Author Topic: 7 Songs for 7 Days  (Read 19790 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: 7 Songs for 7 Days
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2016, 11:58:49 PM »
Great song, but not my absolute favorite by The Doors.

I'd be up for this at some point, if y'all don't mind a lady cutting in to the boys' club here. :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2016, 09:32:38 AM »
Thanks Deb.

This next band I found out at my cousin's 12th birthday in 1977.  As a 10 year old I fell in love with their look at first and then I fell in love with their album from 1975.  The album cover is awesome.  They first 2 songs on this album is a tour de force. 

https://youtu.be/-4U000l0T6k
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »
Hell yeah.  I didn't discover Kiss until the late 80s, and still not too deep with them.  Top 100 song of all time in my books though
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2016, 11:14:04 AM »
KISS were pretty much responsible for sending me on this path of metal.
Not my favourite band now but they're still up there. So many great (mainly Paul Stanley) songs. Just double checking that the auto correct didn't change that to "manly"  :lol

DRC is a great song. The guitar harmony part is just so cool. And the feedback into King of the Nighttime World gets me every time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »
Unapologetic Kiss fan to this day.  Seen them more than any other band, and would go again tomorrow.  To me it never gets old. 

Got to meet Paul twice, and Gene once, and both are perhaps the nicest celebrities on the planet.  Neither had to, but both took the time to talk to me (and in Paul's case, my 5 year old daughter) like we were the most important people in the world.   

I had the booklets from Alive! and Alive II with me when I met Gene, and he looked through and commented on the pictures ("That one was staged.  We needed another photo and went into the empty hall before the show to shoot this!" This was the cover to Alive!).

When I met Paul the second time, with my daughter, he got down on his knee and talked to her one on one for a good couple minutes ("Ooh, I like your earrings!  What do you want to be when you get older?").  She didn't know him from a row of assholes, but knew he was important and knew he was paying attention to her, and it made a lasting impression.  She's now a 15-year-old Kiss fan.  I took her to her first show this past summer, and during "Rock and Roll All Nite" she took a picture of the stage exploding and posted it on Instagram with the caption "Greatest night of my life!"

Rock and Roll Over is still my favorite, but this combo never ceases to get my blood pumping.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2016, 08:46:12 AM »
What a great story Stadler.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2016, 09:55:34 AM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2016, 12:23:53 PM »
KISS were pretty much responsible for sending me on this path of metal.
Not my favourite band now but they're still up there. So many great (mainly Paul Stanley) songs. Just double checking that the auto correct didn't change that to "manly"  :lol

DRC is a great song. The guitar harmony part is just so cool. And the feedback into King of the Nighttime World gets me every time.

Yes, all of this.

I love Paul Stanley. Stadler, any chance you attended Paul's solo tour in '89? I went to the Hartford show. Got a pick and some front row pics.

Alive II was the first album I ever bought.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2016, 01:35:05 PM »

I love Paul Stanley. Stadler, any chance you attended Paul's solo tour in '89? I went to the Hartford show. Got a pick and some front row pics.

Alive II was the first album I ever bought.

Alive II was the first one I bought with my own money (at the time, that picture of Gene was so cool!!)

I did not see that tour, and I regret it.  I love his solo album and listen to it regularly to this day.   I was in CT, then, too, so I don't know what I was thinking.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2016, 01:41:26 PM »
We ended up going to Hartford because the Boston show was sold out. It was awesome. Seems the band started to embrace the older songs after that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »
The tour that got Erik Singer into the KISS door.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »
The tour that got Erik Singer into the KISS door.

Yup, and Bob Kulick got to play all those great songs from the solo album live.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2016, 02:08:20 PM »
I do have a bootleg video of that tour.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2016, 02:13:57 PM »
So it was the summer of 1981.  I got a cassette off my guitar teacher.   First side was Santana - Zebop.  Fantastic album.  But it was the second side that sent me on the path of buying every album, bootleg, different versions of the same album, (Album, cassette,  cd, remastered cd, Blu Ray...) and 31 times seeing them live.

