Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 105689 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. FINAL ROUND COMMENCED
« Reply #1330 on: April 26, 2016, 11:58:34 AM »
well, the middle is obvious but the other two could be either or

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: April 26, 2016, 11:59:40 AM »
Well I doubt you liked the five seconds of synths in Nekov's song that much, though I guess anything could happen at this point. First five seconds off Sacul song is four keyboard notes, so I guess that's off the table too? Which means this one could be mine. I hope it is. I referred to my song as "Tyrias' awesome song" in my head. :lol

So I'd say my song is the first, Sacul's is the second and Nekov's the third. Which means it's probably not the case, I tend to get tidbits wrong.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:14:55 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: April 26, 2016, 12:13:41 PM »
Well I doubt you liked the five seconds of synths in Nekov's song that much, thought I guess anything could happen at this point. First five seconds off Sacul song is four keyboard notes, so I guess that's off the table too? Which means this one could be mine. I hope it is. I referred to my song as "Tyrias' awesome song" in my head. :lol

So I'd say my song is the first, Sacul's is the second and Nekov's the third. Which means it's probably not the case, I tend to get tidbits wrong.

Agree with that order.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1333 on: April 26, 2016, 12:14:03 PM »
Dunno, I think Stella is anything but background music, even if it is for contemplating deep topics - I personally have to be very immersed into the piece, otherwise it doesn't work for me. So I hope the first writeup is mine, but wouldn't surprise me if it is the last one :lol

Had it been released earlier, I'd have sent Daisuke's City in the Lake from the sequel to that album, Program Music II - probably my favourite song of the year so far. Oh well :P

Offline 425

« Reply #1334 on: April 26, 2016, 12:22:47 PM »
Dunno, I think Stella is anything but background music, even if it is for contemplating deep topics - I personally have to be very immersed into the piece, otherwise it doesn't work for me.

I mean, it is a 36-minute instrumental.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1335 on: April 26, 2016, 12:23:16 PM »
I sent one of my favorite songs of the year too, didn't turn out too well :lol And I'm probably not going to send my #1 song of the year so far because it's Deftones and I'd rather not send Deftones at all to be honest
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: April 26, 2016, 12:30:34 PM »
Dunno, I think Stella is anything but background music, even if it is for contemplating deep topics - I personally have to be very immersed into the piece, otherwise it doesn't work for me.

I mean, it is a 36-minute instrumental.
  :angel:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1337 on: April 26, 2016, 12:36:26 PM »
maybe I'll send bing satellites in a roulette someday

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1338 on: April 26, 2016, 01:09:19 PM »
Well I doubt you liked the five seconds of synths in Nekov's song that much, though I guess anything could happen at this point. First five seconds off Sacul song is four keyboard notes, so I guess that's off the table too? Which means this one could be mine. I hope it is. I referred to my song as "Tyrias' awesome song" in my head. :lol

Just throwing in that the weird glitches in Sacul's song only appear after the first 5 seconds. And don't take that 5 seconds to literally, it's more like "the first moments".

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: April 27, 2016, 10:57:02 AM »
IT'S WEDNESDAY ALREADY WHY ARE THERE NO RESULTS OMG YOU LAZY JUDGES!!!!

:vomitard:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: April 27, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »
I'm nervous and I'm not sure I want to see the results anymore. :lol

Offline 425

Roadrunner Records
« Reply #1341 on: April 27, 2016, 11:15:20 AM »
:soon:

But seriously, about 3 hours? I have class soon, and I want to get in one more listen as I do the writeups. And also I have to decide what the scores are going to be, still don't know those yet. :lol
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: April 27, 2016, 11:25:17 AM »
3 hours? Damn, I'm going to sleep in two hours I think. Not sure if I can handle three.

And if I wake up and see my song got a low score, the working day will be ruined for me. :biggrin:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1343 on: April 27, 2016, 11:45:25 AM »
3 hours? Damn, I'm going to sleep in two hours I think. Not sure if I can handle three.

And if I wake up and see my song got a low score, the working day will be ruined for me. :biggrin:

You have a third option, which is not looking at the results until you finish your work day tomorrow though you'll probably have an anxiety attack somewhere in the middle  :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: April 27, 2016, 11:46:27 AM »

You have a third option, which is not looking at the results until you finish your work day tomorrow though you'll probably have an anxiety attack somewhere in the middle  :lol

Yeah, that's why it's not an option. :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #1345 on: April 27, 2016, 11:46:57 AM »
Never mind, I'm working on writeups now. I just started Sacul's song and I'll post as soon as it ends. So like four days from now.

Can't control what the others do, but at least you'll have from me tonight, Evermind.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: April 27, 2016, 11:48:36 AM »
Nice! If my song scores low, I probably won't be able to sleep.

