Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 107232 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R3 listening has commenced
« Reply #385 on: February 01, 2016, 11:53:39 AM »
More than 2 days since the last post? What's going on here guys???!!!!!
But, this round could possibly be delayed a little bit, some band released a new album or something.

Yeah, I thought that would be delaying things, what an awful timing for DT to release a new album, can't they see we have important business here?

This.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #386 on: February 02, 2016, 04:32:20 AM »
I just added some more things to the banned list for no particular reason at all.

Baroness
Beardfish
Bent Knee
Evergrey
Jethro Tull
Mandroid Echostar
Meat Loaf
Myrath
Pure Reason Revolution

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #387 on: February 02, 2016, 04:51:26 AM »
Yeah... No reason at all I'm sure.   ::)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: February 02, 2016, 04:53:31 AM »
I just added some more things to the banned list for no particular reason at all.

Baroness
Beardfish
Bent Knee
Evergrey
Jethro Tull
Mandroid Echostar
Meat Loaf
Myrath
Pure Reason Revolution

Oh so these are the bands that were submitted this round then, gotcha.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #389 on: February 02, 2016, 04:58:40 AM »
Oh so these are the bands that were submitted this round then, gotcha.
I don't recall saying that.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: February 02, 2016, 05:24:05 AM »
Well, I know what Lonestar sent...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: February 02, 2016, 05:44:48 AM »

:spitcoffee:

Was thinking the same thing.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #392 on: February 02, 2016, 08:48:28 AM »
none of those are the band i sent, so

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: February 02, 2016, 09:05:02 AM »
none of those are the band i sent, so

Are you trying to throw us off? Or are you saying Bolsters screwed up?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #394 on: February 02, 2016, 09:13:40 AM »
it's possible  :corn

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #395 on: February 02, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »

New album on its release date  :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: February 02, 2016, 11:05:37 AM »

I listened to it, thought it was meh. I remember you sending me a song from them in one of my roulettes and I really liked it so I was surprised at how little I enjoyed the album  :-\

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #397 on: February 02, 2016, 05:24:01 PM »

I listened to it, thought it was meh. I remember you sending me a song from them in one of my roulettes and I really liked it so I was surprised at how little I enjoyed the album  :-\

WTF dude? You trying to sway the opinions of the judges?? That's just fucked up man....

:neverusethis:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: February 02, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »
 :rollin

I'd never do that chef  :angel:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #399 on: February 02, 2016, 08:29:06 PM »
Really? A  :angel: ?

Innocence looks ridiculous on you my friend.

Offline 425

« Reply #400 on: February 02, 2016, 10:37:01 PM »
Just listened for the first time, but I learned my lesson last round about saying too much about whether I liked this round or not after just one listen, because it's just too early to tell. I'll give some impressions after my second listen tomorrow and see where things are...
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #401 on: February 02, 2016, 10:40:22 PM »
That's an approach I aprove - first impressions shouldn't be much trusted  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #402 on: February 02, 2016, 11:11:22 PM »
first impressions are fun because my opinion went from "bleh" to "i love this" on several songs with repeated listens and i had my first impressions documented to show that

Offline 425

« Reply #403 on: February 02, 2016, 11:53:39 PM »
I do have my first impressions documented in my private notes, but I've decided against posting them right away because of how dead wrong I was last time, when I said that I thought the round was a bit weak when it was actually quite strong.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #404 on: February 03, 2016, 07:36:38 PM »
Quote from: Mr. Red
Man you guys don't play! This is an excellent round of music, you all did a great job catering to my tastes. I've done 2 listens so far, but this is going to be tough to score, however I hope to have results by Friday.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #405 on: February 04, 2016, 06:46:07 AM »
For me it's more mixed than for Mr. Red. I've done 3 listens now and preliminary scores are between 2.5 and 4.5. So the worst song in this roulette so far is out of this round, but also one of the best ones (although I don't think anything will beat Bird of Sorrow, at least in this round.)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #406 on: February 04, 2016, 10:01:19 AM »
heck yeah worst song of the roulette thus far

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: February 04, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »
I actually think the worst song by Tyrias rankings might be mine. I thought it could be appealing for his tastes but if he doesn't like the dated 80s production, well, I'm screwed.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #408 on: February 04, 2016, 10:21:53 AM »
It's mine, they just don't like me :(

