Author Topic: A plea to the Band... A Southern USA Tour?  (Read 12431 times)

Offline MikeDavis67

A plea to the Band... A Southern USA Tour?
« on: December 25, 2015, 04:42:01 AM »
So I was fortunate to meet and greet with the band in ATLANTA, GA for the ADTOE tour.   Trivium, was interesting but not really my cup of tea and I ended up wishing there was more time for DT but overall a fantastic show.

Fast forward to the announcement that the Dream Theater album was going to be one of the "Evening with" types of shows.   Happy dance ensued as I anxiously awaited for an Atlanta tour date to pop....  or hell even anywhere in a reasonable driving radius distance.   ::)   

...nothing...  :facepalm:

So now the North America tour dates for the Astonishing pop....   Not a damn thing in the southern US.  You have fans here too...
If it's the venue, there are more locations in the Greater Atlanta area than just the Tabernacle.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: A plea to the Band... A Southern USA Tour?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 07:41:14 AM »
I was also hoping for an Atlanta date, but when Cincy showed up on the schedule, I decided to go for it.  Atlanta 5 hour drive and Cincy 6 hour drive.

Basing this on speculation, after the current US dates and the break that the band takes to be with family, etc. the summer would be open for the rest of the US, Mexico and South America.  The one question would be the European  Summer Festivals.  Surely they would tour the South and Southwest in the Fall at the latest.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 08:27:08 AM »
I wouldn't expect it if I were you. This has already been discussed to a degree in another thread, so I'd suggest you have a look there. Perhaps it will help you understand why it (probably) won't happen, even if it is unfair.
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45262.msg2056619#msg2056619
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »
Well... It is unfair, and ridiculous.
I'm starting to suspect other countries will have the same fate as southern USA.
You should find time and space to travel to another city, which is what I'm planning to do here at Mexico, except that I won't be able to see them at all if they don't play at the country.

DT didn't play SFAM as far as I know here, and if they come but don't play TA, that would be really crappy.
It's a once in a lifetime chance to see that, you just can't miss it.

So yeah, I support this, let's hope some areas get a little support, at least once in every capital.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 07:29:01 PM »
Pretty sure the closest DT has ever come to me has been Dallas, and that's a solid 4-hour drive away. At this point I'll probably never see them live because I don't have any close friends that like the band enough to make the trip, and I don't want to go alone.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 03:10:45 AM »
It is a bit ridiculous, I agree. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I have seen DT every year since the mid-90s essentially. Some areas they over-visit almost.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 03:52:09 AM »
Am I correct in assuming the northeast is the area they over-visit? I mean, it would make sense.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MikeDavis67

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »
I wouldn't expect it if I were you. This has already been discussed to a degree in another thread, so I'd suggest you have a look there. Perhaps it will help you understand why it (probably) won't happen, even if it is unfair.
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45262.msg2056619#msg2056619
I absolutely get logistics as being an issue...  however a few shows at Major Markets in the South (and TX for those guys) would most likely draw LARGE crowds and make it worth the effort.   Markets such as Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Birmingham would allow for a 1 week tour of the southern US (all those sites are within a day's drive of each other and if they are using two setups like they did a few years back it is very do-able.) and cover the fan draw for 7 states (FL, GA, SC, NC, TN, AL, 7 Most of MS)

I have to believe that would be an endeavor that would at the VERY LEAST Break Even..

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
I absolutely get logistics as being an issue...  however a few shows at Major Markets in the South (and TX for those guys) would most likely draw LARGE crowds and make it worth the effort.   Markets such as Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Birmingham would allow for a 1 week tour of the southern US (all those sites are within a day's drive of each other and if they are using two setups like they did a few years back it is very do-able.) and cover the fan draw for 7 states (FL, GA, SC, NC, TN, AL, 7 Most of MS)

I have to believe that would be an endeavor that would at the VERY LEAST Break Even..
   I have driven from south of Miami (Homestead) to both Orlando and Tampa in the past (both 4 hour drives each way at least) and would do it again if given the chance. I simply do not understand why they can't tap into that passion and add a few Southern shows before or after they head to South America. Miami is the gateway to South America and they would be flying right past us , so why not stop by for a few shows?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:10:06 PM by bluehaze »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »
They only come down here with other bands. If they're just doing Evening With shows AZ and DEN are really the only places they bother with. If they have a couple of openers they'll do three dates in Texas. Been that way for a long while.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 07:42:05 PM »
El Barto, it's about time that changes. If they can play Salem Oregon on the last tour for an Evening with...and Portland, Oregon on this tour for an Evening with...surely they can play the major markets of the South for an Evening with...I am done with their half show multiband shows (in protest at least until they give us the fix of an Evening with...show) It isn't worth the money to pay $60 or more plus the long drives for 80 minutes of DT music. The recent James LaBrie interview on Metal Sucks just gave the South a glimmer of hope in the last few seconds of the interview...We'll see.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:53:44 PM by bluehaze »