Who am I kidding though, getting up at 5 A.M. or earlier makes me falling asleep almost instantly every time my head hits the pillow in the evening. I'll be fine. :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: April 27, 2016, 11:53:48 AM »
I'm nervous and I'm not sure I want to see the results anymore. :lol

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1348 on: April 27, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »
I'll probably start writing my write-ups tonight, but I'm not sure if (1) I'll be able to finish them (2) if I want to post them so close to 425's results. It's much more exciting if things are going on a bit longer. Also, there's Mr Red's reveal as well in the next hours, if he keeps up his plan of posting results today, so that should give enough information for discussion for a few hours.

And I'm thinking a normal write-up doesn't quite do justice to Sacul's song, with the whole it-being-36-minutes-long-and-an-instrumental thing going on, so I'm planning something special.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: April 27, 2016, 12:05:38 PM »
And I'm thinking a normal write-up doesn't quite do justice to Sacul's song, with the whole it-being-36-minutes-long-and-an-instrumental thing going on, so I'm planning something special.

I think since it's a Sacul song it deserves a Sacul-styled write-up.

Sacul: Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella

Meh. Honestly, this song sucked. 2.5/10

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1350 on: April 27, 2016, 12:08:05 PM »
Nah, I think to fit the song, the writeup must be similar to it.

So you should write a big wall of text in chinese or something to reflect the song, because it's an enormous song that's virtualiy not understandable.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: April 27, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »
Japanese I think.

Okay, I think I'll grab another beer while I'm waiting. Come on 425.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: April 27, 2016, 12:10:08 PM »
I promise longer write-ups on my v3 :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #1353 on: April 27, 2016, 12:19:27 PM »
Here they are.

Evermind: Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust

I have little doubt that this is the song that Tyrias was talking about when he said he loved it from the first five seconds. If it’s one of the other two, I’ll be very surprised. Because that’s exactly how I feel about this song. The first five seconds in themselves are such an amazing introduction that lead so well into the main instrumental motif of the song, which is also really good. The guitar and piano here certainly aren’t the main focus, but they’re really good and quite interesting, particularly by the standards of a song like this.

Her voice, of course, is the main attraction, and she has a spectacular voice. Just really beautiful and versatile, stylistically and emotionally. Evermind, you said this:

Quote from: Evermind
425, I think this song will connect with you too. I know this is no Susanne Sundfor, but I swear, Joan Baez is a better singer for me, and the whole song is so strong in both instrumental and vocal melodies and vocals department it's ridiculous. Also, remember how you didn't like the lyrics in Roger Waters song in Round 4 so you even took away some points from me? Well, maybe this song will make you give me some additional points for the lyrics instead. I think Joan's a great lyricist and this is one of her finest works.

I can’t disagree with any of this (well, except the very last part—I can’t comment since I don’t know her other works). This is a really strong song that I like quite a bit. It’s my favorite of this round. Whether that’s enough to win the roulette, I do not know, and that’s 67% out of my hands, anyway. But you won the round as far as I’m concerned.

Nekov: Subsignal - The Size of Light on Earth

So here’s a pretty nice prog rock song. I think this is a good song that has several things going for it. The vocalist is good, he manages to have a high voice that is still pretty warm and emotional. There is a nice, uplfiting-sounding chorus which is memorable and pleasant.

The instrumentation is solid, I like the synths which are the main focus of the song, and I think the guitars do exactly what they should do in a synth-heavy prog rock song. There’s a solid musical progression through the song that takes it to a solid climax.

In short, this is a good song; I have no complaints about it whatsoever. There’s a good chorus that I like quite a bit. But at the same time, it doesn’t cross that line from good into great. I do like this song a fair bit, but I’m afraid it’s just not going to be enough to win the round.

This is such a Sacul thing to send it’s crazy. This is like the epitome of, as Evermind eloquently put it, “Zantera / Sacul music.” Which means no one has any idea how well I will like it, since sometimes I give Sacul really good scores and sometimes I’ll, to use Sacul’s term, “meh” them. And I’ve been trying to keep it vague how I feel about this song. One reason for that is supense, and the other is that I don’t quite know myself. But let’s dive in.

Okay, the first three minutes are supremely obnoxious. The glitches are so unnecessary and so unhelpful. The song will get going on some very nice track, with a string part or a guitar melody, and then boop bzzt fjflahghalgh it jumps over into something else. It kind of drove me just a little bit crazy the first few times how it doesn’t ever stick with something. Or at least transition to other things without the glitching. I’m sorry, Sacul, but I don’t think I’ll ever appreciate glitching. Why do they do this?

And unfortunately, the glitching doesn’t entirely go away after the first few minutes. It keeps cropping up at various intervals throughout the song, usually when the music has been going on a pretty melody for a while, there’s a glitch. I don’t really appreciate it. I don’t see why the composer would break through a sequence of beautiful music to make it sound like my headphones have been damaged.

So that’s the expected rant about glitching.

On the other hand, this song has a lot going for it. There are a ton of beautiful melodies that really draw me in. I can see what Sacul loves so much about this. There are so many different instruments: strings, piano, drums, guitar. And it goes through so many different sections, so many different moods. There’s so much to take in.

