Author Topic: A plea to the Band... A Southern USA Tour?  (Read 12434 times)

Offline genome

Re: A plea to the Band... A Southern USA Tour?
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 11:45:51 AM »
This makes me realise how lucky us UK-ers are in that they visit frequently and it's often a short trip for all of us. It would be shorter for me to catch a flight to Rome from London and see them play there that evening than it would for some of you to see them in your own country!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
Is MM saying that they are booking venues that they know will only fill to 25% capacity?

Offline genome

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 11:53:28 AM »
Is MM saying that they are booking venues that they know will only fill to 25% capacity?

No, he's saying that they are taking a show of arena-sized logistics to venues 25% of the size.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2016, 12:22:19 PM »

No, he's saying that they are taking a show of arena-sized logistics to venues 25% of the size.

Yes, I think he is saying that the show they bring can be for the size of an arena, but they are placing that show in a much smaller venue, making it very difficult to find the right places.  At least that is how I read it.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2016, 12:27:26 PM »

Yes, I think he is saying that the show they bring can be for the size of an arena, but they are placing that show in a much smaller venue, making it very difficult to find the right places.  At least that is how I read it.

See, that's what I'm not understanding about this tour. Outside of the fact that the show itself consists of nothing but a single album branded as a rock opera, this is no different than any other Dream Theater tour. There's really nothing that special about it. A bunch of lights, a different configuration of the screens (which they do every tour), the same band member positioning, and no special extras of any kind. Has dream theater not played these venues in the past because they were too small?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 12:33:47 PM »

See, that's what I'm not understanding about this tour. Outside of the fact that the show itself consists of nothing but a single album branded as a rock opera, this is no different than any other Dream Theater tour. There's really nothing that special about it. A bunch of lights, a different configuration of the screens (which they do every tour), the same band member positioning, and no special extras of any kind. Has dream theater not played these venues in the past because they were too small?

I've tried to stay away from the spoilers as to what the show actually consists of, but if it's the same as every other tour then I am with you.  I do know they did try to pick nicer venues for this, venues that fit more of the "opera" theme I think, such as Radio City.  Which also is a much larger venue than they typically play in NYC.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2016, 12:36:51 PM »

I've tried to stay away from the spoilers as to what the show actually consists of, but if it's the same as every other tour then I am with you.  I do know they did try to pick nicer venues for this, venues that fit more of the "opera" theme I think, such as Radio City.  Which also is a much larger venue than they typically play in NYC.

I literally see no difference between this tour and past tours outside of the set list and a lack of keytar. I don't understand why such an emphasis has been placed on the venue selection. It's not like they want certain acoustics to handle a live orchestra or needed stages of a certain size to accommodate sets and actors.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:49:34 PM by Chino »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2016, 12:48:25 PM »
That's kind of dissapointing considering the way they billed this.  I was expecting an animated movie to go along with the story, but nothing else.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2016, 03:24:11 PM »

I believe he was saying both. As I said earlier in the thread, they often play venues much larger than their demand. They sell about 1/3 of their preferred Dallas venue (6500). It also seems that they don't sell the balcony at the place in Connecticut.

And I thought the same thing as Chino. There's nothing special about what they're doing here in relation to past tours. If anything this one appears to be a smaller production.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2016, 03:24:22 PM »
I'll just quit hoping for them to bring TA to Mexico... it's no use :(
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »

It would not surprise me if they toured Mexico and South America later in the year.  Some of the larger following is in these areas.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:50:04 PM by mike099 »
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2016, 09:20:13 PM »
Why would you?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2016, 11:45:34 AM »
Here's my reasonable three week tour of the South...start in Charlotte and do your first show ever for the state.
Nope

I thought they did Charlotte, NC on the ADTOE tour?
...and nope.

DT has played in North Carolina one time and one time only: they hit Asheville for a stop on one of the Progressive Nation tours. 

One time.

JP has played one additional time, at a G3 stop in Chapel Hill.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2016, 09:38:04 AM »
Living in Connecticut, I am in the most spoiled music market in the world! I'm right between NYC and Boston so I can literally never miss any artist that tours. If they skip my state NYC is an easy train ride away, and Boston is only 2 1/2 hour drive.
I'm so spoiled.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2016, 09:52:21 AM »
Living in Connecticut, I am in the most spoiled music market in the world! I'm right between NYC and Boston so I can literally never miss any artist that tours. If they skip my state NYC is an easy train ride away, and Boston is only 2 1/2 hour drive.
I'm so spoiled.

I'm spoiled as well living in central Jersey, I can do NYC easily and Philly is only an hour and a half away.  Plus NJ itself has plenty of concert venues.

Offline Victimlas

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »
Living in Fl, we miss a lot of amazing tours! Unfortunately we've come to accept that if we want to see DT we have to travel :(  It's not feasible to travel for every band/tour we want to see, but we have our top 3 and for those bands we just make the trip. It's frustrating because the shows we do go to around here are always to capacity, but the cost of traveling and gas all the way down Florida makes most bands not take the trip.

Offline BamaToTheBone

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2016, 09:39:53 AM »
Apologize for coming to this thread a little late in the game, but I sought out answers to this question and this was the first thing to pop up on the search.

As to the statement about appropriate venues in the south, or suitable tour routes, how's this for a sample, southern only tour?

Fifteen days should be sufficient to accomplish all this without killing the guys on the road.
Charlotte to service the northeastern part of the Southeast, North Carolina, South Carolina, East Tennessee, Eastern Georgia.
Orlando to service south Georgia and northern Florida except for the panhandle
Miami for South Florida
Birmingham for West Georgia, the panhandle of Florida, central and Western Tennessee, north Mississippi
New Orleans for Louisiana, south Mississippi Eastern Texas and Arkansas
Dallas for the Dallas, Houston and Austin areas of Texas as well as Arkansas.

Six dates, plenty of exposure, plenty of travel time and rest, and the south is happy. What's so hard about that? The fact is, Dream Theater has played literally everywhere else IN THE WORLD since A Dramatic Turn of Events, their last swing through the south. I don't think that fact has been brought up yet, EVERYWHERE else in the world. Most places multiple times. If they're not making it south, it's due to a lack of effort on someone's part. I fail to believe that not one promoter would be willing to book them in the south, especially since the last time I saw them at the Tabernacle in Atlanta, they had a line around the block waiting to come in two hours before showtime.

Now, allow me to make a personal case for Birmingham, since that's where I live. Mike Mangini spoke of specific venues that could host the concerts for The Astonishing, meeting a certain aesthetic vibe and able to handle the stag spacing, as well as appropriate capacity. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Alabama Theatre. Built in 1927, seating capacity 2,500, an absolutely gorgeous example of that era's architecture. Neil Young, Eric Clapton, and B.B. King have graced her stage among many others. There is room for a full orchestra, and it just so happens we have a pretty darned good one here in town known as the Alabama Symphony Orchestra. If the Alabama is too big, we have the Lyric Theater right across the street. Built in 1916 as a Vaudeville venue and seating 1,500, and regarded by no less than Milton Berle as the finest theater in the country. As well as many other theaters of varying size in the city, some larger, a handful are smaller. And few states in the union can match the rich musical tradition that Alabama can boast.

Okay, shameless plug off now.