Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 105648 times)

Offline Tyrias

Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. Round 8 Underway
« Reply #910 on: March 25, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »
Jusz listened to Get Got by death grips and this is so HIPSTER you basically have to write HIPSTER in all capital to do the amount of HIPSTERNESS in there justice.

How can I tell?  I have no idea if I enjoyed it or not :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: March 28, 2016, 07:48:55 PM »
Almost went to the 2nd page. This thread needs moore activity.
Activity meaning results
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R7 results part 3/3, send R8 songs NOW
« Reply #912 on: March 28, 2016, 10:49:07 PM »
Let's have a little throwback, shall we? ;)

Sacul

This was the best EP I received. A spectacular set of songs and a very good running order. Well done.

Score: 20.0 + 0.5 bonus = 20.5

Final Standings:
  1. Scorpion - 81.5
T2. Sacul - 81.0
Now I understand bands that, despite making lots of efforts, can't seem to top their past efforts  :'(

Jusz listened to Get Got by death grips and this is so HIPSTER you basically have to write HIPSTER in all capital to do the amount of HIPSTERNESS in there justice.

How can I tell?  I have no idea if I enjoyed it or not :lol
Oh yes, that album is fedora-core stuff :P

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. Sign up now!
« Reply #913 on: March 28, 2016, 10:58:07 PM »
I've just updated the banned list with the following:

Alt-J
David Gray
Galahad
Papadosio
Rishloo

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: March 29, 2016, 12:16:19 AM »
I wonder what Rishloo song was sent  :corn

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #915 on: March 29, 2016, 06:12:17 AM »
You can expect results from me tomorrow evening or afternoon, I feel like I still need to listen to the songs more because they're still kind of blurry in my mind.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #916 on: March 29, 2016, 08:52:54 AM »
Hm, I wonder who sent David Gray.

:neverusethis:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #917 on: March 30, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »
As promised, Round 5 results are here.

senecadawg2      David Gray - "Shine" (Live)      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAIcMg8zz6k
You got really lucky with this one. I’m not sure if I’d enjoy this song as much if it weren’t beginning of spring. But it is, and this just perfectly captures the feeling when it finally gets sort of warm-ish, there’s sun outside and you can finally go out without a jacket again. It’s that butterflies-in-your-stomach feeling you get when you’re happy about life in general, and can’t really pinpoint what exactly you’re happy about.
Musically, this is definitely the most simple song this round, just a man with his guitar. Nevertheless, it does so much more for me on an emotional level than anything else this round and is the clear winner here. I’m not sure why I never checked out David Gray after you send me a song of him in my last roulette (I remember really liking it), but I’ll have to remedy that now.

Evermind      Galahad - Empires Never Last
My first few listens of this were so underwhelming. Basically I started listening  to the son, thought ‘that’s a cool bass line’, zoned out, then there were a few heavier moments a few minutes later and there was some kind of chorus that I couldn’t really recall. But otherwise nothing stuck with me.
That said, it’s still not amazing, but it grew on me a bit. The chorus is actually kind of catchy, and while I don’t remember anything in particular a few minutes after finishing the song (well, except for the chorus), I enjoy listening to it quite a bit. It’s just a bit lacking in the melody department, but it plays around nicely with dynamics and the heavier parts near the end are really cool.

Sacul      Alt-J - Taro
You guessed right, this is the most hipster song of the roulette so far. No surprise that you sent it. Hipster doesn’t mean bad though, as this one is quite enjoyable. It has a nice atmosphere, relatively happy. Nothing here really stands out except for that weird djinga-djinga string instrument part that gets repeated a few times (mostly in the second half) and seems to come out of nowhere, but for some reason fits amazingly well. I love how happy that sounds. And then there are the obligatory hipster crowd-hey-shouts. They seem a bit ridiculous, but not enough so that I would really mind them. So overall, nice song, one of the stronger ones this round.

