Poll

Would you support a JJ Abrams guided re-do of Episodes 1-3?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Star Wars Opinion Poll  (Read 5518 times)

Offline jammindude

Star Wars Opinion Poll
« on: December 22, 2015, 08:18:45 PM »
If, after Episodes 7-9 were all finished, Disney announced that they were going to completely re-do Episodes 1-3 with JJ still acting as Executive Producer and overseeing the entire process...would you support it.

I would.  Faster than than a Jar Jar Binks beating at a ComiCon.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Star Wars Opinion Poll
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 08:33:45 PM »
I don't see the point. The story wasn't necessary to begin with, and there's no point wasting time retelling it. I'd rather them go forward, because when you already know where the story ends, it's going to end up tedious and boring like Ep III. And despite liking Episode VII, it still has the JJ signatures of being a hack.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 10:03:50 PM »
Nah. We just need to move on.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 10:19:15 PM »
Well these days it seems nothing is safe from being remade/rebooted, it wouldn't surprise me if Hollywood/Disney decided to do this eventually - and with the OT aswell. Maybe in a decade or two?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 10:35:32 PM »
Nope. They happened, just leave them alone. Lots of material to work from, I'd rather them put that energy toward a KOTOR themed trilogy or something.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 10:42:29 PM »
No way. While I don't vehemently abhor them as most, they're still pretty bad as is and I'm with Blob on the storyline front. I think the core of the storylines for all of the films is mediocre and while they only made that core worse...I think its 'best' wouldn't be worth the time either. Plus it's got a guy named Count Dooku in it. Count Dooku.

Count.

Dooku.

No, thanks. Plus JJ did a good job and proved that he isn't completely a fetishist for lens flares and that's all about we need from him. Someone else take the reins and the man can move on and so can we.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 10:53:40 PM »
I wouldn't really want to see it happen, but I'd support it if it did.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 11:02:28 PM »
I think the prequels are better left alone to be honest. Fans like me who hate the prequels can hate them all we want, they're still part of the Star Wars cannon. It's like that uncle who drinks and still lives in his mother's basement. He's an embarrassment, but he's still family. You can't get around it, and putting in another 600 million to re-make the prequels would just be a waste of time and money IMO.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 05:10:31 AM »
I don't see the point. The story wasn't necessary to begin with, and there's no point wasting time retelling it.

Exactly this
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 06:06:42 AM »
I LOVE the prequels... but I voted yes, as I ended up loving the Dark Knight Trilogy, which was a reboot. So why not?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 06:07:47 AM »
I don't see the point. The story wasn't necessary to begin with, and there's no point wasting time retelling it.

Exactly this

+2

I'd rather see Disney focus time, money and resources on NEW storylines, not "fixing" old ones.  Plus, Tio kinda got it right, but it's more important to focus on the actor... doesn't matter what character he was. 

Christopher, FUCKING, Lee.  :2metal:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 06:17:04 AM »
I think the prequels are better left alone to be honest. Fans like me who hate the prequels can hate them all we want, they're still part of the Star Wars cannon. It's like that uncle who drinks and still lives in his mother's basement. He's an embarrassment, but he's still family. You can't get around it, and putting in another 600 million to re-make the prequels would just be a waste of time and money IMO.

Episode VII is so well written and character driven, that it has made the prequels even more glaringly out of place than they already were. 

I'm not sure I even view them as canon any more.   Related maybe.   Sortof like Frequency Unknown is a Queensryche album....but it's not.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 06:18:58 AM »
General Grievous is a far worse name than Count Dooku, anyway.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 06:20:48 AM »

Episode VII is so well written and character driven, that it has made the prequels even more glaringly out of place than they already were. 

I'm not sure I even view them as canon any more.   Related maybe.   Sortof like Frequency Unknown is a Queensryche album....but it's not.

The prequels were the creator's vision. TFA was made just to be made. The PT will never be any less canon than any of the other films.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 06:47:40 AM »
No. The prequels are what they are. I personally enjoy them even though they are not great (except for Episode III). I'd be more interested in 10, 11, 12.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 08:26:14 AM »

That is wrong on every single front.  The prequels ARE canon.  And Frequency Unknown is NOT a Queensryche album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 08:59:08 AM »
I'm surprised at the thought that the story wasn't necessary. Is any story necessary? We got to see how and why Anakin turned into Vader. We got to see how the Emperor got power. We got to see the destruction of the Jedi. We got to learn about the clone wars (even more so in the cartoon). In my opinion those are all things I was interested in seeing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »

That is wrong on every single front.  The prequels ARE canon.  And Frequency Unknown is NOT a Queensryche album.

