Author Topic: I'm Cutting The Cord  (Read 19506 times)

Offline adace

Re: I'm Cutting The Cord
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2016, 12:48:44 AM »
So I'm thinking of ditching my $80/month Dish plan and getting a Roku streaming stick with a Netflix subscription. Just have to test out if my internet connection can handle streaming to 2 TVs at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:52:25 AM by adace »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2016, 06:32:56 AM »
Do it! I'm about a month removed from cutting the cord and I don't regret one bit!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2016, 06:51:40 AM »
It's a good thing sports fans can't stream much live stuff yet. It's the only thing keeping cable companies from collapsing.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2016, 08:03:48 AM »
It's a good thing sports fans can't stream much live stuff yet. It's the only thing keeping cable companies from collapsing.
You're probably right.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2016, 08:41:57 AM »
My one question or retort is doesn't blame fall somewhere else too? Some actors make big bucks still- I think the action star is gone mostly for being big $$$ earners however. Last I heard Depp got $55mil for Pirates4 in 2011. TV shows though too. With the Sopranos trend, a lot of TV moved to continuing stories with high production value. As such, cost went up. And some higher tier actors went to TV. Or even the higher tier movie actor is not high tier anymore because of TV gaining steam.
Yeah, Hollywood hit this wall a while ago. Fortunately there are still people willing to shell out big bucks to see a movie, as last I saw RDJ was set to make 100 million to play Tony Stark again. Eventually the house will collapse again, but I'm not sure when that'll be. The theater business is already screwy since they make no money from the movies that they show (they're loss leaders), which is a shaky as hell business model. The sad part is that the high cost of movies has really hurt film-making, IMO. It's hard to make a movie that's genuinely good if you've got to appeal to the lowest common denominator to recoup your billion dollar investment.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2016, 07:38:11 AM »
I called Comcast the other night to complain about slow internet service, and after three hours of talking to four reps, this is what they offered me.

- No contract or termination fee
- 5X faster internet, both upload and download
- Basic cable package (no monthly charge for box)
- No data cap

I got it for $10 less than what I'm currently paying for internet only, and after 12 months it goes back to what I currently pay. After 24 months, it goes up $5 more. So I guess I'm no longer a cord cutter.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2016, 07:42:28 AM »
I called Comcast the other night to complain about slow internet service, and after three hours of talking to four reps, this is what they offered me.

- No contract or termination fee
- 5X faster internet, both upload and download
- Basic cable package (no monthly charge for box)
- No data cap

I got it for $10 less than what I'm currently paying for internet only, and after 12 months it goes back to what I currently pay. After 24 months, it goes up $5 more. So I guess I'm no longer a cord cutter.

sweet deal. These companies will do anything to make sure they are at least getting some $$ from you. I recently called AT&T (I have Uverse) to complain about my internet speed and the fact I was losing my cable signal a couple times a week. The conversation ended with me getting their fastest internet speed for the price of the cheapest and all new equipment installed with no change to my monthly bill.

***my monthly fee for internet and the U300 package is $114***
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2016, 07:45:47 AM »
The more you squeeze them, the more they give up.  I do that to Comcast all the time.  In this day and age they have to.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2016, 07:47:16 AM »
The weird thing is I didn't threaten to leave. Though I did say to a rep "The day Google Fiber comes to my city, I'm dumping you guys" a few weeks ago when they called me at work. Comcast only has one other competitor in my area, and their best internet speeds are on par with Comcast's lowest. I'm really surprised Comcast made that offer. They must be getting shit on and are looking to keep their image positive in any way they can.

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2016, 07:59:25 AM »
Did this a year ago. Still have internet service, but that's it.

For watching TV

HD Tv ($?? Whatever you want) + HD Antennae ($10.00) + TIVO Romeo ($59.99)

Using an antennae is nothing like the rabbit ears anymore. It's this little flimsy vinyl thing you stick on your window and that's it. We get HD reception perfectly 90% of the time on way more channels than we'd ever thought. Granted, I live in a major city. If I didn't, we'd rely more on the other services than we do.

For specific shows and such, the TIVO Romeo is hooked in with Neflix, HULU and Amazon Prime. You can pretty much find anything you want, whenever you want it. Adding up the monthly cost of Tivo, netflix and Amazon prime we use, It's about $18 a month vs the $80 a month or so we were paying COX.