Scorpion      Rishloo - Downhill
For my first few listens, this was about as underwhelming as Evermind’s song. It grew on me a bit with further listens, though. It suffers from the same problem, though: The melodies are not particularly memorable, and while I enjoy it quite a bit while listening to it, I’ll never remember anything about it after finishing.
Stilistically, this is pretty much progressive rock with a bit of a more accessible side. I think I prefer the second part to the first, my favourite part being the last 2 minutes when it gets more busy and the vocals become rougher. That’s what pushes it up half a point from the score I was originally going to give.

Nekov      Papadosio - Direction Song
Well, first let me say that I think the title of this song is really stupid. Yes, we got that it’s a song, you don’t need to spell it out in the title, thank you.
Other than the title, this is largely driven by electronics, though not in a dancy way, closer to ambient with a bit more going on. Overall, I’d say it’s good, has a nice atmosphere. It’s good to listen to, but I don’t think I would ever feel the need to turn it on and actually sit down and listen to this. I imagine it could be nice background music for some less mentally demanding work, but that’s about it.

Overall, I'd say this was one of the weaker rounds, but still I enjoyed it quite a bit. Also, looking at the standings and adding my scores, it gets really tight here in some places. I'm curious what Red and 425 will have to say.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: March 30, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »
Um, really, I guess it's either a tastes thing or you just didn't pay enough attention. I've sent this song in roulettes before, and while some people said they thought the song kind of dragged, and other people said they liked it a lot, I thought there was a general agreement the vocal melodies were by far the most memorable part of this song.

Hell, I've re-listened to this tune before I sent it here, and I'm humming the melodies of this song ever since. The chorus is such an earworm. I hope the other judges will agree with me.

Basically I started listening  to the son, thought ‘that’s a cool bass line’, zoned out, then there were a few heavier moments a few minutes later and there was some kind of chorus that I couldn’t really recall. But otherwise nothing stuck with me.

Your son probably took all the attention, you should've focused on the actual tune I sent you. :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:06:40 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #919 on: March 30, 2016, 02:03:48 PM »
I don't even have a son, or any kids for that matter :lol. Typos are a bitch, especially when the result is till a correct word and it's not flagged as a mistake.

It might have also been that there were just some more catchy melodies in this round, so I remembered those instead of your song :P.

In other news, I just checked David Gray's discography and it's kind of daunting, I have no idea where to start. Any tips, seneca? ::)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: March 30, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »
Well, different strokes for different folks I guess. I think both the verses and the chorus are super-catchy. That's why I loved that song in the first place.

I'm not Nelson, but let me guess... start with A Century Ends. :biggrin:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: March 30, 2016, 02:07:32 PM »
Yeah, I know this wasn't the best choice but it's getting increasingly hard to finds things to send and not being repetitive. All judges have enjoyed the post rock songs I've sent I have some more bands I could use but again, I'm trying to have some variety. Of course, if the other judges also have a negative review I'll go back to sending post-rock because I really want to win this thing  :lol

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #922 on: March 30, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »
Typos are a bitch, especially when the result is till a correct word and it's not flagged as a mistake.

Irony is when you write a sentence about making typos and then 5 minutes later you realize there's a typo in it :lol.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: March 30, 2016, 02:19:10 PM »
Since we're at it don't you want to review the scores you gave in case you made a typo?  :P

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #924 on: March 30, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »
I'm actually pretty sure of my scores this time around  ::).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #925 on: March 30, 2016, 03:07:59 PM »
this is my direction song
take back my complexion song
prove I'm all injection song

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #926 on: March 30, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »
It's that Brahmatron song

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #927 on: March 30, 2016, 04:27:58 PM »
Hm, I wonder who sent David Gray.

:neverusethis:

You sly dog you.

Glad you enjoyed the song Mr. Tyrias! I'd forgotten that I ever sent you a David Gray song in your first roulette, but I guess no harm no foul  ;)

As for recommendations... I once sent El Scorpio an essay on this topic. To spare you the that I robbed from him, I'll just give you my personal ranking. Year of release included, so that you can see it's not at all a matter of improving (or degrading) over time.

