Author Topic: Gn'R to Reunite (sort of) and Tour  (Read 14933 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Gn'R to Reunite (sort of) and Tour
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2016, 08:22:35 AM »
He's been sitting on................ Mr Grohl's Throne  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2016, 09:08:32 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks that is sort of lame?  Dave Grohl is to '10's rock what Phil Collins was to the 80's.   Sit the fuck down already, and stay in your lane.   I know, Dave Grohl is in the dictionary next to "integrity", but this just smacks of wanting your name mentioned in connection with the biggest musical event since Page and Plant decided to strap on together again. 

Offline NotePad

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »
What does this mean for the "other" GnR line up Rose assembled considering they've said they were working on a Chinese Democracy follow-up?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2016, 10:28:43 AM »
What does this mean for the "other" GnR line up Rose assembled considering they've said they were working on a Chinese Democracy follow-up?

As far as I know, people like DJ Ashby, Bumblefoot and Stinson (or whatever his name is) have officially left the band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2016, 11:12:37 AM »
DJ Ashba left before the reunion was announced.  As, I believe, did Bumblefoot.  I don't know about Tommy Stinson.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2016, 01:03:20 PM »
Side note: I had heard of Bumblefoot, but never seen/heard him play until last week. Dude can absolutely rip. He was walking around in the crowd soloing and posing for selfies while doing so. He also started shaking hands/giving high fives at one point while continuing to play legato.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2016, 01:36:24 PM »
^^^ When I saw G'n'R, he must've been sick or something, because he was only on stage for about half the show, but what he did play (and his solo spot) were unbelievable.   He's the goods.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2016, 03:47:22 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks that is sort of lame?  Dave Grohl is to '10's rock what Phil Collins was to the 80's.   Sit the fuck down already, and stay in your lane.   I know, Dave Grohl is in the dictionary next to "integrity", but this just smacks of wanting your name mentioned in connection with the biggest musical event since Page and Plant decided to strap on together again.

Shtick like this isn't believable when you lay it on so thick.  Just a bit of friendly advice.  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2016, 03:54:43 PM »
Seriously, I have to say that this GnR cash grab does not interest me in any way. Seriously.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2016, 03:58:08 PM »
Seriously, I have to say that this GnR cash grab does not interest me in any way. Seriously.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2016, 03:58:38 PM »
It's so weird because Slash and Duff don't need to do this at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2016, 04:01:22 PM »
I am sure the money they will make on this tour will make it well worth it, regardless of whether or not they need it.

Reunion tours like this are always about the cash grab, and this is one of the most obvious ones I've ever seen (up there with the Police and Eagles).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »
There's no way Slash and Duff are playing on a brand new GNR album.

So there's this tour for $$$ then what ? Slash goes back to The Conspirators and who is left in GNR ?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2016, 05:14:23 PM »
Of all of the weirdness of this reunion, I'm mostly surprised that Slash and Duff agreed to learn a Chinese Democracy song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2016, 06:39:19 AM »
It's so weird because Slash and Duff don't need to do this at all.

Maybe they want to. 

I heard a podcast with Eddie Trunk that Slash did about a year or so ago (maybe a little more).  And he seems like a pretty intense guy for all his chill persona.  He talked about be obsessive in many ways - playing guitar, drugs, etc. - and twice he said things, in an offhand way, that reinforced that.  Once he said "well I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about who I want to play with, because if I did, I would then spend all my time making it happen" and once about drugs he said something about how "there really isn't casual use for me; if I do it I end up doing it to the extreme.  That's why the overdoses.".

I don't know, I just got the vibe that if this was something that he had any interest at all in, it would be full on. 

I think sometimes it's best to just not read too much into things and not project our own cynicism on things.    Maybe he just wants to play stadia again.  Who the fuck knows?   I don't begrudge them this at all (and I also don't care one bit that Adler isn't involved). 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2016, 06:56:58 AM »
Alright I'll say it, I totally want to see this. I'm too young to have gone to see the original lineup back in the late 80s early 90s, so this is probably my only shot to see Slash and Axl perform these iconic songs together. I got tickets for their show in Pittsburgh, it was like $70... I've paid more for concerts, I didn't think that was too bad.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2016, 07:11:47 AM »
I don't see this reformation lasting beyond the tour.

Slash had a good thing going with Myles Kennedy which i'm sure he'll want to continue with.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2016, 07:13:35 AM »
I don't see this reformation lasting beyond the tour.

Slash had a good thing going with Myles Kennedy which i'm sure he'll want to continue with.

