Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 105619 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. FINAL ROUND COMMENCED
« Reply #1435 on: April 28, 2016, 01:43:29 PM »
I'm rooting for the Ruskie.  He's done the metal-heads proud, and I'd like to see him bring home the trophy for 'team-metal'!   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1436 on: April 28, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
my metal was too metal for this roulette tho

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1437 on: April 28, 2016, 01:49:23 PM »

Your metal was too GJSDKLFHJSKLDRNSKDLRTJSKDL for this roulette
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1438 on: April 28, 2016, 01:54:32 PM »
underachiever was probably a bad idea in hindsight because I adore it but also it's way intense yeah

Offline 425

« Reply #1439 on: April 28, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »

Your metal was too GJSDKLFHJSKLDRNSKDLRTJSKDL for this roulette

Splent getting in some quality banter now that he's revealed himself. :lol

425, I have some songs that I couldn't send on this roulette because they where banned by at least one judge but not you, can I send you a few post-roulette bonus tracks? :P

Yeah, sure, so long as they're not too glitchy! :P
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1440 on: April 28, 2016, 03:06:10 PM »
I don't think there's anything particular glitchy on my banned list, so...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1441 on: April 28, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »
Ok now I have to make an EP or mini album out of 72 songs, should be fun :P

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1442 on: April 28, 2016, 04:04:44 PM »
Save some for my roulette Sacul  :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1443 on: April 28, 2016, 04:06:51 PM »
I'm sending mathcore in your roulette splent

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: April 28, 2016, 04:29:16 PM »
That's why I'm only sending it to 425 ;)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1445 on: April 28, 2016, 07:01:46 PM »
That's why I'm only sending it to 425 ;)

Careful, if he plays, he could cockblock you ;)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1446 on: April 28, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »
I hope he doesn't :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1447 on: April 28, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »
I'm rooting for the Ruskie.  He's done the metal-heads proud, and I'd like to see him bring home the trophy for 'team-metal'!   :lol

My thoughts exactly!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION (finally)
« Reply #1448 on: April 28, 2016, 10:30:59 PM »
Well I'm glad that this is finally over, and I'm very glad that I decided not to do this annually. :lol Here are the final results!

So, congratulations to Sacul for winning the 2016 Roulette Championship! :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION
« Reply #1449 on: April 28, 2016, 10:32:55 PM »
this feels pretty controversial tbh

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1450 on: April 28, 2016, 10:51:51 PM »
What the actual fuck...  :o :eek

:2metal: :caffeine: :2metal:

Damn, only one point, that was damn close Ev - I had already lost any hopes of winning after reading the writeups, but seems I didn't do that bad :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: April 28, 2016, 10:55:44 PM »
So I was exactly right before the final round, saying the difference in the scores won't make it possible for me to win. Interesting how we both got the same score from 425. If not for splent, I would've gained only 0.5 points more than Sacul. :lol

Edit: oh wait, I suck at comprehending. I was looking at the Tier 4 scores. I blame 8 A.M. :lol

Well, congrats Sacul. :tup That was fun but it's definitely the last time I play this format. Gonna stick to playing with judges that don't rank a mess of the 36-minutes instrumental song equal with lovely Joan Baez tunes that I know I can impress with my songs.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1452 on: April 28, 2016, 11:17:17 PM »
I'd be willing to have any of the three judges back again for another championship (even splent, most of his issues seemed to be either technical or related to the time of year), but not all three at the same time - I intend to mix it up and have different people judging. I also have some ideas already for the next two championships to spice things up and fix some of the perceived problems. So don't write off the format just yet.

I should thank my three judges for volunteering, and for doing all of the hard work in this. :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1453 on: April 28, 2016, 11:18:48 PM »
honestly, i'd love to be a judge for this next time around
(i won't win a roulette and even if i do i'm not joining one of these again so  :lol )

Offline 425

« Reply #1454 on: April 28, 2016, 11:23:25 PM »
Evermind, I know you probably don't care, but I would have called Sacul's song a mess, too, after just one listen. It really came together on subsequent listens, discounting the first 3 minutes, which I still am not keen on.

