Author Topic: 7 Songs for 7 Days  (Read 19784 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
7 Songs for 7 Days
« on: January 01, 2016, 07:30:46 AM »
So, Mason challenged me over Facebook to do this thing.  I figured I have more musical friends here than I do over FB, so I'm gonna do it here.  Rather than "challenge" someone with every entry, I'm just gonna challenge 1 person to follow in my footsteps.  And that one person is the most recent winner of my Roulette, wolfking.  When I'm done, you're up (should you so desire).

Day 1:
I’m gonna do the seven most influential songs, rather than my seven most favourite - partly because I'm not sure I could narrow it down to seven "most" favourite.  With that, I give you #7, which is the most listened to song on my last.fm listening stats, Human See Human Do.  There are a few people I consider musical genius’, and Arjen Lucassen is one of them.  A brilliant musical mind and talent.  Can never get enough of the music from his projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LYFHN17TSM
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 7 Songs for 7 Days
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 07:42:02 AM »
Very interesting pick Chad.  Was this was realy got you into prog or just a song that added to your passion for power prog?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 07:58:11 AM »
So wolfking does the same list as you once you're done since you challenged him, is that how this works?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:00:45 AM »
Very interesting pick Chad.  Was this was realy got you into prog or just a song that added to your passion for power prog?

Nah... just a song I absolutely adore.  It came out in 2011.

So wolfking does the same list as you once you're done since you challenged him, is that how this works?

That's the plan - if he wants to.  It seems to be a 'thing' on FB, but like I said, I have way many more musical friends here vs there.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 08:13:13 AM »
Great opening of the list :tup
I remember doing 30 day challenge on Facebook few years ago. There were thing like favorite song ever, least favorite song (yes, weird, I just choose song that was popular at the time but so stupid I couldn't listen second of it), song that describe me well, song off my favorite album etc. It would be great if someone would do something like it here :)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 09:02:06 AM »
Following and reading... :coolio

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 01:12:36 PM »
Following. I'm in a similar position as most of my FB friends aren't into music.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 04:03:53 PM »
Whoa, this caught me by surprise.

Alright, I'm still confused because I suck at instructions.  Do I just listen to your songs for the next seven days, comment and then do 7 of my most inspirational songs one a day?  Might take some thought, but I'll do it for sure mate, but they won't be definitive songs or anything, just 7 kick ass songs that inspired me in one way or another.

Anyway, Human See Human Do, what can you say.  Definitely one of my fav Ayreon albums, maybe my fav apart from THE but that's a killer song.  One of the best on the album for sure.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
This is a cool thread, I'll be following for sure. I'm always interested to hear about peoples most influential songs, as they are quite often not the same as their favorites. I myself would probably have maybe only one or two at most on both lists.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 05:30:44 AM »
Following

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 05:48:28 AM »
Glad there's some interest here!  Follow along, comment if you want.

Alright, I'm still confused because I suck at instructions.  Do I just listen to your songs for the next seven days, comment and then do 7 of my most inspirational songs one a day?  Might take some thought, but I'll do it for sure mate, but they won't be definitive songs or anything, just 7 kick ass songs that inspired me in one way or another.

As for you good sir, after I'm done, it's your turn to do '7 Songs for 7 Days'.  Do whatever floats your boat - favourite songs, influential songs, guitar riffs, live songs, acoustic songs ... it doesn't really matter.  Pick whatever category you want.  The trend on FB seems to be 7 "favourite" songs, but like I said, I couldn't possibly narrow it down to 7, so I'm going with the 7 songs that had/have the most impact on my musical listening life.  One a day is the goal, and you also then nominate the person to go after you.  I'm just doing quick little writeups - nothing deep.  I think it took me about 10 minutes to do the writeup for all 7 songs.  Just like a roulette, the format is completely up to the person doing it.  Main premise ... share 7 songs that are meaningful to you over a week.

And with that ....

Day 2:
I joked around here when I listened to this for the first time (it was the second song I listened to in my first Roulette), it “moved” me, in the same way that mango “moved” George Costanza - I'm not exaggerating.  It’s that good – and I could watch this video daily.  I'll forever be indebted to Nem for this one.  My favorite song of the last 10 years.

Epysode/Obesssions

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 05:51:51 AM »
Literally never heard of this 7 Days thing, but it's a cool idea to bring it here.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 06:34:59 AM »
I've tried that Epysode album a few times, but so far it hasn't done much for me.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 06:58:01 AM »
Yea i've seen this on FB but haven't gotten invited myself. Great first pick, one of my favourite Arjen albums.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 07:07:25 AM »
Awe, Chad's love for women singers in power prog. 