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: February 04, 2016, 10:44:46 AM »
I'm sure Mr Red will dig my track, as well as 425. I just pray Tyrias doesn't take revenge for some of his scores on my roulette :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: February 04, 2016, 11:48:43 AM »
It's mine, they just don't like me :(

And who's fault is that?  :lol

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #411 on: February 04, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »
Round 3 write ups

I listened to this round without paying attention to whose song I was listening to, so as to eliminate biases. Of course I didn’t succeed in most cases and had a strong suspicion about whose song it was in most cases, or I knew it (see Evermind’s song for example), but I did mix up some people and their songs (for example Scorpion’s and Nekov’s song)

Scorpion: Myrath - My Inner War

This song takes the cake for most interesting intro of the round. That piano is amazing. I don’t really like the transition to the main part though. In general, transitions between parts are not this song’s strong point. The parts themselves range between pretty good and awesome, though. Some parts here really remind me of Symphony X and Russel Allen’s voice, then suddenly the song becomes all groovy and funky, only to go back to being heavy a few seconds later. All the different parts make the song fly by and it feels considerably shorter than its 8 and a half minutes.

Parama: Baroness - The Line Between

After a short calm intro, this starts of really heavy. I can’t help feeling I’ve heard that intro riff somewhere, but this familiarity doesn’t distract from its awesomeness. It becomes quite a bit calmer afterwards, though (or at least less heavy). I’m having a really hard time writing more here, because nothing sticks out as particularly awesome to me, but neither is it anywhere near a bad song. The vocal melodies are nice and the singer does his job well, the guitars and drums do a good job of setting the mood. I didn’t quite like the guitar sound during the heavier parts, but this kind of washed out and not as “in your face” sound is also what gives the song it’s mood during the less heavy parts (as in: most of the song).

Evermind: Jethro Tull - Farm On The Freeway

To make this clear: I don’t dislike old-sounding production in general, as long as it fits the song. Usually it doesn’t fit with heavier songs, but stuff like Pink Floyd, Supertramp and other classic bands, it doesn’t distract from the song at all (unless it’s just a terrible production, but there were terrible productions in each age of music recording).
Now, on to the song: This reminds me of a holiday where I tried to get into Yes, and failed to do so. There were always some parts I really enjoyed, but as a whole the songs just never worked for me (and I actively disliked their singer’s voice). This song has kind of that Yes-flair, but with only good parts and a much better singer. He’s not doing anything really wild or out-there with his voice, but it really fits and enhances the mood of the song. Mood is also what this one does best: It makes me feel like I’m on a road trip through the U.S., in some really small rural town with nothing around it and just one small restaurant/pub in the 70s or 80s, even though I’ve never been to the U.S. , I was born in the 90s and I’ve never done a roadtrip. Also, that instrumental section in the middle is really fucking groovy, and I love that keyboard/flute (I’m not sure what it is).

Nekov: Pure Reason Revolution - Bullitts Dominae

This one was a real grower. It left me completely unimpressed the first time I listened to it and I would have given it a 2 back then probably. Now the only part that isn’t absolutely amazing is the first 30 seconds or so. I love the vocals, love the overall mood, love the guitar, love the harmonies. The only moment that really sticks out to me is the first time it gets louder, but this is just so consistently excellent that that’s really not a negative. That strings are really excellently used as well, and really enhance the song.
What makes this really stand above the rest of the songs submitted this round is the emotional impact it has on me. It makes me happy and sad at the same time, make me feel like I long for something, but I don’t really know what. And that’s how you get a really high score from me in this roulette: a 4 is for a really good song that I enjoy, everything above that has that special emotional impact on me, be it happy, sad or any other kind of feeling. The only question is: will this be the next 5 from me, or just a 4.5?

Beardfish - Green Waves

This is definitely a relatively good song, but there’s nothing that makes it particularly memorable or stand out on top of all the other prog songs this round. It’s relatively heavy, more “nod your head along” than full out head banging and jumping around the room. The vocalist does a good job, they have nice riffs and melodies, but there’s nothing that elevates it from just being somewhat good to something more special. Also, it could do with a minute or two (or three, it does drag quite a bit) less. It repeats itself a bit too much, and by the end some off the riffs start to annoy me a bit. To close this off with something a bit more positive: the solo section just after the 6 minute mark is really damn groovy.