Which is part of the problem of sending this in a roulette. It’s like Parama sending Light of Day, Day of Darkness. It’s just too much for me to really get a handle on what all is going on within a reasonable time span for a roulette round.

Here’s the deal with this one. This is like Evermind’s Roger Waters entry with the lyrics. There is a lot that I love in this song, but it’s also somewhat marred by the glitching. Asking me to score this is like asking me to score a beautiful painting after tossing splotches of paint haphazardly on it. And I only have 45 seconds after first looking at it come up with a score. I don’t know how to score that. I don’t know how to score that at all. And yet I came up with a score. So there you go.

But really, I like very much a lot about this piece. I just wish there was a version where the intro made sense and all the glitching was removed. I know you don’t, Sacul, because I know you like that stuff. But honestly, this would be a very high scoring song for me if not for those glaring problems. Not only that, it would probably be a song that I would really love and come back to frequently, that I will listen to much less frequently because of those issues. But I still genuinely like it in spite of everything. So take that as you will.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: April 27, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »
But you liked the lyrics, right?

And, phew, well, as much I as had doubts about my song - I still have them, you know - I was almost sure 425 of all people will like it. My prediction about the scores: 9.5 (or 9) for my song, 8 or 8.5 for Nekov's, 7 or 7.5 for Sacul's.

Alright, can't walk past this too:

There are so many different instruments: strings, piano, drums, guitar.

Hahahaha. Damn, you know, I can send you a lot of songs with so many different instruments you'll be amazed. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1355 on: April 27, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »
I'm just spamming the refresh button to find out if Mr. Red shows up at the "users viewing this thread" when he is about to post the results :laugh: I'm really curious.

This is kinda what I expected from 425's results even though I haven't heard a note of Ruslan's and Nekov's songs, I don't know if Sacul will get away with it so easily with the other judges, even though this wasn't good enough to win either.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: April 27, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »
Alright I just can't stop.

This is like Evermind’s Roger Waters entry with the lyrics.

It really isn't. :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: April 27, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »
Yup, expected this :P

If you want something similar but without the glitches, check the sequel to that album, Program Music II. Came out this weekend and it's probably my AOTY with just two spins so far. Really beautiful album, with only real instruments. I recommend it to all of you  :smiley:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: April 27, 2016, 01:08:07 PM »

Evermind is going for the win...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: April 27, 2016, 01:09:57 PM »

Evermind is going for the win...

Wait until Mr. Red smashes all my hopes to the ground. :lol

Also, 425, sent you a PM regarding Joan Baez. Now I'll just go and get some sleep.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1360 on: April 27, 2016, 01:25:51 PM »
Ok, so I'm doing my write-ups now, but I'm sticking with my earlier plan of not releasing them today.

Meanwhile, have some information about Mr. Red's identity:

One or more of the pieces of information we gave you about his identity was/were an outright lie. I'm not saying which one(s), though.

Offline 425

« Reply #1361 on: April 27, 2016, 01:36:47 PM »
But you liked the lyrics, right?

Yes.

And, phew, well, as much I as had doubts about my song - I still have them, you know - I was almost sure 425 of all people will like it. My prediction about the scores: 9.5 (or 9) for my song, 8 or 8.5 for Nekov's, 7 or 7.5 for Sacul's.

No.

Alright, can't walk past this too:

There are so many different instruments: strings, piano, drums, guitar.

Hahahaha. Damn, you know, I can send you a lot of songs with so many different instruments you'll be amazed. :lol

I'm silly. Made sense in my head. :lol

Alright I just can't stop.

This is like Evermind’s Roger Waters entry with the lyrics.

It really isn't. :lol

It's like that in the sense that I really liked that song in all ways except the lyrics. I really like Sacul's song in all ways except the glitches.

If you want something similar but without the glitches, check the sequel to that album, Program Music II. Came out this weekend and it's probably my AOTY with just two spins so far. Really beautiful album, with only real instruments. I recommend it to all of you  :smiley:

Will 100% for sure check that. Because that song without the glitches would be excellent.

EDIT: I feel like my Sacul writeup may have overestimated the role that the glitches played in my score, just based on people's reactions... I probably liked that song better than any of the people who listened to it once and gave their reactions in this thread. Which makes sense, because I listened to it four times and they only heard it once. I just want to be clear about how big a role the glitches played, which was notable but not massive, because the rest of the song was really good. As inordinately long instrumentals go, way ahead of Three Minute Warning.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1362 on: April 27, 2016, 01:39:25 PM »
Ok, so I'm doing my write-ups now, but I'm sticking with my earlier plan of not releasing them today.

Meanwhile, have some information about Mr. Red's identity:

One or more of the pieces of information we gave you about his identity was/were an outright lie. I'm not saying which one(s), though.
it's

bolsters

Offline 425

« Reply #1363 on: April 27, 2016, 01:42:48 PM »
It's not Bolsters.

Or is it?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1364 on: April 27, 2016, 01:42:54 PM »
Yeah right. Maybe Bolsters when he was an 8-year old, that banned list is like 1/20 of his current one :lol