Author Topic: Black Mirror Discussionings - Dat Mirror So Black Doe; How It Get So Black?  (Read 20202 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Couple things before beginning:
1. I thought there was already a Black Mirror thread but couldn't find one so I'm starting this one, if there is then go ahead and merge puhleeeze.
2. I'm still confused on the whole TV thread given the whole sub forum for movies/TV so I'm assuming the TV thread is defunct and we just create whole topics for shows/movies now. I was about to start a whole other TV thread and realized that'd probably be redundant...but I'm still not sure. There isn't a TV thread anymore, is there? I dunno. I dunno what's going on, guys. I have had zero sleep the past day sooo...lezgo

REFLECTING DARKNESS! This show is amazing if anyone hasn't seen it yet. Watch it. Just watch it without knowing anything. Done? Kcoolletstalk.

I just finished White Christmas and holy shitfire that was amazing. It's basically a Black Mirror movie but better. Netflix is going to have it's own Black Mirror season and I'm really hoping that they hit the ball out of the park like White Christmas did. The whole series is fantastically amazing but White Christmas was on another level, I thought. It's a perfect blend of techno-horror-mystery-drama. There is really nowhere they can't go with this show, which is the greatest thing about it. I hope Netflix brings the creep with the new season and keeps pumping it out, that would be ideally awesome. I am super excited there is a lot more than we have gotten in the past and am equally worried because...well, most oftentimes quality dips with quantity. If they can balance the two though...I will be one elated fornicator of mothers.

Anyway, I'm not too sure there is enough interest in the show for this thing to last long at all, which is why I thought of posting it in a general thread first but it seems entire threads for shows are the only way to go now so here it is you curmudgeons.

Has anyone seen White Christmas? What do you think of it? Anyone excited for the new Netflix season? If you haven't seen it go check it out if you like mystery/pseudo-horror/techno-creeps.
Is anyone's mirror actually black? If so, how dat mirror get so black? Did you paint it? If so, how is it still reflective?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Black Mirror is awesome!

White Christmas was great, though not as great as some of the individual episodes. My favourite has to be White Rabbit - that is some bleak, devastating shit right there. Blew me away the first time I saw it, and I saw it again recently and it was still crushing, even when I knew what was coming.

Not sure why Channel 4 chose not to pick up any further seasons of the show, but am very glad that Netflix did instead. As long as Charlier Brooker still has these great ideas, they should keep making the show.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Yeah White Rabbit was my favorite before White Christmas, it's fantastic and probably my favorite above WC in the moments where I want something a little bleaker and more dystopian.

RIP DTP.

Online faizoff

Finally got round to seeing all the episodes for this show. Amazing series. I know this is an older thread but just had to point out that the posts above me are referring to the title of episode 2 of season 2 incorrectly. It's white bear and not white rabbit. Anyways I think White bear and White Christmas were my favorite episodes. I was lukewarm to the 15 million merits one and didn't really care for the Waldo one even though it had some funny moments.
I can't wait to see what Netflix do with it but really hope like mentioned quality doesn't suffer when there is so much more quantity.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

SebastianPratesi

Finally got round to seeing all the episodes for this show. Amazing series. I know this is an older thread but just had to point out that the posts above me are referring to the title of episode 2 of season 2 incorrectly. It's white bear and not white rabbit. Anyways I think White bear and White Christmas were my favorite episodes. I was lukewarm to the 15 million merits one and didn't really care for the Waldo one even though it had some funny moments.
I can't wait to see what Netflix do with it but really hope like mentioned quality doesn't suffer when there is so much more quantity.
What did you think of 'The National Anthem'?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Ahhh yes, White Bear. Wow I forgot about this thread. I'm ready for a new season, damn it. It feels like an eternity ago when Netflix announced their partnership with the creators even though it hasn't been all that long.

I know the question wasn't directed at me but The National Anthem is by far and away my least favorite episode. Not just because of the cringe worthy material but it's just not all that interesting to me. It probably says something that I have zero interest in politics though so I suppose it makes sense it's my least favorite. Even then it's social commentary at it's finest; pretty much what the show does. It just did so in a way that bored me a little and made me heavily cringe as opposed to the others which fascinated me and made me want to delve deeper into the mythos of whichever episode.

Be Right Back is one of my "newer" favorites. I didn't pay much attention other than just morbid fascination originally but I watched the series again a few weeks ago (I think I watch the series every few months...) and liked it a lot more for whatever reason. It's really great.