Sacul: Bent Knee - Being Human

This was the most different song this round, and the most interesting one. I already checked out the album and it seems really good on first listen. This starts of with this really innocent, girly sounding voice singing “I imagine your dead body on my bed”. I love that contrast. Then it gets really loud, with some trumpets (or at least I think that’s trumpets), only to become more quiet again. The vocalist here is really versatile and I love her voice, she switches between totally innocent and calm to almost screaming and totally creepy sounding without much of an effort. To be honest, I’m not sure why I love this song as much as I do, it’s just so charming, combined with a great atmosphere and makes for a really interesting and rewarding listen.

Lonestar: Mandroid Echostar - Iron Hands

Sorry, but this song is just really mediocre. It has a few good moments (like the intro, when the vocals first appear), but there’s nothing here that makes it stand out as something. It’s not bad or anything, but I have to agree with Nekov’s assessment in the thread that this really isn’t that special. Maybe you would have been better served sending another song by that band, because I like their style in general and they do have a few good  moments (and even one or two that are very good), but all together this is one of the weakest songs this round (it was originally the weakest one, but it did grow on me a bit, and the other one kind of de-grew, so now it’s just among the weakest ones).

Jingle-boy: Meat Load - Bat Out Of Hell

I swear I’ve heard that first part with just piano and vocals before. Maybe it’s just because the whole song has a bit of a Queen vibe, as I have no idea where I’d know the song from.
Anyway, I think this is your strongest submission so far, just slightly etching out that Headspace song last round. I don’t usually listen to this specific kind of music (I mean, it’s both rather old and fairly happy, so not my usual listening ;)), but when I do I usually enjoy the hell out of it. It sounds like the musicians where having a shitload of fun while playing and composing this, and this feeling certainly transcends to the listener. It switches between really different parts, but the transitions are never jarring and I enjoy everything here. Great submission. (Regarding production, refer to the Jethro Tull write up, same thing applies here.)

Wolfking: Evergrey - King of Errors

This starts of really strong with some great riffs and great vocals, as well as a great atmosphere. I really like the keyboard melodies here, as well as the guitars and solos. In fact, everything here is great, the only weakness of this song is that it takes just a bit too long and I lose interest at some points in between. Those moments are short and few though, so they don’t really distract from the song much. Really cool submission!

Very varied round score-wise. I loved some songs, but didn't care much for some others.
@Bolsters: I'm still not certain about 2 scores, so I'll only send the scores to you tomorrow so I can do one more listen to those two songs. If I did it now, they would get the lower score just because I'm too tired too doo them justice :P.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: February 04, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »
I think those are violins, at least they seem so in the amazing live version :P

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #413 on: February 04, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »

If those are really violins in the studio version, then I've never heard violins that sounded so much like a brass section  :lol. Maybe it's the mix with distorted guitars that make them sound different.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: February 04, 2016, 04:58:32 PM »
Meat Load- Bat Out Of Hell

:lol :lol :lol

Glad you enjoyed.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #415 on: February 04, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »
bent knee definitely had violins yes

also that is acceptable, 3.0 probably ok

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #416 on: February 04, 2016, 05:27:33 PM »
Meat Load- Bat Out Of Hell

:lol :lol :lol

Glad you enjoyed.

Well, that is a hilarious typo :rollin

Offline 425

« Reply #417 on: February 04, 2016, 06:55:03 PM »
Okay, this round for me is another consistently pretty strong round. There is probably not an exceptional, heads above the rest song, but there is so much here that is really good, to where it's going to be difficult for me to differentiate at times. There is one song that I can't really get into right now, and it's one that I think would be pretty popular on DTF. I do think there is still a possibility for me to get into it.

There's no point, really, in my doing specific impressions when you all already know what the songs are. But I'm working, results should be posted either tomorrow or Saturday latest.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: February 04, 2016, 07:31:13 PM »
 :eek

I thought you'd be the one who'd like this song the least. I'm glad I was wrong  :smiley:

Edit: I just read you're review on Mandroid Echostar and I'm feeling like a dick  :sadpanda:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: February 04, 2016, 07:49:23 PM »
Well if it is mine, check the live version I linked and it will click ;)