I knew you wouldn't be happy that I spotted you only a half point instead of a full point as you were expecting. I feel strongly that your song was the better one, but I also feel strongly that 8.5 and 9 are the correct scores for the two songs in question. At least Tyrias made it so it's not only my fault, and so it wasn't a half-point margin, leaving a chance for you to play in my V2 when that happens in 2073. Also, I will casually draw your attention to the grand total, in which I am the judge who gave you the more points than anyone in the roulette, and therefore the one who made it this close. All in hopes of you not hating me, naturally. As before, I appreciate your submissions—I will definitely be checking Joan Baez, Blind Guardian, Fish, Amadeus Awad, Mark Knopfler, Jethro Tull, Absolute Priority and David Gilmour. And I've already checked Avantasia. And I'll probably get Roger Waters' album because that song won't leave my head even though I dislike it lyrically. So basically almost everything you sent. Damn, your performance was consistent! Thanks for playing!

Nekov, I'm sure it's disappointing to make it this far and then drop behind in the finals. Though I may not have been as keen on your later submissions, you sent some of my favorite songs of the whole thing in the first tier. Hammock-Dream the Electric Sheep-Pure Reason Revolution was probably the best performance by a contestant on a single tier as far as I'm concerned. I'll definitely check all those artists, as well as several others of yours: Lights & Motion, Faunts, Nordic Giants, Papadosio and probably Subsignal, actually. Thanks for playing!

Sacul, congratulations on your big win! You and I don't always see eye-to-eye, but in this case you got me just enough of the time to collect the points needed to get the win. When you get into those atmospheric and emotional songs, that's when you and I can get along and enjoy the same thing, and you finally got onto a groove of those, really from round 7 onward: Saltillo, Alt-J, Bowie, Florence + The Machine and, despite the glitches, Kashiwa Daisuke. These are all artists I'll check out, plus Lord Huron and probably Riverside via their latest. Thanks for playing, obviously, and congratulations!

I'll probably do a thing tomorrow where I list my favorite songs of the roulette, maybe do rankings of each person's submissions, that sort of thing. Should be fun.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1455 on: April 28, 2016, 11:26:32 PM »
nooo check out adhd from riverside not their latest

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: April 28, 2016, 11:29:52 PM »
It's been a pleasure to play with you djentlemen, you all rocked  :metal

Thanks Bolsters for running this, even if it took almost 5 months :lol

I'd play another of these anyways. Or be a judge :neverusethis:

Don't listen to Parama, check their last one. Then go backwards into their discography ;)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1457 on: April 28, 2016, 11:31:18 PM »

Love, Fear and the Time Machine >>>>> ADHD

Offline 425

« Reply #1458 on: April 28, 2016, 11:31:29 PM »

I've already (in Sacul terms) meh'd two songs from that album. The first two tracks, in fact. I thought they both had good elements and showed promise but I wasn't too keen on some things, including some of the stylistic elements (which is what makes me think, maybe a different album). Sacul, as it turns out, just sent me another Riverside song in his post-roulette album, so I'll be checking out that one next from them.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1459 on: April 28, 2016, 11:36:54 PM »
i can't believe how wrong you all are

i dunno love, fear, and everything else under the song was like, the most average of average releases for me. generally alright, about two pretty good but not amazing tracks, and zero staying power

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1460 on: April 29, 2016, 01:32:56 AM »
Dunno about Love, Fear and the Time Machine yet but I was pretty underwhelmed with ADHD, I liked the first two songs but it got significantly harder to pay attention as the album went on.

Oh and congrats to Lucas of course, did NOT expect this, I can't believe that Daisuke song got the scores it did - but what do I know, maybe it gets better on consecutive listens.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1461 on: April 29, 2016, 01:39:59 AM »
Dunno about Love, Fear and the Time Machine yet but I was pretty underwhelmed with ADHD, I liked the first two songs but it got significantly harder to pay attention as the album went on.
you had this problem with the apologist too which leads me to believe you're not giving yourself the best listening conditions, tbh  :lol
i'll admit that the first 6 tracks of the apologist are probably slightly better than the last 6 but adhd basically gets better with every single track, and it starts out great to begin with

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1462 on: April 29, 2016, 01:41:04 AM »
Oh, it does get better. On my first listen I basically thought "wtf is this". Probably did not help that I was slightly hungover when I did my first listen.

