Author Topic: 2016-04-23 - Radio City Music Hall - Manhattan, NY MEETUP & Concert Discussion  (Read 54124 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I was just about to come post it. We decided on changing the venue because the Valhalla said they weren't sure if they would be able to accommodate everyone. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/1781388058756523/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was just about to come post it. We decided on changing the venue because the Valhalla said they weren't sure if they would be able to accommodate everyone. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/1781388058756523/

Cool, not like I really care where the meet up is, but I am the only one who accepted the invite so if you see me, Marc, feel free to fb me.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
I just did, actually.  :lol   I'm working with a couple of the fan club people on this. I'm thinking about going to the Baltimore show and meetup.

Offline JohnR

Really cool that you guys are arranging a meet-up before and after the show. I'll be there with two friends from Norway. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
I joined the FB page.  Marc!  I sent you e friend request, can't believe we didn't do that last time around  :biggrin:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Not a facebook kinda guy, so I'm checking in here for the meetup.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
We're heading to the Brickyard Gastropub at 3PM, 785 9th Avenue.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
From the FB Event

Join us for a pre-show (and post show) meetup at Brickyard Gastropub!

Pre-show meetup: 3-6pm
Post show meetup: 11pm-2:00am

Brickyard has two happy hours 4-6pm and 11:00pm-3:00am, 24 craft beers on tap, an extensive list of local, domestic, and imported selections, daily cocktails and draft specials. They also have a bar and dinner menu with lots of seasonal choices.

We are celebrating the North American leg of The Astonishing Live, and our first DT USA meetup.

Everyone is welcome! Please RSVP so we know how many people to expect.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
OK guys...  need some advice.  Being from SoCal I'm challenged when it comes to Public Transportation.  Hell, we get in our cars to drive around the corner here!  SO!! please help me get into the city!  Coming into Newark (EWR) and I heard there is a train from the terminal to Penn station Newark?  From there a train into the city?  The I'm guessing subway to my hotel @ 59 West 46th Street? 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
You can take the light rail from the airport to the NJ Transit Rail Station for the Airport (not sure if there is a charge for this) and then from the Airport train station you can hop on the train into Penn State NYC which is 3 stops away (maybe 20 minutes ride and will cost money).  From Penn Station you can hop onto a subway, take a taxi, or just walk to 46th street (I typically would walk from 34th st to 46t, but maybe you'll have luggage). 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks, Marc!  I'll look at the map, I think when I initially set the hotel I looked at the distance from Penn station to Times Square, that looked way to far for me to walk.. :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thanks, Marc!  I'll look at the map, I think when I initially set the hotel I looked at the distance from Penn station to Times Square, that looked way to far for me to walk.. :lol

I'm a walker for sure

https://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

That should be useful, one stop from Penn Station to Times Square.

I'm still thinking about how I want to do this, thinking of cancelling my hotel room and re-doing it using points and getting a nicer room somewhere in Times Square.  I'm considering the idea of spending the whole weekend in the city too if nothing comes up Friday night.  I had a blast walking through Central Park last Saturday.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Yeah, Penn Station Newark never factors into it. You'll be heading the opposite direction. The light rail from EWR is free. Then you'll pay something like $12 or so for your train ticket to Penn NYC. Be sure to have your camera out. The scenic train ride from EWR is lovely.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm a walker for sure

https://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

That should be useful, one stop from Penn Station to Times Square.

I'm still thinking about how I want to do this, thinking of cancelling my hotel room and re-doing it using points and getting a nicer room somewhere in Times Square.  I'm considering the idea of spending the whole weekend in the city too if nothing comes up Friday night.  I had a blast walking through Central Park last Saturday.

Here's the place I'm staying.  It had good reviews, seemed central, and was comparatively inexpensive.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/super-8-times-square.html?from_pretrip=1

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, Penn Station Newark never factors into it. You'll be heading the opposite direction. The light rail from EWR is free. Then you'll pay something like $12 or so for your train ticket to Penn NYC. Be sure to have your camera out. The scenic train ride from EWR is lovely.