RIP DTP.

Online faizoff

That was awesome too. I think my favorite episode in season 1 was the last episode. I didn't hate any episodes of the show. They were all great and dealt with great themes with each episode just thought those two I mentioned before were not flat out amazing but more like average alright episodes.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

SebastianPratesi

That was awesome too. I think my favorite episode in season 1 was the last episode. I didn't hate any episodes of the show. They were all great and dealt with great themes with each episode just thought those two I mentioned before were not flat out amazing but more like average alright episodes.
Oh yeah. I don't remember much about the 'Waldo' episode - I didn't have much fun with it. I did like the '15 million merits' episode.

Still, 'The National Anthem' is my favourite from season 1. Which is weird, since it's the only episode which doesn't feature any sci-fi or futuristic technology. It could easily happen right now.

Be Right Back is one of my "newer" favorites. I didn't pay much attention other than just morbid fascination originally but I watched the series again a few weeks ago (I think I watch the series every few months...) and liked it a lot more for whatever reason. It's really great.
Which one was that? The one in which the girl starts speaking to her dead boyfriend?

Online faizoff

Which one was that? The one in which the girl starts speaking to her dead boyfriend?
Right that's episode 1 from season 2 with agent Carter and General Hux.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I finally got started on this show. I just finished the first episode, and while it wasn't my preference for reasons stated by others, I quite enjoyed it. Many familiar faces, and the quality of writing was very good. Can't wait to dig in to the rest!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online faizoff

IMO It keeps getting better each episode. So Netflix has announced the release date for six new episodes (season 3) will be Oct.21. Can't wait!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Is it still the same people creating the show? It will be strange basically doubling the number of episodes at once. :lol

I'm only 10 minutes into the next episode, and already loving it. It has the main actress from Killjoys, and the premise is right up my alley. I recall I read the plot for this one years ago while looking into the show, so I think I kinda sorta know what happens, but I don't care.

Online faizoff

Same creative minds I believe, writer and all.. I think Netflix are just producing it and releasing it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Cool, that's good to hear.

Finished Fifteen Million Merits, and absolutely loved it. The whole scenario was an interesting and fun extrapolation of certain aspects of society, and I loved the irony of the ending. The writing again was really good. When it got to the part where he was grinding to get another 15 mil, I realized how cleverly they'd set up lots of little points without being blatant or obvious.

Online faizoff

The more I think about the episodes of this show the more I love it and want to rewatch them. Like I mentioned all episodes are fantastic but some more than others for me. Not a single dull moment in any one of them. I've mentioned before but my absolute favorite episodes are the christmas series finale (series finale at the time) and White Bear. Those two are hands down my favorite and are perfect episodes.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Niiice! Awesome to hear there's a release date. I am so hyped for that! :metal

RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
The more I think about the episodes of this show the more I love it and want to rewatch them. Like I mentioned all episodes are fantastic but some more than others for me. Not a single dull moment in any one of them. I've mentioned before but my absolute favorite episodes are the christmas series finale (series finale at the time) and White Bear. Those two are hands down my favorite and are perfect episodes.

Can't wait to get to those, given how great the ones I've already seen have been!

I just watched The Entire History of You. That was awkward and intense in the best way, another great episode. That shit would wreck me. I'd have used that razor on myself, not the memory implant. :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
I remember a while back that Downey Jr. had bought the rights to the story (or some such) to make a movie for it. I wonder if that's still happening because if done right and expanded in the right ways, that'd make a great movie and Downey Jr would rock that shit. That was a while ago though so it might be dead in the water. Then again...might just be taking a while to get going; I think they bought it in 2014 or so.

RIP DTP.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Charlie Brooker is a genius.  I was worried when Netflix got this that Charlie would have less involvement in the show - but looking at the credit of the newly announced 6 episodes he solo wrote 5 of them.

Also if you can get your hands on it, it's really worth seeking out his 'Dead Set' show.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:49:05 AM by soupytwist »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Charlie Brooker is a genius.  I was worried when Netflix got this that Charlie would have less involvement in the show - but looking at the credit of the newly announced 6 episodes he solo wrote 5 of them.

In that case, consider me pumped!

I just finished Be Right Back. I was a little concerned at first it would go with the angle of it being so convincing that you believed it was really him, but the whole point ended up being going in the completely opposite direction. A nice little exploration of humanity, although I'm not sure the ending was completely satisfying for me. Another great episode though.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin

In that case, consider me pumped!

