2 (4.1%)
Texas Rangers
0 (0%)
Toronto Blue Jays
6 (12.2%)
Washington Nationals
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: 2016 MLB Thread - FLY THE WORLD SERIES W FOR THE CHAMPION CUBS!!!  (Read 51781 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 2016 MLB Thread - Dude got punched in the face.
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2016, 02:32:12 PM »
Wasn't the takeout slide the instigation?

Perhaps... but there are lots of takeout/illegal slides that don't result in Odor's reaction.

I'm sure Bautista was only getting into his face to further a civil discussion on baseball etiquette and the unspoken rules.

Perhaps... but there are lots of F2F shouting matches that don't result in Odor's reaction.

I don't mean to be a 'homer' on this, but Odor was quite clearly the aggressor in all of this, and reportedly has a history of being a massive shit-disturber - including 2 VERY dirty takeout slides last year.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2016, 02:35:02 PM »
I'm not saying Odor shouldn't be suspended. But Bautista got off way too lightly. He looks like he was getting ready close a fist, and I just don't think 1 game was enough. They are both in a fight. 8 games vs 1 game does not compute.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2016, 02:42:38 PM »
I'm not trying to say that Odor wasn't the aggressor or that Bautista necessarily had it coming. I just don't get calling it a cheap shot or a sucker punch. Bautista was in the face of somebody during a highly aggressive confrontation and he got clocked. He should have known that was a distinct possibility.

And I'm assuming that Bautista was only suspended for the slide and not for fighting, hence the 8-1. Personally, I'd probably ding him for fighting a little bit. Moreover, I can see treating a penalty that results in a melee a little more harshly than one that doesn't.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »
And I'm assuming that Bautista was only suspended for the slide and not for fighting, hence the 8-1. Personally, I'd probably ding him for fighting a little bit. Moreover, I can see treating a penalty that results in a melee a little more harshly than one that doesn't.

That's all I'm saying. I don't have a dog in this fight, From here, getting punched in the chin actually *saved* Bautista a few games. And I think it's ridiculous.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2016, 03:08:34 PM »
I'm not trying to say that Odor wasn't the aggressor or that Bautista necessarily had it coming. I just don't get calling it a cheap shot or a sucker punch. Bautista was in the face of somebody during a highly aggressive confrontation and he got clocked. He should have known that was a distinct possibility.

I agree. If you look at the replay, Bautista has his hands up ready to throw down. It's his own stupid fault for taking an unobstructed punch to the chin.

As a Canadian, I'm a Jays fan through and through, but I personally hate having Bautista on my team. Sure, he can hit the long ball and his defense is right up with the top RF's in the league, but I could do without his "swagger". He whines and cries at every little play that doesn't go his way. I hope the Yankees sign him for $30 mil per season after this year so he can become their problem.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2016, 03:22:46 PM »
yeah... Jose probably warranted a couple of games.  1 was pretty light.  I think he should've took it like a champ - the same way he took Odor's right cross, and just sat his ass down.  It's not like the Jays needed him the last two game - man have the Rays cleaned their clock.  Embarrassing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »
So... Cubbies.  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2016, 10:51:35 AM »
It looks like I'm gonna have to start voting for the All-Star Game.  These Royals fans are insane.  There's no reason on God's green Earth for Alcides Escobar to be within 5,000 votes of Xander Bogaerts.  Xander is currently one of the top 2-3 players in the AL right now.  And Salvador Perez leads all AL players in votes received.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2016, 05:56:15 PM »
Mookie Betts!!  5 home runs in 7 at bats!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2016, 08:46:49 PM »
It looks like I'm gonna have to start voting for the All-Star Game.  These Royals fans are insane.  There's no reason on God's green Earth for Alcides Escobar to be within 5,000 votes of Xander Bogaerts.  Xander is currently one of the top 2-3 players in the AL right now.  And Salvador Perez leads all AL players in votes received.

Exactly.

But all the Cubs being in front of the NL voting works for me  :biggrin:

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2016, 06:36:33 AM »

Exactly.

But all the Cubs being in front of the NL voting works for me  :biggrin:
Considering they own the best record in baseball, they should.  Time to give some of the Boston's Killer B's some All-Star love!  Bogaerts and Betts (and Bradley) deserve it.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2016, 04:21:35 AM »
Machado keeping the thread title relevant :tup

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2016, 06:16:00 AM »
Yordano Ventura is LOL
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2016, 07:32:37 PM »
Yordano Ventura is LOL

He's got a history of trying to maim people with 99mph gas. Suspension should be at least 2 starts.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2016, 06:27:59 PM »
Just dropped in to say i don't count it as Ichiro passing Pete Roses hit record. Sure he's amassed more hits between two completely different leagues.....don't know why thier even making as big of deal out of it as they are.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2016, 08:23:36 PM »
Just dropped in to say i don't count it as Ichiro passing Pete Roses hit record. Sure he's amassed more hits between two completely different leagues.....don't know why thier even making as big of deal out of it as they are.

Agreed. It's a nice accomplishment, but shouldn't be viewed as an official record.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2016, 08:49:59 PM »
I am pretty tired of seeing this as well. I know Pete isn't the most likable guy (not that Ichiro is either) but c'mon media people. Quit presenting this as ICHIRO PASSES ROSE FOR MOST CAREER HITS
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2016, 09:21:22 PM »
Agreed. It's a nice accomplishment, but shouldn't be viewed as an official record.

