Author Topic: 2016-04-30 Chicago Theater, check in and discussion  (Read 7937 times)

Offline jsbru

2016-04-30 Chicago Theater, check in and discussion
« on: December 25, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »
Got two VIP Platinum for Christmas.  Who is all going to this one?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: 2016-04-30 Chicago Theater, check in and discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 03:39:58 AM »
Will be there. I think its my 9th time seeing the band.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 09:38:44 AM »
Got tickets for Christmas too.  Really great gift!  I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline raytheater

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
I got 2 platinum tickets and will be sitting/standing in box 11. Bought the Platinum tickets and emailed Songkick about the seats. Songkick said,"That is just an upgrade to meet the band, it doesn't come with seats. DUH! Okay...good thing I asked, because driving 4.5 hours to see them and didn't get to see them live would suck.
I have seen them twice; Scenes of a Memory and Six Degree tour, this is my first time doing the Platinum upgrade, so I am not sure of the etiquette.

Is the meet going to be after the concert?
Is it okay for me to bring my Mangini Snare so the band can sign it?

Can someone please answer the above questions?

Offline robbob

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 07:00:22 PM »
Will be there, main floor on Petrucci's side. This will be my 5th time seeing them at the Chicago Theater.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 06:14:49 AM »
I got 2 platinum tickets and will be sitting/standing in box 11. Bought the Platinum tickets and emailed Songkick about the seats. Songkick said,"That is just an upgrade to meet the band, it doesn't come with seats. DUH! Okay...good thing I asked, because driving 4.5 hours to see them and didn't get to see them live would suck.
I have seen them twice; Scenes of a Memory and Six Degree tour, this is my first time doing the Platinum upgrade, so I am not sure of the etiquette.

First let me say that I have not done a meet and greet, however, I have seen these questions come up during the past two tours.  From what I understand, the meet is before the concert.  I believe it is ok to bring items to sign but it should be limited to one, maybe two if you want to push it.

Hope this helps, if anyone else has anything to add, please do.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 08:21:09 AM »
This will be my first full DT show.  Previously only saw them open for Iron Maiden.  I'm in 4R row PP, should be good. 

Kind of wish they would do some of their older songs, but hopefully the new album will be great.  Looking forward to it!

Offline jsbru

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 10:34:51 AM »
BTW, I'll be coming up from St. Louis, if anyone is interested in ride sharing.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jremay

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 02:40:07 AM »
I'm traveling from Houston to Chicago to see them. This is my first time visiting Chicago so it will be super exciting. I'm sitting on the floor row D seat 409!

Offline jsbru

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 07:11:22 PM »
I'm traveling from Houston to Chicago to see them. This is my first time visiting Chicago so it will be super exciting. I'm sitting on the floor row D seat 409!

Chicago is probably my favorite city in the US.  I've lived there twice.  If you (or anyone) want recommendations as to where to eat/drink, just ask me.

It might also be cool to have a pre- or post-show meetup somewhere.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 07:14:52 PM »

I have a Ibanez Universe guitar I want signed, too, so I'm interested in the answers to these.  I also have to figure out where I want it signed so that it doesn't get worn off.  I was thinking back of the headstock, but no one can see it there.  And it might be difficult to sign it there.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 09:09:09 PM »
I did the Meet and Greet on the ADTOE tour and I think they went through a different company then so I bet its a little different but mostly the same. 

We were allowed to bring in one item to have signed.  I believe a few people had guitars but the problem is that you will then be stuck with it throughout the concert. 

Better check with the Meet & Greet company

Offline jsbru

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 09:42:44 PM »
I did the Meet and Greet on the ADTOE tour and I think they went through a different company then so I bet its a little different but mostly the same. 

We were allowed to bring in one item to have signed.  I believe a few people had guitars but the problem is that you will then be stuck with it throughout the concert. 

Seems like it wouldn't be hard to just let you return to your car for a minute to put it in the trunk...

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 09:54:27 PM »

Seems like it wouldn't be hard to just let you return to your car for a minute to put it in the trunk...
The problem is, most venues will not let you leave and return.  The M&G I did, they even mentioned how the venue we were at (Rosemont in 2011)  was unusual that they did let you leave and return.  Most would not. 

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 04:32:53 PM »
I got my 8 tickets in December when the presale hit. This will be my 8th DT show  :metal

Offline jsbru

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 09:59:13 PM »
Now that this show is approaching, is there anyone that wants to meet up before or after the show for drinks, etc.?  I have the meet n' greet, so it can't be right before, but any other time...

