Author Topic: 7 Songs for 7 Days  (Read 19782 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 7 Songs for 7 Days
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2016, 12:19:06 PM »
Let's end in the strange village.   The other six are generally in order, but really, if you swapped one for the other, it wouldn’t really matter.  But this one is number one, and for reason.  One of my favorite songs ever from one of my favorite albums ever.  This song is everything I love about Rush in a concise 9 minutes and 37 seconds.  The song, Rush’s first instrumental, is broken into 12 sections, each one an almost stand alone vignette (though some themes are repeated).  I think this was a breakthrough for Rush, and really put the emphasis on the playing as opposed to the message of the lyrics.  Even though Rush is known for its lyrics, and Peart has proven himself to be a literary giant, I feel like this song relates a story every bit as evocative as any of Rush’s lyrical works.  Keeping with the metaphor of an instrumental, I won’t say much here, and let the song speak for itself.  Mein froinds. 

La Villa Strangiato

Thank you for listening, and I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did (though I tend to think I enjoyed it more; this was really fun for me).

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2016, 12:24:17 PM »
Buenos Noches, Stadler!

As for your selection, gun to my head? It's my favorite album closer of all time from my favorite prog album. I've enjoyed your list tremendously and I'm happy to know that there is somethings that you and I can whole-heartedly agree on.

Thanks for doing it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:34:31 PM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2016, 12:29:29 PM »
I love La Villa Strangiato and Hemispheres might be my favorite Rush album.

Damn, I thought I had the pick!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:47:11 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2016, 12:45:40 PM »
And this made #13 on my personal Top 100 songs of all time.  3rd Favorite Rush tune.

Flawless Victory
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2016, 03:29:35 PM »
Buenos Noches, Stadler!

As for your selection, gun to my head? It's my favorite album closer of all time from my favorite prog album. I've enjoyed your list tremendously and I'm happy to know that there is somethings that you and I can whole-heartedly agree on.

Thanks for doing it.

Not a problem!! I really enjoyed it, and would right now throw my hat in the ring to do it again.  It was a lot of fun, and I really appreciate you all "listening/reading".   I've even got another theme in mind (though I don't have 7 songs yet).   "Seven best 'prog' songs from non-prog bands".   And there's the old "Seven best 'pop' songs from 'prog' bands". 

I'm like a kid in a candy store. :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2016, 03:36:20 PM »
Stadler, great songs man.  I enjoy seeing the music that lead us to where we are today. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »
Stadler, would love to see you do a Top 50. Of course, I'd probably love every other album!  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2016, 03:49:48 PM »
Stadler, would love to see you do a Top 50. Of course, I'd probably love every other album!  ;D

With Stadler's command of writing and his knowledge of the ol' school metal side of things he'd be a perfect host for a discography. Maybe, Black Sabbath? Judas?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2016, 10:21:15 AM »
If there's no objection I can do the next 7.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2016, 10:23:37 AM »
If there's no objection I can do the next 7.

I think Stadler should pick the person, but of course I have no objection. :lol These lists have been very entertaining so far.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2016, 10:32:58 AM »
Great list, Stadler. Heart of the Sunrise is probably my favorite of the lot, but there's no arguing with any of the other ones. Love me La Villa at the top and Hallowed Be Thy Name as well.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2016, 10:39:09 AM »
Well, the FB trend was to nominate someone, but that failed miserably right off the bat (:glare: @ Kade ...  :biggrin:).  Since this should be a fairly fast moving topic (other than roulette's and Top 50 lists), I say whoever is ready/willing/able... just go.  No need for a signup or anything.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2016, 10:46:40 AM »
I'll do it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »
If someone doesn't post something by tomorrow, I'll nominate someone.  Either way, I'm really looking forward to what comes next.  I find this stuff to be very fun.

I'm also considering the discography thing; I just have to settle on a band that would be of interest to people and that I'm in the mood to dig into. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2016, 10:51:27 AM »
So as a young boy driving around with my dad who loved music, I had the joy of hearing the genesis of rock n roll.  This first artist was my dad's favorite musician.   The first band to use 2 guitarists in a band.  It set me on the path of my love for music.

