Author Topic: Gn'R to Reunite (sort of) and Tour  (Read 14935 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Gn'R to Reunite (sort of) and Tour
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2016, 06:39:24 PM »

I don't think Stadler was saying GNR is equal to Zepp. I think he was trying to say that the GNR reunion is, arguably, the biggest thing in rock music since the Zepp reunion in 2007 or whenever that show was. And I definitely think an argument can be made that this is the biggest thing in rock in a while.

Not really.  Let's see them do a stadium tour for nearly three years like U2 did, packing most of them to or near capacity, and then maybe we can talk. Still probably not, though.

I know G n' R fans are just dying for them to be relevant again, but it's not happening.  A reunion tour does not make them relevant or big again; it just means that a lot of fans want to relive the past. Let's see them release a new album and then tour.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2016, 07:33:08 PM »
Not really.  Let's see them do a stadium tour for nearly three years like U2 did, packing most of them to or near capacity, and then maybe we can talk. Still probably not, though.

I know G n' R fans are just dying for them to be relevant again, but it's not happening.  A reunion tour does not make them relevant or big again; it just means that a lot of fans want to relive the past. Let's see them release a new album and then tour.

I 100% concur.  As a modern guy, I don't see these reunion tours as a big deal.  Maybe, it is because I do not hold GNR as high reverence.  Sure, AFD was a great album and all, but in the current period, even with Slash and Duff back in the fold for this stadium tour, ehhh.  I mean if they release a new album with those guys back, that would be awesome.  That stated, I just do not see these guys pulling that off as well as Rush and Iron Maiden.  After all, it could still be possible that Slash goes back to Myles and Conspirators and record and tour their album.  Not really because of the money (sure, it is not money that a GNR tour would generate, but it is still decent money.  Most modern bands would like to make the money that Slash/Myles/Conspirators does with their tour), but because they like playing together and have got a solid modern fanbase.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2016, 08:17:11 PM »
Anyone know what the attendance difference is between these shows and the Chinese Democracy shows? Just curious if there's even a significant difference.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2016, 06:28:17 AM »

I 100% concur.  As a modern guy, I don't see these reunion tours as a big deal.  Maybe, it is because I do not hold GNR as high reverence.  Sure, AFD was a great album and all, but in the current period, even with Slash and Duff back in the fold for this stadium tour, ehhh.  I mean if they release a new album with those guys back, that would be awesome.  That stated, I just do not see these guys pulling that off as well as Rush and Iron Maiden.  After all, it could still be possible that Slash goes back to Myles and Conspirators and record and tour their album.  Not really because of the money (sure, it is not money that a GNR tour would generate, but it is still decent money.  Most modern bands would like to make the money that Slash/Myles/Conspirators does with their tour), but because they like playing together and have got a solid modern fanbase.

Look, I'm no G/n/R fanboy - in fact, I'd rather see Axl like I did in 2010, in a 1,000 seat club, and I'm all in on Slash/Myles - and I mean this with no disrespect, but if you ask someone like Ed Trunk, this is THE event of the year.   It's the one question that always gets asked, and which - for a while there - the members themselves avoided like the plague.   

I can remember being on the Genesis site around the time of the 2007 reunion, and there were a number of people there that were like "Oh! Genesis should reunite with Gabriel and Hackett, and tour the Lamb!  They'd pack STADIUMS!" and I was like 'wha??' I'd love to see that too, but it ain't doing more than mid-sized theaters.  Who in 2016 wants to see some old guy dressed as a Jedi climbing out of a plastic back lit with black light?  While a guy who looks like Chairman Mao is playing drums???   This is exactly the opposite.  Maybe here, on a prog-metal band fan site GnR doesn't grab, but I can see a LOT of interest for 40-somethings and their wives having a night out to see a band they were into 15 years before.   Granted, we'll see how the attendance is, but they are going into stadiums right out of the gate with no album.  There must be SOME demand.   