Don't miss cable at all.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2016, 08:08:10 AM »
There is (1) channel that keeps me from cutting the cord.....Fox Sports Midwest. All the Cardinal and Blues games are broadcast on it. If that was streamable, I'd have dropped cable ages ago. But it's not....so....I won't. Watching ballgames and hockey is necessary in my house.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2016, 08:17:12 AM »
Comcast was doing that 10 years ago, honestly. I call and demand better deals annually. Which, now that we talk about it, reminds me of something to add to today's agenda.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »
Yup, call and complain then threaten to leave usually winds up with a better deal for you... except when i tried that with directv.  I went through and cancelled.  I bet they wished they gave me the deal I was asking for (which was just not to raise my price after I moved).  Anyway recently did the same with Verizon (although I didn't need to complain, just asked what they could do to keep me a customer) and for $10 cheaper, I got showtime (and some other channels like Paladia), an upgraded router, and doubled my internet speed (I now have 50 up/down  :metal).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »
I didn't even threaten to leave. I just wanted an explanation as to why, over wifi vs ethernet, my download speeds dropped by almost 80% and my upload speeds didn't change.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2017, 08:00:55 AM »
I downsized/cut the cord a few months ago.  Bought a few Roku streaming sticks and subscribed to Playstation Vue for TV.  I have Comcast for internet (used to have them for Cable TV too) only.  My Comcast tv cost increased by $40 per month and I hated having to haggle for "promotional" pricing.  I was NEVER able to get them to reduce my cost, regardless of any threats to cancel, but had all of these relatives that told me their success stories in getting their packages lowered.  Whatever, I cancelled TV with them and am happy now.

I don't have the time to put into finding the best or cheapest streaming package, but Vue works for me.  My wife misses having A&E, but she's fine without it for now.  Vue gives me access to the Big Ten network, so I can watch certain college sports, and it has a free/included cloud DVR for 28 day storage.  I can always downsize to Sling or lose some of Vue's content to cut the cost a little further.

Overall, I'm saving around $50 per month, and a little less now that we subscribe to HBO Now/Go. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »
My brother brought up the idea of going with Playstation Vue and cutting the cord.  His savings estimated to be $15, which I said is not worth it.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2017, 08:21:31 AM »
I downsized/cut the cord a few months ago.  Bought a few Roku streaming sticks and subscribed to Playstation Vue for TV.  I have Comcast for internet (used to have them for Cable TV too) only.  My Comcast tv cost increased by $40 per month and I hated having to haggle for "promotional" pricing.  I was NEVER able to get them to reduce my cost, regardless of any threats to cancel, but had all of these relatives that told me their success stories in getting their packages lowered.  Whatever, I cancelled TV with them and am happy now.

I don't have the time to put into finding the best or cheapest streaming package, but Vue works for me.  My wife misses having A&E, but she's fine without it for now.  Vue gives me access to the Big Ten network, so I can watch certain college sports, and it has a free/included cloud DVR for 28 day storage.  I can always downsize to Sling or lose some of Vue's content to cut the cost a little further.

Overall, I'm saving around $50 per month, and a little less now that we subscribe to HBO Now/Go.

My family recently did almost the same thing. Comcast bundle package kept going up and up, so we cancelled it and now just get internet through Comcast. Got Playstation Vue, got Amazon Fire Sticks for the TVs in the house, and we are pretty happy.

Vue covers most of the shows we follow, we have Netflix too, so there's all that content. We have found that during peak hours, even though we have really fast internet (Comcast Blast), watching live stuff on Vue can get glitchy, but the on demand and DVR stuff usually works great. Plus, I downloaded a bunch of other apps that having the Vue subscription allows us to access (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, NBCSports, TNT, TBS, etc...) there's even more stuff available there.

All in all, there are a couple things I miss about my big cable package, but the result is us saving about $60 per month. Can't complain at all.

Oh and also, Vue has Disney Junior included in their cheapest package (at least in my area) which is huge. My two year old daughter loves a bunch of those shows, so having that live, on demand, and DVR'd on all the TVs, the iPad, the iPhones, etc... is clutch.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2017, 08:24:29 AM »
My brother brought up the idea of going with Playstation Vue and cutting the cord.  His savings estimated to be $15, which I said is not worth it.

Yeah I agree, if it only would have saved me $15 a month, I wouldn't have done it. Cable is still the best, highest quality, most channels, etc...option.

