Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 105591 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. FINAL ROUND COMMENCED
« Reply #1365 on: April 27, 2016, 01:46:58 PM »
the ban list is short bcuz the judge wanted to hide their identity, it's pretty obvious tbh
the few curveball artists are there to throw us off track

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1366 on: April 27, 2016, 01:54:14 PM »
Indeed it is. Plus, any doubles with the first list didn't have to be included.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1367 on: April 27, 2016, 02:08:21 PM »
I doubt Bolsters could run two roulettes at the same time - besides, Mr Red has a preference for creative music, and has meh'd some generic prog/power metal tracks. And the writing style... doesn't match with Bolsters' imo.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1368 on: April 27, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
It's not Bolsters. He has said so many times.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline 425

« Reply #1369 on: April 27, 2016, 02:11:04 PM »
Meanwhile, have some information about Mr. Red's identity:

One or more of the pieces of information we gave you about his identity was/were an outright lie. I'm not saying which one(s), though.

And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1370 on: April 27, 2016, 02:13:55 PM »

One or more of the pieces of information we gave you about his identity was/were an outright lie. I'm not saying which one(s), though.

Maybe this sentence is the lie Tyrias was talking about, clever dude.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1371 on: April 27, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »
Looking at the banned list... maybe it's splent?

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1372 on: April 27, 2016, 02:20:10 PM »

Maybe this sentence is the lie Tyrias was talking about, clever dude.

I was just going to write that, but you beat me to it :lol.

In other news, I'm pretty sure I just wrote the most pretentious write-up in the history of roulettes. Either that, or the most moving one. I'm not entirely sure yet myself.

Offline 425

« Reply #1373 on: April 27, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
I have a message from Mr. Red:

Quote from: Mr. Red
Mr. Red had just a bit of trouble playing Sacul's track, but finally got it figured out; he will get a few listens in before tonight. Or at least 1. Maybe the song won't end before he plans on posting. We will have to see....
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1374 on: April 27, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
I have a message from Mr. Red:

Quote from: Mr. Red
Mr. Red had just a bit of trouble playing Sacul's track, but finally got it figured out; he will get a few listens in before tonight. Or at least 1. Maybe the song won't end before he plans on posting. We will have to see....
Only problem with that, it's already tonight here :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: April 27, 2016, 02:22:52 PM »
Mr Red, give it all the listened you need, I'm almost sure I won't win this so take your time  :lol

Btw guys, did you manage to play the FLAC? Or just went with the mp3? I'm curious :P

Offline 425

« Reply #1376 on: April 27, 2016, 02:31:30 PM »
I went with the MP3 because my college monitors Wi-Fi usage for illegal downloading, so I used LTE in order to avoid the risk of using the Wi-Fi—but went with MP3 so as to not stretch my data plan.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1377 on: April 27, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »
I went with the MP3 because my college monitors Wi-Fi usage for illegal downloading, so I used LTE in order to avoid the risk of using the Wi-Fi—but went with MP3 so as to not stretch my data plan.
Wow. that's some strict college rules.

I listened to the mp3 as well. I honestly don't hear the difference between an mp3 and a FLAC, so I just went with the one I knew I could play easily.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: April 27, 2016, 02:41:22 PM »
Well I hope you used that hi-fi system at least once  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1379 on: April 27, 2016, 02:43:23 PM »
where the hell do you go to college, somewhere in China?

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1380 on: April 27, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »
Well I hope you used that hi-fi system at least once  :tup

I did.

Yeah, right. Where I live professors put illegal copies of books on our official learning platform so we don't have to buy them :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #1381 on: April 27, 2016, 02:45:36 PM »

I'm not sure they actually do it, but they say they do, and I'd rather not risk it.

A private college that doesn't want to face any sort of legal liability, I guess.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1382 on: April 27, 2016, 03:00:36 PM »
I'm not sure they actually do it, but they say they do, and I'd rather not risk it.
Well a friend of mine too, thus he can't use torrents, but MEGA is a cloud-based storage site, and I'm pretty sure they can't track exactly what you're downloading, so he gets his music from there.