This was the song and album that started my obsession.

https://youtu.be/auLBLk4ibAk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2016, 02:28:19 PM »
I have vivid memories of becoming a Rush fan myself. 1981, to me, was the best year in music.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2016, 02:32:56 PM »
I was just turning 13, learning guitar. This album just took over my life, my parents car, to their dismay  :lol and I had to learn every note, how to look like Alex when I played my guitar. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2016, 03:10:14 PM »
Well, as songs and bands go, you could definitely pick a worse obsession!

This is actually when I started to drift away from Rush some. At this point in my musical journey I was craving a bit more raw aggression.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »
You metalhead. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2016, 03:33:35 PM »
I also got in at Moving Pictures and got everything else they had by the time Signals came out. And then, after Signals, I also moved on. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2016, 03:35:28 PM »
Well of course that makes sense Tim.  Your leanings is to more hard rock/metal and they certainty moved in a different direction. Me, I'm a music whore. I sleep with many genres.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2016, 03:41:35 PM »
Me, I'm a music whore. I sleep with many genres.

What do you think of The Astonishing?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2016, 03:52:30 PM »
I like it. There's so much to soak in I need more time to soak it in.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2016, 03:53:34 PM »
I kept thinking of Hemispheres. That was my favorite era of Rush.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2016, 04:03:59 PM »
Well thereceived are certainly a few more songs in major chords which sound happier.  But that's more of writing for a play. I'm very happy that Ihave to have multiple listens.  Those kind of albums grow on me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2016, 04:35:32 PM »
Man that video brought back some memories.  Much Music (our version of MTV) used to do these 30-minute segments every night featuring any given band... they played 4-5 videos, clips of some interviews, and VJ opinions.  I got 'in' to a lot of bands that way - Rush being one of them.  But not until the late 80s.

I watched the fuck out of that Tom Sawyer video.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2016, 04:37:48 PM »
   Much Music (our version of MTV) 

I had an awesome Much Music video of a Metallica special.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »
We got Much Music in the 90'same durring the I Mother Earth answer Our Lady Peace days.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2016, 05:20:23 PM »
Man that video brought back some memories.  Much Music (our version of MTV) used to do these 30-minute segments every night featuring any given band... they played 4-5 videos, clips of some interviews, and VJ opinions.  I got 'in' to a lot of bands that way - Rush being one of them.  But not until the late 80s.

I watched the fuck out of that Tom Sawyer video.

Much Music Spotlight!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2016, 06:39:06 AM »
Tom Sawyer; one of the very few "signature songs" from a major band that isn't tired and has really held it's own.  When that comes on the Sirius in the car, I STILL swerve all over the road as I'm (feebly and out of time) drumming away in the car.     I just love that song (whole album, really). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2016, 07:19:10 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does the dashboard drumming. :lol  Asia's, "Wildest Dreams" is another!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2016, 07:57:06 PM »
So after Rush and bands like Iron Maiden,  I was looking for a band that could meld my love for prog and my love for metal.  I think you know the next band from the early 90's.

https://youtu.be/SGRgAULYgWE

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2016, 08:42:36 PM »
Pssh, bunch of hacks.

:P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: February 03, 2016, 04:16:26 AM »
I whored this album to whoever I could.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2016, 04:43:49 AM »
Suspect that this is the same to you (and many) as Black Dog is to me.  Not the favorite by DT by any stretch, but the song that opened the flood gates, with an absolutely jaw dropping first experience.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2016, 06:10:44 AM »
It was the gateway to DT.  I had to have the record store order the CD to me.  I remember going to visit my friend 45 minutes south of LA.  I brought the CD with me and I played it on the plane ride a ton of times.  That was a long flight.  We were an hour late in Boston from the de-icing, then we flew to Denver where for 45 minutes we circled and couldn't land because of a blizzard then we went back to Chicago where I had a 3 hour layover to change from the LA airport to the John Wayne Airport and landed 13 & 1/2's later.