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »
This was posted on the Dream Theater discussion board. I thought I'd repost for us fans in the South. If you get to the very end of the interview James mentions his desire to play the South and he says he's "sure of it" and they laugh about him setting himself up. https://www.metalsucks.net/2016/01/25/132-dream-theater-vocalist-james-labrie/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:08:42 PM by bluehaze »

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 06:57:23 AM »
I really don't know why they're avoiding the South. The shows listed for The Astonishing are all at least 6 hours away (driving).

I'd probably drive to Atlanta (~5 hrs) for a DT show... and it would catch a large radius of fans.

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 08:57:32 AM »
I really don't know why they're avoiding the South. The shows listed for The Astonishing are all at least 6 hours away (driving).

I'd probably drive to Atlanta (~5 hrs) for a DT show... and it would catch a large radius of fans.
Atlanta is still too far for me down in Homestead, Fl. I would drive to Orlando/St. Pete. (both are about 4 hours away from me). The reality is that they have more than enough support down here to play Miami, Orlando, St. Pete, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and probably New Orleans and Charlotte. There really is no reason not to play for us. If they can suck up the expense to travel to Asia and South America, they can play for us in the South. No excuse. Even James in the interview acknowledged as such.

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 09:34:49 AM »
I've lived in Charlotte for 16 years and DT hasn't played here once.  It's not as big as Atlanta or Dallas or Wash DC but it's a decent-sized town.  I've seen the band in Chicago, Atlanta and Washington, DC.  But am older now, and don't have anyone I know who would travel to see them.  Sure hoping they can at least add Atlanta as I'm very interested in seeing The Astonishing show (although if the album isn't very good that would change). 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 10:42:31 AM »
I really don't know why they're avoiding the South.

They aren't "avoiding" the South.  If promoters in those states will not book them (or will not book them in suitable venues), then there really is not much they can do about it.  Sadly, it is what it is.  The band wants to play there.  Yet they do not.  As someone who knows a little bit about how these things work, the only logical conclusion is that either promoters will not book them at all as headliners or simply will not book them at venues that make sense for them to be playing.  If people who are not happy about the band playing near you want to blame anyone, blame your local promoters.  Shows cannot get booked without their support, so if shows are not getting booked, the promoters are most likely the reason.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 02:02:08 PM »

They aren't "avoiding" the South.  If promoters in those states will not book them (or will not book them in suitable venues), then there really is not much they can do about it.  Sadly, it is what it is.  The band wants to play there.  Yet they do not.  As someone who knows a little bit about how these things work, the only logical conclusion is that either promoters will not book them at all as headliners or simply will not book them at venues that make sense for them to be playing.  If people who are not happy about the band playing near you want to blame anyone, blame your local promoters.  Shows cannot get booked without their support, so if shows are not getting booked, the promoters are most likely the reason.

...and who are the promoters...those mystical men and women behind the curtains? It is easy to blame them as the default bad guys but when many other prog acts play here in South Florida (Yes {2 months ago}, Steve Vai {coming up} Joe Satriani {coming up} Opeth, Animals as Leaders and Between the Buried and Me {about 1 month ago} etc. etc. I have a hard time believing it is all on them. If their booking agent and tour manager wanted to make it happen, they would. There is no way you can tell me that promoters all over the world want to book a two time Grammy Nominee but not those in major international markets like Miami and Atlanta. It's defies logic and doesn't hold water.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 03:21:42 PM »
Again, I think it's a matter of trying to get as much bang for the buck as the band can. This is primarily due to the self-imposed limitations they put on touring. Since they limit the amount of time they are out on the road, they need to try to fit as many shows in to this time period with the most profits and least costs. I'd wager that, for whatever reason, it was more cost effective for them to book the tour starting in the NE part of Canada and ending in the NW part of the US, than to route the tour so that it would hit the south/southeast part of the US. To what extent that is due to the promoters not willing to pony up as much money as in other regions, the (lack of) availability of appropriate venues or other unknown reasons is up in the air unless either the band, their management or their booking agent(s) specifically make a definitive statement. In any case, apparently it's been much more cost effective for them to tour the way they have been.