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2016, 06:59:09 AM »
Genesis with Gabriel and Hackett, to my knowledge, never filled stadiums, so why would they now? Or some years ago? The Genesis that filled stadiums was the three piece pop band of their later career.

I'm thinking that GnR will fill out some stadiums but I'm not thinking that this is the musical happening of the decade. They just aren't important enough anymore, at least imo. And I'm still not sure that they are able to finish the tour.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2016, 07:10:19 AM »
Genesis with Gabriel and Hackett, to my knowledge, never filled stadiums, so why would they now? Or some years ago? The Genesis that filled stadiums was the three piece pop band of their later career.

I'm thinking that GnR will fill out some stadiums but I'm not thinking that this is the musical happening of the decade. They just aren't important enough anymore, at least imo. And I'm still not sure that they are able to finish the tour.

Exactly.  But there were legit people that thought a Gabriel/Genesis reunion was a stadium act.   But the point is, we can't really look at it through our own eyes - I personally like G'n'R, but I don't think they're that important either - but through the market's eyes.  They're not throwing this amount of money at them because they are a novelty act.   

How about this question:  in terms of reunions and event tours, what's bigger?   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2016, 07:53:18 AM »
Garth Brooks coming back was bigger than Guns N Roses coming back.

I am 100% serious when I say that.

I love Guns N Roses, but looking at their actual output - they had one hell of an album with AFD, and one hell of an album's worth of awesome music spread out over the two UYI albums, combined with a lot of filler.  Then they had the handful of good songs from GNR Lies, and a covers album with TSI. 

They sold shit-tons of albums, back when people bought albums, which they don't anymore.  I wish them luck on this moneygrab reunion tour, but unless they actually produce new material, I don't really care.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2016, 08:05:19 AM »
Couple of things, its hard to compare the GNR reunion tour to U2 selling out stadiums on a tour, because one is a reunion of an iconic band that hasn't played with some of the original members in over 20 years. The other is a band that has never had a lineup change for decades and have been consistently releasing albums and touring. So I guess I'm not arguing that GNR are bigger than U2 (I wouldn't argue that) I guess I'm saying this reunion tour is a bigger deal than another U2 tour because the nature of it is completely different.

As to Garth Brooks, you are right, he is incredibly popular and him coming back was HUGE. However, whenever I was mentioning this being a big deal, I said it might be the biggest thing in rock music since the Zepp reunion. Country music is a whole different animal, country music is extremely popular in America, where as rock music is not so much any more. I'll put it this way, besides U2 I can't remember another rock band coming through my city (Pittsburgh) and selling out Heinz Field. There are several country acts that literally sell it out every summer. So I think its just different.

I guess I'm not saying GNR is the biggest band in the world or the most relevant band in the world (clearly they aren't), but this reunion might be the biggest thing in rock in while, that's all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2016, 08:06:14 AM »
I hope you're right.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2016, 08:07:43 AM »
I hope you're right.

If nothing else, it's rock music being pushed to the near-front of the music culture of America again, maybe just for a short time, but at least its something.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2016, 08:25:47 AM »
Garth Brooks may be a big thing in the states, I doubt that he would fill stadiums in Germany or Europe or Asia.

GnR maybe would, at leats in Europe, not sure about Asia.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2016, 08:41:17 AM »
Garth Brooks may be a big thing in the states, I doubt that he would fill stadiums in Germany or Europe or Asia.

GnR maybe would, at leats in Europe, not sure about Asia.

Yup, but that's a snapshot of those genres in general I think. A lot of rock bands do better in Europe and draw bigger crowds, play bigger venues, etc...than they do in the US. Country music is by far most popular in the US.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2016, 08:44:14 AM »
I hope you're right.

If nothing else, it's rock music being pushed to the near-front of the music culture of America again, maybe just for a short time, but at least its something.

This is kind of what I mean. 