So much this.  The PT has it's place and relevance, despite being mediocre pieces of work.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 09:45:19 AM »
Also, I think that Star Wars would do better if it stopped retreading itself. It was wanting to redo things that caused George to never let go and make constant changes to the originals.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 10:51:35 AM »
I don't see the point. The story wasn't necessary to begin with, and there's no point wasting time retelling it. I'd rather them go forward, because when you already know where the story ends, it's going to end up tedious and boring like Ep III. And despite liking Episode VII, it still has the JJ signatures of being a hack.

that
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
No. Let it die.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 07:56:02 AM »
They could just give it the Lucas treatment and digitally replace most of the cast with better actors.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2015, 08:01:32 AM »
They could just give it the Lucas treatment and digitally replace most of the cast with better actors.

The actors was one of the smaller issues of the prequels though. Pretty much all the problems boil down to the script and how it was executed. There's plenty of great actors who are only okay in the prequels and come off as wooden, mainly thanks to George Lucas and his poor directing in those films. It didn't help that the dialogue was mostly atrocious either.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »
Glad to see *nearly* 50/50 support for it.  I'm on another geek forum where it was almost unanimous support.   As has been stated, the character of Kylo Ren only serves to prove that Anakin could have been written and directed far better than he was.    Heck, just a basic concept of storytelling would have been nice. 

For the record, I'm not talking about re-telling the entire political story that Lucas told.   I'm talking about throwing out *the entire thing* and totally starting over with a completely blank slate.   The rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker.   Maybe you don't start from childhood.  I'm certainly thinking there is no "immaculate conception"... Maybe his childhood is summed up in the first 20-30 minutes of the first film...but that's it. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
I think it would be more likely to see the original trilogy remade because that's what people love, and it has been more than 30 years. I don't even think that will happen, but there would be a bigger appeal for the studio to remake something beloved rather than something people (for the most part) disliked. And I think the whole mentality of "If I shove my head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist, then it doesn't exist" is rather silly, because even if they remade the whole prequel trilogy, it wouldn't erase the fact that those movies exist and are cannon. If anything it would make things worse and more complicated, because you would have two sets of telling the same story.

Also, they referenced the prequels in Force Awakens so they're definitely not ignoring it completely, even if they're wise enough to not put any major prequel-related things in the forefront of the new story. You also have the rumors of Hayden possibly returning in some capacity (a small role probably), and while it's not confirmed and may not happen at all, there's no smoke without fire like they say. The fact that his name is even mentioned in rumors signals, at least to me that the prequels are very much cemented as cannon and they won't ignore that. Also Ewan voicing Obi-Wan as a small cameo in TFA, which I doubt they would do if they didn't consider the Ewan-Obi Wan part of cannon.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2015, 01:53:10 PM »
Just the idea of them remaking the OT makes me want to murder someone in a horrible, vicious, torturous way whilst screaming Luke's iconic 'no' (which is way better than Vader's 'no') over and over.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »
If they ever were to do it, then I would want them to start from scratch. I think there's potential to do something decent if in the right hands. Either that or I can just continue to ignore they exist.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2015, 07:26:50 PM »

Also, they referenced the prequels in Force Awakens so they're definitely not ignoring it completely, even if they're wise enough to not put any major prequel-related things in the forefront of the new story. You also have the rumors of Hayden possibly returning in some capacity (a small role probably), and while it's not confirmed and may not happen at all, there's no smoke without fire like they say. The fact that his name is even mentioned in rumors signals, at least to me that the prequels are very much cemented as cannon and they won't ignore that. Also Ewan voicing Obi-Wan as a small cameo in TFA, which I doubt they would do if they didn't consider the Ewan-Obi Wan part of cannon.

