Author Topic: Mogwai-Anyone else familiar?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Mogwai-Anyone else familiar?
« on: January 07, 2016, 09:08:20 PM »
I was recommended this band by a guy at work who likes instrumental music. I just listened to their soundtrack album Les Revenants and was blown away by how they make these catchy pieces of music with so few notes--it's simply beautiful.

I was curious if anyone else had heard of this band? If not, I highly recommend checking them out, even though I've only heard one full album and bits and pieces of another. I'm excited to dig deeper into this band

Relative Hysteria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnUtxZFEo1E
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: Mogwai-Anyone else familiar?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 09:15:05 PM »
I haven't kept up with them as much recently, but both Young Team and Happy Songs for Happy People are most excellent.  My favorites are Mogwai Fear Satan (from YT) and Ratts of the Capital (from HSfHP).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 09:35:47 AM »
I haven't kept up with them as much recently, but both Young Team and Happy Songs for Happy People are most excellent.  My favorites are Mogwai Fear Satan (from YT) and Ratts of the Capital (from HSfHP).
I've listened to a few tracks from Happy Songs for Happy People and really enjoyed it. I've always liked God Is An Astronaut, so Mogwai fit in nicely with that interest
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 10:23:26 AM »
In their heyday - i used to read they played so loud their ears would bleed on stage.

Enjoy that screaming tinnitus forever, chaps ! :)

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 07:36:48 PM »
There's a strong lack of appreciation for this music here. They're awesome, I've seen them a couple of times live and indeed they're loud as balls, this type of bands can create a truly big atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Juilrg6oQ
Ringo is one of my top 5 Beatles.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 09:11:26 PM »
Just recently got into these guys (as well as God Is An Astronaut, who I absolutely love) thanks to Spotify.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 09:39:37 PM »
One of the first bands I discovered in the post rock genre some ten years ago (fuck I'm old). Young Team is my favorite album of theirs but they always turn out w few great songs per album release.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 02:00:23 AM »
Come On Die Young (CODY) is my favourite of theirs, one of the quintessential post-rock bands, imo

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 02:36:29 AM »
Come On Die Young (CODY) is my favourite of theirs, one of the quintessential post-rock bands, imo

Exactly that, great album. Like Reap said, one of the first Post-Rock bands I checked out (together with GYBE and Sigur Ros). Visited Glasgow a couple of months ago, and bought their new best of as a result of that. Hadn't checked them out in a while, but seeing where they come from made me revisiting their music.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 04:22:03 PM »
Have four or five albums which I really like but I don't know much about the band.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »
I just posted in the '2018 concerts' thread. I have the opportunity to go see Mogwai tomorrow. I quite liked their latest album but I've not really listened to anything else.

They have quite a back catalogue bit I'm not sure where to start. Which are their best albums (Like, general consensus, if there is such a thing).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »
I just posted in the '2018 concerts' thread. I have the opportunity to go see Mogwai tomorrow. I quite liked their latest album but I've not really listened to anything else.

They have quite a back catalogue bit I'm not sure where to start. Which are their best albums (Like, general consensus, if there is such a thing).

Young Team is considered the best and for good reason - a classic of the genre. Come On Die Young and Happy Songs For Happy People are both really great as well, but I would also highly recommend their live album Special Moves which has bits and pieces from different albums and is almost like a nice greatest hits.

Otherwise I have to mention the criminally overlooked song "Music For A Forgotten Future (The Singing Mountain)", a 20 minute song which was a b-side on Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will. Not just one of my favorite Mogwai songs but one of my favorite Post-Rock songs period. They have another song in a similar situation, 20-minute behemoth "My Father, My King" which was released on an EP but often forgotten (cause people tend to check the albums) but just a masterpiece.

I always felt like Mogwai deserved more praise in modern discussions of Post-Rock. They are often not talked about as much as GYBE or Sigur Rós, and while I think a main problem is their albums as a whole have rarely reached those levels, they have some mindblowingly amazing songs. Haven't cared much for their last few albums - they're all good/decent, but kinda samey and safe. However, you can go through their albums and find some amazing songs on all of them.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 05:06:52 PM »
Young Team is the best in my opinion. It's where I started and it's what I listen to the most.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 08:10:50 PM »
I only know of them because they did a smear campaign on my favorite band Blur.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 04:07:08 PM »
I am not an expert in the post-rock genre by any means, but I listen to quite a bit of it at work as a way to zone out when I need to get stuff done.  That said, if a song comes on that I really dig and haven't heard yet, 90% of the time it's by Mogwai.
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...