That said, as can be heard on that interview that you (bluehaze) posted, the band is aware that they haven't played the south/southeast as regularly as other parts of the country. And I'd bet that JL wouldn't have made the comments regarding doing shows in that area if there wasn't something in the works. Whether they come to fruition remains to be seen, and realistically, things can change. But while I wouldn't get your hopes up at the present time, it seems like this might finally be the tour where the band does an Evening With tour that includes shows in the south/southeast, although I'd imagine that it will be during a different leg of the tour than what we see now.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 03:39:45 PM »
...and who are the promoters...those mystical men and women behind the curtains? It is easy to blame them as the default bad guys but when many other prog acts play here in South Florida (Yes {2 months ago}, Steve Vai {coming up} Joe Satriani {coming up} Opeth, Animals as Leaders and Between the Buried and Me {about 1 month ago} etc. etc. I have a hard time believing it is all on them. If their booking agent and tour manager wanted to make it happen, they would. There is no way you can tell me that promoters all over the world want to book a two time Grammy Nominee but not those in major international markets like Miami and Atlanta. It's defies logic and doesn't hold water.

Whether you "have a hard time believing" it or not makes little difference.  Unless you are a small indie band that books your own shows locally because you know the local club owners in your town, you have to go through the promoters in each local market.  And if a specific promoter does not feel that he or she can get you a deal that makes sense in terms of venue size, contract payout, and all the other myriad details that go into a band playing a show, then the band does not get booked, end of story.  That's just how it works.

Again, I'm not saying FOR SURE that that is what is going on here.  But that is the most likely scenario from the information that is out there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 03:40:57 PM »
I don't mind if it isn't on this specific leg, but I certainly hope that is somewhere in the 18 months that James said they would be touring the album. Late Fall is a good time for the South..

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 03:44:34 PM »

Whether you "have a hard time believing" it or not makes little difference.  Unless you are a small indie band that books your own shows locally because you know the local club owners in your town, you have to go through the promoters in each local market.  And if a specific promoter does not feel that he or she can get you a deal that makes sense in terms of venue size, contract payout, and all the other myriad details that go into a band playing a show, then the band does not get booked, end of story.  That's just how it works.

Again, I'm not saying FOR SURE that that is what is going on here.  But that is the most likely scenario from the information that is out there.
I ask again, who are the promoters? James gave a glimmer of hope in the interview, so I will go with that and keep up the hope that it will happen. Peace.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 03:53:17 PM »
I ask again, who are the promoters?

I have no idea.  Not trying to be difficult, but it is like asking "who are the doctors" in a particular town.  Every market has their own set of promoters.  How many just depends on how many people want to work as promoters in a given town and how many the market will bear.  Some promoters have better connections in a given market than others.  If Band X wants to play Concert Hall Y in a given town, and the promoters they know in that town do not have a relationship with that venue, they probably aren't going to get as good a contract as they would with a promoter that has that connection, so they need to try to find another promoter.  It is an industry where the "connections" are everything.  If the promoter does not have the right connections with the right venues, marketing people, local security crews, media, etc., it can be very difficult to get a deal done to have the band play.  I once tried to book a band in a certain market and the promoter they wanted me to use was so difficult that the deal fell through because the promoter felt that there was not enough demand for that band in that particular market to get them the type of venue where, after all expenses were paid, the band could make more than pennies.  It was an eye-opening experience. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 03:58:25 PM »

Well, realistically they haven't played at a suitable venue for a band their size since developers turned their preferred arena into a Home Depot. They play in a state of the art venue that seats 6k+, selling only the middle third of it. Never understood that, honestly. There are plenty of far more suitable places for them to play down here.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »
Here's my reasonable three week tour of the South...start in Charlotte and do your first show ever for the state. Then, head to Atlanta and then down to Miami (multiple venues in the Area to choose from such as the Fillmore, Broward Center for the Performing Arts, South Dade Cultural Center, James L. Knight Center etc. then up the state to hit Tampa/St. Pete, then to Orlando, over to New Orleans and then to Texas for Houston, Dallas, El Paso, and then down to Mexico city. End of leg and three weeks off. and then off to South America...In a perfect world of course.

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »
Thanks Bosk1 for the explanation. It helps.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »
Here's my reasonable three week tour of the South...start in Charlotte and do your first show ever for the state. Then, head to Atlanta and then down to Miami (multiple venues in the Area to choose from such as the Fillmore, Broward Center for the Performing Arts, South Dade Cultural Center, James L. Knight Center etc. then up the state to hit Tampa/St. Pete, then to Orlando, over to New Orleans and then to Texas for Houston, Dallas, El Paso, and then down to Mexico city. End of leg and three weeks off. and then off to South America...In a perfect world of course.

