2 (4.1%)
Texas Rangers
0 (0%)
Toronto Blue Jays
6 (12.2%)
Washington Nationals
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: 2016 MLB Thread - FLY THE WORLD SERIES W FOR THE CHAMPION CUBS!!!  (Read 51585 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: 2016 MLB Thread
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2016, 12:17:01 AM »
Not really. Except on Chciago radio they are just all taking about how the White Sox did nothing which coesn't helpp them at all and I don't mind them at all go cubbies.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2016, 09:19:15 AM »
Good riddance A-Roid.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2016, 01:22:49 PM »
Manny Machado has 3 HRs and 7 RBI through three innings  :hefdaddy

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
That's pretty good, right?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2016, 06:44:02 PM »
Ichiro hit 3,000 today
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2016, 07:49:22 PM »
Funny, wasn't MLB just celebrating him as the all time hit king recently?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2016, 08:56:11 PM »
Regardless of his antics, A-Rod is still one of the greatest ever. Hate him or like him, he's the kind of player that comes around once or twice in a generation. I don't really care about the people who are going to harp on all of his negatives. He fucked up big time and embarrassed the Yankees, lying to them and taking them for granted. However, he made amends in such a way that they want him as part of their future. His teammates will forgive him. Management will mostly forgive him. Most of the fans will forgive him. He is a flawed as the rest of us. I've met him and spoken in depth to those who know him personally. He is a generous and actually an exceedingly funny person to be around.

I expect people will have lots of condescending and offensive things to say about him and that's everyone's right. However, does it make you feel cool to be that self-righteous?  ;)

I will definitely miss watching him play because when he was at the top of his game, there were very very few like him.

Funny, wasn't MLB just celebrating him as the all time hit king recently?

Yes. If you combine his Japanese and MLB hits, he has more than Rose.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #182 on: August 07, 2016, 09:05:49 PM »
The sad thing for A-Rod is, he could have been one of the best ever without steroids, but he went down that path, and now we will never know how great he really was.  The stain is forever on him, and nothing anyone says can change that.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #183 on: August 07, 2016, 09:26:27 PM »
I don't disagree. However, I try to look at it differently. Hundreds of players tried using some form of PEDs throughout the steroid era. People can't say that the drugs made him a great player, because they don't work that way. The only thing they can hold a grudge against him for is cheating. If they do that, they need to hold the same grudge against the hundreds of others who took PEDs. They can't take away just how good he was.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2016, 09:30:52 PM »
The sad thing for A-Rod is, he could have been one of the best ever without steroids, but he went down that path, and now we will never know how great he really was.  The stain is forever on him, and nothing anyone says can change that.

yep. the dude was a specimen. He didn't need to cheat. He was already a freakin stud. It's a shame he chose to go down that road.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2016, 10:28:18 PM »
I don't hold the PEDs against any of those guys. A-Rod, Bonds, McGwire, etc. are all-time greats. Every era has had its own version of PEDs--they've just become more advanced. Also, people tend to gloss over the fact that they were also batting against pitchers who were juicing.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2016, 07:02:07 AM »
This Friday we say goodbye to the greatest Yankee ever.  It will be a sad day for all Yankee fans.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2016, 08:16:30 AM »
This Friday we say goodbye to the greatest Yankee ever.  It will be a sad day for all Yankee fans.

Real Yankee fans are probably doing a backflip in excitement.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2016, 09:57:27 AM »
I don't hold the PEDs against any of those guys. A-Rod, Bonds, McGwire, etc. are all-time greats. Every era has had its own version of PEDs--they've just become more advanced. Also, people tend to gloss over the fact that they were also batting against pitchers who were juicing.

A voice of reason amongst the torches and pitchforks!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2016, 12:25:10 PM »

No they're not.

A voice of reason amongst the torches and pitchforks!

It's definitely a rational statement. People are exceedingly shortsighted in instances like that.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2016, 12:46:27 PM »

No they're not.

A lot are. A quick google search shows that he was hated by many.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2016, 01:00:46 PM »

No they're not.

A lot are. A quick google search shows that he was hated by many.

A quick Google search shows a lot, especially if you're looking for it.  :P

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2016, 05:18:15 PM »
This Friday we say goodbye to the greatest Yankee ever
I don't know about this. I remember this guy named Jeter that played for the Yankees. He was pretty good  ;)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2016, 05:45:41 PM »
Don't normally post in this thread, but...