I just finished Be Right Back. I was a little concerned at first it would go with the angle of it being so convincing that you believed it was really him, but the whole point ended up being going in the completely opposite direction. A nice little exploration of humanity, although I'm not sure the ending was completely satisfying for me. Another great episode though.

If you are watching them for the first time in order your in for an absolute treat next!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yup, first time, and going in order. I've been meaning to watch it for years, but only just now getting around to it. I'll easily finish them all off today, because I got nothing better to do. :lol
I see the next episode is White Bear, which seems to be highly regarded here, so I'm looking forward to that, and I don't know anything about it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
although I'm not sure the ending was completely satisfying for me
If you're looking for satisfying endings, I'm not sure Black Mirror is the right show. :lol

And yeah I absolutely loved White Bear, but there's a huge risk that it's been over-hyped for you now! Interested to get your thoughts once you've seen it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
although I'm not sure the ending was completely satisfying for me
If you're looking for satisfying endings, I'm not sure Black Mirror is the right show. :lol

And yeah I absolutely loved White Bear, but there's a huge risk that it's been over-hyped for you now! Interested to get your thoughts once you've seen it.

Nah, it's not overhyped at all, I've literally just seen a couple of people in this thread say it's a favourite. If it's even on par with the rest, I'll love it.

I've found the conclusions of the other episodes quite satisfying, especially Fifteen Million Merits. I guess it felt a bit too middle ground-y and meaningless for me, and didn't really make me think as much as what preceded it. But I don't want to blow it out of proportion, because it was a minor nitpick on another great episode. When you have an anthology show, some episodes are always going to resonate more than others for each individual.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
White Bear - I love when you're just dumped into a new scenario and have to figure out what's going on, then just as you think you're starting to get an idea of where this episode is going, it throws you that curveball 3/4 in that explains it in a way you never saw coming. Even though I've preferred the previous more future-y scifi episodes a bit more, this still had that similarly strong message to it that I liked.

The Waldo Moment - Hm that was also an episode. I didn't find anything likable about the main guy or Waldo, and didn't feel any reason to root for them. It wasn't a bad episode, but with so few episodes, it feels like the one dud so far for me.

Best for last?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Yeah White Bear doesn't have as much of the techy side of things as some other episodes, but from an emotional perspective I thought the twist was mindblowing and easily the best thing the show has done.

And yeah Waldo Moment was definitely less impactful. That and the very first episode are probably the ones I like least, though they're still pretty good.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd agree with Waldo and The National Anthem being the ones I like the least, but even they were still an enjoyable enough watch. If The Waldo Moment is as bad as it gets, I'm ok with it.

The twist in White Bear wasn't my favourite moment, but it was definitely one of the best, and you could tell it came from that same mind. It's the kind of moment that Black Mirror is all about for me.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
"The Entire History of You" was by far my least fav episode, I'd actually go as far to say I didn't like it.   The other 6 were all very good (even Waldo).

Anyone else here seen 'Dead Set'?  Brookers Big Brother meets Zombies pre Black Mirror show.   High recommended if not.

Online faizoff

I'll have to check out Dead set sometime. 'The Entire History of you' was actually my favorite of season 1.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just finished White Christmas. The whole blocking concept annoyed me, and with the ending felt somewhat flawed. The whole mind copy idea was even more flawed.
That said, it was a very well told story with those elements, and had little callbacks to previous episodes that I enjoyed. I figured out what was happening pretty early on, so it was fun seeing it unfold. I enjoy the techy futuristic ones like this the most.

The show so far is everything I hoped it would be. Can't wait for the new episodes now! :tup

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
White Christmas blew me away the first time, definitely my fav chapter. Pumped for the new season  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Having watched them all, I feel obligated as a member of DTF to now rank them. :lol

Fifteen Million Merits

The Entire History of You
White Bear
White Christmas
Be Right Back

The Waldo Moment / The National Anthem

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I just started this show.

That first episode was, well, really something.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
:lol A fine assessment. I figured you might have already watched the show.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
:lol A fine assessment. I figured you might have already watched the show.
Nope.  I had heard good things, and I read that Netflix was bringing it back, and since there are so few episodes already, I figured I would try to catch up.

It was really well-made.  I look forward to continuing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.