Country is out of fucking control.   Here in the northeast, Kenny Chesney, Keith Urban, Garth Brooks, and (if you count her) Taylor Swift sell out stadiums regularly, and I don't even think they need an album.  I think it's just a big summer party.   Tickets are cheap, and it's just a non-offensive, apolitical day out of the house for many.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2016, 08:51:58 AM »
I know he has filled out stadiums in Ireland before, but I'm not sure of any other areas of Europe he's been to.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2016, 09:01:31 AM »
Maybe here, on a prog-metal band fan site GnR doesn't grab, but I can see a LOT of interest for 40-somethings and their wives having a night out to see a band they were into 15 years before.   Granted, we'll see how the attendance is, but they are going into stadiums right out of the gate with no album.  There must be SOME demand.
I don't know how overall interest will be for the tour.  However, they've sold out MetLife Stadium here in NJ.  Part of me would like to see the three of them live again.  But, I got to see them with Metallica back on their co-headlining tour.  That's good enough for me.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2016, 09:04:12 AM »
I know he has filled out stadiums in Ireland before, but I'm not sure of any other areas of Europe he's been to.

I may be wrong because I don't follow them closely, but I think most of the country artists from the states don't bother coming across. I've never heard of a concert here in Germany by one of the bigger names. Taylor Swift was here but she's more of a pop artist(?) and she played in Lanxess arena which holds about 10.000 people. Don't know if it was sold out.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2016, 11:33:41 AM »

I may be wrong because I don't follow them closely, but I think most of the country artists from the states don't bother coming across. I've never heard of a concert here in Germany by one of the bigger names. Taylor Swift was here but she's more of a pop artist(?) and she played in Lanxess arena which holds about 10.000 people. Don't know if it was sold out.

Honestly, Garth might be one of the exceptions, he had a lot of cross-over appeal in his day, but typically speaking Country music is most popular in America rather than any other country in the world I'd say.

Oh and also, I don't think Swift is a country artist any more, but I'm not sure.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »
Taylor Swift certainly started out country, but she has moved on to pop.

The Irish stadium I know of that Garth Brooks sold out was Croke Park (capacity 82,000 or so).  I have seen the DVD of that show.  There may have been others.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2016, 04:30:47 PM »

Look, I'm no G/n/R fanboy - in fact, I'd rather see Axl like I did in 2010, in a 1,000 seat club, and I'm all in on Slash/Myles - and I mean this with no disrespect, but if you ask someone like Ed Trunk, this is THE event of the year.   It's the one question that always gets asked, and which - for a while there - the members themselves avoided like the plague.   

Okay, but who really cares what Eddie Trunk thinks? :lol :P That guy is awful already, plus I am not sure he knows of any good music of the last 25 years (unless it was made by some band that pre-dated 1990).  Seriously. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2016, 04:50:28 PM »
This feels like complaining for the sake of it.

Personally, I thought Chinese Democracy was a pretty good album.  But the prevailing opinion seemed to be egos were keeping GnR from working together, depriving us of what could have been.  Something that was clearly better than "Chinese Democracy" GnR.

Now they do that and it seems the debate has been flipped on its head.  If was still in a concert frame of mind, GnR would be one I'd make the effort to see.  If it was a smaller venue, heck, that's my gain.

If CD GnR was putting out a new album every 2 to 4 years, then maybe I'd feel like I lost something.  If this current lineup puts out even one new song, bonus.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2016, 05:19:55 AM »

Okay, but who really cares what Eddie Trunk thinks? :lol :P That guy is awful already, plus I am not sure he knows of any good music of the last 25 years (unless it was made by some band that pre-dated 1990).  Seriously.
Exactly.  Someone like Eddie Trunk?  I don't know anyone in real life like Eddie Trunk.  Musically, he's still the guy he was in high school.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2016, 07:21:50 AM »
  I don't know anyone in real life like Eddie Trunk. 

Wait, you don't know any guys who act like total douches and still wear KISS and Iron Maiden t-shirts every day? :lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2016, 09:26:17 AM »

Exactly.  Someone like Eddie Trunk?  I don't know anyone in real life like Eddie Trunk.  Musically, he's still the guy he was in high school.