Offline 425

« Reply #1383 on: April 27, 2016, 03:05:31 PM »
I mean, I'm pretty strongly opposed to downloading anyway, I'm only willing to use it on a temporary basis in extenuating circumstances like this.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: April 27, 2016, 09:29:16 PM »
EDIT: I feel like my Sacul writeup may have overestimated the role that the glitches played in my score, just based on people's reactions... I probably liked that song better than any of the people who listened to it once and gave their reactions in this thread. Which makes sense, because I listened to it four times and they only heard it once. I just want to be clear about how big a role the glitches played, which was notable but not massive, because the rest of the song was really good. As inordinately long instrumentals go, way ahead of Three Minute Warning.

Got it, so only one point difference between me and Sacul.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1385 on: April 27, 2016, 11:52:55 PM »
Mr Red has a preference for creative music, and has meh'd some generic prog/power metal tracks
I think I've meh'd my fair share of generic prog metal tracks, and I do like creative stuff. I think I even sent you some, although perhaps we have different interpretations.

Not trying to convince you that I'm Mr. Red of course, but this is faulty logic. :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R10 results part 1/3
« Reply #1386 on: April 27, 2016, 11:55:55 PM »
Let's just say that I'm the judge with the lowest post count in here.
tbh if bolsters isn't red then this post is the lie tho

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R10 results part 1/3
« Reply #1387 on: April 27, 2016, 11:57:42 PM »
Let's just say that I'm the judge with the lowest post count in here.
tbh if bolsters isn't red then this post is the lie tho
It's true.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1388 on: April 28, 2016, 12:06:57 AM »
my statement, or tyrias' post?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: April 28, 2016, 12:11:19 AM »
Who cares? Just bring on the results. :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1390 on: April 28, 2016, 12:21:33 AM »
Who cares? Just bring on the results. :biggrin:
tbh yeah

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1391 on: April 28, 2016, 12:23:05 AM »
my statement, or tyrias' post?
Tyrias has fewer posts than Mr. Red.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1392 on: April 28, 2016, 12:24:55 AM »
alright, so the literal only candidates are Train and Bolsters, and i guess it could be Train but... nah, it's Bolsters

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1393 on: April 28, 2016, 12:31:03 AM »
alright, so the literal only candidates are Train and Bolsters, and i guess it could be Train but... nah, it's Bolsters
Wait, are you talking about posts in the thread? I think Tyrias meant he had less posts total that Mr. Red, not that he'd posted less in here than him.

I can't remember if Mr. Red has posted in this thread or not and I can't be bothered to check all 40 pages to find out. If he did it's a couple of posts at most.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1394 on: April 28, 2016, 12:34:56 AM »
i thought he meant posts in-thread but i guess he could mean total post count too  :lol

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1395 on: April 28, 2016, 01:08:21 AM »
i thought he meant posts in-thread but i guess he could mean total post count too  :lol

I meant total posts in the forum, not just this thread.

Also, write-ups in about an hour.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1396 on: April 28, 2016, 01:09:25 AM »
so it's bosk.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1397 on: April 28, 2016, 01:46:15 AM »
So, I tried to really give these write-ups enough effort, since this is the final after all. Also, Evermind and Nekov guessed my tidbits correctly.

Nekov: Subsignal - The Size Of Light On Earth

Like I said, there’s nothing here I dislike and lots of stuff I normally like. The keyboard at the beginning sets a nice atmosphere, and then instruments slowly get added to it. Everything here serves the song and is quite beautiful, though I don’t quite understand why you said this was metal influenced. There’s absolutely nothing that even borders on metal. Just because a song has some distorted guitars doesn’t make it metal. But ok, I won’t hold that against it. Despite usually not being too fond of this more high-pitched vocal style, it fits quite nicely here. The drums are taking the backseat in this one, especially compared to your song last round, and never really stick out, but serve the song nicely. It has nice melodies, and the chorus is somewhat catchy as well.
Yet, for some reason, it just doesn’t do all that much for me as a whole. It has a very chill, relaxing vibe, but something about the emotions here just feels a bit… fake. And I don’t think it’s the singer, he sounds good enough and is really into song. Something about the guitar tone, combined with the keyboards, just gives it this less-than-honest feeling. Like they cared more about perfecting the musical aspect and having everything like they wanted, but forgot to add that ‘rawness’ that distinguishes a heartfelt song from an overproduced sounding one. Honestly, I’m still not sure if I captured exactly what feels fake to me in that last paragraph, but it’s my best try.
So, all in all, nice song, but lacking some things that would put you back in the contest for the top. I’m afraid it’s going to be between Evermind and Sacul, especially considering 425’s write-ups (not knowing anything about Mr. Red, though).

