Author Topic: Black Mirror Discussionings - Dat Mirror So Black Doe; How It Get So Black?  (Read 20204 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Black Mirror Discussionings - Dat Mirror So Black Doe; How It Get So Black?
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2016, 11:56:09 AM »
Late to the party, I just started watching so I've seen only the first two episodes of season one: the pig one, and the 15 million credits one.

Both good, but 15 Millions Credit was just a nightmare. It started so great, with the "wake up app" that made me think it would be cool to live in an house like that, and then it slowly unfolded the cruel reality of that dystopian world.

Do you think the judge at the end was smart, in trying to break down the protagonist's spirit and talk him out of a rebellion or even his suicide, or he was so self-absorbed that he was truly convinced the guy just wanted to rant and it was all just a performance?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2016, 09:02:12 PM »
Late to the party, I just started watching so I've seen only the first two episodes of season one: the pig one, and the 15 million credits one.

Both good, but 15 Millions Credit was just a nightmare. It started so great, with the "wake up app" that made me think it would be cool to live in an house like that, and then it slowly unfolded the cruel reality of that dystopian world.

Do you think the judge at the end was smart, in trying to break down the protagonist's spirit and talk him out of a rebellion or even his suicide, or he was so self-absorbed that he was truly convinced the guy just wanted to rant and it was all just a performance?

Maybe a bit of both. As the guy said in his speech, the people didn't really care about anything real and meaningful, they just cared about being spoonfed empty entertainment and trends, and the judge saw the opportunity to exploit this guy's 15 minutes of fame for just that. Whether he did it to corrupt/exploit the guy, or just to keep him out of trouble probably doesn't matter, because the judge knew the audience wouldn't take any real meaning from it, just jumping on it as the latest fad. The irony of it was delicious.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2016, 03:17:40 PM »
From a recommendation of a friend, we watched 'San Junipero' last night.

Yes, it is a Season 3 episode. 

We will now watch the other 'scarier', or 'quirkier' episodes starting with the first.  But, now we are hooked.  On a scale of 1-10, it's an 11 compared to what else is mostly offered on the tube.  Looking forward to the rest of the shows, and to seeing this again

and again

and again

Beautifully done. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2016, 05:24:16 AM »
I really enjoyed the new series.  The only episode I didn't think much too was 'Shut Up and Dance' - chilling ending, but to much mucking around to get there.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2016, 12:55:59 PM »
Finally watching the new season.

Nosedive was a great setting and a lot of really good stuff, but I found it just slightly below par. Not the concepts, but some of the storytelling felt a bit forced.

Playtest was excellent though, pretty brilliant all round. Especially after they'd hit you with a couple of twists already and then hit you with the final twist right at the end.

EDIT: And just caught Shut Up and Dance this morning on my commute. Again excellent concept, mostly really great and pretty soul-destroying (the use of Radiohead's Exit Music at the end was haunting). A couple of fairly forced clichés again though, don't remember feeling there was as much of this in the first two seasons but maybe there were - feels a bit like they needed to pad the story out slightly to a full hour. On the flipside, I would say this was the scariest episode yet as there's nothing "futuristic" about it - every other episode has been based around some sort of logical extension of the direction technology and its use are going in, whereas this one literally happens already.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 02:34:02 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »
As I said before, I'm late to the party.

Yesterday I watched the second episode of the second season, White Bear... now that was a twist I didn't see coming! (In the sense that I didn't even figure out something was amiss)

The killer basically didn't know why she was punished, and when she learnt it, she got her mind erased again anyway, but then again putting her in a bad situation without knowing why it was happening and being filmed during it was the entire point of the retribution. But since this was happening day after day, the line between proper punishment and voyeur torture is starting to get thin.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2016, 09:35:52 PM »
I haven't read this thread because I'm worried about spoilers but I'm starting Black Mirror tonight.  I've heard (and I don't know how accurate this is) that it's like a modern day twilight zone.

Online faizoff

« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2016, 09:57:24 PM »
I haven't read this thread because I'm worried about spoilers but I'm starting Black Mirror tonight.  I've heard (and I don't know how accurate this is) that it's like a modern day twilight zone.
That would be accurate.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2016, 10:06:20 PM »
The comparison to Twilight Zone is actually the reason I checked the show out, and was not disappointed. Black Mirror is generally more focused on particular aspects of society, while Twilight Zone was often more random and diverse, but it's definitely the closest comparison, and some common themes show through from each show's main writer.
Both shows are amazing though. :hat

