Author Topic: Your concerts for 2016  (Read 19084 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Your concerts for 2016
« Reply #210 on: October 12, 2016, 05:19:31 AM »
Nice! I might even go alone if my friend decides not to join (he hasnt heard the music yet but trusts my instincts :P). Still want to just try out going to a concert on my own once in my life to experience what it is like, I imagine maybe being more focused on the music itself but I would still probably prefer going with friends.

Just got a confirmation that I'll be working at the Devin Townsend/BTBAM/Leprous gig in March at Melkweg, it's a volunteering job but regardless, I'm pretty psyched to be working backstage to see what goes on in the whole preparation process. Would be awesome if I got the chance to meet some of the guys there but I'm not holding my breath.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #211 on: October 12, 2016, 05:42:19 AM »
I think I'm done for this year:

17.03.2016 - Dream Theater (Milan)
29.09.2016 - David Gilmour (London)
Not bad choices (though I'm not a big TA fan)! :tup

My list so far:

Feb 11: Steven Wilson
Apr 13: Thunderstone, Dakesis
Apr 21: Von Hertzen Brothers
Jul 7: Monsters of Rock (Black Sabbath, Opeth, Rival Sons, Amorphis)
Aug 27: Amorphis

Coming up:

Oct 31: Uli Jon Roth
Nov 1: Katatonia, Agent Fresco, VOLA
Nov 17: Blues Pills
Nov 18: SARA
Nov 19: Stratovarius, Thunderstone
Nov 28: Killing Joke
Dec 8: CMX

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2016, 05:42:59 AM »
2 days until Queensryche  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2016, 10:26:11 PM »

Interested in your review!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: October 13, 2016, 08:51:24 AM »

Interested in your review!!

If you see the whole show, the opener touring with them Midnight Eternal is a local band to NJ/NYC.  Their singer friended me on facebook awhile ago because she was trying to promote her band who opened for Kamelot and I checked into the show on facebook or something.  Either way, it worked in that I accepted her friendship and see what they are up to and while I don't like their music, I'm curious to see how they do on their first major tour.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #215 on: October 25, 2016, 06:46:56 AM »
God Is An Astronaut was awesome, unique experience and I'd go again in the snap of a finger, totally different environment compared to all the other concerts I've been to in my life, moving on:

Anyway update time, I'm probably seeing Alcest + MONO in November but we're not entirely sure yet, haven't bought tickets yet either.

I finally pulled through with this! Seeing Alcest and MONO (+ pg.lost) on the 19th of November :metal

Aaand I got tickets to see Russkaja the day after Alter Bridge. So I have something to look forward to as these are literally the first 2 days after my last exam of this term.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:32:09 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #216 on: November 01, 2016, 08:56:29 PM »
Seeing Ghost for the second time this year in Raleigh next Monday  :metal

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2016, 09:00:23 PM »

When I saw this post, for some reason I thought it was the Devin Townsend thread, and I was like "WUHHHH HE'S PLAYING GHOST AGAIN?!?!"

Now I'm all sad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2016, 11:33:09 AM »

When I saw this post, for some reason I thought it was the Devin Townsend thread, and I was like "WUHHHH HE'S PLAYING GHOST AGAIN?!?!"

Now I'm all sad.

:lol I wish he'd do something like By a Thread here in the states.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2016, 03:24:12 PM »
Just purchased my first tickets for next year... more ska!  Reel Big Fish performing the entire Turn the Radio Off album, which was a huge favorite of mine growing up.  It's a 20 year anniversary of the album.. boy does that make me feel old.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2016, 03:44:24 PM »
Just purchased my first tickets for next year... more ska!  Reel Big Fish performing the entire Turn the Radio Off album, which was a huge favorite of mine growing up.  It's a 20 year anniversary of the album.. boy does that make me feel old.

Yep, that makes me feel old too  :yeahright cracking album. The soundtrack to MANY a party. I think RBF still hold the record for band I've seen live most.

Can't remember if I mentioned on here, but I'm going to see Bullet for my Valentine and Killswitch Engage with a few buddys in a couple of weeks. Should be fun.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2016, 04:29:05 PM »
seeing The Ocean tonight, should be fun

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2016, 04:56:53 PM »
....You want to keep your soul

Above The Ocean floor

But there's far too many waves to try

Far too many ways to die....

Yea, I'm pretty jealous..

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2016, 08:10:48 PM »
they're playing the Kyuss song I complained about being too long at the venue pre-show rn

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: November 04, 2016, 08:20:08 AM »
Going to see Opeth tomorrow and it was just announced that Myrkur will be the support.

Had not listened before so I went to Spotify and was blown away... wow... this is a great match for Opeth. Really interresting

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2016, 08:55:18 PM »
Just picked up tix for Pink Martini, an orchestral jazz ensemble, for the end of the month for my girl's bday. Not metal, I know, but at the price I paid it counts.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #226 on: November 05, 2016, 05:44:37 AM »
Yesterday I bought tickets for Russian Circles + Helen Money. It was pretty cheap and venue is 10 minutes walking from my dorm :)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #227 on: November 12, 2016, 04:22:56 AM »
Just saw Russkaja and Alter Bridge yesterday and the day before respectively.