Evermind: Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust

I knew I’d love this song after the first 5 seconds, and that first impression proved to be pretty damn right. The short guitar intro sets the atmosphere for this song absolutely perfectly, and it’s a fantastic atmosphere. It has that kind of raw, sad, desert-like atmosphere. Like being on a road trip through a desert, in a car with no cooling or heating. That song would be the perfect soundtrack for that.
What else is there to say about this song? While the instrumentation is certainly awesome and sets the atmosphere, the real star here is doubtlessly her voice. When I did my last listen before writing the write-ups, my mum came in and asked: ‘This is Joan Baez right? That can only be her voice.’ I have to agree with her, Joan Baez’ voice is both fantastic and unique. I also agree that the lyrics are awesome, or at least the fragments I picked out. See, I’m not usually a person who actually pays attention to lyrics, but the pieces I paid attention to here perfectly fit with the atmosphere and the emotion in her voice.
I’m not going to tell you if this was my favourite song this round, since Sacul’s write-up is rather cryptic and I would rather not destroy all the suspense for who is going to win this. I did like this significantly more than Nekov’s song, I felt it had exactly that raw power and emotion that his song was lacking.

Sacul: Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella

Cold. Cold in his hand. A laugh. Her smile. Water dripping into the sink. Can’t be. It’s off. The ticking of a clock. Drip. Drip. Drip.
Drip.
Anxiety makes his heart beat fast. She is holding his hand, pulling him gently on the dancefloor. Her hand is warm, sweaty in his from being nervous. Drip. A step back. A step forward. A step back. A step forward. It gets easier with every step. The dancefloor draws nearer, he puts his free hand on her hip. He looks her in the eye, a timid smile.
Drip. Drip. Tick. Tock.
Her eyes smile back at him. He takes a step forward, her leg moves with his. His hand is shaking on her hip. He takes another step, the other foot this time. This gets easier as it continues. His hands grow steadier with every step. His heart is beating faster, but not because of fear this time.
Drip.
They’re dancing through the clouds. A smile on her lips, her heart beating fast. He’s laughing, his heart going faster. Their feet move together in harmony. Feeling the sun smile down on them, in their faces. Or is it the moon?
The song is over. He takes her hand this time, feels the warm sweat on his. He leads her to the balcony. They stand out there, alone. The full moon reflecting in her eyes. The echo of music from inside.  It comes closer, the moon. Or is it her that’s coming closer? Their noses touch. Their lips touch. He jerks away, suddenly nervous. Her hand on the back of his head pulls him closer again. Another touch, longer this time.
She smiles at him, nervously. He smiles back, nervously.
Drip. Tick. Drip. Tock. Cold. Cold in his hand. Eyes hollow. Tick. A faint smile. Drip.
She smiles at him. He pulls her into his arms, embraces her. Together, they go back in. Onto the dancefloor. He’s twirling her around. She’s laughing out loud now, joy in her eyes. There are butterflies in his stomach, trying to fly upwards. Another dance, chuckling at their awkward moves. They leave by the back door, into the garden. Smiling at her. Smiling at him. Enjoying each other’s company.
Drip. Wet on his cold hand. Tick. A tear?  The shadow of a smile? Hollow eyes. Tick. Empty Eyes. Tock. Dead eyes.
Her hand cold in his.
She’s cold.
She’s dead.

And for the Sacul-style write-up, in Chinese:
我認為這是在第一次無聊,但它極大地增長了我。有快樂和悲傷的時刻之間相映成趣。我不太喜歡在最初幾分鐘的毛刺,但除此之外,這是相當出色。

Honestly, I'm still not exactly sure about the score I'm going to give to Sacul's song, especially since I want it to be somewhat accurate with respect to other songs in that scoring area. It's such a hard song to compare to others, though.

I'll write some more "good-bye" words to the three of you when we get the final results and know who is the winner.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: April 28, 2016, 01:57:05 AM »
You don't write such writeups for a song you're impartial to, so I'm guessing you loved Sacul's song. Oh well. Glad you liked my song at least.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: April 28, 2016, 04:31:42 AM »
I guess it's a matter of tastes. I do find the song I sent to have that emotional side which is why I chose it but that's OK, different people, different tastes  :smiley:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.