Life in Slow Motion (2005)
Flesh (1994)
A Century Ends (1993)
White Ladder (1998)
A New Day at Midnight (2002)
Sell, Sell, Sell (1996)
Foundling (2010)
Draw the Line (2009)
Lost Songs (released in 2001 but actually a compilation album of songs written and performed between '95 and '98)
Mutineers (2014)

For more of the same--Shine and the like--you'll probably be best suited with A Century Ends (Ruslan knows what's up) or Flesh. I prefer Flesh by the smallest amount, but both are worth a listen. I prefer Life in Slow Motion to both of them, again by the smallest amount, but that has a different feel altogether. He's working with a full band, more expansive sound, some electronics and an overall more-polished production (also, much more Pop oriented and piano-driven).
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: March 30, 2016, 05:15:24 PM »
*tips fedora*

:hat

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #929 on: March 30, 2016, 11:44:05 PM »
Dammit. I don't see how that song is boring at all, but oh well. Tastes and all that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: March 31, 2016, 04:23:43 AM »
I hope you listened to my song with that hi-fi system of yours, Tyrias ;)

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #931 on: March 31, 2016, 06:09:35 AM »
I hope you listened to my song with that hi-fi system of yours, Tyrias ;)

nope, wasn't accessible. Listened over my computer speakers (which are still decent) and good headphones. I don't think it would change my appreciation for the song, though.

Dammit. I don't see how that song is boring at all, but oh well. Tastes and all that.

If it's any consolation, I can see the other judges liking it more than I did.

@seneca: I downloaded Life in Slow Motion and A Century Ends, will report back once I find time to listen.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #932 on: March 31, 2016, 07:54:28 AM »
I downloaded Life in Slow Motion and A Century Ends, will report back once I find time to listen.

:tup :tup
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Tyrias

Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. Round 8 Results, part 1/3
« Reply #933 on: April 02, 2016, 03:38:19 AM »
So, how are the other judges coming along?

Offline 425

Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. Round 8 Results, part 1/3
« Reply #934 on: April 02, 2016, 02:56:59 PM »
Hi, everybody, sorry about the delay. If you check my forum activity, you can see that I've been pretty inactive the past few days and the Iron Maiden survivor has fallen by the wayside. The past few days have been unexpectedly busy and unexpectedly rough for me (nothing too awful, just mental friendship issues and mental health stuff), so I haven't had the time or interest to go on DTF. But now that it's the weekend, I can take some time off and catch up on the roulette.

I listened once on Tuesday, I think, and since I wasn't in a good place then, I didn't really enjoy the songs that much at the time. I'm listening for a second time right now and liking them a lot better. I'm going to go ahead and peg tomorrow night as the likely time for results. I want to listen twice more, so that'll be either tonight or tomorrow morning plus tomorrow night when I do the writeups and scores.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline 425

« Reply #935 on: April 04, 2016, 06:00:59 PM »
I lied. Didn't happen yesterday. Happening now.

Overall, I'd say this was one of the weaker rounds, but still I enjoyed it quite a bit.

This is exactly what I thought about this round. Though the average quality was pretty good, there wasn't anything that really comes close to being a standout here. That's reflected in the fact that the highest score of this round is the second-lowest top round score that I've given (if you adjust the scale, obviously).

That said, I did like everything here. The result is that things are pretty tight in my scores, but since the standings are pretty tight as well, these could end up making a difference.

Evermind: Galahad - Empires Never Last

Here is a lengthy prog metal song that I like a fair bit. This one develops a bit slowly, which is fine, because there’s some good instrumentation at the beginning. It’s maybe drawn out a little too slowly, but I enjoy the synths that are played during the intro, so it’s not a huge detractor.

This round featured singers from a few different styles, but I think I was really positive on every single one of them. This guy may not be extraordinary, but I’d say I like his style and tone better than that of a lot of prog metal singers. He does well on the nice big choruses that this song has, which also have some slightly cheesy synths that I like. The verses are nice but not extraordinary. There might be one verse/chorus too many.

The instrumental section here is pretty good—I like the reference to back to the intro and the choral parts that come in over the guitar lead right before the solo.

This is one of those prog metal songs where I think there’s a lot to like, but I find myself wondering whether it absolutely needed to be 9 minutes. There’s not a lot of excess material in this one, but I do feel like it’s a bit longer than it could have been. Good song besides that, though.

