bands that scored quite well on my past roulette are on the banned list, and you're fine home, I haven't explored much by them so don't worry :P

Offline 425

Tyrias, I actually very seriously considered sending Higher Than Hope! :lol I figured if there was a chance of getting Sacul to like a Nightwish song, that would probably be the best one to go with.

Always happy to get a good score for Midnight, and it makes me very happy when people like it. :tup Still on the quest to find that one person who will give it that perfect score, though...

Will send :soon:
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Tyrias

Tyrias, I actually very seriously considered sending Higher Than Hope! :lol I figured if there was a chance of getting Sacul to like a Nightwish song, that would probably be the best one to go with.

Always happy to get a good score for Midnight, and it makes me very happy when people like it. :tup Still on the quest to find that one person who will give it that perfect score, though...

Will send :soon:

Yeah, I would have considered meadows of heaven as well, but DPP wasn’t on his list. Anyway, sent for the next round. Some folk this time, not Power Metal.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Almost 24 hours after results and I already have 13 submissions  :o

I've listened to everything at least twice now, and I've gotta say, I'm loving the variety of these tracks  :metal

Will post sneak-peek when I get them all.

EDIT: Added a Spotify playlist with round 1 entries. If anyone wants to make a YT one, just do it and PM me the link :P

Also, added bands/artists that are available for re-entry on the second post.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:16:30 PM by Sacul »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Oh cool, so I still could've sent Native Construct this round if I wanted to  :laugh: I'm still pretty confident that Come Hell or High Water will be your least favorite song from that album but it's still risky.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Sent some funky latin djent
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Everybody's in! I'll post some sneak-peeks later, but in the meantime, this is a list of albums I have added to the list:

• Asobi Seksu - Citrus
  • Death in vegas - Contino Sessions
  • Death in vegas - Dead Elvis
  • Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...
  • Julia holter - have you in my wilderness
  • múm - finally we are no one
  • Sharon Van Etten - are we there
  • Sharon Van Etten - Tramp

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh cool, so I still could've sent Native Construct this round if I wanted to  :laugh:
Yeah, but wouldn't have counted as a "sent from list" entry :P

Added this info to the second post, btw.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND TWO LISTENING!!!
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2016, 07:26:42 PM »
Hey I can send múm yay

unless somebody else does

does anybody else listen to múm

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2016, 07:32:40 PM »
i have that specific album because you sent me a song off it

and it's great

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2016, 07:48:15 PM »
I've never heard of any of those artists.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2016, 07:56:06 PM »
Hey I can send múm yay
They were already on the list, but with a different album. Now they both are.

I've never heard of any of those artists.
Well Julia Holter makes Art/Chamber Pop, so it seems up my alley, and maybe yours :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2016, 07:57:28 PM »
that julia hotler album was pretty highly regarded from what i've seen but i haven't checked it out. too busy listening to garbage :neverusethis:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Interesting, two people sent the same band, and album but different tunes. I'll just leave these here, by the way:

...added their [album] to the list because one of its songs was pretty good, and creative. This, on the other hand... sounds a bit generic.

Oh, the [decade]. Strange and fascinating times.

Mmnn this is pretty nice I guess.

Now I regret not exploring more of these guys' music - this one is pretty good, specially the piano work.

Those distant vocals with reverb, man... I fucking love those. It's a bit of a fetish.

I like this, is pretty chill. Dunno what genre this is, but I like what I hear.

Well this is pretty good actually, but I feel I've listened to better songs on this style, like most of what [artist] does is better than this.

More Power Metal?

Well this is nice and catchy. I prefer the other song by them lol

I don't know what's going on here, but damn, the feels are strong.

...but the instrumentation is wonderful, so beautiful, vivid and innocent - yes.

This has some great [instrument] work, but man... his voice. Just... no.

Nigga pls.

Well this one definitely goes many places, and has some excellent parts, but a few meh ones.

No problem with this one, I like these sounds and rhythms, but... it just goes nowhere.

Well, definitely the best out of the two I received. Really like the atmosphere of this track, even though it's a bit of an unusual one for this kind of music, I dig it.

I may actually get into there guy's music, for it seems their last album is up my alley.

Oh, and there are two fake tidbits here. Good luck!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Those distant vocals with reverb, man... I fucking love those. It's a bit of a fetish.

nailed it

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I suck at picking out my song's tidbits.