And congrats to Sacul on his win. Honestly, by the last round I was kind of rooting for you because you took such a big risk. It ended up being pretty close in the end, though.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1463 on: April 29, 2016, 01:45:45 AM »
you had this problem with the apologist too which leads me to believe you're not giving yourself the best listening conditions, tbh  :lol
i'll admit that the first 6 tracks of the apologist are probably slightly better than the last 6 but adhd basically gets better with every single track, and it starts out great to begin with

That's actually pretty coincidental, I don't think it happened anywhere else except for those two albums recently. And that includes tons of crazy stuff I would normally lose my attention with if I wasn't dedicated to it like One Of Us Is The Killer by The Dillinger Escape Plan. I really try man :'(
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1464 on: April 29, 2016, 01:47:54 AM »
i mean, both the apologist and adhd are prob top 10 albums for me so yeah it's all your fault  :corn

why am i awake

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1465 on: April 29, 2016, 02:57:17 AM »
Oh wait, turns out I wasn't Mr. Red after all :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1466 on: April 29, 2016, 06:29:07 AM »
Congrats Sacul!!!!!  :tup :tup :tup :tup

Nekov, I'm sure it's disappointing to make it this far and then drop behind in the finals. Though I may not have been as keen on your later submissions, you sent some of my favorite songs of the whole thing in the first tier. Hammock-Dream the Electric Sheep-Pure Reason Revolution was probably the best performance by a contestant on a single tier as far as I'm concerned. I'll definitely check all those artists, as well as several others of yours: Lights & Motion, Faunts, Nordic Giants, Papadosio and probably Subsignal, actually. Thanks for playing!

Well yeah, it was a bit disappointing but I knew it could happen, it's not easy to satisfy 3 people for so long specially when some of my favorite bands were banned and it's not the first time I fall short in the last few rounds in a roulette so it's all good. I'm glad you enjoyed the music so much and that you plan on checking all those bands, you have tons of new music to discover and that is always amazing  :smiley:

Love, Fear and the Time Machine >>>>> ADHD

I agree with this 100%
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1467 on: April 29, 2016, 06:40:58 AM »
I'd be willing to have any of the three judges back again for another championship (even splent, most of his issues seemed to be either technical or related to the time of year), but not all three at the same time - I intend to mix it up and have different people judging. I also have some ideas already for the next two championships to spice things up and fix some of the perceived problems. So don't write off the format just yet.

I should thank my three judges for volunteering, and for doing all of the hard work in this. :tup

Yes, it's true. April was a really busy month for me, I had a concert after concert after concert, and so I was not able to devote as much time as I would like to listen to some of the songs throughout the end of March into April. Also, with my computer crapping out, and then Sacul's song not being able to be played on my phone until I downloaded it to my Google Drive, I couldn't listen to it effectively, because I usually listen in the car.  Theoretically, I could have sat down to listen to it in headphones at home, but with a five-year-old demands your attention every five seconds, that's nearly impossible.

Anyways, congrats Sacul  on winning the championship, and congrats to the other two for making it to the finals. This was a lot of fun, and I would love to do this again.

And don't worry, my banned list will be much longer for my roulette :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #1468 on: April 29, 2016, 08:34:57 AM »
Oh and congrats to Lucas of course, did NOT expect this, I can't believe that Daisuke song got the scores it did - but what do I know, maybe it gets better on consecutive listens.

It does. First listen, I was thinking "I can see this getting a 6 at most." But it really does get a lot better the more you listen to it.

You're welcome, and thank you for bringing me in for this. I probably will take a pass on the next one; I already have so much new music from my solo roulette plus this that I'll just be overwhelmed if I do another one so soon. I may change my mind though, who knows. But it would definitely be interesting to see one of us do the next one along with two new judges.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: April 29, 2016, 08:51:44 AM »
So, do I have a free pass into the the next championship? Just curious :P