Nekov: Papadosio - Direction Song

Alright, this is a nice electronic rockish song that I like quite a bit. The instrumentation is that type of electronic instrumentation that I definitely like because I think it creates an enjoyable atmosphere, so that’s something that I like about this song. There’s some good percussive elements as well as some interesting melodic stuff.

The vocal parts are definitely the highlights for me. I really like the soft tone that the lead singer has here, and there are some very pleasant-sounding harmonies as well. Plenty of good melodies as well. The vocal part starting at around the 3 minute part is the best part of the song. The repetition of “direction” at the end of that section provides a nice uplifiting feel that I definitely like.

Sacul: Alt-J - Taro

This is definitely a Sacul submission. We all know how that can be something that I love or something that I “meh” (as Sacul puts it). I’m sure it’s not unintentional that this song avoids all of the various things that can cause me to “meh” a Sacul submission.

So do I like this? Yes, I do. Very much. There’s a strong atmosphere and a very good sense of melody, which are two things that we know by now are important to me. The main “riff” is extremely catchy in a good way. It sticks in my head for hours. The instrumentation seems to be diverse and it’s really somewhat impressive how well things are layered at times.

The clincher for me might be the unusual vocal melodies. I don’t know how to describe what I like about these melodies, because I certainly don’t like all unusual vocal melodies, but there’s something about the way that these are just off from what you might expect them to be while still being pleasing to the ear that makes them particularly memorable for me.

Definitely like this song. It’s not a home run, but it’s a definite success with me. Lyrics are weird, though.

Scorpion: Rishloo - Downhill

I’ve had a hard time nailing down my precise feelings on this prog rock song. There’s certainly a lot here that I like. The vocalist is really good. I love to hear a singer with this style, because he has a solid range and a nice tone. He gets some pretty good melodies to work with, as well. The intro is good, and there are several verses where I just feel like the vocal melodies flow nicely.

Instrumentally, there are some good moments as well. I like the guitar work, particularly on the quiet sections. Speaking of, there’s a good sense of dynamics between the loud sections and quiet ones, particularly when the song bursts out of its quiet middle section a little over halfway through. There’s another nice change of dynamics around the 7-minute mark.

I like a lot about this song. It’s quite good. I have felt like there is something missing from it, and I think it’s that there’s not a strong sense of resolution. It’s only 8 minutes, but it goes through a lot of shifts during that time, so I would have liked for there to be a stronger climax and resolution. That could be a function of taking it out of album context, but that’s the only downside for me. Still a good song.

senecadawg2: David Gray - Shine (Live)

This is a nice simple song, with just an acoustic guitar and voice. There’s something about the absence of bells and whistles here that just focuses everything on pure songwriting and individual performance.

David Gray has a voice that is perfectly suited for this style of music. He brings a somewhat folky vibe that compliments acoustic guitar very well and brings a lot of power and emotional weight ot a song like this. There are a lot of moments here where I’m impressed by his pure vocal power and the fact that he’s doing this live while playing guitar. His guitar playing is not exceedingly complex, but it’s just what the song needs.

Overall, this is a well-written, simple, positive song. I want to like this song somewhat more than I actually ended up liking it; it doesn’t blow me away like it did for Tyrias. But I do like it a good bit and certainly find it to be an enjoyable listen.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. Round 8 Results, part 2/3
« Reply #936 on: April 04, 2016, 09:52:33 PM »
 :D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: April 04, 2016, 10:23:20 PM »
Nice, I guess. Or not. I pretty much lost all the hype during these 10 days (and counting) you guys are taking to rate five songs.

Offline 425

« Reply #938 on: April 04, 2016, 10:31:52 PM »
Yeah, sorry about that. As I said, I had some personal stuff going on last week which caused the delay. If I hadn't taken that delay I probably would have been giving single digit scores that had no bearing on how I liked the songs since I was in no mood to listen to new music.

Took me a week last time, which I'll admit isn't great, but it's not too much longer than the roulette standard.

I don't know what's going on with the Red Judge.

I think one of the problems that has been clear from the three judges thing is that it's easy to let things slip since you aren't solely responsible for being on time. I know I don't feel truly on the clock until Tyrias posts, and I imagine that the Red Judge has something of the same going on.