No, no, I'm not saying that he isn't a douche (he is) or that he specifically knows something we don't (he doesn't).  I just mean that when he does interviews and podcasts and such, it's just the topic that comes up as much or more than anyone.   

Look, Eddie is nothing special (if I have to hear about his "good friend Ronnie James Dio" or how "brutally honest" he is, I might puke on my iPod) but he DOES have reach, for better or worse, and you can get a feel for what's hot and what's not from listening to what the people HE'S talking to are saying. 

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2016, 10:15:20 AM »

No, no, I'm not saying that he isn't a douche (he is) or that he specifically knows something we don't (he doesn't).  I just mean that when he does interviews and podcasts and such, it's just the topic that comes up as much or more than anyone.   

Look, Eddie is nothing special (if I have to hear about his "good friend Ronnie James Dio" or how "brutally honest" he is, I might puke on my iPod) but he DOES have reach, for better or worse, and you can get a feel for what's hot and what's not from listening to what the people HE'S talking to are saying.

Anytime I think of Eddie, I always imagine he's simply an alternate personality of Alex Jones.  I don't know if that's good or bad. :lol

I grew up during the GnR era (I was 11 when UYI was released), and honestly liked them in passing until I heard Knockin on Heaven's Door (seems like I saw the concert vid for that on MTV... maybe the Freddie Mercury benefit show?); mind you, I thought that song was a GnR original, so I was blown away by it... especially Slash's style with it.  The only other GnR songs that I listened to with any regularity were My Michelle (had an ex named Michelle in Middle School), Civil War, and Don't Cry; I wasn't a huge GnR fan, but I enjoyed them.

Having said that, I can see that it is a big thing... especially for my generation.  But honestly, I'd hate to see Slash take time away from Miles and The Conspirators for GnR. 
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »
  I don't know anyone in real life like Eddie Trunk. 

Wait, you don't know any guys who act like total douches and still wear KISS and Iron Maiden t-shirts every day? :lol :lol

Err, uh, that kind of hits a little close to home (Stadler says, as he changes his Kiss shirt and puts on a Genesis shirt...)  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2016, 01:33:13 PM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2016, 10:25:55 PM »
First show of the GNR stadium tour was today.  Watched it through Periscope.  They look good.  It's not something I want to spend hundreds of dollars to see, but to those that want to see them, this show would be worth that money to those willing to spend that much.  Here's the setlist.

It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
Double Talkin' Jive
Estranged
Live and Let Die
Rocket Queen
You Could Be Mine
Raw Power (Iggy and The Stooges cover) with "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory" intro
This I Love
Civil War
Coma
Godfather Theme
Sweet Child O' Mine
Better
Out Ta Get Me
Jam ("Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd, Slash & Fortus Guitar Duet)
November Rain
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Nightrain

Don't Cry
The Seeker (The Who cover)
Paradise City

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/2016/ford-field-detroit-mi-3fe4ddf.html

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2016, 06:08:39 AM »
The first tour with both Rose and Slash in decades...and they are playing some covers...and one of them as an encore?? :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2016, 07:49:13 AM »
That was my reaction as well.  Come on, guys.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »
Pretty good setlist overall though, I'll be seeing them in Pittsburgh, looking forward to it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2016, 11:36:58 AM »
Love Double Talkin' Jive back to back with Estranged!
And Coma :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2016, 12:25:41 PM »
The only "real" cover is "The Seeker", though having said that, that's an odd Who song to cover.  But Raw Power (and the interpolated song) were both on The Spaghetti Incident? and Live and Let Die was on Use Your Illusion I.

I have to say, props to both Slash and Duff for doing THREE Chinese Democracy songs.  Would LOVE to hear those with the full band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »
They're still covers, regardless of whether or not they covered them previously.   Then again, they don't have a lot of good original material, so they were probably struggling to fill the set list.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2016, 12:20:47 AM »
And Knockin' On Heaven's Door is an G'n'R original?  :D