Alter Bridge was awesome. I went with people I didn't really know that well so I guess it would've been even better if I went with more familiar people, but it didn't keep us from singing along with Blackbird at the top or our lungs together. :metal The biggest surprise for me was them playing Slip to the Void, from what they said beforehand I understand that they hadn't played that song in a long time and it's one of my personal favorites. Mark Tremonti has this incomparable badass live attitude that I kind of caught with youtube videos, but it's even better live.

Some comments about the setlist: My Champion and Poison in your Veins were total buzzkills for me, and according to the audience I wasn't alone in that. I don't know, these songs just don't grab me at all. The rest of the new songs they played were totally killer though, bar You Will Be Remembered which was just great.

Russkaja, wow. Never been to anything close to a ska concert but this was one of the most events I've ever attended. Comparing to Alter Bridge which was just beautiful music by a band I really like, singing along and headbanging occasionally, this was just complete insanity. Went with a group of 20 people and as soon as we entered there was just this crazy happy vibe, the venue is rather small and the show wasn't even sold out, so we had some space to create a huge circle and during the intermission everyone was just happily dancing around in the circle and stuff. It was probably the most tiring concert I've ever been to as, from the second they came up, everyone was jumping around the entire time and crowdsurfing continuously. It's just so different than your average concert. There are moshpits and circle pits - kind of - but they are so much happier and no one is doing each other any harm. I kept thinking wow, this is the best crowd ever, but come to think of it, all concerts of this kind probably have crowds like this. I will definitely be going to more shows like this, what an awesome experience.

Oh and I caught the towel of their singer, I'm not sure if I should be prowd of that or disgusted by it, but hey I'll take it

I guess these concerts are not comparable, they're so different. Alter Bridge was great in a more emotional/magical sense, I got to see one of my all-time favorite songs live and I'm still perplexed. And Russkaja was just the most fun I've ever had at a live show, floored. My next concert is Alcest on the 20th, after that I don't have anything planned for a long time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2016, 07:04:30 AM »
Ska concerts are so much fun for all the reasons you listed. It's just a fun vibe from the music and everyone is just happy and looking to dance and have fun.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #229 on: November 12, 2016, 07:09:01 AM »
I snuck Dream Theater in under the wire last week, otherwise 2016 would have been the first year, since I started going to concerts, where I didn't go to any.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #230 on: November 16, 2016, 05:22:21 AM »
Gojira just announced a headlining tour for Europe, insta-buy! Seeing Gojira the 26th of March in Utrecht :metal :metal :metal :metal

EDIT: Just realized this belongs in a "Your concerts for 2017" thread. Since there is no such thing I'll keep the updates in here right now

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #231 on: November 16, 2016, 05:42:55 AM »
Gojira just announced a headlining tour for Europe, insta-buy! Seeing Gojira the 26th of March in Utrecht :metal :metal :metal :metal

EDIT: Just realized this belongs in a "Your concerts for 2017" thread. Since there is no such thing I'll keep the updates in here right now
I hate you right now (but not really). Also, Dream theater announced 2017 Images&Words anniversary tour and they are in NL if you're interested.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #232 on: November 16, 2016, 05:53:02 AM »
Yeah I saw it. Not really interested in paying that amount of money for DT to be honest. I think it's ridiculous that their ticket prices are as high as the likes of Iron Maiden for instance, and more expensive than Alter Bridge. Maybe this means I will never be seeing DT live but I am okay with that, it is not a band I am dying to see live anyway. Most bands I want to see live just as much or even more are 3 or 4 times as cheap.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #233 on: November 16, 2016, 06:08:21 AM »
How expensive is it?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: November 21, 2016, 12:49:33 PM »
Saw Less Than Jake last night, they performed all of Losing Streak which was the album that got me into them 20 years ago.  I thought they were great, venue was very small and I believe sold out so it was packed, but lots of fun.  A few real douchebags in the pit that made it less enjoyable though.

My clips from the show:
https://youtu.be/56e4GT_1GFM

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #235 on: November 21, 2016, 01:06:42 PM »
Saw Less Than Jake last night, they performed all of Losing Streak which was the album that got me into them 20 years ago.  I thought they were great, venue was very small and I believe sold out so it was packed, but lots of fun.  A few real douchebags in the pit that made it less enjoyable though.

My clips from the show:
https://youtu.be/56e4GT_1GFM

They were great when I saw them about 6 weeks ago.

This was the taken on the night https://m.youtube.com/watch?debug_prerolls=false&sts=17121&v=TlUPleCkT0I&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTlUPleCkT0I%26itct%3DCAwQpDAYBiITCLGw8KLSutACFUrXFgod8-kB-zIGcmVsbWZ1SPLr16We6-u8uwE%253D&has_verified=1&client=mv-google&layout=mobile

I can be seen crowd surfing at 1:48 too :lol