Author Topic: 7 Songs for 7 Days  (Read 19786 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 7 Songs for 7 Days
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2016, 07:10:46 AM »
Thanks Kingshmegland for the facts!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2016, 07:22:54 AM »
 :lol

I just remember reading that early on in their career.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2016, 09:01:37 AM »
Ooops, I thought we were talking about the Wanted Dead Or Alive solo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2016, 09:23:09 AM »

So did I! :lol

(until the link)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2016, 09:25:11 AM »

(until the link)

So did I!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2016, 09:32:49 AM »
Well Tim was talking about Runaway so I thought that was the subject.   Oops!  Did you guys know though about Runaway?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2016, 10:00:44 AM »
Well Tim was talking about Runaway so I thought that was the subject.   

I was?  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2016, 10:15:06 AM »
Of course I knew

Maybe

Perhaps

Wasn't really sure

No.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2016, 10:25:44 AM »
Well Tim was talking about Runaway so I thought that was the subject.   

I was?  :lol

We were talking about the 1984 tour and went on about the first album you silly guy. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2016, 12:19:13 PM »

(until the link)

So did I!

That's the solo I was referring to when I said it was "almost the perfect solo".

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2016, 12:47:34 PM »
My bad guys.  I was fixated on Runaway.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2016, 01:12:55 PM »
Well now that the Bon Jovi mystery has been cleared up, what becomes if this thread now. Are we all in line to give our 7 most influential songs?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2016, 01:20:15 PM »
Well, since Kade bailed on my nomination (I'm very hurt over this :emo:   :D), I re-nominate Stadler - since he kinda asked for it.

Lock 'n' Load baby.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2016, 01:32:04 PM »
Yeah, would be interested in Stadler's. I'm probably ready as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2016, 01:35:26 PM »
I re-nominate Stadler - since he kinda asked for it.

Stadler, STAY OUT OD THIS THREAD!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2016, 06:36:24 AM »
I re-nominate Stadler - since he kinda asked for it.

Stadler, STAY OUT OD THIS THREAD!!

Haha, with that warm welcome out of the way... I see two "yea" votes and one "nay", so let's begin.   

I toyed with the idea of seeing if you could guess the theme, but I figured only the second one in, and the first time doing something like this, that may be a bit too much...

I went with my seven favorite ALBUM closers.  Key word: ALBUM.  Had to have been released on vinyl on day one. 

The first song is one that should be familiar to die-hard DT fans, as they have covered it in the past.  I was a huge metal head when I was a kid, my first concert being Iron Maiden opening for Judas Priest on the Number.../Screaming... tour.  Also big into Sabbath and Deep Purple, so really gravitated to Randy Rhoads more than I did to Van Halen and the other "West Coast Hair Metal".  I thought he was really different, and this song really hammered the point home.  An epic album closer, and in this one case, an epic career closer, as Mr. Rhoads tragically perished on the tour for this album. 

Diary Of A Madman

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2016, 06:47:12 AM »
Great choice. I distinctly remember the Priest/Maiden tour, but I would not attend my first concert for another 6 -8 months.

Diary Of A Madman is so epic, that on the strength of that track alone, I always opted for Diary over Blizzard. The song itself remains my all time favorite Ozzy track. (The next album's closer is actually my second favorite Ozzy track.)

Really would've loved to hear more of what Randy had to offer.

Also, while a bit repetitive, if anyone is into this era, Rudy Sarzo's book Off The Rails is required reading.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2016, 06:51:21 AM »
I wore out this album and that song was such a killer tune.  Those first to Ozzy solo albums are top notch. I remember being jealous that I couldn't see Ozzy on that tour and some of my friends did.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2016, 06:53:13 AM »

Really would've loved to hear more of what Randy had to offer.

Interesting that you say that, because another song on that album (on that album SIDE, for that matter) is my number one choice for worst fade out of all time, "Tonight, Tonight".  Randy just kicks in and the song starts to fade.  For the longest time, I figured the tape broke, or he busted a string, or dropped the guitar, so there isn't much more, but when they were mooting the latest remastered and Deluxe Diary, "Tonight, Tonight (Extended)" was on the track list, only to be dropped before release.

I don't usually go in for all the "Sharon bashing" that others do, but I will say, she has butchered his catalogue like no other (the deluxe release of Blizzard skipped "You Said It All", a Randy B-side that it would have been nice to have on CD). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2016, 07:01:02 AM »
I wore out this album and that song was such a killer tune.  Those first to Ozzy solo albums are top notch. I remember being jealous that I couldn't see Ozzy on that tour and some of my friends did.

Ozzy played in early April 1982, with UFO opening. My parents were having none of it. Still a full year before I saw my first show. I remember exactly where I was when I heard Randy died.