What did they reference from the PT? I'm a pretty casual SW fan, so I didn't notice any references, if there was a reference to a planet or whatever. I mostly got the feeling they strongly ignored it though. And I wouldn't put any stock in rumours at all, given how stupid the majority of rumours circulating about TFA were. :lol I think that rumour shows how desperate people are to see more Vader. :P
Obi Wan was an important OT character, and they can't exactly bring back Alex Guinness (well they kind of did with some crafty audio editing which shows how much they actually wanted OT Obi Wan). I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back Ewan though, since it seems to me he's one of the few things from the PT that was well received, and we don't know how the character fits in with Rey's backstory yet.

Offline 425

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2015, 10:28:07 PM »
The only reason I'm willing to check out non-Lucas Star Wars films is because, right now, they're not messing with the original six.

The instant you touch any of the original six, I'm done buying tickets to new Star Wars movies.

The prequels are part of Lucas's vision and, to me, will always be far more Star Wars than anything made after 2005. Don't mess with them. And JJ would dumb them down and make them worse, anyway. Remove most of the risks that Lucas took that resulted in smart storytelling in favor of fan service.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2015, 01:42:44 AM »
What did they reference from the PT? I'm a pretty casual SW fan, so I didn't notice any references, if there was a reference to a planet or whatever. I mostly got the feeling they strongly ignored it though. And I wouldn't put any stock in rumours at all, given how stupid the majority of rumours circulating about TFA were. :lol I think that rumour shows how desperate people are to see more Vader. :P
Obi Wan was an important OT character, and they can't exactly bring back Alex Guinness (well they kind of did with some crafty audio editing which shows how much they actually wanted OT Obi Wan). I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back Ewan though, since it seems to me he's one of the few things from the PT that was well received, and we don't know how the character fits in with Rey's backstory yet.

Kylo Ren and Hux has a conversation early on, I think after the escape of Finn and Poe, and they're talking about how one stormtrooper and a prisoner could escape against loads of stormtroopers, and while Hux is defending his men, Kylo Ren says something along the lines of "Maybe we should go back to using clones instead", a fun little moment.

I'm with you on Ewan as Obi-Wan. He was great as Obi-Wan, and one of the few parts of the prequels that wasn't that bad. I wouldn't mind seeing him return to play Obi-Wan in a standalone anthology film at all, and knowing how much he liked his role and how disappointed he was that the films didn't turn out that well, I would be happy for him to get an actual good movie behind his back that most of the people would really like. I like that they used him in The Force Awakens, even if it was just his voice.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2015, 04:16:33 AM »
The only reason I'm willing to check out non-Lucas Star Wars films is because, right now, they're not messing with the original six.

The instant you touch any of the original six, I'm done buying tickets to new Star Wars movies.

The prequels are part of Lucas's vision and, to me, will always be far more Star Wars than anything made after 2005. Don't mess with them. And JJ would dumb them down and make them worse, anyway. Remove most of the risks that Lucas took that resulted in smart storytelling in favor of fan service.
Lucas didn't have a vision.  And as awesome as the OT was, I am not sure that "smart storytelling" is a hallmark Lucas in any way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2015, 04:35:27 AM »

Lucas didn't have a vision.  And as awesome as the OT was, I am not sure that "smart storytelling" is a hallmark Lucas in any way.

I agree. I find the storytelling in the OT is pretty simple and straightforward (and imo is part of why it appeals to such a broad audience), just told very well, which had as much to do with the people that Lucas surrounded himself with as it did with Lucas himself.
The reason the PT was nowhere near as good was because Lucas had full creative control to surround himself with yes men who didn't question all of his terrible choices and awful writing. With all due credit to Lucas, he became increasingly out of touch with the franchise, the fans, and any sense of good and bad. I'm happy that he had the creative freedom to fulfill his ideas with the PT, but that "vision" sucked hugely and wasn't even terribly consistent with the OT.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2015, 01:41:35 AM »
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2015, 11:05:03 AM »

I agree. I find the storytelling in the OT is pretty simple and straightforward (and imo is part of why it appeals to such a broad audience), just told very well, which had as much to do with the people that Lucas surrounded himself with as it did with Lucas himself.
The reason the PT was nowhere near as good was because Lucas had full creative control to surround himself with yes men who didn't question all of his terrible choices and awful writing. With all due credit to Lucas, he became increasingly out of touch with the franchise, the fans, and any sense of good and bad. I'm happy that he had the creative freedom to fulfill his ideas with the PT, but that "vision" sucked hugely and wasn't even terribly consistent with the OT.