Honestly, if they did half that, I think they would have a lot of happy fans. 

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »

Honestly, if they did half that, I think they would have a lot of happy fans.
I definitely would be. ;-)

Offline MikeDavis67

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 07:25:39 AM »
I thought they did Charlotte, NC on the ADTOE tour?  iirc I was considering going there and seeing them again after/before the Atlanta show.   Could be mistaken though...

Ok so Bosk, how would one go about finding out WHO the promoters are in a given market that DT has played before such as Atlanta?  Both shows I have been to here were at the Tabernacle venue.  Would that be a good place to start? with the logical venue choices?

My thought process is this:
1. Figure out sensible southern market hubs
2. Find venues they have played before or ones that make sense in about 3 - 4 major markets
3. Publish the promoter contact info so that DTF southern fans can make some email / social media "Suggestions" that those promoters get in touch with the Bands touring manager/business manager.

Hopefully if promoters see fans willing to come from other states to thier venue to see a band that will defiately build value and willingness to negotiate good deals / rates for the band to entice them to play.

Only thing we would need to make that happen is the contact info for the band that one could put into these messages to local promoters because if you had to get them to look up the info themselves, well that may not happen.  Whereas if a promoter gets 100 emails for a band to show up in his venue/market and the contact info is right there IN the email it may be easier to "drop a dime" and see what the fuss is about.

?

Offline MikeDavis67

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »
So if they do NOT come to the South...  They BETTER release a very well made BlueRay of this concert....  After hearing this album twice through now, if I dont get to see this Live (ish) I am going to be one pissed off motherfucker.....   Just saying

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 02:55:19 PM »
I think DT is bigger than Opeth and other bands that I see in the South. I know they need a big place, but there are convention centers and small stadiums all over the place.

Verizon Wireless ampitheater in Charlotte would do the trick., I've tried to temper my begging by saying, 'look, I'll drive a long way to get there' but I have to cut it off at 5 hours. Pick a big central city or two (like ATL) and charge the appropriate fee. I'll be there. If I end up spending $500 on the whole thing including gas and hotel, I'd do it. Maybe I'm being too generous, but having seen them in 1995, I'd love to get some more. I won't move to CA or the NE, nor will I move to South America, London, or any of the European spots.

In the South, we feel like Japan must feel. :D

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 08:39:56 PM »
But that's the thing... they play Japan more frequently than they've played in the South (talking TOTAL shows, not recent tours).  As such, I'm making the trek from Texas to one of the two shows in LA (flying because SCREW that drive) just because a well-made Blu-Ray/DVD of the live show is just not cutting it anymore. I need live DT; in person.

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 02:41:06 PM »
Well, if we can't get Dream Theater to come to Miami, at least we will have the Guitar Gods show in North Miami Beach with Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen and Nicko McBrain for only $35 plus $2 service charge general admission https://www.facebook.com/events/1117796234917843/   So, at least we are getting some love from some promoter who is bringing us decent bands to look forward to while we wait for some word yay or nay. Until I hear something in the affirmative I will assume that it is a nay and focus on bands that are playing for us. I haven't even listened to the new album because I've just lost the desire.. Maybe I'll check it out in the next few weeks.   Edit note: right after I wrote this I opened a fortune cookie that said, "Your secret desire that will completely change your life will manifest." Hmmmmmmmmmmm...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:16:39 PM by bluehaze »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 08:47:49 AM »
Mangini's latest FB post:

"I'm happy to see a huge number of new people coming to this page via the new likes since this tour started. It means you really get the magnitude of what we're doing combining the album with the show and given all the obvious risks, especially when a fan has not actually heard, or should I say felt us play this live. I can tell the acoustics and smallest details of the drums are being heard given the design of the venues. That's really awesome !! Given mostly drummers "like" drummers pages, that's usually the foundation of my posts. 3 nights here in Amsterdam. Fun. Looking forward to all the cities we'll hit this year. And yes, we clearly want to visit places not yet booked. Us band guys do not do the booking. We know that people feel personally snubbed... please don't. We WANT to go everywhere, but it does not sometimes work out that the touring organization can feasibly do it. This is a massive production the likes of any arena act and we're only playing for 1/4 of the people of an arena in these venues suited for our show. It is not easy to work that out."
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 09:40:56 AM »
Thanks for re-posting that in this thread.  :tup

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 10:14:50 AM »
Opeth completely filled Lincoln Theater in Raleigh, which I think holds like 500 people or something. I'm sure DT could fill a 1000 seat venue around here, although maybe that's not worth it to them.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!