But for us, like I posted above we are saving about $60 per month, so we made the switch. We might go back to cable eventually, but right now that savings is way too nice. We watched our Comcast bill go up and up over time, I've had success in the past calling and getting a promo rate again, but when I call recently they didn't budge, so I dropped the big expensive package and went down to just internet.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2017, 08:27:01 AM »

It depends on one's goal.  I was tired of the promotional pricing issues and will have a huge change in budget this fall.  Comcast just arbitrarily increases pricing on cable TV, and then once your promotion is expired, the price jumps and there's no guarantee that you can get them back down.  I got tired of paying $186 for cable TV and internet and I could never get them any cheaper than that, though I know a lot of people in my same area did get them to go a low lower for the same package.  So I gave up all together and cancelled to save money and the hassle.

Vue offers set pricing, with no contract.  So now my TV/internet total cost is more around $135.  I also selected a mid-tier package, since I don't need EVERY channel.  I find that I seem to be blacked out on some network stations for certain things (i.e, if ABC is showing a Cubs game), but other than that it's been working great. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2017, 08:27:43 AM »

Yeah I agree, if it only would have saved me $15 a month, I wouldn't have done it. Cable is still the best, highest quality, most channels, etc...option.

But for us, like I posted above we are saving about $60 per month, so we made the switch. We might go back to cable eventually, but right now that savings is way too nice. We watched our Comcast bill go up and up over time, I've had success in the past calling and getting a promo rate again, but when I call recently they didn't budge, so I dropped the big expensive package and went down to just internet.

Yea, I told my brother to wait out till our contract expires in another year before we consider it again (ending the contract would also cost us which isnt taken into account in the savings).  At that point, Verizon raising the bill will likely lead us to cut, but maybe they don't raise the price due to that option.  We will see, but I agree that TV is still the better option at that price point, but yea $60 a month is significant to make that jump.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »
Oh and also, Vue has Disney Junior included in their cheapest package (at least in my area) which is huge. My two year old daughter loves a bunch of those shows, so having that live, on demand, and DVR'd on all the TVs, the iPad, the iPhones, etc... is clutch.

I know that Roku has a free Disney Junior channel/app that we use for my daughter - not sure if it's available on a firestick.  They give you quite a bit of on-demand content, plus I have some cartoons set up on Vue for DVR as well. 

I should have purchased firesticks, since they have a better user interface for Vue.  Roku's interface is so generic and hard to find the channel you want in the live tv setting.  But the savings is there for me, so I'm content.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »
Wow. I cut the cord when I got sick of paying $80/mo. I can't fathom being happy about only paying $135. I suppose it's easier for me, though, not having to care what a wife and children have to watch.

It'll be interesting to see how all of this unfolds once Comcast and Charter start choosing up their preferred services. It's already enough of a mess with different services and apps required for all of the various programming. Now we should start to see added fees on top of those for the cablecos to provide adequate service for them.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2017, 09:20:07 AM »
I know that Roku has a free Disney Junior channel/app that we use for my daughter - not sure if it's available on a firestick.  They give you quite a bit of on-demand content, plus I have some cartoons set up on Vue for DVR as well. 

I should have purchased firesticks, since they have a better user interface for Vue.  Roku's interface is so generic and hard to find the channel you want in the live tv setting.  But the savings is there for me, so I'm content.

I'll have to check and see if the Disney Junior app is available on the Firestick, I can't believe I haven't yet. The Firestick interface with Vue and my other apps is really good, nice and clean.

Also, cram mentioned the no contract thing, that was another factor for us too. The internet I now have through Comcast is no contract just like Vue. So now I can cancel either at any time, which is great.

Wow. I cut the cord when I got sick of paying $80/mo. I can't fathom being happy about only paying $135. I suppose it's easier for me, though, not having to care what a wife and children have to watch.

It'll be interesting to see how all of this unfolds once Comcast and Charter start choosing up their preferred services. It's already enough of a mess with different services and apps required for all of the various programming. Now we should start to see added fees on top of those for the cablecos to provide adequate service for them.