I wish we could get past the idea that steroids are all about getting hulked out.  For many athletes, it's about faster recovery from injury.  And for those who are on the bubble (especially in MLB and NFL), that can be the difference between being on the team and languishing in the minors/practice squad...and even for the stars, it can be the difference between playing and not playing.  There are some who do it to get jacked, but I think it's far from the majority.  I don't remember enough of Slappy's career to know if there may have been a recovery component to it, but I'm not so quick to assume it was for power.

And Jeter is soooo over-rated.  He had very limited range, so he made plays that looked like circus catches on balls that would have been routine for other shortstops.  ARod was a better shortstop, and I don't think it was very close. [flame suit on]

Regarding ARod leaving now, I think it may have something to do with protecting one of their prospects by making room for him on the roster.  They're paying him his full contract, so it's not like its a move to save money.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2016, 06:29:11 PM »
I don't know about this. I remember this guy named Jeter that played for the Yankees. He was pretty good  ;)

Jeter was overrated, though.  He's not even one of the five best Yankees ever.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #195 on: August 09, 2016, 05:25:42 AM »

Jeter was overrated, though.  He's not even one of the five best Yankees ever.

Firstly, he's not overrated. He brought more to the team than just what he did on the field. Plus, he played in one of, if not, the toughest divisions in the league and played more games against them obviously.

Secondly, saying he's not one of the Top 5 Yankees ever isn't really an insult. Ruth, DiMaggio, Gehrig, Mantle, Berra (or even Whitey). It would sure suck to be number 6 in that list.  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2016, 05:30:31 AM »
Jeter being overrated is a widely accepted notion. He was very fortunate to be drafted by the Yankees.  But I will give any player who played through the "steroid era" clean props.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:36:57 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2016, 06:08:33 AM »

Firstly, he's not overrated. He brought more to the team than just what he did on the field. Plus, he played in one of, if not, the toughest divisions in the league and played more games against them obviously.

He is overrated, yes.  The fact that he ever won a single gold glove alone makes him overrated, considering he was never anything more than a mediocre fielder with limited range (the numbers back this up).

As for the toughest division in baseball, I have no idea if that is true or not, and I doubt it is, but so what?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2016, 06:11:10 AM »
Looks like Tim Tebow is taking aim at a career in baseball. Hopefully, this works out for him.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17252762/former-nfl-qb-tim-tebow-pursue-career-professional-baseball

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2016, 12:07:51 PM »
Looks like Tim Tebow is taking aim at a career in baseball. Hopefully, this works out for him.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17252762/former-nfl-qb-tim-tebow-pursue-career-professional-baseball
Seems like an extreme long shot.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2016, 12:37:36 PM »
Sounds like Prince Fielder is also set to retire.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2016, 12:53:52 PM »

He is overrated, yes.  The fact that he ever won a single gold glove alone makes him overrated, considering he was never anything more than a mediocre fielder with limited range (the numbers back this up).

As for the toughest division in baseball, I have no idea if that is true or not, and I doubt it is, but so what?

I don't think he was a medicore shortstop. His percentage was above the league average more often than not. If you look at past Gold Glove winners for his position, the numbers are not so dissimilar as you claim. Others have won the Gold Glove with worse numbers. He had Gold Glove wining numbers similar and better to people like Vizquel and A-Rod.

Jeter lost the MVP to Morneau in 2006, primarily because he wasn't a power hitter. Look at the numbers. Jeter got on base more, scored more runs, had more hits, and had a higher batting average, among other statistics.  The only thing Morneau trumped Jeter on was with power hitting. There is more to the game than hitting home runs. My point is that Jeter was a run producer. A lot of people prefer power hitters. He wasn't a five-tool player (since he didn't hit for power primarily) so I'm sure there are some who hold  that against him.

Playing in a tougher division makes a hell of a difference. You play the teams in your own division far more than the rest of the league. If you're facing a tougher teams  more often, then naturally the odds work against you. I'm not saying this is an open and shut statistic but it does play a part.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2016, 05:21:46 PM »
Jeter was a mediocre fielder.  Go look at his range for most of his career; very poor.  Yeah, he did a great job of taking care of the balls he got to, but his limited range allowed a lot of hits that better shortstops would have gobbled up and turned into outs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: August 10, 2016, 06:57:04 AM »
***Disclaimer***
I am not posting this as a Red Sox yahoo. I am merely posting this out of sheer amazement and unbelievability.

