Author Topic: I Love Lucy  (Read 2119 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
I Love Lucy
« on: December 23, 2015, 05:04:08 PM »
This show is TIMELESS. Still hilarious today over 60 years after originally airing. Anyone watching the special tonight in about an hour on CBS?
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: I Love Lucy
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 05:17:33 PM »
I watched this all the time with my mom as a kid and recently started powering through it a few weeks ago as an adult. Absolutely hysterical.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 06:00:03 PM »
Christmas special on NOW on CBS.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 06:34:01 AM »
Still one of the best shows of all time. Brings back memories of watching it with my grandmother.

Online T-ski

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 09:51:09 AM »
I've had endless debates with a former co-worker about Lucy.  He maintains she is the funniest woman of all time, while I think the opposite.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 01:06:02 PM »
I watched this a ton growing up, largely because my parents were huge fans, and it was always funny.  I suspect that if I saw it again now, it would be still be hysterical, but I can't imagine going out of my way to see it.  There is no denying its classic status, regardless.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 04:48:32 PM »
I still watch this on the Hallmark channel often in the morning. I wish they'd show a wider variety of episodes though. I often see the same ones. Not too long ago I saw some where Lucy was smoking cigarettes which I don't recall from too many episodes - thought that was interesting. I often notice new little things when I watch even now.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 07:45:40 PM »
I still watch this on the Hallmark channel often in the morning. I wish they'd show a wider variety of episodes though. I often see the same ones. Not too long ago I saw some where Lucy was smoking cigarettes which I don't recall from too many episodes - thought that was interesting. I often notice new little things when I watch even now.

Yeah they used to cut all of that out when it went into syndication because of laws banning advertising cigarettes on TV. On the DVDs they put all of that back in.

In a couple of weeks the episodes where they are in Hollywood with John Wayne will be colorized and broadcast on CBS.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 08:11:27 AM »
I hate when B&W stuff gets colorized.

But I Love Lucy was one of the funniest shows ever, no doubt. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 12:25:44 PM »

I watched the Christmas special that got colorized a few years ago, and I thought they did an awesome job with it. I have mixed feeling about it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »
I don't care how good a job they do with it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 02:21:44 PM »
I'm mixed on it as well, but they do a really good job with it, so much where it COULD have been shot in color. And a classic gets to be on TV. I'm down with it.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 05:47:59 AM »

Yeah they used to cut all of that out when it went into syndication because of laws banning advertising cigarettes on TV. On the DVDs they put all of that back in.

In a couple of weeks the episodes where they are in Hollywood with John Wayne will be colorized and broadcast on CBS.

Those were all on last week. But I'm sure they're cycling through them again. The Hollywood ones were on just prior to them starting over at the beginning (which they've done in the past week or two). It's always fun to see them in a different environment. I also like the ones where they're renting a country house (all those were also just on, as they're all later episodes).

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 05:49:09 AM »

I watched the Christmas special that got colorized a few years ago, and I thought they did an awesome job with it. I have mixed feeling about it.

I hated it immensely. Everything about it was terrible and I couldn't even finish watching it. It disappointed me so much I wish I"d never turned it on. What's next, Peanuts in 3D? Oh, right....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 08:31:45 AM »
Caught an episode this morning on some channel (forget which one - Hallmark or TV Land?  Something like that).  Ricky lit right up on screen, twice.  Once with a match, once with the biggest fucking lighter I've ever seen.

Badass.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 05:10:53 AM »
The candy making episode is on Hallmark right now. <3

And yes, Ricky is smoking in this one as well. He just lit up with a match and then threw it onto the floor after shaking it to put it out. :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 09:10:35 AM »
I've been watching reruns since I was a kid.  I remember watching the "eggs in the henhouse" episode for the first time, I couldn't stop laughing when she broke the eggs in her shirt!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 05:57:17 PM »
I've had endless debates with a former co-worker about Lucy.  He maintains she is the funniest woman of all time, while I think the opposite.

Definitely one of the most talented. Whether that translates as "funny" is of course up to each individual viewer.