Author Topic: 7 Songs for 7 Days  (Read 19789 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 7 Songs for 7 Days
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2016, 02:38:51 PM »
I always disliked Bon Jovi for some reason.  Their music just never did it for me, I feel there were loads of bands that did the style better.

In the beginning they were actually pretty decent. I saw them on their first tour open for the Scorps in 1984. I was familiar with Runaway at the time, but after seeing them, I bought their debut the next day. Even 7800 has some rocking tunes.
Slippery went huge, and really opened the floodgates for the hair metal explosion. The movement itself was well underway, but Bon Jovi made it mainstream. And I thought that New Jersey was pretty solid. I was worried they'd wimp out after the success of SWW, but they didn't. Saw them a bunch of times on the SWW and NJ tours and they ALWAYS put on a great show.

I can't even imagine how many groupies Jon has been with

:biggrin:

Day 4.
Sometime back in 2005 (before there was a plethora of online listening services) I was listening to some online streaming service (I think live365.com) this song came on.  Wow... the combination of operatic vocals + Marco`s coarse (but not grunge or death) vocals, pounding metal and symphonic keyboards was something I'd never experienced before.  It was also the realization that fantastic music came from all over the world, and really started my unending thirst to discover new music, leading me to the likes of Ayreon, Angra, Vanden Plas, Circus Maximus, and many more.

Oh, and this live version kicks all kinds of ass.

Planet Hell

Another track from The TAC Roulette!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2016, 04:11:28 PM »
I only sent you the best buddy!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 07:01:49 AM »
Day 5.

From my 2nd favourite band of all time, Rush.  I became an uber fan in the early 90s, right before the Roll The Bones tour, where they brought this song back after a 10+ year hiatus.  The laser show for it at the time was spectacular - and of naturally, I was higher than a kite.  Seeing them do it again just a few months ago for the final R40 tour was a moment I’ll never forget.  The first time I heard this tune was awe-inspiring - the complexity, the brilliance of the writing and musicianship, the execution.... flawless song.  Absolutely flawless - and my #2 favourite song of all time.

Rush / Xanadu
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 07:11:09 AM »
I'd ask what #1 is but I'm guessing that is forthcoming.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 07:32:37 AM »
I'd ask what #1 is but I'm guessing that is forthcoming.

Kinda sorta.  It will be revealed, but the song itself is not forthcoming.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2016, 10:23:24 AM »
Xanadu is amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2016, 11:08:01 AM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »
Day 5.

From my 2nd favourite band of all time, Rush.  I became an uber fan in the early 90s, right before the Roll The Bones tour, where they brought this song back after a 10+ year hiatus.  The laser show for it at the time was spectacular - and of naturally, I was higher than a kite.  Seeing them do it again just a few months ago for the final R40 tour was a moment I’ll never forget.  The first time I heard this tune was awe-inspiring - the complexity, the brilliance of the writing and musicianship, the execution.... flawless song.  Absolutely flawless - and my #2 favourite song of all time.

Rush / Xanadu

Giggity.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2016, 02:26:50 PM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2016, 02:29:38 PM »
the song is phenomenal and that intro slays me
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »
Damn... this slipped my mind yesterday morning!  Well, I'm still doing better than Nick and Mason are on FB.

From my favourite album of all time, and my other 2nd favourite band, it's our flagship band.  Though this isn’t my favourite song by them (that would be Octavarium - which is also my favorite song of all time), this is the one they really grabbed my attention with.  In early 1997, it was a guy that I was working with that introduced me to them, and when I first heard them (it was actually A Fortune in Lies that was my first exposure to them), I couldn't believe the musicianship - crazy time signatures, talent, speed, structure.... everything was unlike what I was used to - it was everything that I got with Xanadu, but Metal.  This was my first album by them, and by the end of the week I had purchased their entire discography up to that point, and have been hooked on them since.

Metropolis Part 1 (Luna Park)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2016, 11:15:19 AM »
A very influential song in my life as well. No surprise there.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2016, 01:17:18 PM »
Never heard of this one :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2016, 01:32:22 PM »
I believe Metropolis also makes my Top 7 Influential songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2016, 01:50:07 PM »
Perfect song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2016, 01:54:39 PM »
Eargasm.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2016, 02:46:40 PM »
I'll just go ahead and quote myself here

the song is phenomenal and that intro slays me
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2016, 08:02:57 AM »
And to wrap it up ...

Day 7:
The song that had the most profound impact on my life.  Growing up, neither of my parents were all that in to music, so I just kinda wandered musically, never really finding anything that I could get truly connected to.  I had to discover things myself, and ultimately ended up on pop stuff like Wham, Madonna, Culture Club, Cindy Lauper etc...  Sure, there were some bouts of Supertramp, Yes, Halen, but only their fluffy songs that made it on to top 40 radio in the early/mid 80s.

It was 1986, and my older brother had just bought a new stereo with a CD player (those were brand new at the time).  He pops in Led Zeppelin IV, and I'm like wtf with the little wah wah wah wah opening.  Then Bobby Plant chimes in and I'm with his god-like voice.  It changed my musical tastes forever.  Up to that point, I was a wussy little teenager listening to all that poppy crap. 