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2016, 02:50:21 PM »
Just finished up San Junipero. Finally an episode that didn't have a soul crushing ending  :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »
Just finished up San Junipero. Finally an episode that didn't have a soul crushing ending  :lol
Literally the only one. :lol Wonderful episode though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2016, 09:00:41 PM »
Yeah, don't get used to the happy endings. :lol
I thought it was amusing that the most upbeat ending is the one where the quadraplegic coma old lady and the terminally ill old lady have themselves euthanized. But it worked so well! I had tears at the end of that one.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2016, 09:46:06 PM »
I almost didn't enjoy the ending because I was expecting the hammer to drop at any second but it never did.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2016, 11:46:01 PM »
I think I enjoyed the ending more because I wasn't expecting it to end well. With most shows and movies, you can assume the happy ending, but with Black Mirror you assume otherwise, so that made it more rewarding for me.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »
Just finished a good binge watch of this show, and I watched everything out of order.

I didn't watch The National Anthem till like 3rd to last, as I don't think that's a good episode to start with. I started with White Bear and it turns out it's my least favorite, though I still really enjoy it.

My top 5:

1. Fifteen Million Merits (Bing's speech probably the best scene of the entire show)
2. The Entire History of You (Heartbreaking, and an easy one to relate to in terms of having trouble letting things go.)
3. Nosedive (Bryce Dallas Howard did an incredible job and arguably the best ending of the series, I love the name calling between the two in their cells. I imagine they ended up together after that)
4. White Christmas (Probably the best written out of the series, great acting and a mindbending story)
5. San Junipero (Very well done, beautiful story)

Enjoyed every episode. I found The Waldo Moment to be very enjoyable and sad (reminds me of USA 2016). Playtest was super fun and creepy. Shut Up and Dance made me sick to my stomach. The most oddball episode to me was Hated in The Nation. Felt more like a Fincher film than it did a Black Mirror episode. Good stuff though. Can't wait for the next six!

I really love and hate the feeling of finishing a wonderful show (or at least catching up to the most recent stuff). I love it because it was one hell of a ride watching these episodes, and I hate it because it's hard for me to transition into something new without thinking so much about what I just watched it. I had the same problem with Six Feet Under --> The Leftovers. I thought the first season was just pretty good but I couldn't stop thinking about how great SFU was. It wasn't until a rewatch of The Leftovers until I really appreciated the first season. There's plenty of great things to watch but I might have to take a little break.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2016, 04:10:31 AM »
Continuing to catch up, I watched White Christmas. I figured out a bit before the twist what was the deal with the two guys in the room, but I didn't see it coming from afar. The whole blocking thing, probably a parody of blocking on social media, would be very terrifying if it would exist, and it probably would lead to way too many crimes or act of violence out of sheer frustration.

The cookie thing also has a bit of a dilemma like the one of The Prestige (you know, the movie with Batman and Wolverine which isn't a superhero movie), and the whole clones deal - why would the rich woman condemn "herself but not really herself" to a lifetime of servitude to herself? she either didn't understand the implications or just didn't care? would you do that to "you but not really you" knowing that at the very same time you'd be both happy and tortured for eternity?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2016, 08:27:08 AM »
Watched the first season last night. Very interesting series. National Anthem was ate up, peculiar take on 'art' but the ridiculousness of it is the point i suppose. some of the things that people get away with while claiming 'art' or the at their exercising some 'right' is getting carried away.

15 Million credits was such a great statement and dig at society in general it's not even funny. I agree with FlyingBiscuit that Bings speech was awesome, and the subsequent 'selling out' and becoming part of the thing he hates makes a perfect, true statement.

The entire history of you was tough to watch, especially since i ruined my first 'serious' relationship due to raging jealousy in nearly the same manner that dude did. Couldn't get over my GF's past and due to my own insecurities i went a tad psycho.

Very neat series.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2016, 05:36:03 PM »
Just started watching. First episode was great. Looking forward to watching more.

Edit: Just finished Fifteen Million Merits. That was brilliant.

Episode 3 was very good too. Very sad, but so were the previous 2.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:25:18 PM by NoseofNicko »

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2016, 05:27:09 PM »
The entire history of you was tough to watch, especially since i ruined my first 'serious' relationship due to raging jealousy in nearly the same manner that dude did. Couldn't get over my GF's past and due to my own insecurities i went a tad psycho.

Sorry to hear that. Same thing happened to me with my ex.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »

Sorry to hear that. Same thing happened to me with my ex.

Yeah.....it was a learning experience for sure. I was only 20-21 during that time and as I said it was my first 'serious' relationship But i was in no shape mentally or emotionally to handle it. My insecurities ran my life and that point in time and I was a mess. Large, frequent use of alcohol didn't help either. You live and learn though....I'm where I'm at today because of it and I wouldn't change that in a million years. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2016, 07:18:19 PM »
Men Against Fire was really, really good, maybe my favorite. White Bear and San Junipero are up there too. On to the last episode.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2016, 07:30:19 PM »
Men Against Fire was really, really good.