:lol The wife and kid play a big part, they have stuff they like to watch. Before I cancelled my Comcast Triple Play thing, we were paying $160 a month. Crazy how much it had gone up in a couple years. Now with the internet, Vue, and Netflix we are around $100 per month. Not cheap, but saving $60 in the monthly budget is great.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2017, 09:24:30 AM »
I pay $160 a month.  I need my sports and HBO.  Wanting those two is what gets me.  But it's nice to have all the extra channels.  I don't watch most of them, but part of why $15 isnt enough to convince me to cut the cable is because it's nice to have those extra channels when you have guests over.  Or just laying in bed and channel surfing.  Also, it's nice because TV works when the internet is down (which is rare, but has happened enough for me to make note of it).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2017, 09:26:49 AM »

:lol The wife and kid play a big part, they have stuff they like to watch. Before I cancelled my Comcast Triple Play thing, we were paying $160 a month. Crazy how much it had gone up in a couple years. Now with the internet, Vue, and Netflix we are around $100 per month. Not cheap, but saving $60 in the monthly budget is great.

As a rule I'd rather play a game than just watch something. If I do want to just watch something I can just as easily watch Youtube for hours on end and be absolutely captivated, whether it's something educational, musical, or just drunk Russians being funny. I also have an advantage in that I find most TV programming to be infuriatingly annoying nowadays. Every once in a while something will come along that really works for me, Breaking Bad was probably the last thing, but outside of those I just don't want TV in my house. On top of that, once you go without having to see commercials for a few years they become absolutely excruciating. Hell, that's why I steal NFL games from other countries, even at a loss of picture quality.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »

As a rule I'd rather play a game than just watch something. If I do want to just watch something I can just as easily watch Youtube for hours on end and be absolutely captivated, whether it's something educational, musical, or just drunk Russians being funny. I also have an advantage in that I find most TV programming to be infuriatingly annoying nowadays. Every once in a while something will come along that really works for me, Breaking Bad was probably the last thing, but outside of those I just don't want TV in my house. On top of that, once you go without having to see commercials for a few years they become absolutely excruciating. Hell, that's why I steal NFL games from other countries, even at a loss of picture quality.

I hear you, I'm getting there too. Like I said, my daughter has her shows she wants to watch, my wife has hers. For me, it's a couple specific things, beyond that, I didn't watch 75% of the channels I got on my cable package.

For us, cutting the cord and doing this streaming thing is working. It's definitely not perfect, but it works for what we want to watch.

Offline Cable

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2017, 03:27:34 PM »
I pay $160 a month.  I need my sports and HBO.  Wanting those two is what gets me.  But it's nice to have all the extra channels.  I don't watch most of them, but part of why $15 isnt enough to convince me to cut the cable is because it's nice to have those extra channels when you have guests over.  Or just laying in bed and channel surfing.  Also, it's nice because TV works when the internet is down (which is rare, but has happened enough for me to make note of it).

The sports is always the unique thing, and the last thing the providers have a near monopoly on. But everything else, including HBO, can be obtained piecemeal now.
---

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2017, 04:14:19 PM »
I haven't had TV in the last 8 years or so. As EB pointed out, the world of YouTube channels is amazing. Add a bit of Netflix and the vet rare Google Play movie, and I hadn't missed anything. In fact, I get to only ever see regular TV when I travel for work and sit in a hotel room, and I'm always stunned at how bad it is.

I do get the sports angle though. Luckily I follow soccer which I can watch streamed for $150/year.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2017, 10:03:03 AM »

The sports is always the unique thing, and the last thing the providers have a near monopoly on. But everything else, including HBO, can be obtained piecemeal now.

Bumping this thread since.... time has come where my 2 year contract has expired and need to rethink things here as soon as my price jumped 30 bucks to 190 as I go month to month now.  Verizon is offering to keep everything the same but add on more sports channels for $30 bucks cheaper to make it $130 a month.  Personally, I like my set up and a price cut works for me.  My brother thinks PSVue has a good deal as it gets all the sports channels.  I think it comes out around the same price so not sure it's worth it personally, but does anyone have experience with PSVue?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2017, 10:17:27 AM »

As a rule I'd rather play a game than just watch something. If I do want to just watch something I can just as easily watch Youtube for hours on end and be absolutely captivated, whether it's something educational, musical, or just drunk Russians being funny. I also have an advantage in that I find most TV programming to be infuriatingly annoying nowadays. Every once in a while something will come along that really works for me, Breaking Bad was probably the last thing, but outside of those I just don't want TV in my house. On top of that, once you go without having to see commercials for a few years they become absolutely excruciating.