Zeppelin is still, and always will be, my favourite band.  Have the four symbols on my left shoulder, which makes it so forever.  Black Dog may not be my favorite Zeppelin song, hell, it probably isn't even top 10 for me, but it changed my musical life forever.  At the time, my parents had just split up, and I was turning into a 'problem' teenager - I just didn't give a crap about anything.  I was kinda lost, not really fitting in anywhere or with anything.  Hearing this gave me wonder, appreciation, awe, inspiration, amazement, desire, drive, determination and probably a whole host of other emotions.  It breathed life into me again.  Gave me a purpose.  Made me a fan of something - ultimately it gave me something to love - music.  Nowadays, I don't go anywhere or do pretty much anything without music.  Grocery shopping?  Gotta have my music.  Dog walking?  Music.  Working?  Music.  Chores?  Tunes.  I have spare earbuds planted all over the place, just to be sure there's a pair always handy.  It sometimes drives mrs.jingle nuts ... "take your headphones out and be part of the family!".

Black Dog (couldn't find a better link with just the studio version; Rock 'n' Roll is pretty damned good too)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2016, 12:37:41 PM »
I was wondering where the Zeppelin was!

Interesting list in that there are a lot of more recent selections. I feel that in my list, Metropolis is the newest track.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2016, 12:48:19 PM »
I was wondering where the Zeppelin was!

Interesting list in that there are a lot of more recent selections. I feel that in my list, Metropolis is the newest track.

Bear in mind, that Metropolis is almost 25 years old!

Human See, Human Do - 2010
Obsessions - 2011
Wanted Dead or Alive - 1986
Planet Hell - 2005
Xanadu - 1977 (though for me, it was 1990)
Metropolis - 1992 (though for me, it was 1997)
Black Dog - 1971 (though for me, it was 1986)

So, three post 2000s; one in the 90s; three pre 90s

The really cool thing about the Star One albums, is that it made me want to go out and actually watch all of the movies/TV shows that the songs were based on... the first album being all about space/sci-fi movies (Dr. Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, Dune etc...); the second album about dystopian-future movies (The Matrix, Planet of the Apes, Escape From NY, 12 Monkeys etc...)  Pretty influential stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2016, 12:48:43 PM »
One of the few Zeppelin songs I know, love the main riff, my drum teacher used to play it a lot when we would do jam-sessions, him on the guitar and me on the drums  :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
I don't know when I'll have time to do this, I haven't even given it a thought.  I'll start something Monday I think, but I might just do something like 7 kickass underrated songs or something, something simple.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2016, 05:27:27 PM »
For Zep I was Achilles.  The song blew my fragile little mind.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2016, 06:21:50 PM »
In the beginning they were actually pretty decent. I saw them on their first tour open for the Scorps in 1984. I was familiar with Runaway at the time, but after seeing them, I bought their debut the next day.

I saw that tour too.  They WERE good.  Working hard, delivering the goods, you can tell that they were going to go somewhere.   I was surprised how good Jon sang live.  I don't know that he can do that now (and he's gotten a little douche as he has gotten older).    I think that solo by Sambora is almost the perfect guitar solo. 

I don't know if it's gauche to ask in on these, but if anyone needs a nominee, I'll do it.  I dig this s*** (even if I have to figure out how to bury a link). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2016, 06:23:24 PM »
I have to admit that Black Dog is a song I rarely seek out, and it has never been one of my favorite LZ songs, but every time I hear it, like on the radio at work today, it's always more than obvious why it was and is still so popular. :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2016, 05:23:53 AM »
In the beginning they were actually pretty decent. I saw them on their first tour open for the Scorps in 1984. I was familiar with Runaway at the time, but after seeing them, I bought their debut the next day.

I saw that tour too.  They WERE good.  Working hard, delivering the goods, you can tell that they were going to go somewhere.   I was surprised how good Jon sang live.  I don't know that he can do that now (and he's gotten a little douche as he has gotten older).    I think that solo by Sambora is almost the perfect guitar solo. 

I don't know if it's gauche to ask in on these, but if anyone needs a nominee, I'll do it.  I dig this s*** (even if I have to figure out how to bury a link).

That solo is one of my top 5 of all-time.  As for 'burying' a link, just 'quote' any of the posts, and you'll see the exact syntax you need.  No need to actuall POST the quote, just click the quote button so you can see how it's done.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2016, 05:28:40 AM »
If you are taking about the studio song's solo Richie did not play it.  That was the one song recorded separately in Jon's uncles studio where he was working.

One of the keyboardist from Springsteen played on it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2016, 05:31:59 AM »
If you are taking about the studio song's solo Richie did not play it.  That was the one song recorded separately in Jon's uncles studio where he was working.

No shit!  Well suck me sideways.  Still in the top 5 tho.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2016, 05:35:40 AM »
It's how he got the record contract.  He worked at the studio,  didn't get paid, but was promised he could record a song. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2016, 03:43:48 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2016, 03:57:42 AM »
Haven't had 2 seconds to give this a single thought guys, apologies.  I'll get to it, but if someone else wants to have a go, that's sweet with me.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2016, 06:46:33 AM »

This is the first time I hear this and frankly, I don't believe it. Do you have a link or something?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2016, 06:34:50 AM »
I have to admit that Black Dog is a song I rarely seek out, and it has never been one of my favorite LZ songs, but every time I hear it, like on the radio at work today, it's always more than obvious why it was and is still so popular. :metal

Agreed.

As a young kid just getting into music though Zep 4 was a staple.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2016, 07:00:42 AM »

This is the first time I hear this and frankly, I don't believe it. Do you have a link or something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_(Bon_Jovi_song)