Last night during the Sox game, they mentioned that if Rick Porcello wins, it will be his 100th victory, and would make him only the 10nth player to achieve that before turning 28 in the last 40 years. I thought there must be some mistake.

Sure enough, watching MLB network this morning, they have the same stat, along with the list of who else has done it. It's quite a list:

Fernando Valenzuela
Roger Clemens
Bret Saberhagen
Dwight Gooden
Greg Maddux
Pedro Martinez
CC Sabathia
Feliz Hernandez
Clayton Kershaw

:omg:

Sox fans scoffed when they re-upped him for 4 @ 82m a year early AND before he even pitched a game for them! After having a brutal first half of last year, Sox fans were begging to Fire Sale him over the off season.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #204 on: August 10, 2016, 07:08:59 AM »
***Disclaimer***
I am not posting this as a Red Sox yahoo. I am merely posting this out of sheer amazement and unbelievability.

Last night during the Sox game, they mentioned that if Rick Porcello wins, it will be his 100th victory, and would make him only the 10nth player to achieve that before turning 28 in the last 40 years. I thought there must be some mistake.

Sure enough, watching MLB network this morning, they have the same stat, along with the list of who else has done it. It's quite a list:

Fernando Valenzuela
Roger Clemens
Bret Saberhagen
Dwight Gooden
Greg Maddux
Pedro Martinez
CC Sabathia
Feliz Hernandez
Clayton Kershaw

:omg:

Sox fans scoffed when they re-upped him for 4 @ 82m a year early AND before he even pitched a game for them! After having a brutal first half of last year, Sox fans were begging to Fire Sale him over the off season.

I was watching the Yankees game and heard the same thing. Interesting.  :biggrin:

Porcello is an excellent pitcher and not just because of that statistic. I like his stuff. I think they said he would be the 14th of all time, if I remember correctly. I forgot what the Yankees announcers said.

It would have been a closer game last night if the Yankees didn't get screwed on that third base call. His hand touched the bag just before he was tagged with the glove. I'm not saying it cost them the game. They made some other mistakes that did that. The reversed home run call didn't help them much though. The runs came in anyway.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: August 10, 2016, 07:17:30 AM »
Cecil Fielder, and his son Prince....both with 319 career HRs.

My favorite pic of Prince (with Alan Trammell)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:41:44 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: August 10, 2016, 07:21:16 AM »
It would have been a closer game last night if the Yankees didn't get screwed on that third base call. His hand touched the bag just before he was tagged with the glove. 

I was shocked that Girardi didn't challenge the call on Headley at third.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #207 on: August 10, 2016, 07:23:42 AM »
It would have been a closer game last night if the Yankees didn't get screwed on that third base call. His hand touched the bag just before he was tagged with the glove. 

I was shocked that Girardi didn't challenge the call on Headley at third.

Me too. I kept rewatching it. It looks like he missed the first swipe and actually tagged him on the front of his shoulder. Maybe he grazed his jersey enough though and that's what the ump saw. Still. I won't blame one call for ruining the game. They had other opportunities that they screwed up. How many times did they hit a grounder to the left side of the field with a runner on second or third? Ugh.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #208 on: August 10, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
What were the Yanks announcers saying about the Headley/Porcello dust up? The only thing Jerry Remy guessed was that maybe Porcello thought Headley was peaking at the signs because he was pointing at his eyes. So far, there's been no evidence to that, so maybe it was something else.

Porcello's comment:

* "I don't have any comment on that. Baseball stuff, it happens down on the field, and I'm just going to let it stay there between me and Headley." Rick Porcello on his argument with Chase Headley, which resulted in the benches emptying.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #209 on: August 10, 2016, 07:31:10 AM »
What were the Yanks announcers saying about the Headley/Porcello dust up? The only thing Jerry Remy guessed was that maybe Porcello thought Headley was peaking at the signs because he was pointing at his eyes. So far, there's been no evidence to that, so maybe it was something else.

Porcello's comment:

* "I don't have any comment on that. Baseball stuff, it happens down on the field, and I'm just going to let it stay there between me and Headley." Rick Porcello on his argument with Chase Headley, which resulted in the benches emptying.

It was hard to tell. All they showed was what looked like Headley reacting to something Porcello said. They didn't show anything before that, so I can't be sure what started it. When the argument started, the broadcast was in the middle of an instant replay so I couldn't tell what happened.