We WILL NOT WATCH a show in real time for that very reason.  Once in a blue moon I will stop the fast forward to watch a commercial (usually a movie trailer) but other than that.... ugh, it's like having a root canal done through your anus.   

Hell, that's why I steal NFL games from other countries, even at a loss of picture quality.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2017, 10:24:07 AM »
Yea, my gf and I will pause a show if we want to watch it "live" and come back to it just so we can fast forward the commercials and still time it to end just on time.  Essentially wait 15 minutes for an hour long show.  It's not like I am on twitter chatting about it in the moment.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »

Bumping this thread since.... time has come where my 2 year contract has expired and need to rethink things here as soon as my price jumped 30 bucks to 190 as I go month to month now.  Verizon is offering to keep everything the same but add on more sports channels for $30 bucks cheaper to make it $130 a month.  Personally, I like my set up and a price cut works for me.  My brother thinks PSVue has a good deal as it gets all the sports channels.  I think it comes out around the same price so not sure it's worth it personally, but does anyone have experience with PSVue?

I have PS Vue and am pleased.  It's the closest thing that I've seen to having cable.  Some cord cutters go to extreme lengths to obtain access to channels, but for $45 a month (their cheapest plan is $40), I get a package of channels that works for me.  They also have a sports add-on for season-pass type stuff like NFL Redzone.  They also provide 5 streams per household/account and individual profiles for multiple users to set up favorites.

They have a 28 day cloud DVR.  Record up to 300 shows/movies, and it will record EVERY airing and store it for 28 days.  Some shows change to On Demand airings a day later, which forces you to watch commercials.  I've only experienced that once, maybe. 

Vue does have the most app-supported logins compared to other streaming television providers, so you could enter in your credentials and watch programs or sports through individual channel networks (WatchESPN, CBS Sports Go, etc.) as well.

Vue does not have contracts with A&E/History or Viacom (MTV, CMT, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, Spike), so you'd have to find another way to access those channels if you want them.  They also don't have a channel up/down button, so you can't just change channels or type in the number of the channel you want.  You have to exit to the guide and then select a different channel or show.

You may want to go to their website and punch in your zip code to see which city's package you'd receive.  Not all packages have your local affiliate networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox), but if you live in a major city's viewing area, you probably will have them all (I'm 50 miles from Chicago, but am still within their viewing area for local networks).

That being said, if you are happy with the price and content you currently receive, then don't change.  I got sick of dealing with Comcast and their promotional pricing.  Customer Service never reduced my price and I'd have to beat them up just to get some promotion for 2 years.  So I went with Vue - cancelling TV gave me better negotiating power for their internet price.  My TV/internet bill was $186 on a Comcast promotion and jumped to $214 per month after my contract or promotion ended.  They would have lowered it back to $186, but I was done with having to fight them and pay additional fees for extra tuners.  PS Vue is $45 and I negotiated my internet down to $45, so I'm paying $90 per month for TV and internet.  I cut my monthly cost in half, but I did have to give up some TV channels that I liked to make it happen. 

I also own my cable model and router, and bought 3 Roku sticks, so I'm not renting any equipment from Comcast.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2017, 10:26:53 AM »
I'll just throw out that streaming sports has greatly improved over the last year. It's harder to find SKY feeds but I have no problem at all watching any NFL game I want in HD on my 57" TV. As more and more people wise up and cut the cord the number of people using P2P to watch sports increases and the quality gets better. Reddit has also improved the situation tremendously.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2017, 10:30:48 AM »
Thanks for the info Grappler, other than an initial purchase of some chromecasts to my bedroom and basement TVs, that actually sounds really good.  I got to see if I can get Verizon to drop the price of internet a bit and then maybe that's the way to go.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2017, 10:36:11 AM »
I'll just throw out that streaming sports has greatly improved over the last year. It's harder to find SKY feeds but I have no problem at all watching any NFL game I want in HD on my 57" TV. As more and more people wise up and cut the cord the number of people using P2P to watch sports increases and the quality gets better. Reddit has also improved the situation tremendously.

I've read that Vue streams sports in 60 fps, which is apparently a higher rate than usual (24fps?).  The video quality is very good and usually surpasses the free Comcast/Xfinity streaming TV that is included in my internet.  Vue is definitely the most sports-friendly cord cutting/streaming television provider.

I don't believe that they have surround sound capability, and my Roku sticks don't support it anyways.