I hope that's exactly what Slash does. Makes his money on this tour (admittedly some from me) and then goes back to the Conspirators with Myles, I really like their last record and would love for them to continue.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2016, 08:20:13 AM »
I hope so too. World on Fire is an incredible album! :metal :hefdaddy
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2016, 08:45:17 AM »
Just my opinion, but you are way off base.

Guns N Roses were absolutely huge back in the day, but they aren't the equal of Page & Plant in any way.  Dave Grohl is much more relevant at this point in time than G N R.  He doesn't have to "stay in his lane" as though he has to defer to Axl fucking Rose.  It's his road, and G N R are heading back onto the highway from their 20 year rest stop.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2016, 09:22:24 AM »
Yes and nobody in Foo Fighters seems like an arrogant rockstar prick like anyone in GNR.

Foo Fighters all seem like really down to earth funny regular guys with a sense of humour.

I can't imagine Axl Rose appearing in drag in a comedy music video like Learning To Fly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »

Guns N Roses were absolutely huge back in the day, but they aren't the equal of Page & Plant in any way.  Dave Grohl is much more relevant at this point in time than G N R.  He doesn't have to "stay in his lane" as though he has to defer to Axl fucking Rose.  It's his road, and G N R are heading back onto the highway from their 20 year rest stop.

I'm not sure yet that I agree, but I certainly see your point on relevance.   And I'm not really suggesting that Grohl "defer" to Axl, I just mean that it smells a shade like trying to maybe maintain his relevance or make sure he's not run off the road by Axl and his gang.

I do still feel strongly, though, that Grohl is just too ubiquitous for my tastes. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2016, 09:34:57 AM »

I don't think Stadler was saying GNR is equal to Zepp. I think he was trying to say that the GNR reunion is, arguably, the biggest thing in rock music since the Zepp reunion in 2007 or whenever that show was. And I definitely think an argument can be made that this is the biggest thing in rock in a while.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »
I feel like I've seen enough instances of Dave Grohl doing cool guy things to not think anything other than that he's a good guy just trying to be good to other people, because why not?

Also, I suspect that, being a musician and a fan of music in general, the idea of a Guns and Roses reunion is just as big a deal to him as it would be to any fan.  In this instance (the throne), getting to help out and somehow contribute to it is no more of a fanboy fantasy fulfilled than anything someone here would love to do for a band they love.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »
I feel like I've seen enough instances of Dave Grohl doing cool guy things to not think anything other than that he's a good guy just trying to be good to other people, because why not?

Also, I suspect that, being a musician and a fan of music in general, the idea of a Guns and Roses reunion is just as big a deal to him as it would be to any fan.  In this instance (the throne), getting to help out and somehow contribute to it is no more of a fanboy fantasy fulfilled than anything someone here would love to do for a band they love.
This exactly.  He doesn't need G n R to "maintain his relevance."  He does a great job of that all by himself.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2016, 10:25:33 AM »
Matt answering a question about GnR:
matt sorum ✔ ‎@mattsorum
"@vcdissevodka: @mattsorum
you are watching the shows of Guns N' Roses?" Watching final season of Downton Abbey
:lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2016, 10:41:46 AM »

I don't think Stadler was saying GNR is equal to Zepp. I think he was trying to say that the GNR reunion is, arguably, the biggest thing in rock music since the Zepp reunion in 2007 or whenever that show was. And I definitely think an argument can be made that this is the biggest thing in rock in a while.

Bingo.  Exactly right.   Please direct all future questions to @Mikeyd23.  :)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2016, 10:49:38 AM »
Bingo.  Exactly right.   Please direct all future questions to @Mikeyd23.  :)

Haha, as long as they aren't some of the questions you field in P/R, I'd be lost!  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2016, 10:52:50 AM »

He is buds with Slash and Duff, I'll give you that.

Still, he's like a roach. He's EVERYWHERE.   Is he going to take the SST across the Atlantic to present the chair at two GnR shows on the same day?   Is he going to star in a crappy rom-com?  Is he going to score the next Disney movie?   

In fact, I just asked the Magic 8 Ball (at this site: https://www.ask8ball.net/) and the answer was "Most Likely".  I shit you not.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2016, 11:02:24 AM »
I shit you not.

Up your fiber intake.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »
Really cool of Dave Grohl to lend Axl his throne.

Good Guy Dave does it again.  I think the Good Guy Greg meme should be replaced with a pic of Dave Grohl instead.

Why let the thrown go to waste.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »
King ?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2016, 11:31:15 AM »
lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2016, 12:37:14 PM »
lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2016, 01:05:14 PM »
I shit you not.

Up your fiber intake.

Haha, that got a real life, honest to goodness laugh out loud.