Lol just came here to say exactly this. It's not my favorite, but I think it's one of the best. Not sure why it's the second lowest rated episode on IMDb.

Anyway, I gave all of the first 5 episodes of Season 3 9/10. Only one episode and it's over... :(

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2016, 07:33:30 PM »
I think one of the things that drives the ratings is that seasons 1 and 2 were several years ago so they've marinated with people and are cherished for that initial run. The newer season is very new so there's that "old vs new" thing that comes up since the series changed platforms. We're in the boat of watching it all for the first time so every episode is on that same level. Honestly, there really isn't a bad episode.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »
I totally expected/wanted Extreme Ways to start playing at the very end of the last episode.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
Mentioned earlier, we watched 'San Junipero' first, due to a friend's recommendation (she gave us a 'San Junipero' tee shirt for xmas, btw).

Done with Season 2.  Thank goodness that we didn't see 'The National Anthem' first.  I don't think I would have continued on to all of the brilliant episodes that have followed.  Troubling, but brilliant.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2016, 03:24:39 PM »
Yep, I did the same exact thing with a lady friend who now loves the show. She STILL hasn't seen National Anthem but I'm telling her to wait to have it be the second to last episode she watches. It shouldn't be the end note and it shouldn't be the beginning. Honestly, I wouldn't mind taking it out of the equation at all and it's the ONLY BM episode I genuinely dislike. It's just not very good in my opinion. Not a strong enough tech presence for the show's entire concept and not a strong enough political opinion or statement to warrant the subject matter. But she started off with San Junipero and from there got addicted.

Big jump from someone who loves shows like Gilmore Girls and Parenthood.  :rollin :lol Says a lot about the show.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I watched the first three episodes of this last night. What the fuck am I watching? I absolutely love it and loathe it at the same time. It's a very weird feeling.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I watched the first three episodes of this last night. What the fuck am I watching? I absolutely love it and loathe it at the same time. It's a very weird feeling.

Totally get it. That's where I'm at. I have two episodes to go then I'm finished and caught up. I dont think there's been one I didn't like but i certainly have favorites.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Finally watched Season 1 episode 2 "Fifteen Million Merits".

That was pretty cool.  Very effective piece of television.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I'm not sure if I messed up watching this show or not. Victoria has been in control of the remote this whole time, so I never actually selected the episodes we watched. For whatever reason, Netflix defaulted to playing Season 3 first. So it turns out I haven't watched the first four episodes and instead have watched the the last four.

I really enjoy this show. It's an extreme case of the feels and it seems to hit you where it hurts no matter where you stand on a given topic. It's brilliant.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2017, 06:42:28 AM »
Men Against Fire was really, really good.

Lol just came here to say exactly this. It's not my favorite, but I think it's one of the best. Not sure why it's the second lowest rated episode on IMDb.

My feeling with this episode was it was enjoyable, but nothing we haven't seen before.  Lacked the originally of the better episodes.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2017, 06:45:37 AM »
I'm not sure if I messed up watching this show or not. Victoria has been in control of the remote this whole time, so I never actually selected the episodes we watched. For whatever reason, Netflix defaulted to playing Season 3 first. So it turns out I haven't watched the first four episodes and instead have watched the the last four.

I really enjoy this show. It's an extreme case of the feels and it seems to hit you where it hurts no matter where you stand on a given topic. It's brilliant.

Yeah. It's listed in reverse order on my Netflix as well, if you're not paying close attention it's very easy to start with the last episode of season three.

I agree about the feels as well....this show seems to be one big social commentsry with seasons two and three directed entirely at the whole technology aspect of our lives and culture.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2017, 07:35:59 PM »
Saw 'White Christmas' last week.

In '92, I grabbed an EMI UK holiday CD, because it had Queen's 'Thank God It's Christmas' included.  Had never heard it before.  The same goes with Wizzard's 'I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day' (I like them both in small doses).  Maybe they should have shown the video of this in the episode for a little more effect ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM_H4CAAYxc

Oh, and yet another great episode.  Facebook 'blocking' set to the ultimate extreme.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2017, 11:41:17 PM »
Just watched 'Playtest' and  'Shut Up and Dance' over the past week

sunuvabeech....those were harsh.  Stories good, and creepy as all frick.

Glad we get to watch 'San Junipero' again next.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »
Here's the new teaser for Season 4:

https://youtu.be/oH85obU350E