Both singers Chad have great vocals.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 08:20:49 AM »
Awe, Chad's love for women singers in power prog. 

There's more where that came from.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 08:27:37 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 08:29:08 AM »
I feel like I'm reliving The TAC Roulette!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 12:03:06 AM »

awesome, lets bring it back!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 03:43:52 AM »
Glad there's some interest here!  Follow along, comment if you want.

As for you good sir, after I'm done, it's your turn to do '7 Songs for 7 Days'.  Do whatever floats your boat - favourite songs, influential songs, guitar riffs, live songs, acoustic songs ... it doesn't really matter.  Pick whatever category you want.  The trend on FB seems to be 7 "favourite" songs, but like I said, I couldn't possibly narrow it down to 7, so I'm going with the 7 songs that had/have the most impact on my musical listening life.  One a day is the goal, and you also then nominate the person to go after you.  I'm just doing quick little writeups - nothing deep.  I think it took me about 10 minutes to do the writeup for all 7 songs.  Just like a roulette, the format is completely up to the person doing it.  Main premise ... share 7 songs that are meaningful to you over a week.

And with that ....

Day 2:
I joked around here when I listened to this for the first time (it was the second song I listened to in my first Roulette), it “moved” me, in the same way that mango “moved” George Costanza - I'm not exaggerating.  It’s that good – and I could watch this video daily.  I'll forever be indebted to Nem for this one.  My favorite song of the last 10 years.

Epysode/Obesssions

Cool, sounds good. 

Digging the second Epysode album but the first still is a grower.  Great stuff though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 05:06:10 AM »
Day 3

Hard to say which 'glam' song/album really got me first, but from the time between `86 and `97, Classic Rock and Glam Rock were without a doubt the primary styles of music that appealed to me.  There were a few smatterings of metal here and there (Maiden, Queensryche, Ozzy), but not much.  I had a Columbia Record club subscription (who remembers those?) and filled my CD collection with Glam Metal albums with everything from Aldo Nova to Winger.  This is one of the best from that genre, with one of my favourite solos of all time.  Sadly, the official video is an edited version, but awesome none-the-less.

Bon Jovi/Wanted Dead Or Alive

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 05:10:37 AM »
 :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 05:16:05 AM »
Fuck yea, love me some Bon Jovi
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 05:39:51 AM »
Wasn't that into the 2nd day but 3rd i'm all over! Seen Bon Jovi two times, the first time was really awesome but 2nd not so much either way he has a really nice back catalogue.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016, 05:43:48 AM »
Who didn't, as a teen play the shit out of this akbum?!  Hit after hit after hit.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 06:54:09 AM »
A huge album and a great song. Partly responsible for the explosion of hair metal which was fine by me. One of few bands from the genre to really crack the uk around this time. The likes of Quiet Riot didn't do shit here but BJ did.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 07:56:50 AM »
I enjoy early Bon Jovi and this song is definitely great.

That reminds me, I think I still owe Columbia House some cash lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 01:20:54 PM »
That reminds me, I think I still owe Columbia House some cash lol

:lol

awesome, lets bring it back!

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 08:37:48 PM »
I always disliked Bon Jovi for some reason.  Their music just never did it for me, I feel there were loads of bands that did the style better.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 02:08:20 AM »
I can't even imagine how many groupies Jon has been with

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 06:52:07 AM »
Day 4.
Sometime back in 2005 (before there was a plethora of online listening services) I was listening to some online streaming service (I think live365.com) this song came on.  Wow... the combination of operatic vocals + Marco`s coarse (but not grunge or death) vocals, pounding metal and symphonic keyboards was something I'd never experienced before.  It was also the realization that fantastic music came from all over the world, and really started my unending thirst to discover new music, leading me to the likes of Ayreon, Angra, Vanden Plas, Circus Maximus, and many more.

Oh, and this live version kicks all kinds of ass.

Planet Hell

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2016, 07:00:19 AM »
I didn't know that the Morton Salt lady used to be in Nightwish.

Are these seven songs in order of least to most influential?

Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2016, 07:07:18 AM »
Are these seven songs in order of least to most influential?

Yes.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2016, 10:15:37 AM »
I used to listen to that song all the time back when I started listening to metal. But also, I was never fan of Nightwish nor that type of metal. Still, kick ass song :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2016, 02:28:01 PM »
I'm not a huge Nightwish fan but I do quite love Once.