He's coming up on 3,000 hits in the MLB....now that's something to write an article about but this whole deal about 'passing' Peter Rose is silly.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »
Yeah, it's utter nonsense. Ichiro is very, very, very good. But he's no Pete Rose.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2016, 10:49:04 PM »
Agreed. Nippon is a completely separate league. That'd be like counting minor league hits along with MLB hits.

Offline dparrott

Re: 2016 MLB Thread
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2016, 08:14:06 PM »
Dodgers promote AAA pitcher Nick Tepesch, promptly give the nickname Tepesch Mode!   :lol
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2016, 04:46:21 PM »
Kershaw strikeouts to walks is 145 to 9?!

That is amazing!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #162 on: July 12, 2016, 08:26:50 AM »
Kershaw strikeouts to walks is 145 to 9?!

That is amazing!!

He's easily the best the pitcher of the decade. It's almost a guaranteed win when he's on the mound.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #163 on: July 12, 2016, 08:54:54 AM »
And the sad thing is, some will always hold his postseason ERA against him, even though it is inflated because of the two teams the Cardinals knocked the crap out of him (and one of them was just as much on Mattingly, in Game 1 of 2014, for leaving him in too long in the 7th).

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2016, 11:40:34 AM »
And the sad thing is, some will always hold his postseason ERA against him, even though it is inflated because of the two teams the Cardinals knocked the crap out of him (and one of them was just as much on Mattingly, in Game 1 of 2014, for leaving him in too long in the 7th).
Thinly veiled "the Cardinals beat him twice in the playoffs, bahahaha" post
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2016, 07:44:27 AM »

I don't see how it's inflated. It is what it is. It's the playoffs.....you perform or you don't. Throwing 6 scoreless innings means nothing if you get your butt handed to you in the 7th one. It didn't take a psychic to know that Kershaw was going to throw that curve-ball to Adams....EVERYONE knew it was coming.

Great athletes rise to the occasion when called upon....some may be called to do more but to excuse Kershaws Playoff ERA as Mattingly's 'fault' or the other laughable excuse of the Cardinals stealing signs...is just making excuses for a pitcher who was beat hard...twice...by a team that wasn't scared of him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2016, 07:56:46 AM »
It's just weird to pitch like that in the playoffs.  He's so damn dominant during the season.  Dominate does do what he does justice.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2016, 08:00:03 AM »
Maybe he has a focus problem. One thing I noticed in the playoffs watching the Sox runs and others, is that EVERY pitch counts. He has obvious talent, but in the playoffs, it requires raising the level. If he doesn't, but the opposition does, it closes the gap between them.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2016, 08:04:06 AM »
It's just weird to pitch like that in the playoffs.  He's so damn dominant during the season.  Dominate does do what he does justice.

And in the instances where the Cards beat him he DID dominate for the majority of the game, but....

EVERY pitch counts.

Like I said....it's easier said than done, hitting a curve ball or whatever but it's not entirely difficult to guess what he's gonna throw.....it's tough trying to hit it but knowing what he's gonna throw in certain counts is not tough to guess. The Cards put good at bats together on him when they needed to and beat him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2016, 08:13:50 AM »
By inflated, what I mean is, you are never going to have as many starts in the playoffs as the regular season, so all it takes is a couple bad performances to blow an ERA up. Like a relief pitcher, who could have eight outings of perfect pitching, but then it his 9th outing, give up five runs in one inning, and all of a sudden his ERA is 5.00.  To that end, Kershaw got blown up the Cardinals twice, but has an ERA of 3.00 in his 11 other playoff outings combined.  Small sample size. ;)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2016, 08:30:37 AM »
By inflated, what I mean is, you are never going to have as many starts in the playoffs as the regular season, so all it takes is a couple bad performances to blow an ERA up. Like a relief pitcher, who could have eight outings of perfect pitching, but then it his 9th outing, give up five runs in one inning, and all of a sudden his ERA is 5.00.  To that end, Kershaw got blown up the Cardinals twice, but has an ERA of 3.00 in his 11 other playoff outings combined.  Small sample size. ;)

I know....I just wanted to keep bringing up that the Cards beat LA and Kershaw twice when they weren't 'supposed' to   :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2016, 12:54:24 PM »
I'm certainly not complaining since I'm a Jays fan, but what the hell is wrong with Baltimore right now? Wow, they're tanking hard this month   ;D

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »
I'm certainly not complaining since I'm a Jays fan, but what the hell is wrong with Baltimore right now? Wow, they're tanking hard this month   ;D

Nothing, meaning that they seriously overachieved in the first half of the season. They're just coming back down to earth. Unless something changes, I expect them to finish in 3rd, which may still be good enough to compete for the 2nd Wild Card.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2016, 12:34:28 PM »

Nothing, meaning that they seriously overachieved in the first half of the season. They're just coming back down to earth. Unless something changes, I expect them to finish in 3rd, which may still be good enough to compete for the 2nd Wild Card.

You're absolutely right that 3rd in the east will likely get the 2nd WC. Easily the best division in baseball by a large margin.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2016, 12:27:02 PM »
Jay Bruce to the Mets. We'll see if any other big moves are made.