Author Topic: 2016-04-23 - Radio City Music Hall - Manhattan, NY MEETUP & Concert Discussion  (Read 54135 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Does anyone know the best airport to fly into if you're coming in from out of town? I don't know if LGA or JFK is closer to Radio City by a significant amount.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Does anyone know the best airport to fly into if you're coming in from out of town? I don't know if LGA or JFK is closer to Radio City by a significant amount.

It takes about the same time to get to midtown from LGA, JFK, or EWR.  Give or take some depending on traffic.  I say go with whatever flight is the cheapest or timing or whatever suits your needs.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
It takes about the same time to get to midtown from LGA, JFK, or EWR.  Give or take some depending on traffic.  I say go with whatever flight is the cheapest or timing or whatever suits your needs.
If it makes a difference, Newark and JFK are better if you prefer transit to a cab -- both have an AirTrain connection to commuter rail (NJ Transit and Long Island RR, respectively) that will take you to Penn Station.  LaGuardia, you'll want a cab unless you're excited to take a bus to a subway...
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm flying into EWR, it was cheap and the train aspect was appealing.  I haven't been to Manhattan since '93, so I'm pretty excited.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:57:21 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
EWR has always been my airport of choice. It's a quick shot to the train station and the airport itself isn't that awful. I've also never sat on the tarmac 18th for departure there, which I've heard does come up sometimes at LGA or JFK.

Proximity to RCMH is irreverent. You're going to ride a train and likely several subways any way you slice it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
EWR has always been my airport of choice. It's a quick shot to the train station and the airport itself isn't that awful. I've also never sat on the tarmac 18th for departure there, which I've heard does come up sometimes at LGA or JFK.

Proximity to RCMH is irreverent. You're going to ride a train and likely several subways any way you slice it.

I always fly out of EWR, just because its only 30 minutes from me.... but I don't think I've ever heard "airport itself isn't that awful" because it is pretty awful.  Usually ranked near the bottom in US airports. 

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark

I always fly out of EWR, just because its only 30 minutes from me.... but I don't think I've ever heard "airport itself isn't that awful" because it is pretty awful.  Usually ranked near the bottom in US airports.

Beats the hell out of LGA.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Yeah, I would never use LGA either. I was pleased with Newark both times I used it, so good luck getting me to change that, what with my fear of flying.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Yeah, I would never use LGA either. I was pleased with Newark both times I used it, so good luck getting me to change that, what with my fear of flying.
Funny. The only time I've ever thought there was a good chance I might crash and die was on final at EWR the day of the Score show. Thirty knot crosswinds gusting into the 40s with a light drizzle. I enjoyed the experience of a crab landing, but I wasn't hugely confident about making the show alive.  :lol

And I chose the words isn't that awful rather deliberately.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Oh my...  :lol 

I don't know how people travel on a monthly basis without taking years off their life.   :eek

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Having a relaxed attitude towards dying certainly helps.  :lol

In my case, having a good understanding of what it takes for a plane to crash, and how terribly unlikely it is, leads me to have very little concern about safety. I rather enjoy the flying part of it. I just dislike being crammed into a small seat surrounded by annoying strangers. The rewards of going to neat places invariably trumps the 3-10 hours of suckiness, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
And I chose the words isn't that awful rather deliberately.

I know you did, so did I  :lol

In reality, EWR has been getting a make over and the food/drink is much better and also every seat has an Ipad to order what you want, at least in Terminal C where United operates.  Parts are still under construction, but it's definitely improved.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Having a relaxed attitude towards dying certainly helps.  :lol

In my case, having a good understanding of what it takes for a plane to crash, and how terribly unlikely it is, leads me to have very little concern about safety. I rather enjoy the flying part of it. I just dislike being crammed into a small seat surrounded by annoying strangers. The rewards of going to neat places invariably trumps the 3-10 hours of suckiness, though.

That's just the problem. I'm acrophobic and claustrophobic. I know how rare it is for a plane to crash. I know I'm technically safer in a plane than in a car. This isn't about logic for me.  :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
Spared no expense last night boys. Bought a couple of tickets for solid seats, bought a couple of plane tickets, and got a hotel room only a few minutes walk from Radio City. This is going to be an awesome mini-vacation!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
That's awesome. At what hotel are you staying?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nice, I got a hotel room too, even though I don't live that far away like the rest of you.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member

I believe it's called the Warwick.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh my...  :lol 

I don't know how people travel on a monthly basis without taking years off their life.   :eek

Valium works....  :hat  My ex was NOT a fan of flying, we just valiumed her up.  She did end up doing some hypnosis sessions for it, and it worked.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I use zquil to pass out when I fly.  My boss uses zquil and a whiskey.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

I believe it's called the Warwick.

That's a nice looking hotel.

Valium works....  :hat  My ex was NOT a fan of flying, we just valiumed her up.  She did end up doing some hypnosis sessions for it, and it worked.

I use zquil to pass out when I fly.  My boss uses zquil and a whiskey.

I used xanax when I flew. It takes the edge off and I'm somewhat bearable to the people around me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
LOL. After touting myself as the fearless flyer, I'm stuck trying to decide if I want to save a bundle by flying a discount Mexican carrier operating CRJs built by Sukhoi down to DF. Honestly, the Sukhoi superjets sound rather intriguing to me; I don't mind smaller airplanes. However, my knowledge of global hiring practices makes me a wee be skittish about the carrier.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
You mean, like those scenes from a movie where there's just one parachute on board and the pilot is doing lines off the stewardesses back?  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
You mean, like those scenes from a movie where there's just one parachute on board and the pilot is doing lines off the stewardesses back?  :lol
Eh, depending on the quality of the stewardess that probably wouldn't trouble me much. My concern is basic stick and rudder skills, which a lot of the newer pilots lack.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
I'm getting anxiety thinking about this. I could never get on some double engine aircraft.  I get what you're saying though. Most pilots can't handle anything other than full-size planes.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Anybody still looking for tickets?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
If I knew they were going to have an orchestra for this show I'd buy a pair right now! Any news on an orchestra show yet?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
If I knew they were going to have an orchestra for this show I'd buy a pair right now! Any news on an orchestra show yet?

Not that I heard and honestly doubt it would be this show since that's been done before at this venue.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
But this could also be an especially special night.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
But this could also be an especially special night.

Could be?  It BETTER be!!!!    ;D  Starting to get pumped up for the cross country trek!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
For how long are you staying on the right coast?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
I arrive Friday afternoon and return to LA on Sunday afternoon.  I have a whirlwind turnaround, I fly out Tues. morn to Cozumel for 18 days of glorious diving and relaxation.  I want to make the most of what lil time I'll have in the City.  Haven't been to NYC since '93.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
I arrive Friday afternoon and return to LA on Sunday afternoon.  I have a whirlwind turnaround, I fly out Tues. morn to Cozumel for 18 days of glorious diving and relaxation.  I want to make the most of what lil time I'll have in the City.  Haven't been to NYC since '93.

Well, I plan on making the day of the concert a whole day in the city, so if there's somewhere specific you want to go, maybe we can gather a few others together. After that you can sneak me on the plane to Cozumel.   ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Well, I plan on making the day of the concert a whole day in the city, so if there's somewhere specific you want to go, maybe we can gather a few others together. After that you can sneak me on the plane to Cozumel.   ;)

Sneak me in as well  :lol  I will probably get to the city mid afternoon. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Sneak me in as well  :lol  I will probably get to the city mid afternoon.

:lol

Just to show how much of a geek I am, I'd probably pass up the vacation so I could be home to watch Game of Thrones that weekend. Or maybe that just makes me a jackass.  :lol