See!  That's why I asked for directions!!!  I'd frikken end up in Florida left to my own devices.  Camera will be at the ready!  It's gonna be great to finally meet you Barto!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Also, the trip planner on MTA.info is pretty handy for getting public transportation directions from point A to point B
Photobucket sucks.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Axe, I'll check that out.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Holy Crap!  Anyone looked at ticketmaster recently???  Pit tix available for $125.  Suffice to say, I upgraded... :lol   Now I am PIT CCC one seat right of dead center.   Which means I have an Orch 4,row MM, seat 413 (right on the aisle) available for CHEAP, or possibly even free if someone can't afford the show and wants to go. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nice, not surprised honestly if this concert isn't selling that well.  Radio City is a much bigger venue for DT and it worked for Score as a one off anniversary show, not sure it would work so well for this show though.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Yeah, BBB was available a couple of days ago. No money left to upgrade, and I have 4th row for the CT show anyway,  so I can afford to slum it that night.

edit:
Nice, not surprised honestly if this concert isn't selling that well.  Radio City is a much bigger venue for DT and it worked for Score as a one off anniversary show, not sure it would work so well for this show though.
It's actually selling pretty well. Those are just platinum and VIP tickets that didn't sell and have been released.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
You are correct, I just assumed... there are more pit tickets too.... fuck I want those! but it would be a big risk of losing my money spent on some already pretty good seats.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Yeah, I'm way back at PP, but those were $65 and I've got a small fortune invested in this trip already. Thankfully, I've seen DT from front row several times already, so it's pretty easy to tell the voices in my head urging me to upgrade to fuck off.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I'm way back at PP, but those were $65 and I've got a small fortune invested in this trip already. Thankfully, I've seen DT from front row several times already, so it's pretty easy to tell the voices in my head urging me to upgrade to fuck off.  :lol

Yea, if I was solo i'd consider it, but convincing my friend to also take the risk... probably not happening.  I've never been up that close for DT, but got close enough in GA pits before to be satisfied for that experience.

My friend also confirmed he won't be joining the pre-game festivities, nor after show ceremonies.  He's got a little baby to be home for.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
5 more days

:metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Rebooked my hotel, I checked this morning and then just again and the price on my same room dropped 80 bucks.  Looks like all of the IHG hotels dropped, wonder what happened.  Either way, this hotel is on 57th and 9th.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Rebooked my hotel, I checked this morning and then just again and the price on my same room dropped 80 bucks.  Looks like all of the IHG hotels dropped, wonder what happened.  Either way, this hotel is on 57th and 9th.

Nice!  I have free cancellation so I'll check around tonight!  Maybe I can recoup some of that ticket $$$.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Damn you guys, I may have just upgraded myself to the third row :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn you guys, I may have just upgraded myself to the third row :lol

:tup  SWEET!

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
I'm in Orchestra 4 Row OO, which I think is somewhat close. Really excited for Saturday! I'm leaving NC early that morning and returning the next day. It's a lot traveling for a couple of days but the direct flight only takes like 1:45, which isn't bad.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
I'm in Orchestra 4 Row OO, which I think is somewhat close. Really excited for Saturday! I'm leaving NC early that morning and returning the next day. It's a lot traveling for a couple of days but the direct flight only takes like 1:45, which isn't bad.

That's pretty close. I was in row PP for the Score show. *waits for excretory jokes*

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
I think I was in EE for score, but way off to Myung/Rudess's side. This time I'm in CC, fairly well centered.
Photobucket sucks.

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
Do you guys think people will sit most of the show? It would be awesome if the crowd stood.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Do you guys think people will sit most of the show? It would be awesome if the crowd stood.

I think so.  I'd rather stand personally, but I'm not going to stand if I am the only one.  If I had my way, I'd be rocking out up and down the isle especially since I think I am going to be nice and saucey come concert time.  Since you are making it up that day, are you going to have time to join the meet up?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

I'm guessing I'll remain seated for a good 90% of the show when I see them on Wednesday.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
I honestly don't remember how it went last time at Radio City. I'll follow the lead of whoever had the seats in front of me.
Photobucket sucks.