I really apologize for my slowness in this. You are right that it is a bit of a bummer. I'll work hard to be faster in the last three rounds.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: April 04, 2016, 10:54:06 PM »
You can compensate me by upping my score  :angel:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #940 on: April 04, 2016, 11:02:25 PM »
sacul you didn't review my ep yet where's the review  :loser:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #941 on: April 04, 2016, 11:10:02 PM »
I've got Mr. Red's writeups, just let me plug the scores into the spreadsheet and make the scoreboard, and I'll post.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #942 on: April 04, 2016, 11:15:45 PM »
Quote from: Mr. Red
Evermind: Galahad - Empires Never Last

A very good prog metal song, I love the drive the song has from the get go. I'm trying to put my finger on who the vocalist reminds me of, but I can't think of it. It's driving me nuts. The instrumentation is very good and it has a solid instrumental section with a very good guitar solo.

The song doesn't drag at all, but it sure takes a long time to build up from the intro to the thematic material that grows into the first verse. Almost 2 minutes of intro material, and then the verse/intro... No vocals until almost 3 minutes in. It works, but to be honest with all that filler material my mind did start to wander. The chorus is GREAT and almost makes up for that. Because that stuck with me the song isn't as low as I'd rate it if there was nothing that was particularly memorable.

Nekov: Papadosio - Direction Song

The vocals at the beginning of this song remind me of a song dear to my heart (I will not divulge because it would give me away). I love the use of synthesizers.

This song has a chill vibe to it that I can imagine myself listening to driving home after a party on a Saturday night through the city. It has that vibe. I love that vibe. That chill, smooth, almost jazzy sound is maintained throughout the entire piece. Still, there wasn't anything super memorable about this track that stood out for me... I mean the song is called Direction Song, he even sings "Give me some direction" and it's like someone was like "OK, go that way" and it's a stretch of highway that doesn't have anything interesting on it. Still, it's got a very good beat and works exactly for what it is.

Sacul: Alt-J - Taro

This song is very... interesting. Again, it has this chill vibe to it... The vocals are very unique (not my cup of tea stylistically, but works in the song), the lyrics are very unique... this song is very unique. Not surprised you submitted this, dude.

That mandolin though... I like the use of it in the chorus.

However, this song made me want to go to sleep. It was almost TOO chill. I don't know. Again, nothing too special here in my opinion. I did enjoy it, but didn't stand out to me.

Scorpion: Rishloo - Downhill

There was a lot I enjoyed in this song; the vocalist was great, the guitar sound used was good... I really enjoyed the 2nd half of the song. But after I heard it several times I still couldn't remember anything specific that I had listened to. That's not good. The song was just...there. You know? I mean there's elements I enjoy in the process of listening to it but there's nothing that I can say "OH I LOVED THIS PART". I would be willing to listen to this band a bit more but this song just seemed weak compared to the potential I heard. I don't know.

Senecadawg2: David Gray - Shine (Live)

Shocking that you'd send a David Gray song.

Gotta be honest, I've never heard this song, but I do own White Ladder so I can't say I'm completely unfamiliar with his music. Babylon is my jam. But this song just is David Gray. I love it. It's full of emotion amongst simplicity. That's the mark of a GREAT singer/songwriter. The fact that it's basically 2 chords throughout the entire song but lyrics wise and vocal wise you can still build up to a very emotional climax at the end just shows not only what kind of songwriter he is but what kind of performer he is. Good song.

Alright, we're now entering Mr. Red's round 9. This is the last round of the tier, the last before the finals, and also the last round to feature the primary/secondary judge system. Two more of you will be eliminated after this round. Good luck.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: April 04, 2016, 11:19:07 PM »
Oh shit, I'm just point from the lead... but also a point away from the axe  :o :(

sacul you didn't review my ep yet where's the review  :loser:
I'm scared of listening to 128 kbps files :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. Round 8 Results, part 3/3 (SEND R9 SONGS)
« Reply #944 on: April 04, 2016, 11:22:24 PM »
oh, i forgot to change audacity's settings, nice