Stad, I know exactly what you are talking about with the end of Tonight. He was about to go on a tear!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2016, 11:55:21 AM »
DAY 2

Let’s do some prog, shall we?  This is where it gets hard.    I picked “album closers”, because traditionally, the album closer was either the epic of the album (think Iron Maiden), or the odd ball song from the sessions (think “Tomorrow Never Knows”) or the big instrumental (think Genesis).  In all cases, in the days of vinyl, it served as the book end of the record.  No “bonus tracks” to mar up the finale; just the fade (or end) and the quiet scratch as the needle moved to the center of the disk.   For me, listening as I did through headphones from my dad’s stereo, that meant that the last song reverberated for a while, and lingered beyond the actual record itself.  Prog was great for this; it was experimental by its very nature, and much more cinematic than, say, blues based rock of the early ‘70’s.   So the album closer seemed to occupy an even greater position of prominence on those early prog records.   It was, in many cases, the ultimate statement on the record.  I debated using “In The Court of the Crimson King”, on the basis that it was the first and arguably the paradigm of this new thing called “progressive rock”, but I went against nature.  I selected “Fracture”.   Robert Fripp has called it the most difficult piece he’s ever played, a feat made more impressive given that it is from an album that was largely improvised on stage at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, and later supplemented (to greater or lesser degree) in the studio.  Both versions are widely available, but not on YouTube; the link is to a live version in Quebec in 1974.   If nothing else, this version lacks because it doesn't have (to my ears) Bill Bruford yelling “F!” at 8:25; nonetheless, a fine example of perhaps the most experimental and powerful period of a band known for being both.

Fracture

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2016, 12:35:30 PM »
King Crimson does not do it for me, so I'll just  :corn and eagerly await the next update.  :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »
King Crimson does not do it for me, so I'll just  :corn and eagerly await the next update.  :)

Ditto... could never get into TCOTKC.  Figured if I couldn't get into that, KC was a lost cause for me.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »
I find that their sound varies WIDELY across their discography, but even still I wouldn't imagine much of it would be for you.  Maybe try Red or Discipline sometime just to see.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
I rented Discipline from my town library years ago.  It was horrible.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2016, 02:12:36 PM »
there you go
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »
You won't get far without discipline.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2016, 02:55:26 PM »
Well, I certainly get the mixed emotions; I'm not the hugest fan of the Levin/Belew years either. 

But the sheer instrumentality of the song, and the technical virtuosity of Fripp... it's an impressive piece even if it isn't for everyone.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2016, 03:38:34 PM »
Well, since Kade bailed on my nomination (I'm very hurt over this :emo:   :D), I re-nominate Stadler - since he kinda asked for it.

Lock 'n' Load baby.

I haven't bailed bro, just postponed.  Don't be sad baby.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »
...and Tim is working on 7 Winger songs in 7 seconds.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2016, 03:55:48 PM »
 :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »
...and Tim is working on 7 Winger songs in 7 seconds.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2016, 05:20:47 PM »
Hmm... I quite like Discipline and most else from KC that I've heard (Fracture among it)

Good start
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2016, 06:57:02 PM »

Ditto... could never get into TCOTKC.  Figured if I couldn't get into that, KC was a lost cause for me.

Both of you shut your whore mouths!

Fantastic closer from a fantastic album, Stad. Don't listen the these yokels.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2016, 08:08:54 AM »
Well, I like Fracture, so there.   Back to the metal, and back to a band I’ve mentioned already twice.  Not their first epic, that would be “Phantom of the Opera”, and arguably not their best, that has several contenders (my answer would be “Rime of the Ancient Mariner”).   But this was a watershed moment.  “Phantom” was  really just Maiden, longer.  This was something more.  The tolling of the bell, the soft guitars, and Bruce singing in something other than his “air-raid siren” wail, the anticipation of the man in the cold cell is palpable.  Maiden had previously used movie titles as the basis for their songs, but this was in every way a movie set to music.   This was one of my first experiences of a metal band going well beyond “barre chords” to paint a vivid picture, and was a real statement as to what Bruce’s arrival meant to Maiden.  He was a better singer than Di’Anno, but more importantly he had a wider vision.  Bruce got no credit on Number for contractual reasons, but his presence is all over this record, and you can tell that Steve Harris (the primary writer at that time) was just spreading his wings.   I personally love the way Bruce’s vocal perfectly bridges the gap between the anticipation and the actual moment arriving.  I hear his extended legato line at 0:55 (and running for a full 25 seconds, with one short breath) to be symbolic of the rising tension, fear, and panic as the man is lead to his very death.   Blew me away then, blew me away when I saw it live, and still is a favorite moment from one of my favorite musicians ever.   Then, of course, all that goes out the window and the band goes nuts.  This song is a band favorite, and I believe has been on every tour since its release, except for the Maiden England tour.  I’ve personally seen the song live I think four times, and it’s a highlight of the show. 

Hallowed Be Thy Name