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 02:35:30 PM »
State & Lake is a decent bar right by the Chicago Theater, next to the Wit Hotel. Solid beer selection. Good spot for pre or post show meet ups if anyone is interested. I'll be there with a few friends definitely before, and possibly after.

21st DT show for me!

Offline shaneandheather2010

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »
Have you gotten any of the specifics yet?  I have the platinum and diamond, and the order confirmation said I would get emailed as the show got closer, but so far nothing and it's Monday.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 08:52:58 PM »
State & Lake is a decent bar right by the Chicago Theater, next to the Wit Hotel. Solid beer selection. Good spot for pre or post show meet ups if anyone is interested. I'll be there with a few friends definitely before, and possibly after.

21st DT show for me!

I'd be up for meeting up, if not for at least one beer.  I'll send you a PM.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 08:53:34 PM »
Have you gotten any of the specifics yet?  I have the platinum and diamond, and the order confirmation said I would get emailed as the show got closer, but so far nothing and it's Monday.

I've heard nothing so far.  Kind of obnoxious.

― Hunter S. Thompson

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »
Tomorrow is Thursday and still nothing. What has your past experience been as far as getting details?

Offline jvelvet3

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 12:17:12 PM »
Does anyone that's either been to the Chicago Theater or to a DT show this tour have any recommendations on seats? I've currently got main floor seats smack dab in the middle (row nn), but I see front row balcony seats for resale. I'm wondering if those would give a better view of the video screens. The screens seem kind low, and I'm bringing a, uh, shorter friend and would hate to have a blocked view on the floor.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 06:04:59 AM »
We've been to DT shows there 3 times and we always sit in booths. I know it's further away from the band, but you get the full PA mix, you have easy access to the bathrooms, and you sit and have a waitress that serves you!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »
Going to this concert tonight! I've been checking around, but I'll ask anyway. Is it safe to assume I'll be able to make the 12:25am metra back home? I don't imagine them playing for longer based on what I've seen in other threads.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 08:50:27 PM »
Intermission. I'm a bit unsure about about the whole "sitting during a metal show" thing. Not much I can do about it though. I feel like ot detracts from the energy of the show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
I am not sure I would call a concert where they are playing nothing but The Astonishing a "metal show." ;)

More like a rock opera show.

Offline jvelvet3

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 11:31:12 PM »
Just got back from the show. Quick review: I loved it! Band sounded great, especially James. Holy cow, the man can sing! John and Jordan were runner-up mvp's, and Mike was amazing as well. The crowd seemed really into it, at least from my view in the balcony - lots of cheering and clapping in between songs or after a solo. The visuals were what I was expecting based on the videos I've seen posted on youtube: enjoyable, but not as immersive as I might have hoped. But as I think about it, while they might not have really told the story as well as I was hoping, that meant that there was (at least for me) a good balance between watching the videos and watching the band, as opposed to just watching the screens the whole time. 

Also, they did have the pamphlets/programs that were asked about in another thread, but they were being given out by ushers when showing guests to their seats. So if you just went right into the theater and found your seats on your own, like I did, you probably didn't get one. I only found out about them when I saw someone else with one (standing in line for the bathroom) and asked about it. So I searched out an usher and grabbed a couple.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 02:31:27 AM »
Yeah, the video screens were not all that helpful but for a few moments.  I appreciated them more for the light-show background effects than what they added to the narrative (which was not much).

Overall, just a mindblowing show.  We are so lucky to have a band to follow that puts in that much work and meticulous effort into producing top-caliber music-as-art.  Musically, the show was a bulls-eye hit.  James sounded perfect; they reproduced the album note for note.

Biggest regret is that the New Beginning solo still only lasted 3 minutes instead of the 15-minute jam it could have turned into  ;D

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 11:39:46 AM »
Great Show, really enjoyed it!     Was pleasantly surprised at how great James sounded.     

The visual and light effects were great and enhanced the experience as a spectacle.   

I will say I am surprised at how much pumped in vocals and effects they used and I also feel like they DEFINITELY should have come back out and played 2 or 3 classics.    I knew going in that they wouldn't and I didn't think it would be an issue but the ending of TA is just not nearly as exciting as the beginning IMO so finishing with Metropolis or Fatal Tragedy or Glass Prison or something like that would have really brought the roof down.    Oh well,  still a great show.

Not the best DT show I have seen because it included nothing from my top 3 albums by them, however, still a great show and Petrucci was just amazing as usual.