I to this day have the greatest hits on my I Pod and listen to it  and it connects me to my dad and family.  John Wayne be damned.

https://youtu.be/Rk6YDzmqZ0I

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2016, 12:16:14 PM »
So what's your theme, King? Tunes from your Pa's turntable?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2016, 12:21:09 PM »
Music that influenced me through the decades. Obviously I'll have a couple from the same decade.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2016, 12:31:06 PM »
  I to this day have the greatest hits on my I Pod and listen to it  and it connects me to my dad and family.   

That's great Joe! That's what it's all about.

I was just thinking about this this morning. Before the store opened, the in store radio was playing some old song, a lite rock 70's song. I literally felt like a child and got goosebumps. Though my parents were not into music per se, there always seemed to be music playing in the house, and on camping trips, etc..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2016, 02:56:06 PM »
So what's your theme, King? Tunes from your Pa's turntable?

HAHAHA, that was funny.

Friggin' LOVE Buddy Holly.  I don't advertise it much here but I love all that music from the 50's when the "Stratocaster sound" was just starting to take off.  That, and early rockabilly/country (thinking Big John Cash and Roy Orbison and Elvis).

Cool start.   

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2016, 03:02:09 PM »
Typical.

I make a straight comment and people laugh. I make a wise crack that I think is hilarious and...

*crickets*

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2016, 03:12:45 PM »
This is how I'm picturing Podaar and Stadler at the moment.

;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2016, 03:28:55 PM »
 :lol

I'm wondering if I can find me looking at my dad's turntable. I know there's a picture.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2016, 03:31:23 PM »
Would love to see that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2016, 03:48:10 PM »
I'll call my dad and see if he can find it.  Last summer for Father's Day my brother and I took my dad to see the Buddy Holly musical.  All the actors were musicians ad were fantastic!  My dad loved it.  He as singing the lead vocals in his seat and my brother and I were singing the backing vocals.

We all loved it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2016, 06:08:00 AM »
I wish I had memories like this.  As I said with my #1 pick, neither of my parents were much into music at all.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2016, 07:01:30 AM »
Those early rock 'n' roll songs are always nice to hear.

My parents listened only to classic music and everything composed after 1800 is not acknowledged as music by them. That is probably the reason why to this day I don't really like a lot of the classic stuff.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2016, 01:25:53 PM »
This thread should be renamed 7 Songs for 7 Months.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2016, 03:55:34 PM »
Yup. Sorry. My boss blew up my life. Posting soon.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2016, 04:03:40 PM »
So it was in the 70's as a 5 or 6 year old that my dad got this greatest hits on 8 track Quadraphonic. Yup that's right, dad hung 4 speakers in the lowered ceiling and cranked this next band. To this day, this is my favorite tune from this band released in 1968.  As you can tell, my dad's love for music was what sent me on my path.

https://youtu.be/y7GKblttlMY

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2016, 06:03:49 PM »
So it was in the 70's as a 5 or 6 year old that my dad got this greatest hits on 8 track Quadraphonic. Yup that's right, dad hung 4 speakers in the lowered ceiling and cranked this next band. To this day, this is my favorite tune from this band released in 1968.  As you can tell, my dad's love for music was what sent me on my path.

https://youtu.be/y7GKblttlMY

One of my favorite songs by The Doors - probably my most favorite.  Five stars for sure.  I always felt they were at their best when it was short and sweet.  I'm actually not much of a fan of their longer songs - LA Woman, Riders, The End etc...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2016, 06:07:23 PM »
I agree as well.  The shorter songs are so singable.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2016, 06:13:14 PM »
I agree as well.  The shorter songs are so singable.

Catchy as hell too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #172 on: January 29, 2016, 08:58:37 PM »
Touch Me is unique in that both verses have the exact same lyrics, but the added musical embellishments and Morrison's vocal delivery make them sound not the same.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2016, 05:16:47 AM »
Touch Me is unique in that both verses have the exact same lyrics, but the added musical embellishments and Morrison's vocal delivery make them sound not the same.

Morrison had great emotion in his vocals. The passion in this song is unreal.   

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2016, 06:18:19 AM »
The Doors are one of the bands I just never could get into. A lot of people tried to convince me but it didn't work.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D